Should Maicon Have Seen Red?

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Well, should he have gone?

Yes
75%
No
25%

Total votes : 52

Re: Should Maicon Have Seen Red?

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:58 am

Wonderwall wrote:
I really dont understand your argument for a yellow. Aguero is favourite to reach the pass, he is the closest opposition player to goal, the only defender that can possibly defend against the threat, decides to foul Aguero intentionally. Its a red card all day long

Fair enough, we'll agree to disagree, I just can't see how you can determine that Aguero definitely reaches that pass and how you expect the ref to determine that without the benefit of replay.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Euthanasia

Postby stevefromdonny » Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:16 am

it was a penalty and a sending off
stevefromdonny
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: man city
My favourite player is: any1 who plays for city

Postby lets all have a disco » Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:36 am

No but he should have seen the back of Clichy consistantly and didnt.
He was never me,me,me but always you,you,you
lets all have a disco
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: Manchester City FC
My favourite player is: STILL MICAH RICHARDS

Postby nottsblue » Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:14 pm

Personally didn't think it warranted a red card. If that had been Vinny or Mdm I doubt we'd be happy to be a man down for that challenge after 5 minutes. Debateable whether Aguero would have got to the ball first. He may have. He may not. It is not clear cut even with a replay so giving the benefit of doubt to the defender after just 5 minutes, I don't have a problem with. A penalty was awarded as well.

The more pertinant point for me is why, after having a yellow after just five minutes, did we not switch Navas over and give him a roasting. He is slow as fuck yet not once did anyone take him on. Truly baffling
nottsblue
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby Nigels Tackle » Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:39 pm

nottsblue wrote:Personally didn't think it warranted a red card. If that had been Vinny or Mdm I doubt we'd be happy to be a man down for that challenge after 5 minutes. Debateable whether Aguero would have got to the ball first. He may have. He may not. It is not clear cut even with a replay so giving the benefit of doubt to the defender after just 5 minutes, I don't have a problem with. A penalty was awarded as well.

The more pertinant point for me is why, after having a yellow after just five minutes, did we not switch Navas over and give him a roasting. He is slow as fuckyet not once did anyone take him on. Truly baffling

yet we made him look rapid last night
ARMCHAIR FAN
Nigels Tackle
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Alan Oakes' 668 Games

Supporter of: man love
My favourite player is: riyad meh!rez

Postby Original Dub » Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:43 pm

Of course it's a red.

If that happened just over the fucking halfway line and he was the last man, it's a red. Never mind six yards out!

Some of you are fucking mental.
Original Dub

Postby gmercer1 » Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:44 pm

Red all day long simple as that.
gmercer1
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: Man City
My favourite player is: Aguero

Postby Slim » Thu Oct 02, 2014 4:06 am

Under the laws of the game, it's a red. I don't agree it should be(some rules are clearly wrong)but I don't have to for it to be a red.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Original Dub » Thu Oct 02, 2014 7:18 am

Slim wrote:Under the laws of the game, it's a red. I don't agree it should be(some rules are clearly wrong)but I don't have to for it to be a red.

I don't particularly like the rule either, but it is a rule as you say.
Original Dub

Postby City64 » Thu Oct 02, 2014 11:20 am

The game was reffed to orders yet again , no wonder no fucker turns up.
Not really here

Fuck VAR
City64
Paul Power's Tash

Location: Urmston, Shevington , The Etihad , In a bar anywhere watching MCFC
Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby dazby » Thu Oct 02, 2014 11:59 am

What the? 34 of you are having a laugh. If that happens down the other end and we cop a red card you'd be screaming blue murder and conspiracies abound. The ref got it spot on.
Attack the argument of the person, not the person of the argument- except Carl.
dazby
Joe Mercer's OBE

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Ed

Postby Bridge'srightfoot » Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:13 pm

It's very hard to tell, even with the benefit of a replay whether Aguero would have reached that ball, it was by no means a guarantee and it's therefore hard to categorize it as a 'clear goalscoring opportunity'.
Yellow card and a penalty for me.
Bridge'srightfoot
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: City

Postby Wonderwall » Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:29 pm

dazby wrote:What the? 34 of you are having a laugh. If that happens down the other end and we cop a red card you'd be screaming blue murder and conspiracies abound. The ref got it spot on.

If Komps did that to their striker in our box, I wouldnt be screaming at the ref, I would be screaming at Komps for being a dick
Wonderwall
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Gods own team

Postby Original Dub » Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:31 pm

Bridge'srightfoot wrote:It's very hard to tell, even with the benefit of a replay whether Aguero would have reached that ball, it was by no means a guarantee and it's therefore hard to categorize it as a 'clear goalscoring opportunity'.
Yellow card and a penalty for me.

That's ridiculous.

It doesn't have to be a "guarantee" that he would have reached the ball, as that would be impossible of course - in every case in fact.. He had a clear OPPORTUNITY to reach the ball and score and was denied that.

Simple.
Original Dub

Postby Tokyo Blue » Thu Oct 02, 2014 2:09 pm

Foreverinbluedreams wrote:
Wonderwall wrote:
I really dont understand your argument for a yellow. Aguero is favourite to reach the pass, he is the closest opposition player to goal, the only defender that can possibly defend against the threat, decides to foul Aguero intentionally. Its a red card all day long

Fair enough, we'll agree to disagree, I just can't see how you can determine that Aguero definitely reaches that pass and how you expect the ref to determine that without the benefit of replay.

We don't know because he was fouled. The opportunity was taken away therefore as he was right in front of the goals it is a red card.
Your right leg I like; I've got nothing against your right leg. The trouble is neither have you.
Tokyo Blue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Postby Original Dub » Thu Oct 02, 2014 2:15 pm

I'm baffled that there is confusion over this.

That ball had "toe poke into the back of the net" written all over it. Aguero's bread and butter
Original Dub

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Thu Oct 02, 2014 2:17 pm

Tokyo Blue wrote:
Wonderwall wrote:

We don't know because he was fouled. The opportunity was taken away therefore as he was right in front of the goals it is a red card.

We don't know and can't know, therefore the ref has no choice but to give yellow because he can't know for sure whether it would've resulted in a ' clear goal-scoring opportunity'.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby Tokyo Blue » Thu Oct 02, 2014 2:22 pm

Tokyo Blue wrote:
Wonderwall wrote:

We don't know and can't know, therefore the ref has no choice but to give yellow because he can't know for sure whether it would've resulted in a ' clear goal-scoring opportunity'.

Where it happens proves it's a clear goalscoring opportunity, eight yards from goal, slightly left of centre. Young Maicon was also guilty of intending to deny Aguero a clear opportunity, or are you going to argue he did it accidentally? And intention is enough for the red.
Your right leg I like; I've got nothing against your right leg. The trouble is neither have you.
Tokyo Blue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Thu Oct 02, 2014 2:31 pm

Tokyo Blue wrote:
Tokyo Blue wrote:
Wonderwall wrote:

Where it happens proves it's a clear goalscoring opportunity, eight yards from goal, slightly left of centre. Young Maicon was also guilty of intending to deny Aguero a clear opportunity, or are you going to argue he did it accidentally? And intention is enough for the red.

Why would I argue that it was an accident? That's absurd! My argument is that if the ref is not sure that a 'clear goalscoring opportunity' was denied he can't give a red, and the fact that even with the benefit of replay there's no guarantee that a 'clear goalscoring opportunity' would have materialised he had no choice but to give yellow for a deliberate foul.

If a corner is taken and a defender pulls back a striker that looks like he may get his head on the corner and the referee awards a penalty, should he then send the defender off?
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby PrezIke » Thu Oct 02, 2014 3:13 pm

lets all have a disco wrote:No but he should have seen the back of Clichy consistantly and didnt.

this was probably a key factor as to why pellegrini started clichy over kolarov. didn't quite pan out did it?
PrezIke
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: KDBeezy

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum