African Cup Of Nations - Morocco Call For Cancellation

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

African Cup Of Nations - Morocco Call For Cancellation

Postby Beefymcfc » Sat Oct 11, 2014 10:28 am

Just reading that Morocco have called for the ACoN to be cancelled due to the EVD. Surely they can't play this with what is going on in Africa?
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Re: African Cup Of Nations - Morocco Call For Cancellation

Postby Dameerto » Sat Oct 11, 2014 11:14 am

I'd say it would be highly likely that it will be postponed (if not cancelled).
VIVA EL CITIES

"The adjudicatory chamber of the Ethics Committee ... has banned Mr Joseph S. Blatter ... for eight years and Mr Michel Platini ... for eight years from all football-related activities (administrative, sports or any other) on a national and international level. The bans come into force immediately." - 21/12/2015
Dameerto
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: El City
My favourite player is: Sergio Forwardo

Postby Beefymcfc » Sat Oct 11, 2014 12:11 pm

Dameerto wrote:I'd say it would be highly likely that it will be postponed (if not cancelled).

With what's going on there I can't see this being cleared up overnight. The devastation that it is causing and the sheer size of such an operation to keep the contagion under control would suggest that this won't be just postponed.

The question for me is, why is it only being mooted now?
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby nottsblue » Sat Oct 11, 2014 2:51 pm

Africa is a big place though. It has been contained mainly to the three countries in West Africa. Not to trivialise this is any way, but we are as close as say South Africa. From a City view I'd love for this to be cancelled as it means we don't lose Yaya.

Can't see the tournament being cancelled. Maybe move it to Qatar to give them some practce
nottsblue
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby Beefymcfc » Sat Oct 11, 2014 6:13 pm

nottsblue wrote:Africa is a big place though. It has been contained mainly to the three countries in West Africa. Not to trivialise this is any way, but we are as close as say South Africa. From a City view I'd love for this to be cancelled as it means we don't lose Yaya.

Can't see the tournament being cancelled. Maybe move it to Qatar to give them some practce

I understand what you are saying but the likes of the Ivory Coast are just around the corner and with all the deaths, and possible further fatalities, should they be celebrating their football whilst this is going on?

This is no longer seen as an epidemic, it is now becoming pandemic with many of the growth nations providing support and assistance to ensure it doesn't spread further. Not to sound too over the top but this is becoming a world event and countries who have kept them at arms length are now realising more needs to be done, just to protect themselves.

Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby nottsblue » Sat Oct 11, 2014 7:15 pm

Beefymcfc wrote:
nottsblue wrote:Africa is a big place though. It has been contained mainly to the three countries in West Africa. Not to trivialise this is any way, but we are as close as say South Africa. From a City view I'd love for this to be cancelled as it means we don't lose Yaya.

I understand what you are saying but the likes of the Ivory Coast are just around the corner and with all the deaths, and possible further fatalities, should they be celebrating their football whilst this is going on?

This is no longer seen as an epidemic, it is now becoming pandemic with many of the growth nations providing support and assistance to ensure it doesn't spread further. Not to sound too over the top but this is becoming a world event and countries who have kept them at arms length are now realising more needs to be done, just to protect themselves.

Think the authourities will give themselves as much time as they can before cancelling a tournament. Whether this is dubious for football reasons is open to debate. Like you say, thousands have already died and many more probably will, making any football played an irrelevance. For humanitarian reasons it shouldn't be staged.

However, when did FIFA ever give a fuck about anything but making money
nottsblue
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby BlueinBosnia » Sun Oct 12, 2014 9:41 am

nottsblue wrote:Africa is a big place though. It has been contained mainly to the three countries in West Africa. Not to trivialise this is any way, but we are as close as say South Africa.

That's a good point. There is a good chance that all 'high risk' nations will have been eliminated in the qualifiers. These are going on at the moment, with Guinea playing a double-header with Ghana, and Sierra Leone against Cameroon, although home games for the affected countries have been moved to neutral venues.
"Ferguson. Žvaka kurac."
(Ferguson. Chewing-gum cock.)
Old man in a bar in rural Bosnia.
BlueinBosnia
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: Team Bridge

Postby PeterParker » Sun Oct 12, 2014 12:01 pm

I don't think it will be cancelled.

If you recall in 2012, we had the wars in Libya, Egypt, etc and the competition went and was played. Plus, 2010 i think, when the Togo national teams bus was shot by rebels while going to Angola.
PeterParker
Roberto Mancini's Scarf

Supporter of: The Blue Moon blues
My favourite player is: King Mike

Postby Beefymcfc » Sun Oct 12, 2014 12:52 pm

Some good points there and it looks like the powers that be don't really give 2 chuffs about their people and will stage the event whatever the situation. In fact, didn't they even play it 2 years on the trot a few years back?

Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby PeterParker » Sun Oct 12, 2014 1:11 pm

Beefymcfc wrote:Some good points there and it looks like the powers that be don't really give 2 chuffs about their people and will stage the event whatever the situation. In fact, didn't they even play it 2 years on the trot a few years back?

Yes, but they did that to change the system.

Basically, they wanted to change the even and odd year for the competition to be held when the World Cup or European Championship is not held. Like Copa America is and the Asian Cup.

PS: Just Googled and the African Cup of Nations Starts in 17 january and Asian Cup in 9 january. Madness. How the hell do they allow two big continental competitions to be held at the same time?
PeterParker
Roberto Mancini's Scarf

Supporter of: The Blue Moon blues
My favourite player is: King Mike

Postby DoomMerchant » Sun Oct 12, 2014 1:38 pm

PeterParker wrote:
PS: Just Googled and the African Cup of Nations Starts in 17 january and Asian Cup in 9 january. Madness. How the hell do they allow two big continental competitions to be held at the same time?

dolla dolla bills y'all.

cheers
viVa el ciTy!

"All things considered, there's absolutely no escape from this hellish situation. I'm prepared to take the coward's way out if you are. It's reincarnation or nothing." -- Gideon Stargrave

DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: MCFC. OK.
My favourite player is: The Game

Postby Blue Since 76 » Sun Oct 12, 2014 3:04 pm

Many more will die of malaria or a lack of clean water or starvation every year than will die of Ebola, so I don't see there being a humanitarian reason not to play it. If we cancelled sporting events for every tragedy, there'd be no sport. And whilst it'd be nice for FIFA to do something for the affected countries, the tournament doesn't happen until January, so if the international community hasn't done something by then, I don't think we can blame FIFA for being the heartless ones.

It may be decided that encouraging travel within Africa is a bad idea, meaning it gets cancelled, but I'd really hope they'd contained this by then. Maybe the fact that a number of westerners now appear to have caught it might mean we actually see something being done to help Africa.
Blue Since 76
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby sheblue » Mon Oct 13, 2014 2:48 pm

It wont be cancelled too much money will be lost.
sheblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: city
My favourite player is: silva

Postby Bluez » Mon Oct 13, 2014 4:23 pm

Blue Since 76 wrote:Many more will die of malaria or a lack of clean water or starvation every year than will die of Ebola, so I don't see there being a humanitarian reason not to play it. If we cancelled sporting events for every tragedy, there'd be no sport. And whilst it'd be nice for FIFA to do something for the affected countries, the tournament doesn't happen until January, so if the international community hasn't done something by then, I don't think we can blame FIFA for being the heartless ones.

It may be decided that encouraging travel within Africa is a bad idea, meaning it gets cancelled, but I'd really hope they'd contained this by then. Maybe the fact that a number of westerners now appear to have caught it might mean we actually see something being done to help Africa.

The difference with Malaria, water and starvation is that they are actually preventable/ treatable. Ebola is easily transmitted in a poorly educated environment and there is very little that can be done for you when you get it. Promoting mass people movement and congregating them in football grounds while Ebola is out of control is just plain crazy. All it would need is one or two to pass it on, then everyone flies home.....
Light travels faster than sound.
Thats why some people appear bright until they open their mouth.

DISCLAIMER- My views are mine alone, and probably rubbish anyway.
Bluez

Postby ruralblue » Mon Oct 13, 2014 5:13 pm

I don't think football associations will have a say over the matter if it carries on at the rate it's going. Yes it's only in certain areas of Africa at the moment but with internal travel and then mass travel back then it increases risk. A risk I don't think the world health organisation will want to take.

As the point was raised Malaria may well bring more deaths each year but in countries with poor health services and lax vaccinations. On that thought you could say more folks die in this country from alcohol related illness. However the fact remains they have no known cure for Ebola and the death rates continue to rise.
I haven't a fecking clue what I'm doing! Gillie come back man I want my sig back. As the Photobucket thingy gone?
ruralblue
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Supporter of: MANCHESTER CITY
My favourite player is: KOMPANY / SILVA

Postby Dameerto » Mon Oct 13, 2014 5:24 pm

It depends what happens in the next two months, if there's no sign the outbreak is dying out I can't see the tournament going ahead in January precisely because of the risk of spreading.
VIVA EL CITIES

"The adjudicatory chamber of the Ethics Committee ... has banned Mr Joseph S. Blatter ... for eight years and Mr Michel Platini ... for eight years from all football-related activities (administrative, sports or any other) on a national and international level. The bans come into force immediately." - 21/12/2015
Dameerto
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Postby Blue Since 76 » Mon Oct 13, 2014 8:09 pm

Bluez wrote:
Blue Since 76 wrote:Many more will die of malaria or a lack of clean water or starvation every year than will die of Ebola, so I don't see there being a humanitarian reason not to play it. If we cancelled sporting events for every tragedy, there'd be no sport. And whilst it'd be nice for FIFA to do something for the affected countries, the tournament doesn't happen until January, so if the international community hasn't done something by then, I don't think we can blame FIFA for being the heartless ones.

The difference with Malaria, water and starvation is that they are actually preventable/ treatable. Ebola is easily transmitted in a poorly educated environment and there is very little that can be done for you when you get it. Promoting mass people movement and congregating them in football grounds while Ebola is out of control is just plain crazy. All it would need is one or two to pass it on, then everyone flies home.....

As I said, if it's still in the state it's currently in, you'd probably have to cancel it on health grounds. And whilst Ebola isn't treatable yet, it is pretty preventable with clean water, decent sanitation etc. Maybe if we ever fix Africa's problems, we might be able to reduce the risk of these sorts if diseases wiping us all out. Win win.
Blue Since 76
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Nigels Tackle » Mon Oct 13, 2014 11:10 pm

Blue Since 76 wrote:
Bluez wrote:

As I said, if it's still in the state it's currently in, you'd probably have to cancel it on health grounds. And whilst Ebola isn't treatable yet, it is pretty preventable with clean water, decent sanitation etc. Maybe if we ever fix Africa's problems, we might be able to reduce the risk of these sorts if diseases wiping us all out. Win win.

why fix problems that you can make money from!?

make it worse...
ARMCHAIR FAN
Nigels Tackle
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Alan Oakes' 668 Games

Supporter of: man love
My favourite player is: riyad meh!rez

Postby Fidel Castro » Sat Oct 18, 2014 8:04 am

Africa is a massive continent. I'm sure some people just see it as one country. How would ebola in Sierra Leone or Liberia affect people in Morocco, Tanzania or Zimbabwe?
Fidel Castro
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: City

Postby Dameerto » Sat Oct 18, 2014 8:42 am

Fidel Castro wrote:Africa is a massive continent. I'm sure some people just see it as one country. How would ebola in Sierra Leone or Liberia affect people in Morocco, Tanzania or Zimbabwe?

Ask them after an infected person has travelled there, mingled with a crowd of 50k, and then started showing signs of the illness afterwards. It would be impossible to contain in those circumstances as there would be no way to track down everyone the infected person had come in contact with, and something contained to west Africa would suddenly have a chance of breaking out.
VIVA EL CITIES

Dameerto
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Next

Return to The Maine Football forum