African Cup Of Nations - Morocco Call For Cancellation

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: African Cup Of Nations - Morocco Call For Cancellation

Postby CuteMancs » Sat Oct 18, 2014 9:00 am

As far as I know it's not an airborne virus, so unless the crowd are doing something to exchange bodily fluids, it would be very difficult to catch

I usually treat my body like a temple. Last night I treated mine like a whorehouse above a liquor store next to a motherfucking Taco Bell.
CuteMancs
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: MCFC

Postby Dameerto » Sat Oct 18, 2014 9:08 am

sneezing/sweating/spitting etc, it can live for a few hours once outside the body. All it takes is one person thinking he has flu attending the opening/closing ceremony and the entire continent has a potential nightmare.
VIVA EL CITIES

"The adjudicatory chamber of the Ethics Committee ... has banned Mr Joseph S. Blatter ... for eight years and Mr Michel Platini ... for eight years from all football-related activities (administrative, sports or any other) on a national and international level. The bans come into force immediately." - 21/12/2015
Dameerto
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: El City
My favourite player is: Sergio Forwardo

Postby Socrates » Sat Oct 18, 2014 9:17 am

Dameerto wrote:sneezing/sweating/spitting etc, it can live for a few hours once outside the body. All it takes is one person thinking he has flu attending the opening/closing ceremony and the entire continent has a potential nightmare.

It only lives a few minutes at most outside the body unless contained in a pool of blood or vomit. It is only infectious during the period of extreme illness, not before hand.
Manchester : New York : Melbourne : Yokohama
Socrates
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: st marks (gorton)

Postby Dameerto » Sat Oct 18, 2014 9:39 am

Socrates wrote:
It only lives a few minutes at most outside the body unless contained in a pool of blood or vomit. It is only infectious during the period of extreme illness, not before hand.

That is categorically untrue. It can survive for several hours dried onto something such as a hand rail or door knob - and anyone displaying symptoms is infectious.
VIVA EL CITIES

"The adjudicatory chamber of the Ethics Committee ... has banned Mr Joseph S. Blatter ... for eight years and Mr Michel Platini ... for eight years from all football-related activities (administrative, sports or any other) on a national and international level. The bans come into force immediately." - 21/12/2015
Dameerto
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Postby Socrates » Sat Oct 18, 2014 9:50 am

Dameerto wrote:
Socrates wrote:

That is categorically untrue. It can survive for several hours dried onto something such as a hand rail or door knob - and anyone displaying symptoms is infectious.

Totally wrong, the vast majority of people getting ill do so through cleaning up infected blood or vomit. Risk from inanimate objects such as airline seats is zero.
Manchester : New York : Melbourne : Yokohama
Socrates
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: st marks (gorton)

Postby Nigels Tackle » Sat Oct 18, 2014 10:10 am

Socrates wrote:
Dameerto wrote:
Socrates wrote:

Totally wrong, the vast majority of people getting ill do so through cleaning up infected blood or vomit. Risk from inanimate objects such as airline seats is zero.

what about licking toilet seats?
ARMCHAIR FAN
Nigels Tackle
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Alan Oakes' 668 Games

Supporter of: man love
My favourite player is: riyad meh!rez

Postby Dameerto » Sat Oct 18, 2014 10:14 am

Socrates wrote:

From the World Health organisation:

The incubation period, or the time interval from infection to onset of symptoms, is from 2 to 21 days. The patients become contagious once they begin to show symptoms.

And from the CDC:

Ebola is killed with hospital-grade disinfectants (such as household bleach). Ebola dried on surfaces such as doorknobs and countertops can survive for several hours; however, virus in body fluids (such as blood) can survive up to several days at room temperature.

Assuming no break in the skin, the usual route into the body is through the mucous membranes so hand contract transferred to eyes/nose/mouth is common.
VIVA EL CITIES

Dameerto
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Postby Fidel Castro » Sat Oct 18, 2014 10:47 am

Dameerto wrote:
Fidel Castro wrote:Africa is a massive continent. I'm sure some people just see it as one country. How would ebola in Sierra Leone or Liberia affect people in Morocco, Tanzania or Zimbabwe?

Ask them after an infected person has travelled there, mingled with a crowd of 50k, and then started showing signs of the illness afterwards. It would be impossible to contain in those circumstances as there would be no way to track down everyone the infected person had come in contact with, and something contained to west Africa would suddenly have a chance of breaking out.

There's just as much chance someone from Liberia or Sierra Leone will attend a game in the premier league. Should be cancel that as well?
Fidel Castro
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: City

Postby BlueinBosnia » Sat Oct 18, 2014 11:12 am

Fidel Castro wrote:
Dameerto wrote:
Fidel Castro wrote:Africa is a massive continent. I'm sure some people just see it as one country. How would ebola in Sierra Leone or Liberia affect people in Morocco, Tanzania or Zimbabwe?

Ask them after an infected person has travelled there, mingled with a crowd of 50k, and then started showing signs of the illness afterwards. It would be impossible to contain in those circumstances as there would be no way to track down everyone the infected person had come in contact with, and something contained to west Africa would suddenly have a chance of breaking out.

There's just as much chance someone from Liberia or Sierra Leone will attend a game in the premier league. Should be cancel that as well?

There's far less chance of that happening, actually. And even far less of a risk of Ebola from it.

First, people will be screened upon arrival into the country. It's not about nationality, but where you're actually travelling from.

Second, people with the means and desire to obtain a visa and travel to the UK will be more likely to be educated about the virus and its symptoms. They will also enter the country using border crossings that will be staffed and equipped in such a way as to minimise the risk.

Third, were someone to actually attend a PL game and test positive for Ebola, surveillance systems and seating plans at games would help identify people who have been potentially exposed far better than a system of buy-on-the-door and sit-where-you-like as will be used in ACON, due to its piss-poor ticket sales (Sudan v Burkina Faso in 2012 Group B drew a crowd of 132).

Fourth, the majority of people attending PL games in the UK will go to the game and then go home, not while away their time in a major city while awaiting the next group game, visiting shopping centres, cinemas, bars, etc.

Attending a Premier League game is far from risk-free, but there are mechanisms in place to reduce the spread of Ebola before and during matches. Morocco itself has admitted that they do not believe that they have the capacity to impose anywhere near secure enough mechanisms.
"Ferguson. Žvaka kurac."
(Ferguson. Chewing-gum cock.)
Old man in a bar in rural Bosnia.
BlueinBosnia
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: Team Bridge

Postby Fidel Castro » Sat Oct 18, 2014 11:28 am

Seeing as there is a good chance neither country will qualify, I think there will be more people from those countries willing to travel to the UK. A lot of people support pl teams, whereas I dont think theyll give a fuck about attending Morocco vs. Tunisia
Fidel Castro
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: City

Postby Beefymcfc » Sat Oct 18, 2014 11:30 am

Well, all's I know is that we are taking very serious precautions and have planned for a minimum period to hopefully contain the outbreak, and it's not in the 'weeks'.
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby BlueinBosnia » Sat Oct 18, 2014 12:37 pm

Fidel Castro wrote:Seeing as there is a good chance neither country will qualify, I think there will be more people from those countries willing to travel to the UK. A lot of people support pl teams, whereas I dont think theyll give a fuck about attending Morocco vs. Tunisia

Well, apart from the tens of thousands of immigrants working in the mining industry in Guinea and Sierra Leone, plus all the bankers from all over Africa in Liberia (as well as other industries), who can travel to Morocco to see their home nation play for as little as $60 each way, then, yeah.
"Ferguson. Žvaka kurac."
(Ferguson. Chewing-gum cock.)
Old man in a bar in rural Bosnia.
BlueinBosnia
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: Team Bridge

Postby Mikhail Chigorin » Sat Oct 18, 2014 2:55 pm

I just worry that, in the UK, 'our' Government will be impressive at issuing soundbites and talking the talk, to make it look as though something positively constructive is being done.

However, when it comes down to properly organising resources and putting money where their collective mouths are, this abject set of political incompetents fill me with no confidence whatsoever.

I fear that no-one in these islands has any grounds for complacency, with regard to this global threat.
Mikhail Chigorin
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Bert Trautmann

Postby mr_nool » Sat Oct 18, 2014 3:10 pm

Mikhail Chigorin wrote:I just worry that, in the UK, 'our' Government will be impressive at issuing soundbites and talking the talk, to make it look as though something positively constructive is being done.

However, when it comes down to properly organising resources and putting money where their collective mouths are, this abject set of political incompetents fill me with no confidence whatsoever.

I fear that no-one in these islands has any grounds for complacency, with regard to this global threat.

The Ebola issue should have been handled 19 years ago during the last big out-break.
"The West" just didn't care as long as it was contained to a couple of obscure, west African countries.
But the WHO and the West has known what Ebola is and how dangerous it can be for a long long time.
Intelligent Vigilant Person
mr_nool
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Postby Beefymcfc » Sat Oct 18, 2014 4:05 pm

Mikhail Chigorin wrote:I just worry that, in the UK, 'our' Government will be impressive at issuing soundbites and talking the talk, to make it look as though something positively constructive is being done.

To be fair, they've reacted fairly quickly this time and get feet on the ground, in many guises, to ensure at least the ground is contained. They'll inevitably be some slips but that will have to be dealt with on a case by case basis.
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby blues2win » Sat Nov 08, 2014 10:34 pm

Morocco pulls out of hosting the competition. African football Confederation meet in Cairo to decide what to do. Cancellation a clear possibility.
blues2win
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: david silva

Postby Harrycollins » Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:56 am

It really wouldn't affect people from morocco etc as Africa is HUGE i think its a silly thing to do.
Harrycollins
Bianchi's Matchday Snood

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Joe Hart

Postby Ted Hughes » Tue Nov 11, 2014 11:02 am

I take it this is one tournament in difficulties the FA won't offer to host over here ?
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby ruralblue » Wed Nov 12, 2014 7:35 am

I have Ebola this morning. Went to bed a little shaky and all lemsipped up woke silly o' clock with the fever. It's really not ad bad as they make out just feels a tad like mild flu.
I haven't a fecking clue what I'm doing! Gillie come back man I want my sig back. As the Photobucket thingy gone?
ruralblue
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Supporter of: MANCHESTER CITY
My favourite player is: KOMPANY / SILVA

Postby Ted Hughes » Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:40 am

ruralblue wrote:I have Ebola this morning. Went to bed a little shaky and all lemsipped up woke silly o' clock with the fever. It's really not ad bad as they make out just feels a tad like mild flu.

It's probably just 'man Ebola'.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum