Fans attitude towards Champions League football

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Fans attitude towards Champions League football

Postby freshie » Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:17 pm

Goaters 103 wrote:The combination of high ticket prices, repeatedly pathetic City performances, poor atmosphere, gamesmanship by the players of all teams and abysmal refereeing has made me completely apathetic towards the whole thing, to the point where I wont be bothering with the group stages next season if we qualify for it....

That's exactly how I feel
freshie
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby patrickblue » Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:38 pm

FA cup winners 2006 wrote:
patrickblue wrote:
FA cup winners 2006 wrote:
MilnersJaw wrote:Rags in work today were going on about the champions league and how we've not won a game this year in it. I said I wasn't that arsed and that Id rather we win the Perm league consistently. They didn't understand and triednto slag me off for it. They think the chumps league is the holy Grail.

Got to agree with the rags here because i dont understand that thinking either. The CL is the holy grail to every professional footballer and to our owners. The only ones that dont seem interested in it is our own fans which is such small time thinking.

If we can become a contender for the CL, we will win more than our fair share of PL titles along the way

Rubbish. How is it small time thinking if you don't enjoy a particular competition.

And the holy grail to any professioal footballer should be playing for their country. Wanting C/L means wanting C/L wages, nothing else.

It's a bloody sheep thing, which is why rags and scouse keep on about it.

Of course every player is going to be more attached to their country than their club but club football pays their wages and occupies the majority of their career. The fact is that every professional player in the world wants to compete at the highest level and at the moment that is in the CL.

The only reason some of our fans dont like the competition is because we are shit in it. If we were regularly qualifying for the knock out stages i bet the attitude would be different. The fans who are saying they dont give a shit about the CL sound like sore losers.

All my points above still stand, we need the CL as it is the premier comp. and the best players in the world want to play in it and if some fans care more about playing Stoke at home than welcoming some of the biggest teams in Europe to really challenge us then that is small time thinking.

That's certainly not the reason I don't like the competition. I gave my reasons earlier.
I wouldn't agree that the competition is "needed" by anyone. It's there to make money and to keep the establishment clubs on their gravy train.
I support my team in it, that doen't mean I have to like the competition, or agree with it's elitist agenda.
And to describe anyone with different views as small minded and sore losers is just insulting.
[img]https://giphy.com/gifs/3o7qDYcso3azifQVyg/html5[/img]
patrickblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: The one and only Goat

Postby Tokyo Blue » Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:35 am

Fans see it is only the money that the club need. Players see it is only the money. Our players play in it as if it doesn't really matter. Not much different from us in that respect so I don't see how they can be criticised.

What we need is to do is win the league and then we are in Pot 1. Sorted.

Until uefa fiddle the draw again, dropping the balls on the floor (!) and we end up in yet another group of death, with referees giving shithouse decisions like no penalty for the foul on Silva in Munich, not sending Maicon off and CSKA's "penalty", then our fans get banned for another club's racism (against one of our players in fact) and then we and the players start to wonder why the fuck we are bothering.

It is a bent competition run by bent people for the benefit of their own pockets and bank balances. Everything wrong with football today is encapsulated in this one competition.
Your right leg I like; I've got nothing against your right leg. The trouble is neither have you.
Tokyo Blue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Postby Feed The Goat » Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:29 am

What i dont understand is for years I listened to city fans complaining about us not qualifying for Europe and as soon as we do whether its europa league or champions league the ones that were moaning the loudest don't attend.

We might not like how it's run corrupt etc but all football is corrupt so why do you watch Premier league games its just basically an English champions league there to keep the rich clubs rich.

In the CL we get to see City play some of Europe's best teams and the world's best players. I will continue to go and get behind my team. Those of you complaining about the atmosphere well do something about it stand and get loudly behind the team.
Mcf.net best app in the land and all the world
Feed The Goat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
De Jong's Tackle

Postby Piccsnumberoneblue » Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:36 am

Tokyo Blue wrote:Fans see it is only the money that the club need. Players see it is only the money. Our players play in it as if it doesn't really matter. Not much different from us in that respect so I don't see how they can be criticised.

Until uefa fiddle the draw again, dropping the balls on the floor (!) and we end up in yet another group of death, with referees giving shithouse decisions like no penalty for the foul on Silva in Munich, not sending Maicon off and CSKA's "penalty", then our fans get banned for another club's racism (against one of our players in fact) and then we and the players start to wonder why the fuck we are bothering.

It is a bent competition run by bent people for the benefit of their own pockets and bank balances. Everything wrong with football today is encapsulated in this one competition.

Amen to that. Pretty much the size of it.

For all those years I have been pointing out how crooked it is, suddenly loving it simply because we are involved would be hypocritical. A bit rag like in fact.
City and sniffing knickers.
Come on Blues.
Piccsnumberoneblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Supporter of: Us

Postby Piccsnumberoneblue » Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:37 am

Piccsnumberoneblue wrote:
Tokyo Blue wrote:Fans see it is only the money that the club need. Players see it is only the money. Our players play in it as if it doesn't really matter. Not much different from us in that respect so I don't see how they can be criticised.

Amen to that. Pretty much the size of it.

For all those years I have been pointing out how crooked it is, suddenly loving it simply because we are involved would be hypocritical. A bit rag like in fact.
Come on Blues.
Piccsnumberoneblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Cit.revenge » Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:32 am

That will all change once we make a great result in CL
You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer.
Cit.revenge

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Silva

Postby Piccsnumberoneblue » Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:51 am

Cit.revenge wrote:That will all change once we make a great result in CL

I don't think so. I have had great trips in Europe, seen us win three nil in Munich and at Vilareal but still feel no great love for the comp. The idea of bursting with pride at the Champions League music playing at our ground is alien to me.
Come on Blues.
Piccsnumberoneblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby zuricity » Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:03 am

I agree with the sentiment and to feed the goat i would add, the 'romance' of travelling around Europe loses it shine when it's mostly about filling your neck in local pubs to waste time before the kick off- because you can't get a pint at any games.
Time perhaps, that could be used for getting to know the City you are visiting. The expense becomes questionable.
"Well I'll go to the foot of our stairs."
zuricity
Joe Corrigan's Gloves

Postby london blue 2 » Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:56 am

I don't think so. I have had great trips in Europe, seen us win three nil in Munich and at Vilareal but still feel no great love for the comp. The idea of bursting with pride at the Champions League music playing at our ground is alien to me.

You'll see when we make a decent run all the fans will be excited, media hype will follow, big build up. We'll all be watching...

Then we will get shafted by a ref in the semi and everyone will say they don't care as its a shit competition.
london blue 2
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: MCFC

Postby Bridge'srightfoot » Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:59 am

london blue 2 wrote:

You'll see when we make a decent run all the fans will be excited, media hype will follow, big build up. We'll all be watching...

Then we will get shafted by a ref in the semi and everyone will say they don't care as its a shit competition.

Agree 100%. Like DoomMerchant says, it's like labeling a girl a bitch or horrible because she wouldn't go out with you! Makes you feel better but deep down you know it's not true.

Look at how gutted we were when we missed out to Spurs and subsequently how excited and happy we were when we qualified the next season.

Plus as someone else earlier mentioned, the majority of the accusations thrown at the CL could in some way also be thrown at the Premier League too, except we suck at the former and do rather well at the latter...

Once we perform in it and have some big European nights, all of a sudden we'll start to love it.
Bridge'srightfoot

Postby Beefymcfc » Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:09 am

It's quite obvious that we're all going to support our club in any competition and enjoy the moment, but when all is said and done we know exactly what the competition is about and when the enjoyment subsides (or anger in some cases) the brain matter kicks back in and we're back to 'What the competition is all about'.

I'd love us (Keegan'esque) to beat these teams, in what looks like in the face of adversity, and go on to win the thing. The thing is though, and from what I've seen, heard and read, it wouldn't be so much of a celebration ut more of a 'Fuck You' and in my minds Ieye, if I was a player on the pitch, I'd be walking straight off and giving an angry 'Bird' to the powers that be.

It would be a 'Shove that up your arse you twats, we've done it the hard way, and you know it!
Last edited by Beefymcfc on Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby Piccsnumberoneblue » Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:09 am

Bridge'srightfoot wrote:
london blue 2 wrote:

Agree 100%. Like DoomMerchant says, it's like labeling a girl a bitch or horrible because she wouldn't go out with you! Makes you feel better but deep down you know it's not true.

Look at how gutted we were when we missed out to Spurs and subsequently how excited and happy we were when we qualified the next season.

Plus as someone else earlier mentioned, the majority of the accusations thrown at the CL could in some way also be thrown at the Premier League too, except we suck at the former and do rather well at the latter...

Once we perform in it and have some big European nights, all of a sudden we'll start to love it.

We aren't fickle rags you know
Come on Blues.
Piccsnumberoneblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Wonderwall » Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:56 am

maybe we could persuade our fans by creating an atmosphere of Anfield proportions, did you see the scouse1 ground bouncing last night....no? Thought Not Guffawwww.
Wonderwall
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Gods own team

Postby Goaters 103 » Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:06 am

A Decent Blog Opinion by a City Fan, worth a read

DAVID MOONEY: Why I’m Sick of City in the Champions League

I’m sick of the Champions League. Sick of it. Sick to the back teeth of it. Sick to the stomach with it. Sick as a parrot over it. Sick to death, sick to the hill, and sick as a dog with it. I’m sicker than a man with a stomach upset who’s eaten too many sweets and glugged a gallon of salt water. I’m just sick of it.

When you were a kid and you’d misbehaved, there was always an angry reaction from parents. When they were angry, it was easy to deal with. Your body shuts down and lets the shouty sweary words bounce off the thick skin and deflect around the room. You just wait until it’s over and then you move on. But the times when there was no anger and just the crushing disappointment that your parents couldn’t even muster up the energy to be annoyed by what you’d done… those times were worse.

“I’m not angry, I’m disappointed,” is a phrase that still twangs on the heartstrings of many an adult simply because it was what they dreaded hearing from their parents at a tender young age.

Well, guess what. Manchester City: I’m not angry. I’m disappointed.

Yet again another chance in the Champions League has gone begging and I’m at the stage when I can’t even get angry about it anymore. I was angry at the pathetic showing in 2012-13, when the club became the first English side never to get a win in the group stage. I was angry when the Blues showed too much respect to Barcelona. But this year I no longer have that passion to care enough to get angry.

And for why? Well, because it’s only the numbers of the seasons that change. We’re being fed the line that the club is learning in the Champions League every time they’re in it, but they’re making the same mistakes again and again: too much respect, too open defensively, throwing away leads late on, being susceptible to bad decisions by not seeing games out. It would be – on some level – forgivable if they were making new mistakes.

Again, post-match with CSKA Moscow, we’re focusing on the smokescreen of a cheat who dived to win a penalty, a referee who fell for it and awarded it, and a stadium that should have been empty containing a couple of hundred home fans. That’s the perfect distraction for the cold, hard truth: Manchester City just aren’t good enough at European football.

I’m tired of the excuses. We’ve had a tough group again. We’ve had a bad decision go against us. We were unlucky. The worst one has been said several times by players and the manager: There are no excuses.

It’s actually quite laughable. “There are no excuses,” is beginning to sound like the party line that needs to be towed. They’re now empty words, said to appease the fans into thinking that something is being done to correct the faults that caused another disappointing result, when in reality the evidence on the pitch is very much to the contrary. There is a worrying lack of good performances and results against the medium-to-top European sides and it’s a trend that is now impossible to ignore.

CSKA Moscow is a difficult place to go. It was below freezing. It was an allegedly empty stadium. They’re no pushovers, either. Yet, City are a better side – they proved themselves to be the best in England last year for goodness sake – and they couldn’t win. A dive and a dodgy penalty must take some of the blame, but a significantly bigger proportion HAS to fall on both the players and the manager. Leading 2-0 in that situation at half time and drawing is criminal.

City were on top. City had chances to add to their tally. And that they haven’t seen out the win isn’t good enough; they’re no longer the newbies to the competition. They’ve had experience. And under-performing is becoming a habit.

Can anyone, hand on heart, say they felt the Blues deserved to take maximum points from Tuesday evening’s match? The first half was good, but the second half was sloppy, slow and disorganised to the point where it was only the circumstances of the equaliser that wasn’t fair and not the equaliser itself.

This isn’t the team that underestimated how good Napoli were going to be in the opening game in the competition. This isn’t the team that were systematically shut down by an imperious Bayern Munich in Germany in 2011, after having started well but not scored. This isn’t the team that panicked when leading in the Bernabeu with three minutes to play and lost. This isn’t the team that couldn’t cope with the system the manager employed in a disastrous 11 minutes in the Netherlands. This isn’t even the team that allowed Bayern Munich to waltz through the middle of the pitch for an hour last season or gave them and Barcelona too much respect.

These are all faults that are nowhere near dealt with. Panic and a lapse of concentration set in against Bayern Munich. An open midfield wasn’t shut down against Roma. And now a great start wasn’t capitalised on in Moscow.

This isn’t a side that should be just happy to be there. “Look how far we’ve come,” is one of the most destructive attitudes to have, because it settles for mediocrity. We’re blessed to have been given this chance and here we are failing to learn lessons.

The truth is, the other teams that have been drawn with City have had difficult groups. Those that have qualified have just got on with it, while City have felt aggrieved at the draw and the officiating and this and that and the other. It doesn’t really wash; the other teams have calls go for and against them, too. They’ve just made sure of the win when they’ve had the opportunity and City haven’t.

Manuel Pellegrini said in his post-match interviews that there were still nine points to play for so the Blues aren’t out of the competition. That’s true, however I’ll be mightily surprised if the club takes more than four points from the remaining three matches based on the evidence provided in the Champions League so far this season.

I’m sick of the excuses, I’m sick of the smokescreens, and I’m sick of the club’s failure in the competition – and it has to be deemed a failure so far; City are far better than they’ve shown up to this point over the course of the last four campaigns, difficult groups or not. In terms of the top teams – Bayern Munich, Real Madrid, Borussia Dortmund and Barcelona – City have won twice, drawn twice and lost seven times. And those two wins were effectively dead rubbers on both occasions.

Throw in the record against the marginally lesser teams – Ajax, Napoli and CSKA Moscow – and is doesn’t look much better. Against those teams, it’s won two, drawn three, lost two.

If by some miracle they’re able to turn around the form book and qualify from the group, then that needs to be the start of a change in mentality and a change in attitude to the top European competition. If – as is probably to be expected now – the club doesn’t get out of the group, then next season HAS to be different. No more excuses. No more “there are no excuses” post-match interviews after nothing’s changed.

The very fact that we have fans who are starting to feel apathetic towards the competition is alarming. And you can hardly blame them for feeling that way, either.
Goaters 103
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby Bridge'srightfoot » Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:29 am

Beefymcfc wrote:It's quite obvious that we're all going to support our club in any competition and enjoy the moment, but when all is said and done we know exactly what the competition is about and when the enjoyment subsides (or anger in some cases) the brain matter kicks back in and we're back to 'What the competition is all about'.

I'd love us (Keegan'esque) to beat these teams, in what looks like in the face of adversity, and go on to win the thing. The thing is though, and from what I've seen, heard and read, it wouldn't be so much of a celebration ut more of a 'Fuck You' and in my minds Ieye, if I was a player on the pitch, I'd be walking straight off and giving an angry 'Bird' to the powers that be.

It would be a 'Shove that up your arse you twats, we've done it the hard way, and you know it!

I understand why some are apprehensive towards this competition, but you frequently criticise the PL to the same proportions and rightly so, in many ways the PL is just as bad. Both are set up to keep the big teams in place and run by very questionable bodies so why do we choose to like one and not the other?

It really does seem a tad sore loser-ish tbh from our fans, (not aimed at you specifically). We're shit in it, so therefore it's a shit competition.
We all know if we had a good run, with a few Hamburg like atmospheres we'd all love it and be bouncing.

We were desperate to qualify a few years back, we spent years only dreaming of playing in the CL, and now we're in it , 'it's a shit competition'. It's not a shit competition, we just play shit in it.
Last edited by Bridge'srightfoot on Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bridge'srightfoot

Postby Ted Hughes » Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:51 am

Bridge'srightfoot wrote:
Beefymcfc wrote:It's quite obvious that we're all going to support our club in any competition and enjoy the moment, but when all is said and done we know exactly what the competition is about and when the enjoyment subsides (or anger in some cases) the brain matter kicks back in and we're back to 'What the competition is all about'.

I understand why some are apprehensive towards this competition, but you frequently criticise the PL to the same proportions and rightly so, in many ways the PL is just as bad. Both are set up to keep the big teams in place and run by very questionable bodies so why do we choose to like one and the other?

It really does seem a tad sore loser-ish tbh from our fans, (not aimed at you specifically). We're shit in it, so therefore it's a shit competition.
We all know if we had a good run, with a few Hamburg like atmospheres we'd all love it and be bouncing.

We were desperate to qualify a few years back, we spent years only dreaming of playing in the CL, and now we're in it , 'it's a shit competition'. It's not a shit competition, we just play shit in it.

The Premier League isn't as bad, & as mentioned in the piece above, City aren't as bad in it.

The Prem though is reaching saturation point for me now. The 'matchday experience' is not worth the money I have to fork out to see it. That's not down to the team, or the facilities, it's down to the fact that I'm one of 40k middle aged zombies, in a sanitised, plastic, atmosphere, with singing sections who stand up & don't sing, & what is the advantage of being there every other week when I could save time by watching it on tv ? The football is just as good, but you get replays etc as well. Ok, you can't see the whole pitch & the movement off the ball etc, but is it worth 700 quid for that ?

Maine Rd was an adventure. This isn't. It's crap. And the Champs League is just the same thing but much much worse, more corrupt & plastic, with the team playing like shit no matter what the opposition. The Barca game did my head in, They were fuck all, piss boring, cheating bunch of cunts, & had we been playing them in the Prem, we would have crushed them, but we couldn't string two passes together. There was no atmosphere.

That finished me with the Champions Lg. I will probably attend again, but not as a regular like in the Prem. I enjoyed the Lg Cup game v Sheff Wed more than any Champions Lg game I have been to, & will be going v Newcastle.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby Original Dub » Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:15 am

I dreamt of us playing in the Champions League because I used to love the drama of watching it as a neutral.

Now that I kick every ball, I just find it frustrates the shit out of me. I hate that the refs blow for every bit of contact, meaning the teams with the smallest/cheating/diving players tend to reach the latter stages. The ones who know how to "play the game".
"You have to adapt to the Champions League" is a common lump of shit line thrown at us from robot pundits. Adapt? Learn to work the ref more like.

We have a team built to play fair and that will work in every competition except the Champions League.
I want to win it, just to say we won everything.

Don't get me wrong, I'll still watch it. And I'll watch the latter stages after we're knocked out. Because I'll be neutral again and I can relax and watch the soap opera... enjoying it with a couple of beers and without it affecting me any more than the likes of True Detective or Breaking Bad did.
Original Dub

Postby DoomMerchant » Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:15 am

just wrote something similar to your last thought in the Games This Week thread. Pretty much how i see it. Easy to scoff at now with the pain of that shit capitulation still fresh, but in the next 3-5 seasons when we win the cunting fuck thing i'll want to jizz in the trophy and then bathe in it.

cheers
viVa el ciTy!

"All things considered, there's absolutely no escape from this hellish situation. I'm prepared to take the coward's way out if you are. It's reincarnation or nothing." -- Gideon Stargrave

DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: MCFC. OK.
My favourite player is: The Game

Postby Goaters 103 » Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:24 am

I think we should let you do that, and then post the trophy back to Platini.
Goaters 103
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum