Where were you when you were s**t (Gary James Blog)

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Where were you when you were s**t (Gary James Blog)

Postby Wonderwall » Thu Oct 23, 2014 3:13 pm

Great Article on the OS, the Blog from Gary James (Great read Gary), shame the club didn't endorse the whole article and instead they put a disclaimer on the bottom of it!

Gary James has been writing about the Blues for over 25 years - here is the seventh in his series of blogs...

There’s one football chant that irritates more than most at the moment.

It’s the one that questions the loyalty of City fans by asking, “Where were you etc….” You all know the one I mean. It has been heard at most domestic games this season and for the past few seasons. So for today’s blog I’ve decided to take a look at City’s support.

Let’s start off with our current attendances. Some have pointed out that these are lower than last year, but there’s a simple explanation – our capacity has been reduced by about 2,000 due to the much-needed stadium expansion.

Once the new tier opens our average attendances will rise to 50,000-plus, and for those who say ‘you won’t fill it’, take a look at Newcastle. Their average in 1991 was only 16,834 and look at their crowds in recent years.

It’s also worth remembering that research published in December last year by Barclays identified that 55% of City fans had attended games for over 25 years. This was the highest number in the Barclays Premier League and was described by them as “impressive levels of loyalty.”

I’m sure some would question the specifics of the research but as an indicator of supporter loyalty, the general findings are significant.

From a historical perspective, City have a proud record for support, topping the attendance charts for the entire League on four occasions but, more significantly, the Blues have been one of the most consistent sides for attendances throughout history.

In fact, of last season’s six best-supported sides (United, Arsenal, Newcastle, City, Liverpool and Chelsea) only City, Chelsea and Newcastle have consistently received good support in every era of football’s existence.

There have been occasional dips of course for City but, unlike United, Arsenal and Chelsea, the Blues have never attracted the lowest crowd in their division, nor have they attracted the division’s lowest average crowd – a fate that United have endured.

Pre-war City had the most consistent attendances of today’s six best supported sides with the Blues being one of the six best supported clubs on 30 occasions, followed by Newcastle and Chelsea managing 28 top six appearances. Liverpool had 22, Arsenal 17, and United had 10 top six attendance appearances during 43 seasons.

As early as 1895-96 the Blues were the third best-supported side, behind Everton and Aston Villa. From 1898 to World War 2 City were always one of the eight best-supported clubs. As a comparison United were outside the top eight on 20 occasions during the same period, with their lowest position being 34th (1931). That same season United’s lowest home crowd (3,679) was the lowest in the top flight.

Okay, all of this is irrelevant you could say, but what it shows is that City have always had one of the most loyal fan bases in football when compared to the other leading Premier League teams.

In general many people believe success increases support, and while that is true to some extent, for City it is often periods of adversity that prove the loyalty of the Club’s fans. It is highly significant, for example, that the first time City were the best-supported side in the entire League (1910-11) Manchester United (sixth best-supported side) won the League title for the second time in three seasons.

Similarly, in 1925-26 when City were the best supported side in Division One and had established a new record average, the Blues were actually relegated. This, coupled with significant poverty and hardship in Manchester at the time, should have reduced support but loyalty increased!

In my book “Manchester A Football History” I explore the relationship between attendances and Manchester’s major sides and it is fair to say that City fans can feel immensely proud of their loyalty throughout the history of the game - something that cannot be said by all of the League’s biggest names.

In fact, it is worth highlighting that City have never been the worst supported side in their division but Arsenal (1912-13 – average = 9,100) and Manchester United (1930-31 – average = 11,685) have.

The Blues’ worst average of the 20th Century came in the desperate 1964-65 season and was 14,753 (a third of City’s 1957-8 average). However it is significant that for every League season the Club’s average has always been above the divisional average (including 1964-65) and, apart from 17 seasons, has always been in the top 11 nationally.

Again, few of today’s giants can say that – as a comparison United’s 20th Century low stands at 4,650 and Chelsea averaged 15,731 as recently as 1988-89.

I could go on, but the general point of this is to say that City have been one of the most consistent sides in terms of pulling power throughout history. But critics will say, ‘ah, but what about your support in the 1990s onwards?’ Okay then, let’s look at that.

Between 1992 and 2003 Maine Road’s capacity limited support with the stadium’s capacity being less than 20,000 at one point in the mid-1990s. There were many reasons for this but the simple fact is that the club’s management took steps to fill almost every spare space with temporary seating by the end of the decade as demand easily outstripped supply.

Average attendances of around 30,000 may look small compared to today but these were at capacity, give or take a few hundred away fans. This was part of the reason the club was so willing to sacrifice its home of 80 years for the current stadium – a move that has been very popular although at the time some fans said a 48,000 capacity stadium would be too small. They were right!

Like all – and I do mean all – English clubs there have been some average attendance lows over the years, but when the entire history of our club is reviewed and our average figures are compared with the national average it is clear that the Blues have consistently been one of football’s most attractive draws. Take a look at the following:

Since the beginning of the Football League in 1888 only nine sides have topped the table for average attendances. In chronological order of their first appearance at the top of the average table they are: Everton (1888-9), Villa (1898-99), Newcastle (1904-05), Chelsea (1907-08), Tottenham (1909-10), City (1910-11), Liverpool (1922-23), Arsenal (1929-30), and Manchester United (1956-57)

As early as 1895-96 City were the third best supported side in the entire League despite being a Second Division side. Only First Division sides Everton and Aston Villa could better the Blues. Modern-day giants Arsenal were 10th; Liverpool were 19th; United were 21st and Chelsea had yet to exist.

The 1910-11 season saw us top the attendance charts for the first time. Our average was 26,000 and was the Football League’s eighth highest average of all time at that point.

Regularly amongst the best supported sides throughout the inter war period, our average exceeded 37,000 for the first time in 1927-28 when we established a record average crowd for the Second Division. This was also the entire League’s highest.
So next time someone asks where you were when City were not quite so successful as today, smile and be confident in the knowledge that City fans have been amongst the most loyal throughout football’s competitive history.

Gary is a member of the Sports & Leisure History Group at MMU. He is a ‘must-follow’ for City fans: Twitter: @garyjameswriter and facebook.com/garyjames4 His recent paper on the establishment of Manchester’s football identity can be downloaded here: http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1 ... 014.961378

*The views expressed are those of Gary James and not necessarily those of Manchester City FC.
Wonderwall
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Gods own team

Re: Where were you when you were s**t (Gary James Blog)

Postby Peter Doherty (AGAIG) » Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:05 pm

Great article!
Peter Doherty (AGAIG)
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Johan Cruyff

Postby dazby » Fri Oct 24, 2014 2:39 am

I've written this before, but the song "We are not really here" is the perfect retort.
Attack the argument of the person, not the person of the argument- except Carl.
dazby
Joe Mercer's OBE

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Ed

Postby nottsblue » Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:25 am

Superb, as usual
nottsblue

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby Beefymcfc » Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:51 pm

For some reason that gives me a serious sense of pride. Standing next to those at Maine Road and sitting/standing at the Etihad has been a huge part of my life. We are blessed.
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby mr_nool » Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:04 pm

Beefymcfc wrote:For some reason that gives me a serious sense of pride. Standing next to those at Maine Road and sitting/standing at the Etihad has been a huge part of my life. We are blessed.

Would love to have visited Maine Road, but it just never happened. My only MR experience is a a guide tour of Moss Side/Rusholme in John68's Asda, ehich - to be honest - was quite an experience as well!
Intelligent Vigilant Person
mr_nool
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Beefymcfc » Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:56 pm

mr_nool wrote:
Beefymcfc wrote:For some reason that gives me a serious sense of pride. Standing next to those at Maine Road and sitting/standing at the Etihad has been a huge part of my life. We are blessed.

Would love to have visited Maine Road, but it just never happened. My only MR experience is a a guide tour of Moss Side/Rusholme in John68's Asda, ehich - to be honest - was quite an experience as well!

Probably more entertaining as well ;-)
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby mr_nool » Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:09 pm

Beefymcfc wrote:
mr_nool wrote:

Probably more entertaining as well ;-)

I of course meant "Astra". And "which".
Intelligent Vigilant Person
mr_nool
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby john68 » Sat Oct 25, 2014 4:15 am

Thanks Noolie, There's a fewwho have had that trip Mate...The Dazzler, Kuwait and Doomie to name but three....and it was a Fiesta Mate...and not mine but Kath's. The food after was good too.

I know where I was when we were shit. Watching us getting mullered at Maine Road by West Ham, as they put 5 past a ten man City cos Trautmann had been sent off for chucking the ball at the ref.
Or wandering through a half empty Kippax watching us struggle to be mid table the season before Mercer and Allison arrived.

13 years without a trophy seemed such a long time then....good preparation for what followed in the 1980s til our Sheik came along.

We must all be mad. Its nice to know that our Dads and Grandads were just as potty as us.

Thanks again Gary...superb work Mate.
I KNOW THAT YOU BELIEVE THAT YOU UNDERSTOOD WHAT YOU THINK I WROTE, BUT I AM NOT SURE YOU REALISE THAT WHAT YOU READ IS NOT WHAT I MEANT
john68
Kaptain Kompany's Komposure

Supporter of: ST MARKS (W GORTON)
My favourite player is: BERT TRAUTMANN

Postby Hutch's Shoulder » Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:39 pm

My proudest moment was standing with the 30000 to welcome the team out into the first game in the real Division 3 in bright August sunshine. A bloke I knew who supported Oldham bet me our crowds would be below 15000 that season - he paid up at Christmas.
Hutch's Shoulder
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: City of course
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby Beefymcfc » Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:50 pm

john68 wrote:We must all be mad. Its nice to know that our Dads and Grandads were just as potty as us.

Thanks again Gary...superb work Mate.

I'll have you know that my forefathers dressed in suits and flatcap to attend the matches, no chance that they were potty?

Just shows the sign of the times where my granddads were wearing suits in their time, my old man was wearing Levis in his, and me and our kid wearing shell-suit and trainers during our early years.

Funny old game is fashion.

Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby gary james » Thu Dec 11, 2014 8:24 am

Thanks for all the comments. It was one of those things about City that has begun to bug me, the way the media and rival fans trot out these inaccuracies about our support. Even this last week I've been sent a link from someone to Talksport's website where they had an article on best support by using the percentage full stats. So they'd show teams as being 97% full every game for example. City were way down the list and the article said that we were having trouble filling the Etihad for even our biggest games this season despite being champions. The view was that the planned stadium capacity increase was a real issue for us!

At the root of all these inaccuracies lay one fact - they were using a capacity of 48,000 even though the stadium's capacity this season is about 45,500! Facts hey? What do they matter to some journalists?
Latest book "Manchester The City Years" - the full story of the Blues from the 1860s through to QPR 2012

Find out more about my writing/books: http://www.facebook.com/GaryJames4
Twitter: @GaryJamesWriter
gary james
Robinho's Step Over

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Thu Dec 11, 2014 8:37 am

I saw that TS article, you just have to laugh.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Euthanasia

Postby gary james » Thu Dec 11, 2014 9:17 am

Foreverinbluedreams wrote:I saw that TS article, you just have to laugh.

It drives me mad when they don't look at the evidence. This is one of the reasons why I'm researching Manchester's football history in the way I am now. Actually, I know I've mentioned it before but I'd encourage as many Blues as possible (and non Blues!) to have a read of some of my recent research. It talks of the establishment of Manchester's football identity and is very clear on how MCFC helped establish Manchester as a football city first. It's currently free to download, though won't be forever I'm told so get it while you can. It's available via this link: http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10. ... 014.961378 It's heavy research in parts, but I'm sure everyone will get something out of it.

Thanks.
Latest book "Manchester The City Years" - the full story of the Blues from the 1860s through to QPR 2012

Find out more about my writing/books: http://www.facebook.com/GaryJames4
Twitter: @GaryJamesWriter
gary james
Robinho's Step Over

Postby Cocacolajojo1 » Thu Dec 11, 2014 9:19 am

At the root of all these inaccuracies lay one fact - they were using a capacity of 48,000 even though the stadium's capacity this season is about 45,500! Facts hey? What do they matter to some journalists?

Perhaps they're just very post modern?
"I used to be 6 foot 2 with curly hair, look what it's done to me"

"In my career so far it's the most important goal. You score the goal in the last minute to win the title. You're not sure if that's ever going to happen in your career again. I wish I could tell you how I did it but I can't. I thought for all the world that Mario was going to have a go himself but he just moved it on one more and it fell at my feet and I just thought: 'Hit the target, hit it as hard as you can and hit the target.' And it went in."
Cocacolajojo1
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

My favourite player is: Ireland 08-09

Postby Wonderwall » Thu Dec 11, 2014 10:26 am

gary james wrote:
Foreverinbluedreams wrote:I saw that TS article, you just have to laugh.

It drives me mad when they don't look at the evidence. This is one of the reasons why I'm researching Manchester's football history in the way I am now. Actually, I know I've mentioned it before but I'd encourage as many Blues as possible (and non Blues!) to have a read of some of my recent research. It talks of the establishment of Manchester's football identity and is very clear on how MCFC helped establish Manchester as a football city first. It's currently free to download, though won't be forever I'm told so get it while you can. It's available via this link: http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10. ... 014.961378 It's heavy research in parts, but I'm sure everyone will get something out of it.

Thanks.

This is exactly what drives me nuts Gary. I have stopped listening to TS, they are a gutter radio broadcaster. When they were initially formed, I loved the idea of a sport dedicated radio station, as I used to travel a lot. However, they have gone down the pantomime villain route of trying to be as controversial as possible, with always having 2 presenters playing 'good cop' 'bad cop' and inciting the audience to react via a phone in. They really do have some cretins who work for them too, but none worse than Stan Collymore. He just shouts over people and doesn't let anyone have an opinion thats different to his because he cannot see that his opinion might not be right!

Hate is a strong word, but TS and Stan Collymore are right up there!!
Wonderwall

Supporter of: Gods own team

Postby Dameerto » Thu Dec 11, 2014 3:46 pm

gary james wrote:Thanks for all the comments. It was one of those things about City that has begun to bug me, the way the media and rival fans trot out these inaccuracies about our support. Even this last week I've been sent a link from someone to Talksport's website where they had an article on best support by using the percentage full stats. So they'd show teams as being 97% full every game for example. City were way down the list and the article said that we were having trouble filling the Etihad for even our biggest games this season despite being champions. The view was that the planned stadium capacity increase was a real issue for us!

It's been an annoyance of mine for a while in previous seasons too (even without a reduction due to building work) - part of the problem is the club doesn't seem to have an official matchday capacity quoted anywhere, so we get journalists assuming the stadium capacity is the figure to use (which as we all know with just tiny bit of thought can't be true with seats lost due to stewarding/policing/health and safety issues especially in a stadium which was converted to football use instead of being designed from the ground up for it). The end result is certain people pushing a false angle about us never filling our stadium.
Once the expansion is complete I would really like the club to quote a matchday seating capacity for the lazy journalists to use.
VIVA EL CITIES

"The adjudicatory chamber of the Ethics Committee ... has banned Mr Joseph S. Blatter ... for eight years and Mr Michel Platini ... for eight years from all football-related activities (administrative, sports or any other) on a national and international level. The bans come into force immediately." - 21/12/2015
Dameerto
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: El City
My favourite player is: Sergio Forwardo

Return to The Maine Football forum