One big signing every season

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

One big signing every season

Postby Original Dub » Sat Oct 25, 2014 2:09 pm

I've read it in a number of ex players' books and it makes perfect sense.

We should be signing at least one top attacking player every summer window. The rags did it for years, Chelsea did it most years and those they didn't, they dropped off.

It gives the fans a huge lift and it keeps players on their toes. Look at Barca, Real, PSG. It happens for a reason and whilst at the time I felt happy with the last window, I think we may regret not signing a marquee player. This really reminds me of the season before last, both transfer and playing wise.

There was no fresh injection like when we signed Navas and Negredo. We signed defensive players and whilst that is obviously important, it does not lift the club.

Please God we do it in the next window and from then on.
Original Dub

Re: One big signing every season

Postby PeterParker » Sat Oct 25, 2014 2:20 pm

What was the last big transfer, huge transfer that City did?

Nasri.

That speaks volumes.
PeterParker
Roberto Mancini's Scarf

Supporter of: The Blue Moon blues
My favourite player is: King Mike

Postby Bridge'srightfoot » Sat Oct 25, 2014 2:45 pm

Problem is we've left it too late and I'm not big on making a big signing this January. January is the time when we should be looking for a couple of shrewd signings to give us that boost. I can't remember too many big name signings in January that were a huge success. A cheeky loan for someone, preferably an experienced striker. bit like when the Rags got Larson..
Bridge'srightfoot
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: City

Postby Clowncrete » Sat Oct 25, 2014 2:51 pm

We really really need a fast tricky winger who isn't 1 dimensional.
Clowncrete
De Jong's Tackle

My favourite player is: Super Kev!

Postby Original Dub » Sat Oct 25, 2014 2:54 pm

Bridge'srightfoot wrote:Problem is we've left it too late and I'm not big on making a big signing this January. January is the time when we should be looking for a couple of shrewd signings to give us that boost. I can't remember too many big name signings in January that were a huge success. A cheeky loan for someone, preferably an experienced striker. bit like when the Rags got Larson..

I meant the Summer really... as an on going thing.

But this January, we need a lift - only because we didn't do it in the Summer.
Original Dub

Postby Goaters 103 » Sat Oct 25, 2014 4:51 pm

Two years ago Hazard was the huge player we had to have and missed. His presence in our squad would have been huge these past 2 seasons.

This summer Fabregas was the huge player we should have signed - peddling off Toure to PSG - but again we missed.

Next summer Pogba and Reus will be on the table and likely move. We need to make sure we sign an A Lister and no more B and C list players. Toure's best days are in the rear view mirror and his replacement needs to be onboard asap.
Goaters 103
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby Sideshow Bob » Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:04 pm

Goaters 103 wrote:Two years ago Hazard was the huge player we had to have and missed. His presence in our squad would have been huge these past 2 seasons.

This summer Fabregas was the huge player we should have signed - peddling off Toure to PSG - but again we missed.

Next summer Pogba and Reus will be on the table and likely move. We need to make sure we sign an A Lister and no more B and C list players. Toure's best days are in the rear view mirror and his replacement needs to be onboard asap.

Not to mention pastore, de rossi, cavani, isco, erikson, goetze, lewandowski, di maria...any of these would be great options to have ATM.
Sideshow Bob
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Jonny Evans

Postby failsworthblue » Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:08 pm

Mangala was our big signing.

He is still feeling his way but has everything to be one of the best CH in the world.

Watch this space.
failsworthblue
De Jong's Tackle

Postby PeterParker » Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:34 pm

We can still get Erikson. After another mediocre season with Spurs, he will go.

Reus will go to Bayern. Precontract signed, if we tend to listen to the rumours
PeterParker
Roberto Mancini's Scarf

Supporter of: The Blue Moon blues
My favourite player is: King Mike

Postby Crossie » Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:12 pm

Can we sign anyone with our ffp limits? Or have we got room to play with after selling Negredo?

We need a German or 2 to inject some efficiency.
Crossie
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Vinny

Postby Sideshow Bob » Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:22 pm

I would rather shaquiri than reus. Dream window for me: shaquiri, pogba and isco!! Erikson would also do nicely.
Sideshow Bob
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

My favourite player is: Jonny Evans

Postby Two's Kompany » Sun Oct 26, 2014 8:32 am

This isn't an overreaction but 2 years ago we spent money on Garcia, Sinclair, Rodwell etc when we should have bought just two top players.
This time we gave Porto £40m for Mangala and Fernando when we should've spent big on Fabregas and an other.
Two wasted windows and a team that still looks at it's best with last years players in it (and none from the 2012 window)!
Two's Kompany
Robinho's Step Over

My favourite player is: Anyone in a City shirt!

Postby Original Dub » Sun Oct 26, 2014 10:26 am

Two's Kompany wrote:This isn't an overreaction but 2 years ago we spent money on Garcia, Sinclair, Rodwell etc when we should have bought just two top players.
This time we gave Porto £40m for Mangala and Fernando when we should've spent big on Fabregas and an other.
Two wasted windows and a team that still looks at it's best with last years players in it (and none from the 2012 window)!

I think we'll look at the Mangala signing as a damn good one as time goes on, but I agree with your overall point of view.

I really wanted hazard a few seasons back and I really wanted fabregas last window.

We are a huge club now and whilst I know we can't have everything, particularly with this corrupt ffp, we have to hold our hands up and say we could have done better.
Original Dub

Postby mr_nool » Sun Oct 26, 2014 3:08 pm

Personally I really don't see what Fernando brings that we didn't already have in Fernandinho. The Count doesn't look like playing the two together anyway, and Milnner would have been a sufficient cover for Ferna when he's out. It's not that I object to getting a cover for Ferna in, but both him and Fernando are too expensive to be back--up players.
Intelligent Vigilant Person
mr_nool
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Postby nottsblue » Sun Oct 26, 2014 4:31 pm

mr_nool wrote:Personally I really don't see what Fernando brings that we didn't already have in Fernandinho. The Count doesn't look like playing the two together anyway, and Milnner would have been a sufficient cover for Ferna when he's out. It's not that I object to getting a cover for Ferna in, but both him and Fernando are too expensive to be back--up players.

Agreed. No better than Garcia at the moment. Maybe once he gets used to pace of Prem he'll sharpen up, but its money that could have been used elsewhere
nottsblue
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby Moonchesteri » Sun Oct 26, 2014 6:01 pm

Clowncrete wrote:We really really need a fast tricky winger who isn't 1 dimensional.

Yes please. Someone who is/can be direct unlike Nasri & co
Moonchesteri
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Postby Cocacolajojo1 » Sun Oct 26, 2014 6:23 pm

I agree with the OP. I don't know if it has to be as doctrinal but IMO we've failed to create competition within the squad and keeping the momentum after both of our recent league wins. I think a competetive clubs needs to purchase and sell players and dare to kill some darlings just for the sake of it, otherwise there's bound to be stagnation.

However, the academy could perhaps provide a part of that competition in the future if we don't become too greedy and want to win the league every season.
"I used to be 6 foot 2 with curly hair, look what it's done to me"

"In my career so far it's the most important goal. You score the goal in the last minute to win the title. You're not sure if that's ever going to happen in your career again. I wish I could tell you how I did it but I can't. I thought for all the world that Mario was going to have a go himself but he just moved it on one more and it fell at my feet and I just thought: 'Hit the target, hit it as hard as you can and hit the target.' And it went in."
Cocacolajojo1
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

My favourite player is: Ireland 08-09

Postby Bridge'srightfoot » Sun Oct 26, 2014 6:27 pm

Moonchesteri wrote:
Clowncrete wrote:We really really need a fast tricky winger who isn't 1 dimensional.

Yes please. Someone who is/can be direct unlike Nasri & co

Hazard would have been perfect, creative like Nasri but far more direct and will run at players and shoot.
Di Maria would also have been great.
Need someone of that ilk. Who though, I'm not sure. Maybe Isco?
Bridge'srightfoot
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Postby Pretty Boy Lee » Sun Oct 26, 2014 8:57 pm

In two minds on this one.

2 seasons ago not signing anyone cost us the title, no doubt for me. RVP was up for sale they bought him and we didn't.

This term I'm on the fence as to whether we needed to sign an attacker to begin with or if we are just noticing the effects of removing 20 something goals from the squad in Neggers.
Tracking back is overrated.
Pretty Boy Lee
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Supporter of: City!
My favourite player is: Yaya

Postby sheblue » Mon Oct 27, 2014 12:11 pm

Fernando and mangala need a little time. They will be good in time.
But yes we need to sign a YOUNG top midfielder to replace yaya. Age wise team is getting on a bit.
sheblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: city
My favourite player is: silva

Next

Return to The Maine Football forum