Where are the kids?

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Where are the kids?

Postby iwasthere2012 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:02 pm

Douglas Higginbottom wrote:
nottsblue wrote:Pep full of praise for Foden this morning. Depending on how he does in the next couple of games I can see him staying with us next year rather than going out on loan.

Sounds a player

Is a player.

Very understated as usual Doug. You've seen him more than most and have signalled his arrival very early on.

I've watched as much as I can of the academy over the past few years and would echo what John said earlier;
I think Sancho and Diaz really catch the eye, but last year in particular (from what I saw) they quite often showed their youthful inexperience, by choosing the wrong options, taking on too much, or going missing in crucial games. i'm thinking of against Chelsea in particular.

However Phil Foden for me stood out every time I've seen him. He shows a maturity beyond his years and knows when to keep it simple and when to take things by the scruff of the neck.

I've commented through the last year that I really hope he proves capable of stepping up against the physicality of the premiership.
I didn't see the game from last night but like others, I'm greatly encouraged by the high praise being given to the lad.
iwasthere2012
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva (was PabZab)

Postby nottsblue » Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:09 pm

iwasthere2012 wrote:
nottsblue wrote:Pep full of praise for Foden this morning. Depending on how he does in the next couple of games I can see him staying with us next year rather than going out on loan.

Sounds a player

Is a player.

Very understated as usual Doug. You've seen him more than most and have signalled his arrival very early on.

I've watched as much as I can of the academy over the past few years and would echo what John said earlier;
I think Sancho and Diaz really catch the eye, but last year in particular (from what I saw) they quite often showed their youthful inexperience, by choosing the wrong options, taking on too much, or going missing in crucial games. i'm thinking of against Chelsea in particular.

However Phil Foden for me stood out every time I've seen him. He shows a maturity beyond his years and knows when to keep it simple and when to take things by the scruff of the neck.

I've commented through the last year that I really hope he proves capable of stepping up against the physicality of the premiership.
I didn't see the game from last night but like others, I'm greatly encouraged by the high praise being given to the lad.

Excellent point about knowing when to keep it simple. The one quality that all great players seem to have is they have time on the ball. Keeping it simple more often than not generates time on the ball as players who over egg it usually run out of time/into trouble. Think this may be a shortcoming at present in Diaz. A well placed 1-2 can be far more effective than dribbling past a couple of men. Silva is a prime example of this.

From what I've seen of Aleix Garcia in the few games I've seen him, is that he also likes to keep it simple. That's not to say Foden and Garcia always play easy sideways passes, like Henderson, but know when better to play killer passes and when to retain possession and play short.

I think we will see a fair bit of Foden this year and I for one can't wait
nottsblue
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby PrezIke » Sat Jul 22, 2017 3:32 pm

Sancho not leaving...just angling...

He doesn't think he can beat his competition in training? I doubt this very much.

Foden showing and proving...that's what Pep likes and it's a hint to Jadon. You will get a chance. Come wit it brah...
PrezIke
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: KDBeezy

Postby Saul Goodman » Sat Jul 22, 2017 6:56 pm

I do think our anticipated miss on Sanchez could be helpful for players like Foden and Sancho in the future. One less surefire starter blocking their path into the first team
Saul Goodman
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

My favourite player is: Bernardo Silva

Postby mr_nool » Sat Jul 22, 2017 7:43 pm

Ambrose has scored 4 in 3 games for NAC so far this pre-season.
Intelligent Vigilant Person
mr_nool
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Postby Nigels Tackle » Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:01 pm

mr_nool wrote:Ambrose has scored 4 in 3 games for NAC so far this pre-season.

there's a fucking nac breda thread you mong

viewtopic.php?f=119&t=52773
ARMCHAIR FAN
Nigels Tackle
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Alan Oakes' 668 Games

Supporter of: man love
My favourite player is: riyad meh!rez

Postby Dunnylad » Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:04 pm

I do also wonder whether the plan of getting Aguero to help Foden isn't also a help for both players. The rumours are that Pep wasn't happy that as a senior player Aguero was quite quiet, but if he's taken Foden under his wing & he's responding then I expect Aguero's stock to rise with Pep
"F****d it up,
Shot my Load,
Spewed onto the Motorway Shoulder,
I Could Have Been Somebody Special."
Dunnylad
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

My favourite player is: Georgi Kinkladze

Postby Saul Goodman » Thu Jul 27, 2017 4:13 am

Can someone (Doug?) talk about Foden? Is he supposed to be like Fernandinho in midfield? Or is he supposed to be more of a #10?
Saul Goodman

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:38 am

Saul Goodman wrote:Can someone (Doug?) talk about Foden? Is he supposed to be like Fernandinho in midfield? Or is he supposed to be more of a #10?

Definitely a 10. High quality attacking midfield player with an eye for a goal. Great left foot and so good at taking the ball on the turn. Works hard too. and a big City fan. He has been a joy for me to watch in the last 18 months or so.

Stood out with some of his play against the scum but against Madrid struggled to get into the game. Nasri took his place and also struggled to really get into the game.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby PrezIke » Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:16 pm

Well, now more worried about Sancho the more this drags on.

Posting a video of him playing saying, "love the game!" on Twitter....

Against Arsenal.
PrezIke
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby Justified logic » Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:43 pm

PrezIke wrote:Well, now more worried about Sancho the more this drags on.

Against Arsenal.

...A video of him scoring an individual goal against Arsenal.

Anyway, isn't his older brother at Arsenal?

Justified logic
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby sheblue » Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:20 pm

Looking at some of the footage of Diaz, (hope I am not getting carried away), but in a way he reminds me of a younger version of a much loved striker.
sheblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: city
My favourite player is: silva

Postby Nigels Tackle » Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:24 pm

sheblue wrote:Looking at some of the footage of Diaz, (hope I am not getting carried away), but in a way he reminds me of a younger version of a much loved striker.

more messi than aguero if you ask me
ARMCHAIR FAN
Nigels Tackle
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Alan Oakes' 668 Games

Supporter of: man love
My favourite player is: riyad meh!rez

Postby PrezIke » Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:42 pm

sheblue wrote:Looking at some of the footage of Diaz, (hope I am not getting carried away), but in a way he reminds me of a younger version of a much loved striker.

the goal?

It should be in the City On Tour thread.
PrezIke
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby PrezIke » Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:43 pm

Justified logic wrote:
PrezIke wrote:Well, now more worried about Sancho the more this drags on.

Against Arsenal.

...A video of him scoring an individual goal against Arsenal.

Anyway, isn't his older brother at Arsenal?

Yes, but a rather odd selection for both reasons given the rumours that he's off. (I think it's related to our interest in Sanchez and Mbappé + all of the other young attacking players we have...other than angling for a better contract, although I heard we offered a pretty good one for an unproven player)
PrezIke
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby sheblue » Thu Jul 27, 2017 4:02 pm

PrezIke wrote:

the goal?

It should be in the City On Tour thread.

Not just last night. The footage of him generally. He's very impressive.
sheblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: city
My favourite player is: silva

Postby Saul Goodman » Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:21 pm

Saul Goodman wrote:Can someone (Doug?) talk about Foden? Is he supposed to be like Fernandinho in midfield? Or is he supposed to be more of a #10?

Definitely a 10. High quality attacking midfield player with an eye for a goal. Great left foot and so good at taking the ball on the turn. Works hard too. and a big City fan. He has been a joy for me to watch in the last 18 months or so.

Stood out with some of his play against the scum but against Madrid struggled to get into the game. Nasri took his place and also struggled to really get into the game.

Thanks Doug. As mentioned he seemed to struggle vs Madrid but I noticed his position was more alongside Yaya as opposed to closer to Jesus/Aguero. Thats why I asked.
Last edited by Saul Goodman on Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Saul Goodman

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:32 pm

The whole game v Real was very interesting. After having plenty of the game in the first half and looking good I thought we losy out way a bit as Real took over and made us look a little shaky.

Hard to be sure why it went that way. Maybe we eased off the pressing and let them get more of the ball but it was noticeable Yay , who was involved in everything , became less of an influence. I also wasn't convinced by the two up front with one or the other dropping a bit to show for the ball. There seemed virtually no space for Foden and thus he wan't involved too much.

The second half was different with one up top and Sterling seeming to be in a floating role and it worked much better. Although just as Foden wasnt too much invloved neither was his replacement Nasri.

I have no worries about Foden. Top class young player and alrhough he is not going to be a first choice yet the signs are there that he will be in the squad a lot and probebly will get some game time this season.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Previous

Return to The Maine Football forum