january window

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: january window

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Sun Nov 16, 2014 5:15 pm

Mikhail Chigorin wrote:If all the perceived speculation with regard to Pellegrini's tenure is correct and his position is to be reviewed at the end of the season, I can't see the 'powers that be' countenancing any undue or meaningless purchases in January.

If they are of a certainty of mind to get rid of him, they surely would be saving up the cash for the new man to spend next summer or, at least, I would have thought so.

Perhaps we might only see some players leaving in the transfer window, to help free up future funds.

Tbh with you I'd say it's a given that the manager's position is reviewed on an annual basis, so wouldn't read too much into the press bollox in that regard.

If a player is identified to strengthen the team/squad it will be done by Txiki and the scouting team as much as Pellegrini, so if Pellegrini were to be replaced I don't think the transfer strategy would be impacted too much, it's one of the main reasons we went down the DOF route, or so I'm led to believe.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Euthanasia

Postby Ted Hughes » Sun Nov 16, 2014 5:42 pm

Foreverinbluedreams wrote:
Mikhail Chigorin wrote:If all the perceived speculation with regard to Pellegrini's tenure is correct and his position is to be reviewed at the end of the season, I can't see the 'powers that be' countenancing any undue or meaningless purchases in January.

If they are of a certainty of mind to get rid of him, they surely would be saving up the cash for the new man to spend next summer or, at least, I would have thought so.

Perhaps we might only see some players leaving in the transfer window, to help free up future funds.

Tbh with you I'd say it's a given that the manager's position is reviewed on an annual basis, so wouldn't read too much into the press bollox in that regard.

If a player is identified to strengthen the team/squad it will be done by Txiki and the scouting team as much as Pellegrini, so if Pellegrini were to be replaced I don't think the transfer strategy would be impacted too much, it's one of the main reasons we went down the DOF route, or so I'm led to believe.

Most players are identified by the scouting team in modern football, whether you have a DOF or not. Managers get the choice, & get a few known players to pick on, but there are gangs of scouts out there identifying & compiling information on players. If it's not done that way, how can a manager possibly know what players are available & how they are performing, when he's on the training ground 5 days a week & managing the team at the weekend ?

DOF doesn't choose the final selections though, the manager does, if it's done right.

Kids for the academy is a different matter; then it's fuck all to do with the manager, or shouldn't be except Mancini picked his sons & their mate.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby Hazy2 » Sun Nov 16, 2014 6:01 pm

We already know the players we want IMHO can we get them without any fuss ? Reus for examples situation is straight forward he like Hazzard has everyone after his signature.

City along with every other club , know every kids name from here in Manchester to Mombasa with an ounce of ability, I watched a game today in Reddish, two good youth teams under 9's. even here they are looking at the kids they might have missed or have already seen at a club. It's like a huge fishing net
Hazy2
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Silva

Postby Spurge » Sun Nov 16, 2014 9:12 pm

Hazy2 wrote:We already know the players we want IMHO can we get them without any fuss ? Reus for examples situation is straight forward he like Hazzard has everyone after his signature.

City along with every other club , know every kids name from here in Manchester to Mombasa with an ounce of ability, I watched a game today in Reddish, two good youth teams under 9's. even here they are looking at the kids they might have missed or have already seen at a club. It's like a huge fishing net

And just like a trawler that has reached it's quota, many of those caught in the net will get thrown back to where they came from.
Spurge
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

My favourite player is: Asa Hartford

Postby Hazy2 » Sun Nov 16, 2014 10:15 pm

Spurge wrote:
Hazy2 wrote:We already know the players we want IMHO can we get them without any fuss ? Reus for examples situation is straight forward he like Hazzard has everyone after his signature.

And just like a trawler that has reached it's quota, many of those caught in the net will get thrown back to where they came from.

Yep.
Hazy2
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Mon Nov 17, 2014 11:12 am

Ted Hughes wrote:

Most players are identified by the scouting team in modern football, whether you have a DOF or not. Managers get the choice, & get a few known players to pick on, but there are gangs of scouts out there identifying & compiling information on players. If it's not done that way, how can a manager possibly know what players are available & how they are performing, when he's on the training ground 5 days a week & managing the team at the weekend ?

DOF doesn't choose the final selections though, the manager does, if it's done right.

Kids for the academy is a different matter; then it's fuck all to do with the manager, or shouldn't be except Mancini picked his sons & their mate.

My point about the DOF system was that a change of manager won't impact too greatly on transfer strategy. Yes, the manager has the final say but the players are targeted by the DOF regardless of who the manager is. For example, Jovetic and Fernandinho were targeted by the club long before Pellegrini got the job.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Euthanasia

Postby Twobob » Mon Nov 17, 2014 1:24 pm

Ted Hughes wrote:

And then there's the 'Rednap' approach ....
"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me." - HST

Monsters are dangerous and Kings are dying like flies arround here...
Twobob
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: Gods Own Club

Postby sheblue » Mon Nov 17, 2014 4:08 pm

Cant see a lot happening in jan, although we could be playing for 2nd place by then so who knows.
sheblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: city
My favourite player is: silva

Postby Nigels Tackle » Sun Dec 21, 2014 8:47 am

wolfsburg's kevin de bruyne being linked with a £20m switch in jan...
ARMCHAIR FAN
Nigels Tackle
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Alan Oakes' 668 Games

Supporter of: man love
My favourite player is: riyad meh!rez

Postby dick dastardley » Sun Dec 21, 2014 9:03 am

Ted Hughes wrote:
Hazy2 wrote:
Ted Hughes wrote:
Hazy2 wrote:
Ted Hughes wrote:No idea how much money we have got.

If the campus comes online, do we get a big influx of sponsorship money then, or would that start next season ?

Evening News is running the Ross Barkley story again, as if we are after him in Jan. Not sure they could find 60 mil in Jan. Could pay half & the rest in summer though I suppose. Rags effectively doing that with Falcao.

Cannot see us blowing that much til in Jan, it should not have come to this BTW.

What should not have come to what ?

Facelift, panic buy, paying stupid money in January, expecting a player to come in and settle. The things we all say about the top teams, they never do major biz in Jan.

That's utter nonsense.

IF, & that's a HUGE 'IF' Barkley was available in January & HUGE 'IF' City had 60 mil to spend, it would be the same money as in summer, because the fucking stupid rags have spent 27 mil on an 18 year old fullback. Obviously, as a centre mid/No 10 possible future No 1 player in the England team, his valuation goes through the roof. If he was going for £40 mil earlier in the season, EVERYONE would have bid on him, therefore the price would go up.

Frankly, slagging off City for being rumoured to be buying Barkley in Jan (they haven't even fucking bought him yet!) for the same money it will cost if we buy him in July, is beyond ridiculous !

Rather go for isco if available
Support the badge, players come and go along with managers!!!
dick dastardley
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby South Stand Balti » Sun Dec 21, 2014 9:36 am

I don't think there will be much business done in January. Players can have inflated prices, many of the best are still in the champs league or cup tied and it's usually the end of jan when these things are finalised. I do think we will look to swap Jovetic though, either directly or as a one in one out though that is ikely to be loans.
South Stand Balti
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: Manchester City FC
My favourite player is: Yaya

Postby Spurge » Sun Dec 21, 2014 9:55 am

South Stand Balti wrote:I don't think there will be much business done in January. Players can have inflated prices, many of the best are still in the champs league or cup tied and it's usually the end of jan when these things are finalised. I do think we will look to swap Jovetic though, either directly or as a one in one out though that is ikely to be loans.

What makes u think that we will let jovetic go? Cant see it myself. As for swapping who with?
Spurge
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby Peter Doherty (AGAIG) » Sun Dec 21, 2014 9:55 am

At the game I heard of a possible loan deal for Cavani, for what it's worth (not very much, I expect).
Peter Doherty (AGAIG)
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

My favourite player is: Johan Cruyff

Postby Ted Hughes » Sun Dec 21, 2014 10:49 am

Spurge wrote:
South Stand Balti wrote:I don't think there will be much business done in January. Players can have inflated prices, many of the best are still in the champs league or cup tied and it's usually the end of jan when these things are finalised. I do think we will look to swap Jovetic though, either directly or as a one in one out though that is ikely to be loans.

What makes u think that we will let jovetic go? Cant see it myself. As for swapping who with?

I'm a huge Jovetic fan. I think he is right up there talent wise with the very best & could be one of the stars of the Premier League. But he has not been linking up with Aguero (until recently which was looking promising tbf) & sad to say, is never fucking fit.

If someone was to offer us a good price & the right player was available to buy, I think we would do it. A swap would be an unlikely coincidence though.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Spurge » Sun Dec 21, 2014 11:28 am

Ted Hughes wrote:
Spurge wrote:

I'm a huge Jovetic fan. I think he is right up there talent wise with the very best & could be one of the stars of the Premier League. But he has not been linking up with Aguero (until recently which was looking promising tbf) & sad to say, is never fucking fit.

If someone was to offer us a good price & the right player was available to buy, I think we would do it. A swap would be an unlikely coincidence though.

The fitness thing has been an issue no doubt, last season his character was called in to question. I think he is up for the cause and despite further injury this season he has improved. He showed more in the second half of last season, a good pre season ahead of and an ok start to this. Was impressed that he was in the tunnel wishing each city player the best ahead of the taking the field yesterday. He was the only one of our injured stars who addressed each player individually, that says to me he is more settled.

I hope he gets over his frailties where injuries are concerned and can continue his city journey in a more positive manner, as like yourself I think he has the talent
Spurge
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby phips » Sun Dec 21, 2014 5:05 pm

Nigels Tackle wrote:wolfsburg's kevin de bruyne being linked with a £20m switch in jan...

yeah, just read that. i like him very much as a player.

he for sure wasn't given enough time at Chelsea but you do have to wonder why Jose shipped him out so quickly.
I'm not really a City fan. I'm just here for attention.

Barclays Premier League 2011-2012 CHAMP1-6NS
Barclays Premier League 2013-2014 CHAMP156NS
Barclays Premier League 2017-2018 CHAMP100NS
Barclays Premier League 2018-2019 CHAMP14ONS
Barclays Premier League 2020-2021 CHAM21ONS
Barclays Premier League 2021-2022 CHAM93ONS
Barclays Premier League 2022-2023 CHAM3XIONS
2022-2023 Domestic & European TR3BLE WINNERS
phips
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Supporter of: Man City, Dortmund
My favourite player is: David Silva, Marco Reus

Postby South Stand Balti » Sun Dec 21, 2014 7:17 pm

Spurge wrote:

I think there has been some dismay at his injuries, and patience is running out. I'm not convinced that the club have been able to identify the exact nature of the muscle/hamstring problems.. I do think the lad is very talented but very very flakey. He eventually was declared fit last season but did nt start a game because he had an upset stomach for e.g. With the so called FFP constraints I don't think we can go out and buy a top player, which is why I expect a direct or indirect swap even if just on a loan basis.
South Stand Balti
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: Manchester City FC
My favourite player is: Yaya

Postby john@staustell » Mon Dec 22, 2014 7:15 am

If the campus comes online, do we get a big influx of sponsorship money then, or would that start next season ?

Evening News is running the Ross Barkley story again, as if we are after him in Jan. Not sure they could find 60 mil in Jan. Could pay half & the rest in summer though I suppose. Rags effectively doing that with Falcao.

The UEFA wording on the transfer spend was impossibly wooly, deliberately so undoubtedly. So only our execs really know what we can spend in Jan. Something about net position at the 'start of that window'.

To me Barkley is good when he's good, other times anonymous.
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: City

Postby Hazy2 » Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:48 am

john@staustell wrote:

The UEFA wording on the transfer spend was impossibly wooly, deliberately so undoubtedly. So only our execs really know what we can spend in Jan. Something about net position at the 'start of that window'.

To me Barkley is good when he's good, other times anonymous.

It would have to be some player to get in that M.F. Pogba for me, he will be a mega star.
Hazy2
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby Ted Hughes » Mon Dec 22, 2014 11:34 am

DeBruyne's agent says catagorically that he's not signing for City, no contact has been made & anyone contacting him would be wasting their time anyway, as he's not going anywhere.

Good.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum