Under 19's v Bayern

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Under 19's v Bayern

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Wed Nov 26, 2014 6:56 pm

Did anyone watch this 6 nil thrashing yesterday? It was about as one sided as the scoreline suggests( for the 2nd year running) so as a one off game it does make it hard to assess just how good the team is or individuals are as Bayern are crap!

Vieira insists on playing a passing game,goalkeeper included, still plays guys out of position which I assume is for the experience of different roles but it hardly if at all shows. Pozo with the first team squad yesterday but instead of playing Ambrose in his natural role he left him wide right and threw Celina in as a lone striker.

I reckoned Celina's movement was pretty good but he didn't look a natural leader of the line to me.But his 2 goals were absolutely superbly taken.The bottom line is that he is yet another emerging talent where we will be asking is he going to be good enough to make it at City's level.Early to say but we had a good bunch playing in this under 19's side you would be asking that same question of.

Gunn,Maffeo,Angelino,Bryan,Byrne,Ambrose,Barker,Celina. Maybe even Ntcham and also as a real new prospect Adarabioyo. Pozo plus Lopes on top of that an then it's into the under 18's for more great prospects.

Are we getting it right?
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Re: Under 19's v Bayern

Postby twosips » Wed Nov 26, 2014 7:07 pm

I watched about 60 minutes of it before I had to go to work.

The answer to your question? A resounding yes. Some absolutely wonderful players in that youth group and it'd appear they're all being brilliantly trained. Was so impressed with basically all of them - their technical ability and desire to work for the ball was a joy to watch.

I'll be damned if most of them aren't (with a bit of luck) aren't good enough for this level. I highly doubt the likes of current and recent first teamers likeb Zabaleta, Clichy, Barry, Navas, Milner etc were any better at that age than most of them were. Seriously talented bunch and i expect over the next 3/4 years we'll gain several squad members and one or two actual stars from this group and the ones just below.
twosips
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: mcfc

Postby Green & Blue » Wed Nov 26, 2014 7:15 pm

Not had a chance to watch it yet but have it set to record.The game is being shown again on Eurosport tomorrow morning.

It certainly seems Paddy V has got these boys playing some very good stuff.I will be very surprised if some of the present talent coming through don't make it into the first team set up.
Green & Blue
David Silva's Silky Skills

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby john68 » Wed Nov 26, 2014 7:17 pm

Missedthe first 3 goals Doug but even though the kids seemed to have eased up a little,they were far too strong, clever and technically for Bayern.

Ambrose and Angelino were the eye catchers but it was a top line team and individual performance by all of them.

Well impressed.
I KNOW THAT YOU BELIEVE THAT YOU UNDERSTOOD WHAT YOU THINK I WROTE, BUT I AM NOT SURE YOU REALISE THAT WHAT YOU READ IS NOT WHAT I MEANT
john68
Kaptain Kompany's Komposure

Supporter of: ST MARKS (W GORTON)
My favourite player is: BERT TRAUTMANN

Postby Ted Hughes » Wed Nov 26, 2014 7:26 pm

twosips wrote:I watched about 60 minutes of it before I had to go to work.

The answer to your question? A resounding yes. Some absolutely wonderful players in that youth group and it'd appear they're all being brilliantly trained. Was so impressed with basically all of them - their technical ability and desire to work for the ball was a joy to watch.

I'll be damned if most of them aren't (with a bit of luck) aren't good enough for this level. I highly doubt the likes of current and recent first teamers likeb Zabaleta, Clichy, Barry, Navas, Milner etc were any better at that age than most of them were. Seriously talented bunch and i expect over the next 3/4 years we'll gain several squad members and one or two actual stars from this group and the ones just below.

Three things for me:

1: that they don't go off the rails like many of City's past academy players (drunks, muggers, rapists, mentalists, fatties, big headed turds, murderers etc)

2: they develop enough physically to be able to play the same way vs adults as they can against younger players.

3: they don't get phased by playing in big games & are able to maintain their compusure on the ball, control & pass under pressure just the same as they do now (which our current first team are unable to do on nights like last night for example).

Imo, almost any of the lads who can tick those boxes will make it at City. The ability is there already. They just have to grow into adults, & repeat it.

They are already better footballers than many of the first team squad are now, let alone how they were in the past. No way do any of those players listed have more football ability than many of the kids. But they are tougher, most are more powerful, & they know how to play in the Premier League etc.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby Ted Hughes » Wed Nov 26, 2014 7:32 pm

Forgot to mention: Dilrosun looks the dog's bollocks as well in the little bits I've seen, & by all accounts Kongolo is impressing greatly when used.

Lad came on for England schoolboys vs Scotland & instantly looked better than most others. Bashiru (I think).

There is another kid of about that age (English lad) who I've only seen once, who looked a better prospect than just about anybody I've seen at the academy. Can't remember his name .

Edit: Diallou.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby blues2win » Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:03 pm

Stuart Brennan was raving about Ambrose although Brandon Barker seems to have had another excellent game. The question is who of them might be in the first team squad next season and if they do would they get enough minutes for their development or be better off on loan? Add to that Cole Zuculini Denayer Lopes the future's bright the future's blue. Full marks to Vieira in fairness; it must be inspiring to be coached by such a legend of the game.
blues2win
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: david silva

Postby Ted Hughes » Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:45 pm

blues2win wrote:Stuart Brennan was raving about Ambrose although Brandon Barker seems to have had another excellent game. The question is who of them might be in the first team squad next season and if they do would they get enough minutes for their development or be better off on loan? Add to that Cole Zuculini Denayer Lopes the future's bright the future's blue. Full marks to Vieira in fairness; it must be inspiring to be coached by such a legend of the game.

It's different for attackers rather than defenders imo. Denayer for instance has huge potential but could we risk him at cb in Prem games, at this stage, however talented ?

But some of the attacking players may be that much more mature physically a year from now, so maybe it's feasible one or two could be involved. The manager would have to actually use them though. We can't have them just sat around watching every week.

I would have Cole Lopes Fofana Denayer (as a def mid) as regulars in the first team squad, plus Pozo Barker and possibly one or two others like Keane Bryan, taking turns between the EDS & the first team squad.

The thing to do though, is play them with the top players pre season, & see which ones rise to the challenge.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby iwasthere2012 » Thu Nov 27, 2014 2:20 pm

It would be great to see this team go all the way in this competition.
It would send a few ripples through England and Europe too.
It's like "you know we're coming, you're already too late".

Can't wait for the production line to get in full flow.
iwasthere2012
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva (was PabZab)

Postby Fidel Castro » Thu Nov 27, 2014 2:57 pm

Is adarabioyo any good? Want him to do well, Cholrton lad and his mam is a mate of my missus. She better sort me out with vip tickets if he makes the grade
Fidel Castro
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: City

Postby john68 » Thu Nov 27, 2014 3:03 pm

Ted,

Sometimes I think we are in danger of defining the quality of the Prem as though they were all of the same standard. I certainly think there are teams in the Prem not that far from the standard that Denayer has already been facing whilst on loan. Next season, he would certainly be facing forwards of a far higher standard in his daily training routine at City.
I KNOW THAT YOU BELIEVE THAT YOU UNDERSTOOD WHAT YOU THINK I WROTE, BUT I AM NOT SURE YOU REALISE THAT WHAT YOU READ IS NOT WHAT I MEANT
john68

Postby Ted Hughes » Thu Nov 27, 2014 3:11 pm

john68 wrote:Ted,

Sometimes I think we are in danger of defining the quality of the Prem as though they were all of the same standard. I certainly think there are teams in the Prem not that far from the standard that Denayer has already been facing whilst on loan. Next season, he would certainly be facing forwards of a far higher standard in his daily training routine at City.

He would, but my worry would be as much him playing vs Kenwyne Jones or Carlton Cole as Van Persie. Putting a kid in against experienced, strong, Premier League strikers, is a big gamble, no matter how good, or tough, they are for their age.

As Roy Keane found out when Forest played him cb vs Niall Quinn.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby john68 » Thu Nov 27, 2014 3:21 pm

I don't disagree that there would be a risk against any seasoned attacker Ted, but I do think we tend to wrap our kids in cotton wool a bit and think there are players and times when we have to take a gamble.

We used to see tons of youngsters around 17yrs (some younger) a few years back in the top division. Now they're treated like kids til they're around 21/22yrs. I understand that players are physically stronger but so are most of these kids. At City, he would certainly have enough old heads to help guide him should he need it on the pitch.

Denayer is a big lad and I reckon he could handle it.
john68

Postby Ted Hughes » Thu Nov 27, 2014 3:34 pm

He isn't big for a cb though John, he's only 6ft; smaller than Nastasic & Savic.

I was encouraged in the last game, to see he won several decent headers, but previous to that, Van Dijk & Ambrose had tended to go for all the headers & Denayer just pick up the pieces. We don't have that luxury, as Sagna has just demonstrated.

If he starts to dominate in that area, as the season progresses, then it would be less of a risk, but if he doesn't, then considering we pretty much have to win almost every game we play, I don't see how he can play in that position for City, next season.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby nottsblue » Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:09 pm

A good little 'un is always better than a bad big 'un.

Is Denayers a season long loan or is it till January like Coles. For what its worth I'd recall Cole from Barnsley to have on our bench in January and give him the odd run out. The same for Denayer. Am I right in thinking he has been called up for the full Belgium squad? Whenever I've seen him for Celtic, admittedly only in snippets, he hasn't been physically out muscled. His pisitioning and awareness could be better but that will improve with age. He reminds me of a certain young Micah Richards when he played CB with Dunney
nottsblue

My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby blues2win » Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:55 pm

Fofana off on loan to Fulham till the end of January
blues2win
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Postby blues2win » Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:01 pm

Fofana off on loan to Fulham till the end of January
blues2win
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:59 pm

blues2win wrote:Fofana off on loan to Fulham till the end of January

That's an interesting one.There was some call for him to get into the 1st team squad recently and surely ahead of Glendon based on his performances this season.One to watch closely and I just hope he gets game time.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby twosips » Fri Nov 28, 2014 12:11 am

Could be the making of him if it goes well. Won't be quite as easy to just use his physique to get him out of trouble and he'll have to develop a bit of nous to his game.
twosips
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: mcfc

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:45 am

I think the nous part has been growing from what I have seen of late plus he has been working very hard for the team so it will be great for him as long as he gets game time and doesn't freeze.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Next

Return to The Maine Football forum