*** Leicester v City Official match thread ***

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: *** Leicester v City Official match thread ***

Postby Mase » Sat Dec 13, 2014 7:55 pm

Ted Hughes wrote:It would actually be worth signing Henry for NYC, then loaning him, just to piss Wenger off.

But, we have mentioned it before; David Villa is likely to be kicking his heels in Manchester in a few weeks time.

If Villa isn't here in Jan lll be very very surprised.
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Warnock's Ref Rants
My favourite player is: Danny Tiatto

Postby Beefymcfc » Sat Dec 13, 2014 7:57 pm

For some reason I can sing this all day long.

'...City Win, United Lose, Oh City, You Got Me Singing The Blues.....'

Here's hoping ;-)
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby Mikhail Chigorin » Sat Dec 13, 2014 8:07 pm

nottsblue wrote:
Sister of fu wrote:Henry hasn't got a club at the moment. We can't go into the Xmas period with Pozo and an injury prone Jovetic. It's a real worry.

Could do a lot worse. Doubt he'd come though. Paddy V would have to call in a million favours.

In terms of short term answers, could Torres be loaned out again? He's been crap for Chelsea and hasn't set world on fire at Milan, but he always seems to score for Spain and you get the impression if he was at a club where he felt love, he would do better. Not talking about anything other than a loan here, but if we can't get our primary targets in January, rather than panic buying someone like Bony or Sakho, is he worth a punt? Really unsure myself, but just Pozo would be a concern

On the wireless the other day, it was saying that Torres' contract expires in January and he would be available on a free.

If that's correct and in our current situation, we could do worse.
Mikhail Chigorin
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Bert Trautmann

Postby lovecity8utd » Sat Dec 13, 2014 8:09 pm

Beefymcfc wrote:For some reason I can sing this all day long.

'...City Win, United Lose, Oh City, You Got Me Singing The Blues.....'

Here's hoping ;-)

I've joined in the singing too. As always, would be great
lovecity8utd
Richard Edghill Whipping Boy

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: City's 11

Postby twosips » Sun Dec 14, 2014 8:22 pm

Watching it as I was in work yesterday and I'm seventy five minutes through. The one thing that stands out is despite all the criticism he gets I think we missed Navas. Everything we did was so narrow and it only really improved when Milner came on.

Navas being there at least spreads the pitch and that combined with Zaba's absence meant we had little going forward on the right. I don't mind Sagna but he's not as good at going forward.

Thought defensively we were solid. I like Mangala. He's a proper defender and he's getting better.

Bit disappointed that Pozo hasn't kinda got the arrogance at the moment to just play his own game. If anything he was far too willing to do the hard shift for the team and I wished he'd just taken it on himself to drop a bit deeper and come looking for the ball as I reckon his confidence would rocket. Shame really.
twosips
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: mcfc

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Sun Dec 14, 2014 8:45 pm

twosips wrote:Watching it as I was in work yesterday and I'm seventy five minutes through. The one thing that stands out is despite all the criticism he gets I think we missed Navas. Everything we did was so narrow and it only really improved when Milner came on.

Navas being there at least spreads the pitch and that combined with Zaba's absence meant we had little going forward on the right. I don't mind Sagna but he's not as good at going forward.

Thought defensively we were solid. I like Mangala. He's a proper defender and he's getting better.

Bit disappointed that Pozo hasn't kinda got the arrogance at the moment to just play his own game. If anything he was far too willing to do the hard shift for the team and I wished he'd just taken it on himself to drop a bit deeper and come looking for the ball as I reckon his confidence would rocket. Shame really.

Dropping deeper to get the ball at his feet is what I would like to see also.That's really what he is all about and definitely not playing as an out and out front man with a massive center half up his backside. I am guessing that MP will have asked him to do it tho so there is some kind of focal point and to occupy the center backs.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby twosips » Sun Dec 14, 2014 8:54 pm

Yeah i've no doubt he was fulfilling Pellegrini's orders but still a shame. Nasri actually did a half decent impression of what I thought Pozo would look like if he played his normal game in the last twenty minutes. Samir was the 'striker', so to speak but he got involved and dropped deep sometimes and i think that's more what we'd expect from Pozo. Having said all that there were one or two nice little flicks and even the volley he tried where he tried to lob the keeper first time from distance showed his technical mindset. He's not your average striker - he's a thinker - i feel a bit sorry for him that he's having to try and make his name this way at the moment.
twosips
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby Slim » Sun Dec 14, 2014 9:07 pm

I am sure they spent a couple of days working on a gameplan which included having a 6'4" striker who is adept at holding up the ball and bringing midfielders into play.

When you are a 5'10" slight striker who's strength lies in running off the shoulder of another player or dropping into the hole, you can't expect him to shine when asked to do the job of the former, especially with a whole 30 minutes prep-time.

I think anyone who judged him on the Leicester game needs a wobble, and it should have been made clear to him at the end that everything he did was more than expected. You could see his frustration in the 2nd half, gave away 4 freekicks in about 6 minutes(one foul, 3 offsides), so you know he was feeling it.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby twosips » Sun Dec 14, 2014 9:23 pm

Oh yeah I'm not criticising him at all. I just think it's absolutely pointless getting him to play Dzeko's game. If your 6'3 striker goes off you don't then presume your tiny 18 year old striker is the same and get him to play the same way. They should have a gameplan of what to do if this occurred as it wasn't an unlikely scenario and that should have included a way to get him into the game and actually useful.
twosips
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby Tokyo Blue » Mon Dec 15, 2014 1:44 am

Slim wrote:I am sure they spent a couple of days working on a gameplan which included having a 6'4" striker who is adept at holding up the ball and bringing midfielders into play.

When you are a 5'10" slight striker who's strength lies in running off the shoulder of another player or dropping into the hole, you can't expect him to shine when asked to do the job of the former, especially with a whole 30 minutes prep-time.

I think anyone who judged him on the Leicester game needs a wobble, and it should have been made clear to him at the end that everything he did was more than expected. You could see his frustration in the 2nd half, gave away 4 freekicks in about 6 minutes(one foul, 3 offsides), so you know he was feeling it.

I think the criticism flying around is directed at certain other players who played as if Pozo were Dzeko. I believe the quality of player we have available should be well capable of adapting and improvising.
Your right leg I like; I've got nothing against your right leg. The trouble is neither have you.
Tokyo Blue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Postby zuricity » Mon Dec 15, 2014 5:24 am

Tokyo Blue wrote:
Slim wrote:I am sure they spent a couple of days working on a gameplan which included having a 6'4" striker who is adept at holding up the ball and bringing midfielders into play.

I think the criticism flying around is directed at certain other players who played as if Pozo were Dzeko. I believe the quality of player we have available should be well capable of adapting and improvising.

+1.

This is a more appropriate argument to make.

Kun isn't a 6'4" Striker either. Our top players should be able to adapt to a youngster coming in.
An obvious example was Yaya's reluctance to pass to him in an open chance on goal and fumble a shot himself.
"Well I'll go to the foot of our stairs."
zuricity
Joe Corrigan's Gloves

Postby Slim » Mon Dec 15, 2014 6:16 am

zuricity wrote:
Tokyo Blue wrote:

+1.

Kun isn't a 6'4" Striker either. Our top players should be able to adapt to a youngster coming in.
An obvious example was Yaya's reluctance to pass to him in an open chance on goal and fumble a shot himself.

Yeah, but I was told I had misread criticism twice and I never used the word criticism, so not sure how much more appropriate it is.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby zuricity » Mon Dec 15, 2014 6:52 am

Slim wrote:
zuricity wrote:
Tokyo Blue wrote:

+1.

Yeah, but I was told I had misread criticism twice and I never used the word criticism, so not sure how much more appropriate it is.

Slim

I think the vast majority of posters on here agree with most of what you write.

I am not making any other point than TB is making , that the kid needs to be nurtured . I would much rather see Yaya give him the pass even if he does fluff it Than see Yaya try to do something nigh impossible to carry out successfully.
"Well I'll go to the foot of our stairs."
zuricity
Joe Corrigan's Gloves

Postby Wonderwall » Mon Dec 15, 2014 1:13 pm

Dameerto wrote:
guv111 wrote:So, only two people are actually watching?

And people dare to say Mancityfans is a bit lacking in members.

Some people watch the first half uninterrupted before commenting. I bet there's a good few at the Etihad as well, they're showing it for free I think.

Etihad experience was very mixed. The beer was expensive although you did get a free bottle of Heineken upon entry. There was the pre match talk with Ian Brightwell, Fanzone Danny and Natalie Pike, a couple of competitions for a fre City shirt which was all good. However the match itself was beamed back to the many flat screen TV's but the feed was shocking it kept freezing throughout the game (I am sure they must have used wiziwig).

There were a lot of blues in there (300-400?), but it wasn't organised well enough IMO. There weren't enough tables and seats, many people wanted to order food and ended up sat on the carpet to eat it. Not good for the families with young kids.

If one of these is held again, get there as early as you can as having a seat at a table makes a massive difference.
Wonderwall
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Gods own team

Previous

Return to The Maine Football forum