Youth Cup v Oxford at the CFA

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Youth Cup v Oxford at the CFA

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:20 pm

A nice win for our youth team where maybe the most notable thing was no Ambrose or Barker (assuming he is still eligible)which I think confirms what we already knew about them training with the first team squad this week.

An easy win it was and how it was only 2 nil is a mystery.And the 2nd goal came in injury time from the best player on the pitch,Celina.This lad is a real talent and ran the game.He shows great awareness, has a wonderful touch, plays both simple and clever balls and scores goals.

Also a bit special tonight was Aaron Nemane.definitely one to look out for. Like Brandon Barker he has a fantastic turn of pace over 5 or 10 yards and if tonight is anything to go by he skins full backs on both sides.Set up the first and a number of other chances as well and he also missed a one on one.

Maybe Oxford were just poor but most of the players looked good tonight.Angelino was giving them hell down the left side and he was playing full back. Buckley Ricketts was always a problem for them down the middle and it was good to get 25 minutes of a future star in Garcia.This lad surely will make it.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Re: Youth Cup v Oxford at the CFA

Postby Goaters 103 » Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:22 pm

Hows the minihad looking Doug - did a full 2,500 turn up as well?
Goaters 103
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:23 pm

Here's the official match report for the lazy ones.

Sale-born Marcus Wood gave City the lead midway through the first half, and Bersant Celina added his name to the scoresheet to make the tie safe and ensure the Us went home empty-handed.

On another day, the young blues might have scored a hatful as they created a plethora of chances, including 19 in the second half alone, and although the visitors battled valiantly this was a thoroughly deserved victory for Jason Wilcox’s youngsters.

City last lifted the Youth Cup trophy in 2008, and exited last year’s competition at the fifth round stage, courtesy of a 3-1 defeat at the hands of Fulham. Determined to go further this season, City hosted Oxford knowing that a home draw with Coventry awaited the winners.

Jason Wilcox selected a strong side with the headline news being the appearance of Angelino at left back. The Spaniard was on the bench for the first team earlier this month, and alongside Bersant Celina is a regular member of the UEFA Youth League starting line-up.

But while the likes of Brandon Barker, Kean Bryan and Thierry Ambrose remain eligible for the competition, Wilcox largely kept faith with the young side who are challenging at the top of the u18 Premier League North Division.

Skipper Tosin Adarabioyo partnered Cameron Humphreys at the centre of defence, while Isaac Buckley led the line up top.

It was a cagey affair in the opening stages, with few chances of note. City were utterly dominant in possession and territory, and Aaron Nemane gave his opposite number a torrid time but the final ball was often lacking.

Nemane should perhaps have done better when Buckley fed the ball through the defence but his shot was just wide, while Rodney Kongolo’s effort was easy for Jack Stevens after a nice City move begun by Wood’s driving run through midfield.

In the end it took 26 minutes for City to convert superior possession into the crucial opening goal – Wood stroking the ball home from 12 yards following the cutback from the excellent Nemane on the right.

Celina curled a precise effort narrowly the wrong side of the woodwork, while Isaac Buckley’s shot was deflected over as City sought the second goal their display merited.

At the other end, Charlie Albinson was rarely troubled although he did well to get down quickly and smother the ball at Adriel George’s feet, while the ball whistled someway off target from 25 yards shortly before the half time whistle from the foot of Seth Humphries.

Wood’s goal was the difference between the sides at the break, but the Us emerged from the tunnel stronger and Albinson made a good stop at his near post to prevent Fred Grant from tucking home the equaliser.

Oxford showed their determination but Celina’s class nearly made them pay on the hour mark, when he dribbled neatly past three desperately retreating defenders only to find Stevens in the way, and Buckley could only lift the rebound high into the stand.

Dilrosun was next to test Stevens from distance, and the young keeper had to be alert to push away Angelino’s cheeky attempt from a full 30 yards out.

The young Blues were piling the pressure on their opponents, but the second goal proved elusive despite the continuing multitude of chances.

Nemane switched to the left after the introduction of Paulo Fernandes, but the right back fared no better against his electric pace and he left him dizzy before cutting back for Celina, whose shot ricocheted back off the limb of a defender.

Fernandes stung the palms of Stevens as the minutes ticked by, while Angelino was unlucky to see his effort fly wide after the goalkeeper couldn’t hold onto an increasingly slippery match ball.

City pressed forward again and again in an effort to finally see off the visitors, and it was perhaps fitting that the influential Celina had the final word, finishing with aplomb from inside the box deep into stoppage time.

The 476 fans who braved the north west weather were treated to an exciting attacking display, and City u18s signed off for Christmas in style with a fourth round appearance to look forward to in the New Year.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Ted Hughes » Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:55 pm

The mini stadium is great & I had a look at the latest version of the new stand, which is in actual fact 'massive'. Walking past that then over the bridge the whole thing is so impressive. It's like in the film when they see the wall built to contain King Kong, for the first time. It will be an imposing structure.

The football was as described by Doug & the OS. Talent abounds. All of them look good as do all the ones not playing. We have never had this amount of talent at one time. Nowhere near.

One thing I observed; the cbs on the ball, with Oxford players charging at them, the keeper shouting " keep it, keep it, pass pass pass" & they did, including passing to him like he was an outfield player.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby carolina-blue » Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:50 am

Thanks Doug and Ted . The place sounds awesome . And how lucky are the next gen of Blues. With this sort of talent coming through Trying to get back in Feb for a game .any game will do .Lol
carolina-blue
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Postby twosips » Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:53 am

It's really fucking exciting isn't? There's a reason we have a relatively 'old' squad and its cos the men that run the club know that coming through is an insanely talented bunch of players. We're not gonna block em cos we'll be making our own and its gonna piss of United, Chelsea and Arsenal so much. Cannot wait.

Garcia will be world class. He's exceptional.
twosips
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: mcfc

Postby nottsblue » Fri Dec 19, 2014 7:13 am

A question for Doug or Ted who regularly see these players, or anyone else who does. It's in relation to the Sterling thread and injury thread.

Have we got anyone near to Sterling? Or to a forward? Ie, is it worth spending huge sums on a Sterling or a Bony or a Benteke? Because if we have lads who look promising and may even be better in a couple of years, we are surely better to let these come through even if it means a potless year or two?
nottsblue

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby Slim » Fri Dec 19, 2014 7:26 am

nottsblue wrote:A question for Doug or Ted who regularly see these players, or anyone else who does. It's in relation to the Sterling thread and injury thread.

Have we got anyone near to Sterling? Or to a forward? Ie, is it worth spending huge sums on a Sterling or a Bony or a Benteke? Because if we have lads who look promising and may even be better in a couple of years, we are surely better to let these come through even if it means a potless year or two?

That's a good question, we hear about these lads being this good and yet they end up being shipped or loaned never to return.

Is there anyone good enough to hit the 1st team running or is there no way to tell at this stage?
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby kinkylola » Fri Dec 19, 2014 7:42 am

Apparently we have the oldest squad in the prem? I dunno ... but I'm more excited than ever about our youth. I think the penny is starting to drop for a lot of the people who original thought we were 'just a toy' for our owners that they would eventually get bored of. Some have started to realize that they are not only in this for the long haul, but that they are people who not only plan for success, but demand it of themselves and those they work with.

I was perfectly fine with people dismissing us as flashes in the pan. Fuck 'em.
kinkylola
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby BlueinBosnia » Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:47 am

kinkylola wrote:Apparently we have the oldest squad in the prem? I dunno ... but I'm more excited than ever about our youth. I think the penny is starting to drop for a lot of the people who original thought we were 'just a toy' for our owners that they would eventually get bored of. Some have started to realize that they are not only in this for the long haul, but that they are people who not only plan for success, but demand it of themselves and those they work with.

I think at the point of the takeover we had the youngest squad in the Prem. From that squad, a few have grown into key players in the team (Hart, Kompany, Zabaleta) while where others have been replaced by like-for-like signings, there have been relatively few instances where we've traded for a considerably younger player...
"Ferguson. Žvaka kurac."
(Ferguson. Chewing-gum cock.)
Old man in a bar in rural Bosnia.
BlueinBosnia
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: Team Bridge

Postby Ted Hughes » Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:50 am

Slim wrote:
nottsblue wrote:A question for Doug or Ted who regularly see these players, or anyone else who does. It's in relation to the Sterling thread and injury thread.

That's a good question, we hear about these lads being this good and yet they end up being shipped or loaned never to return.

Is there anyone good enough to hit the 1st team running or is there no way to tell at this stage?

The last line is the answer.

I don't see them in the flesh that often, so Doug has a better handle on it from that point of view, I'm just avid at watching every broadcast or video I can find.

All I can vouch for, is the talent we have, at the age they are now. It means nothing in regard to the first team, until they actually do it at that level.

There are a decent number of exceptions of course, but on the whole, the players who have had the most impact at a young age in this country, usually have either build, pace or both. For every Scholes, there are 20 Lennons or Wellbecks.

So let's have a look at Pozo. Great footballer, decent but not electric pace, not especially well built. In all honesty, a waste of time in the games he's played in the first team. But for one, he has only played two games & secondly, it is not his position. He has applied himself to a difficult task.

Doug will tell you; Pozo is really talented, & I mean REALLY talented. But you have seen him twice now. Can you tell me if he is a guaranteed future success or failure at that level ? Can you tell by those two games, if he will be good, average or shite in a couple of months, if he played ten games ? I can't & I KNOW the lad is brilliant.

But he may look exactly the same, if he plays ten games in his favourite position. He may look the same in two years & be out of the club. On the other hand, he may suddenly skin three players, play & 1-2 with Silva & curl the goal of the season into the top corner. He is capable of that. He could score the goal which Barkley scored the other night. He can do that. He can play the kind of football Xavi & Iniesta, & Silva play. Will he ?

Barker has pace & is tricky as fuck & intelligent. I would say, he could come on v Palace & tear them a new arsehole. I would also say, he could come on & just lose the ball & be nothing. Ambrose is small but super talented & fast. Same with him.

All I will say, is that amongst the age groups we have enough players with sufficient talent, to potentially make a whole team & more. But I have no fucking idea whatsoever, which ones will succeed if fast tracked or will do it later or which ones will lose their nerve or be too lightweight.

But we need to remember that Sterling for instance, was very hit & miss when he first came into Liverpool's team. Then was great. Now is unreliable but talented but may suddenly go up another level again..

I would expect Barker to at least be able to replicate that performance level given the same opportunity as Sterling. But like Sterling, he may well just be hit & miss for a year or so before it all clicks. But I want to see him & Ambrose, & plenty of these kids, used as wild cards, to see which ones take to it early.

At least one of them will, if given the opportunity.

Iheanacho by the way, I would expect to be a nailed on first team 4th striker by the end of the season if he starts in Jan. He is different.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:51 am

Ted just about covers it perfectly.It's so hard to make it at the top level and of course by that I just don't mean premier league but the top end of the premier league where we are now. If we had these young kids and we were still in the championship (yes I know totally unrealistic) then we could list a whole bunch who will easily make it at that level.

Pozo is an interesting case though. watching his introduction in these last 2 games and you can see how he can be bullied out of the game very easily if he has to play as the front man with a big goon up his backside.The defender doesn't really need to kick him or anything he just uses his physical strength to press through and win balls that Pozo would have been able to manage playing against his age group peers. Barker may well be similar in that a full back would look to clatter him early to see what he is made of.

I have a sneaky feeling Barker is made of the right stuff and I believe there might be an interview with him coming out soon on the OS which will show he is a well grounded young man.For tomorrow's game I would be really excited to see Ambrose given a go up top.I doubt it will happen as it would be seen as a slight on Pozo but Ambrose is another great prospect and maybe more suited to the role he would be asked to play.

Watching last night it was amazing to see how they played without some key players for the age group. Maffeo especially as a defender but also Bryan in midfield. I would say Nemane could be a better prospect than Navas although he might not get through the overall work needed at the top level just yet. But he has the same pace to threaten a full back with the added bonus that he can cut in and be a real threat as well which I don't see from Navas.

Ted, we really must meet at one of these youth games in the New Year.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Ted Hughes » Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:16 am

Douglas Higginbottom wrote:Ted just about covers it perfectly.It's so hard to make it at the top level and of course by that I just don't mean premier league but the top end of the premier league where we are now. If we had these young kids and we were still in the championship (yes I know totally unrealistic) then we could list a whole bunch who will easily make it at that level.

Pozo is an interesting case though. watching his introduction in these last 2 games and you can see how he can be bullied out of the game very easily if he has to play as the front man with a big goon up his backside.The defender doesn't really need to kick him or anything he just uses his physical strength to press through and win balls that Pozo would have been able to manage playing against his age group peers. Barker may well be similar in that a full back would look to clatter him early to see what he is made of.

I have a sneaky feeling Barker is made of the right stuff and I believe there might be an interview with him coming out soon on the OS which will show he is a well grounded young man.For tomorrow's game I would be really excited to see Ambrose given a go up top.I doubt it will happen as it would be seen as a slight on Pozo but Ambrose is another great prospect and maybe more suited to the role he would be asked to play.

Watching last night it was amazing to see how they played without some key players for the age group. Maffeo especially as a defender but also Bryan in midfield. I would say Nemane could be a better prospect than Navas although he might not get through the overall work needed at the top level just yet. But he has the same pace to threaten a full back with the added bonus that he can cut in and be a real threat as well which I don't see from Navas.

Ted, we really must meet at one of these youth games in the New Year.

I'm hoping to get to more games now they have moved in. Hoping anyway.

Hyde was out of the question most of the time.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby nottsblue » Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:45 am

Thanks for the responses to my question, gents. I know we can never be sure of which players 'make it' especially when we are at the top of the tree domestically.

Do we trust in a couple of these though and decline to spend big in case the said player blocks the path of a youngster ordo we go with the objective Marwood came out with on the CFA opening about 4/5 homegrown players in the first eleven? Is it still a few years too soon for that to be achievable or do we bite the bullet, trust in a couple of these lads and take a year or two of possibly no silverware to reap rewards later on. Imagine the incentive the under 17s & under 16s will have if they know there is a really great chance they will be given their opportunity. Signing a Sterling who is still only 20 will block off a place for a long time potentially, may this do damage to the lower age groups as their incentive decreases?

Really difficult to gauge imo. Myself, I think as a club we are in a position, both financially and on the field where we can put some trust in the EDS, and take a short term hit ( though who is to say we won't win pots) and only spend if a superstar becomes available. A Bale or a Messi or a Neuer or a Suarez for example.
nottsblue

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby Slim » Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:51 am

I would like to see Pozo given a striking partner as he does not look like a lead-the-line solo act like Dzeko or Aguero, I think then we'll see what the player is made of.

If Silva wasn't just returning from injury, Nasri and Yaya weren't patchy in form and our backline stable I'd be inclined to take a huge punt and play Ambrose alongside Pozo and see if they can reinvent the forward line while our senior strikers are all fucked. Not like they haven't played together before, might work better than imagined.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby carl_feedthegoat » Fri Dec 19, 2014 1:01 pm

Slim wrote:I would like to see Pozo given a striking partner as he does not look like a lead-the-line solo act like Dzeko or Aguero, I think then we'll see what the player is made of.

If Silva wasn't just returning from injury, Nasri and Yaya weren't patchy in form and our backline stable I'd be inclined to take a huge punt and play Ambrose alongside Pozo and see if they can reinvent the forward line while our senior strikers are all fucked. Not like they haven't played together before, might work better than imagined.

Huge gamble it'd be though , in todays pressure cooker of "must get points" line ups like that will only happen when there is fuckall other options on the table - Pelle would play Silva upfront on his own before going down the road of playing Pozo and someone like Ambrose alongside him.

Plenty would love to see it though , me included.
THEY SAY SWEARING IS DUE TO A LIMITED VOCABULARY. I KNOW THOUSANDS OF WORDS, BUT I STILL PREFER "FUCK OFF" TO "GO AWAY"
carl_feedthegoat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Man City

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Fri Dec 19, 2014 1:27 pm

Slim wrote:I would like to see Pozo given a striking partner as he does not look like a lead-the-line solo act like Dzeko or Aguero, I think then we'll see what the player is made of.

Playing one is a possible as we have seen but I would say no chance of 2 together unless the circumstances were truly desperate.

I do believe the owners include youngsters coming through the academy as key in their plans for the club.Based on what we have seen since they took over I have no doubts it will happen. I would not bring in a new expensive full back as we have Angelino and Maffeo coming through.That's what makes the transfer of Sagna a sensible move imo.

Top class midfield players might be something else.It's such a crucial position in the way we play so it's essential we have real top quality as we have just now with Silva,Yaya,Nasri , the 2 F's and Milner. Possibles in that area are Celina,Garcia maybe Bryan and then for the wide players we have the likes of Barker and Nemane. I cannot believe none of those will come through.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Wonderwall » Fri Dec 19, 2014 1:37 pm

Douglas Higginbottom wrote:

Playing one is a possible as we have seen but I would say no chance of 2 together unless the circumstances were truly desperate.

I do believe the owners include youngsters coming through the academy as key in their plans for the club.Based on what we have seen since they took over I have no doubts it will happen. I would not bring in a new expensive full back as we have Angelino and Maffeo coming through.That's what makes the transfer of Sagna a sensible move imo.

Top class midfield players might be something else.It's such a crucial position in the way we play so it's essential we have real top quality as we have just now with Silva,Yaya,Nasri , the 2 F's and Milner. Possibles in that area are Celina,Garcia maybe Bryan and then for the wide players we have the likes of Barker and Nemane. I cannot believe none of those will come through.

If we are in the fortunate position of having won the league with 3 or more games to play, it would be nice to see them given a run out en masse

If we are in the unfortunate position of having lost the league with 3 or more games to play, it would be nice to see them given a run out en masse
Wonderwall

Supporter of: Gods own team

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Fri Dec 19, 2014 3:01 pm

Wonderwall wrote:
Douglas Higginbottom wrote:

If we are in the fortunate position of having won the league with 3 or more games to play, it would be nice to see them given a run out en masse

If we are in the unfortunate position of having lost the league with 3 or more games to play, it would be nice to see them given a run out en masse

FA Cup v Sheff W will be an interesting team selection
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Slim » Fri Dec 19, 2014 3:12 pm

Doug, what do you think of Barkley? Is it a waste because we have better coming or should we punt on him and bring through Garcia? If Garcia is a few years away we have two central midfielders on the wrong side of 30 now.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Next

Return to The Maine Football forum