Youth Cup v Oxford at the CFA

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Youth Cup v Oxford at the CFA

Postby Ted Hughes » Fri Dec 19, 2014 3:37 pm

I very much doubt Barkley has more football ability than some of our midfield lads. In fact I recon some of ours are better footballers. Some possibly by a margin.

But he has the full package; the talent plus a bit of pace & size, physique etc. I'm not sure we have a player in that position which ticks all those boxes. But we do have imo, potential attacking mids, defensive mids, wide players, strikers, defenders, centre mids who do a bit of each, so do we need a Barkley, or can we just make up a balanced team from what we have anyway ?

It's a difficult one. Do you trust enough kids will come through, or do you sign the likes of Barkley. I suppose we could actually do both.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby twosips » Fri Dec 19, 2014 3:44 pm

I see no reason against signing a Barkley or someone. But i don't think we should be signing both Barkley and Sterling. One or the other imo as we don't need to sign two young attacking players for big bucks when we've got so much potential coming through.

I actually think Lopes has it in him to do a lot of the stuff Barkley does. Having said that he can do anything Sterling can too imo... he has to be someone we look to integrate cos he's definitely got 'it'.

I'd rather Barkley than Sterling for what its worth.
twosips
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: mcfc

Postby Ted Hughes » Fri Dec 19, 2014 3:51 pm

twosips wrote:I see no reason against signing a Barkley or someone. But i don't think we should be signing both Barkley and Sterling. One or the other imo as we don't need to sign two young attacking players for big bucks when we've got so much potential coming through.

I actually think Lopes has it in him to do a lot of the stuff Barkley does. Having said that he can do anything Sterling can too imo... he has to be someone we look to integrate cos he's definitely got 'it'.

If a lot of those kids do come through, we will be a bit small up top as a squad & may need neither Barkley nor Sterling but actually a new Negredo & Yaya.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Wonderwall » Fri Dec 19, 2014 4:13 pm

Ted Hughes wrote:
twosips wrote:I see no reason against signing a Barkley or someone. But i don't think we should be signing both Barkley and Sterling. One or the other imo as we don't need to sign two young attacking players for big bucks when we've got so much potential coming through.

If a lot of those kids do come through, we will be a bit small up top as a squad & may need neither Barkley nor Sterling but actually a new Negredo & Yaya.

Cole is about 6' isnt he?
Wonderwall

Supporter of: Gods own team

Postby john68 » Fri Dec 19, 2014 4:35 pm

I think it would be unfair to try and judge Pozo on his last performance. He was played out of position, on his own at the front and as Sagna said, was looked after by 2 bouncers. There was one incident that saw him bullied by beef and the bouncer patted Pozo on his head. Wasn't sure whether it was with respect or being patronising.

Most kids who enter the 1st team battle,are protected by others, I didn't see much protection going on, except some pre-match chat by Lampard.
He's a kid with talent, needs a few weetabix down him and a bit of experience to learn to deal with or take the beef that's given him.

Plenty of time for him yet.
I KNOW THAT YOU BELIEVE THAT YOU UNDERSTOOD WHAT YOU THINK I WROTE, BUT I AM NOT SURE YOU REALISE THAT WHAT YOU READ IS NOT WHAT I MEANT
john68
Kaptain Kompany's Komposure

Supporter of: ST MARKS (W GORTON)
My favourite player is: BERT TRAUTMANN

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Fri Dec 19, 2014 5:12 pm

Slim wrote:Doug, what do you think of Barkley? Is it a waste because we have better coming or should we punt on him and bring through Garcia? If Garcia is a few years away we have two central midfielders on the wrong side of 30 now.

I think Barkley has massive potential and could be a superstar so I could see us going big to get him.I am not sure what Everton are doing now thinking about playing him deeper because his special talent is attacking,taking players on and scoring goals from what I have seen.

In 2 years we could well have a couple of top midfield players in say Garcia and Celina but they would be out of their depth now whereas Barkley would hit the ground running with City.I would definitely prefer him to Sterling
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Ted Hughes » Sat Dec 20, 2014 10:20 am

Wonderwall wrote:
Ted Hughes wrote:

Cole is about 6' isnt he?

He is, but he's not a traditional cf type player. He's better running with the ball rather than fighting for it.

Re Barkley, the whole of the football industry seems to think he is going to become some kind of Yaya Toure kind of player. Whether that's down to what the experts who study him have said, or whether it's just the tv types I don't know. Right now, I'd trust Yaya more without the ball, than I would Barkley, & I'd imagine he gets off about 100% more passes than Barkley does during a game.

One question re Barkley; has anyone ever seen him play, like we do ? I mean the short, quick passing which Silva, Nasri, Yaya do routinely in tight spaces. Do we know Barkley can actually do it ? Be a bit of a fucker if we signed him & found out the ball bounced off him when we go up to our 'A' game.

Our kids can do it.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Slim » Sat Dec 20, 2014 10:53 am

I think Barkley is the real deal, been saying it for a while now. I think when there is an English kid who comes through the media have been quick to elevate them well above their actual ability but not in this case. He is linking up with lesser players and maybe he will take a little time to adjust to the pace of our game as opposed to Everton's, but I think it's well within him. Powerful runs, eye for goal, intelligent running and passing. Defensively he is no worse than Yaya but as Everton don't utilise him for that side of his game, it's really an unknown factor. What Yaya does he does better than anyone, but he's 31 now and the sooner we start planning for the future, the easier the transition will be.

Never thought Lennon, Shaw, Sterling, Wilshire, Rodwell, Johnson or Walcott would live up to their hype and they didn't, this kid I believe will and I think we need to act now or see him at Chelsea or the filth and never get a shot at him. (Of course Maureen will ruin him by square pegging, but he still won't be a City player)
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Previous

Return to The Maine Football forum