***wba v city official match thread***

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: ***wba v city official match thread***

Postby MilnersJaw » Fri Dec 26, 2014 11:58 pm

Beefymcfc wrote:
Bridge'srightfoot wrote:
Beefymcfc wrote:
Bridge'srightfoot wrote:
MilnersJaw wrote:When will hart learn to catch the fucking ball.

Agree. What was that today? Ball was at a great height to catch and he was under no pressure at all. His decision making really is shocking at times .

Seeing as he's been pretty imperious lately I'd have thought Blues would've given him the benefit of doubt, or at least a little leeway.

Seems not.

But fix the roof when then Suns shining as they say beefy. Fortunately today it didn't cost us but what if he does the same v barca? Can't understand why he doesn't try and catch it more. He has been good form otherwise though.

Conditions mate, conditions. There was no sun shining that half.

Even if it was a hot day and a clear sky he still would have punched it. I'm positive he thinks punching the ball out makes him some kind of hero.
Still here.
MilnersJaw
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Silver

Postby Beefymcfc » Sat Dec 27, 2014 12:09 am

MilnersJaw wrote:
Beefymcfc wrote:
Bridge'srightfoot wrote:
Beefymcfc wrote:
Bridge'srightfoot wrote:Agree. What was that today? Ball was at a great height to catch and he was under no pressure at all. His decision making really is shocking at times .

Seeing as he's been pretty imperious lately I'd have thought Blues would've given him the benefit of doubt, or at least a little leeway.

Seems not.

But fix the roof when then Suns shining as they say beefy. Fortunately today it didn't cost us but what if he does the same v barca? Can't understand why he doesn't try and catch it more. He has been good form otherwise though.

Even if it was a hot day and a clear sky he still would have punched it. I'm positive he thinks punching the ball out makes him some kind of hero.

You're probably right but from what we see week-in/week-out, that is what keepers now do. None of this Clemence stuff where he knocked it in the air before catching it, it's now a punch out.

I'd prefer to look at the excellent save that he made, not the one he didn't in dodgy conditions.

Each to their own.
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Sat Dec 27, 2014 1:37 am

Beefymcfc wrote:Anybody notice that we'd past the 40 point mark today ......... with half the season still to go ;-)

What's a reasonable expectation for a final points total? We have won it with 89 and 86 so I would say a minimum of 86 this season. 40 points now so let's say 43 after Sunday at exactly half way so you could say we are on target for 86 if we are to have a chance of winning the league ahnd that's with all the games just won in a row.

long long way to go but we are playing great and have a good chance of being there or thereabouts at the end to spoil the party.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Sat Dec 27, 2014 1:40 am

Pleased with Joe again today. Some good saves and off his line quick to narrow angles and force shots to be hit wide. Yes it was a poor error to give then the goal but I don't have a problem with him going to punch that given the conditions. He just messed up by missing it. No question at all Joe has been an important part of our superb current run
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Piccsnumberoneblue » Sat Dec 27, 2014 7:11 am

Ted Hughes wrote:I thought it was offside when looking side on but was watching Joe. Would like to see it again.

Just seen it on the telly. Definitely offside
City and sniffing knickers.
Come on Blues.
Piccsnumberoneblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Supporter of: Us

Postby Beefymcfc » Sat Dec 27, 2014 8:46 am

Magic!
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby dazby » Sat Dec 27, 2014 8:55 am

Beefymcfc wrote:
MilnersJaw wrote:
Beefymcfc wrote:
Beefymcfc wrote:
Bridge'srightfoot wrote:Agree. What was that today? Ball was at a great height to catch and he was under no pressure at all. His decision making really is shocking at times .

Seems not.

You're probably right but from what we see week-in/week-out, that is what keepers now do. None of this Clemence stuff where he knocked it in the air before catching it, it's now a punch out.

I'd prefer to look at the excellent save that he made, not the one he didn't in dodgy conditions.

Each to their own.

He is clearly under instruction to punch rather than catch.
Attack the argument of the person, not the person of the argument- except Carl.
dazby
Joe Mercer's OBE

My favourite player is: Ed

Postby Beefymcfc » Sat Dec 27, 2014 8:58 am

dazby wrote:He is clearly under instruction to punch rather than catch.

I won't pretend to know anything about keeping but from what we see punching is the way they are now told to deal with these situations. Foster had just laid on a goal for Fernando due to trying to catch it and that was before those horrendous conditions.

Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby City64 » Sat Dec 27, 2014 9:23 am

Conditions in the 2nd half were a throw back to the 1960,s and 70 s , really unreal ! Massive 3 pts , sublime class football when we needed too , no injuries and 9 straight wins on the bounce ............

doesn't come any better than that does it !
Not really here

Fuck VAR
City64
Paul Power's Tash

Location: Urmston, Shevington , The Etihad , In a bar anywhere watching MCFC
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby Ted Hughes » Sat Dec 27, 2014 12:36 pm

City64 wrote:Conditions in the 2nd half were a throw back to the 1960,s and 70 s , really unreal ! Massive 3 pts , sublime class football when we needed too , no injuries and 9 straight wins on the bounce ............

Tbh, seeing how both teams (and the keeper) started to struggle to play their game as soon as the ball started to stick slightly, & struggled to turn etc, just confirmed my impression of how good people like Franny Lee, Bell etc actually were. That would have been routine for them for this time of year. Not even a slight problem.

Add a rock hard pitch with about 5000 holes, mounds & ridges in it, with the occasional swampy bit, & make tackling from behind, with undue force etc legal, then the conditions would be similar.

Those blokes really were very very very good indeed.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby blues2win » Sat Dec 27, 2014 12:43 pm

I remember City beating Spurs was it 4-1 at Maine Road. Snow all over the pitch. No problem for Franny Colin and Mike( two Mikes actually). What a fucking team although one feels it underachieved. We defended the title poorly and went out to Fenerbahce in the first round of the European Cup. We did win the FA Cup that year, however. Note correctly positioned comma.
blues2win
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: david silva

Postby Mikhail Chigorin » Sat Dec 27, 2014 12:47 pm

Ted Hughes wrote:
City64 wrote:Conditions in the 2nd half were a throw back to the 1960,s and 70 s , really unreal ! Massive 3 pts , sublime class football when we needed too , no injuries and 9 straight wins on the bounce ............

Tbh, seeing how both teams (and the keeper) started to struggle to play their game as soon as the ball started to stick slightly, & struggled to turn etc, just confirmed my impression of how good people like Franny Lee, Bell etc actually were. That would have been routine for them for this time of year. Not even a slight problem.

Add a rock hard pitch with about 5000 holes, mounds & ridges in it, with the occasional swampy bit, & make tackling from behind, with undue force etc legal, then the conditions would be similar.

Were you thinking of the Old Scumfford surface when you posted that Ted ??

Moreover, in today's world, the "Ballet on Ice" against Tottingham Hotspuds would never have been played.
Mikhail Chigorin
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

My favourite player is: Bert Trautmann

Postby City64 » Sat Dec 27, 2014 1:31 pm

Didn't they used to use orange footballs when it snowed back then ? Could hardly see the ball at times in the 2nd half yesterday .......... modern technology eh ? lol
Not really here

Fuck VAR
City64
Paul Power's Tash

Location: Urmston, Shevington , The Etihad , In a bar anywhere watching MCFC
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby Ted Hughes » Sat Dec 27, 2014 1:52 pm

Mikhail Chigorin wrote:
Ted Hughes wrote:

Were you thinking of the Old Scumfford surface when you posted that Ted ??

Moreover, in today's world, the "Ballet on Ice" against Tottingham Hotspuds would never have been played.

Both the swamp & Maine Rd used to be fucking terrible for periods of the season from what I remember. A lot of games were played on really terrible pitches, & it was normal, & Pep's Barca would not have been able to exist in this country in those conditions with tackling what it was.Players required a different kind of ability.

The Spurs 'Ballet on Ice' thing was so bad that the players were barely able to stand up & skidding all over the place, really shouldn't have been played even then, but there are moments on the video of that game, where City suddenly transcend the conditions & just run & pass as if it's a normal pitch. Not that often , but they do it every now & then. Find pace, & weight of pass etc when it seemed impossible. Remarkable really.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Ted Hughes » Sat Dec 27, 2014 2:21 pm

Excuse to post it again for old cunts.

The first save Pat Jennings makes, you can see him hobbling around after landing on the frozen mud. The ball sticking one second then bobbling around the next, it's like it's got another ball rattling around inside it, but it has no effect whatsoever on Neil Young's left foot. A still frame of that bloke striking a ball, is like a text book.

I recon the move leading up to Coleman's goal, Summerbee outside of the foot, to Lee running full tilt, would cause us big problems now, on a perfect pitch. Clichy might just get near Lee if he read it, but Kolarov would be utterly fucked.

Buzzer played a blinder.

Watch on youtube.com

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Mikhail Chigorin » Sat Dec 27, 2014 3:12 pm

Ted Hughes wrote:Excuse to post it again for old cunts.

The first save Pat Jennings makes, you can see him hobbling around after landing on the frozen mud. The ball sticking one second then bobbling around the next, it's like it's got another ball rattling around inside it, but it has no effect whatsoever on Neil Young's left foot. A still frame of that bloke striking a ball, is like a text book.

I recon the move leading up to Coleman's goal, Summerbee outside of the foot, to Lee running full tilt, would cause us big problems now, on a perfect pitch. Clichy might just get near Lee if he read it, but Kolarov would be utterly fucked.

Buzzer played a blinder.

Watch on youtube.com

Memories, memories, memories !!

"Manchester City; the most exciting team in the country today".......it just goes to show that what goes around, comes around again, latterly via 'King Kev' and now the admirable Mr. Pellegrini.

What a pleasure, also, to have a 'proper' commentator. I always liked Kenneth Wolstenhome and in the late 1950s/early to mid 1960s he was very knowledgeable about European football, apart from which, he was virtually the only commentator on games featuring foreign sides..

I still remember his commentary on a game from around 1961 or 1962 between Austria and Hungary; a sort of local derby as it were. Austria had decided not to play in the qualifiers for the 1962 World Cup in Chile, on the grounds that they did not consider themselves either good enough or worthy enough to participate in that competition (could you ever envisage such a thing happening today ??). Having made that decision, they then went on an unbeaten 20 game run to confound everyone and we, the youngsters in the football team I played in at that time, all adopted Austria as our favourite international side.

This fine run continued until they came up against Hungary and I was firmly glued to the TV set when this game was televised.

Can't remember the score after all these years, but Hungary ran out as winners and it was a really good game, with 'Ken' being in full flow at the fine football that was being played. The thing that really stuck in my mind though, were the tactics and formation changes that were being made and which he described very informatively; one of them being the way that Hungary were playing and, as they went on the attack, their defensive players retreated to the edge of their own box to avoid being caught on the break (Austria had a very fast and tricky right-winger called Raffreider), even though this left a huge 'hole' in the centre of the pitch.

Given the popularity of today's high-line, pressing game, this now seems arcane but Wolstenholme described it all perfectly, to viewers watching on a tiny, black and white screen.

Memories indeed and City are, currently, in the process of making exciting new ones.
Mikhail Chigorin
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby Ted Hughes » Sat Dec 27, 2014 3:44 pm

Tactics & fitness may have evolved & the formations become more fluid, but that team played with the same philosophy as this one & the fact that there was no genuine centre forward in that City team in that game, is quite interesting.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Mikhail Chigorin » Sat Dec 27, 2014 4:02 pm

Ted Hughes wrote:Tactics & fitness may have evolved & the formations become more fluid, but that team played with the same philosophy as this one & the fact that there was no genuine centre forward in that City team in that game, is quite interesting.

Absolutely so.

In a way, it's also reminiscent of an earlier time-frame when the 1950s Hungarian team were playing without an orthodox centre-forward in the shape of Nandor Hedegkuti. From memory, he was described at the time as a deep lying centre-forward but, in retrospect, he was more of a playmaker with no other midfield duties other than to create (as well as scoring if the opportunity arrived).

In our own 'Revie-Plan' era, I remember Don Revie being categorised (criticised ??) as "a player without a position" and although he wore the No. 9 shirt, he was neither a centre-forward, nor an out-and-out midfielder.

Don't get me started about Martin Peters..........a fancy Dan if ever there was one.
Mikhail Chigorin
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby Fidel Castro » Sat Dec 27, 2014 4:19 pm

Antoine Sibierski was a man with no position
Fidel Castro
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: City

Postby Mikhail Chigorin » Sat Dec 27, 2014 4:22 pm