***city v burnley official match thread***

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: ***city v burnley official match thread***

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Sun Dec 28, 2014 6:41 pm

Beefymcfc wrote:Can anybody tell me why Yaya was left out of the squad, why bring on a half fit Jovetic for a non-stop Milner, Lampard for a ball playing Nasri and Scott Sinclair for anything other than a joke?

Yaya allegedly has a muscle injury according to Pellers.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Euthanasia

Postby blues2win » Sun Dec 28, 2014 6:43 pm

All very well banging on about Yaya but Pellegrini said he has a slight muscle injury and may or may not play against Sunderland. This could be his last League game for a very long time. We have to be able to play properly without him. We did in the first half.
blues2win
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: david silva

Postby Beefymcfc » Sun Dec 28, 2014 6:47 pm

Foreverinbluedreams wrote:
Beefymcfc wrote:Can anybody tell me why Yaya was left out of the squad, why bring on a half fit Jovetic for a non-stop Milner, Lampard for a ball playing Nasri and Scott Sinclair for anything other than a joke?

Yaya allegedly has a muscle injury according to Pellers.

I can believe that as I'm sure he would've at least had him on the bench. However, after him saying there was no injuries after the last game, just saving for this one, I do wonder how much of an injury he's picked up. He looked fine when he came off and I'm sure he could've done 30 minutes.

Didn't the OS say that he's just being rested?
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby Beefymcfc » Sun Dec 28, 2014 6:49 pm

blues2win wrote:All very well banging on about Yaya but Pellegrini said he has a slight muscle injury and may or may not play against Sunderland. This could be his last League game for a very long time. We have to be able to play properly without him. We did in the first half.

See above. I suppose the subs helped as well.

Or maybe not.
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Nick » Sun Dec 28, 2014 6:52 pm

'squad rotation' didnt work for mancini and doesn't work for pellers when our 'backup' players don't step up and we have the likes of sagna, kolorov and scott sinclair trying to step in.
Nick
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Postby South Stand Balti » Sun Dec 28, 2014 6:58 pm

Just back from the game. Don't know whether to be disappointed at the draw or relieved we did nt lose. We missed yaya as no one else was showing for the ball all the time and pulling things together. We also seemed very open in the middle. When you don't play well you need to defend well but Kolarov was poor and Mangala's display was incredibly clumsy. Hopefully Vinnie will return soon to partner MDM.
South Stand Balti
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: Manchester City FC
My favourite player is: Yaya

Postby Beefymcfc » Sun Dec 28, 2014 6:59 pm

Nick wrote:'squad rotation' didnt work for mancini and doesn't work for pellers when our 'backup' players don't step up and we have the likes of sagna, kolorov and scott sinclair trying to step in.

A chanhe in both fullbacks, the central midfield partnership broken up without Yaya (one of most influential players), 3-4 of our main players out and questionable subs in order to keep players fresh, it's never going to be easy.

Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Beefymcfc » Sun Dec 28, 2014 7:02 pm

After Maureen's post-match rant he must have a smile a mile long by now.

Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Nick » Sun Dec 28, 2014 7:09 pm

Beefymcfc wrote:
Nick wrote:'squad rotation' didnt work for mancini and doesn't work for pellers when our 'backup' players don't step up and we have the likes of sagna, kolorov and scott sinclair trying to step in.

A chanhe in both fullbacks, the central midfield partnership broken up without Yaya (one of most influential players), 3-4 of our main players out and questionable subs in order to keep players fresh, it's never going to be easy.

but the thing is most of those points are unavoidable. I'm not sure if yaya was actually injured or was rested so didn't mention that but its clear we think about resting players and think games vs the likes of burnley are easy pickings. Fair play some players need rest; but some don't. I don't think Clichy is knackered by any stretch. I'm sure if we were playing Chelsea, Yaya would have been in the squad and started.
Nick
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Postby Herb » Sun Dec 28, 2014 7:10 pm

Another Joe Hart Brain Fart - didn't matter that much against Brum as we had 3 goals but his gift to Burnley today was enough to lift their spirits and nearly give them the game.
No offence to Joe (who I have lots of respect for) but if Hart played for the rags and we had De Gea then we'd be in top spot with a 5 point lead and the rags would be in 12th. That's the difference between a good but limited keeper (who fucks up well and truly too often) and a truly great keeper (who doesn't keep doing a 'Hart') - Joe ain't good enough for us on the form of the last 3 seasons and he isn't getting any better.
If we had De Gea and the rags had Hart, we'd be top with a 9 point lead and they'd be in 12th place - that's the difference between a 'good' keeper and a 'top class' keeper - 12 places - think about it.
Herb
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Balotelli's Fireworks Party

Supporter of: City super City
My favourite player is: NOT Howler Hart!

Postby Blue Since 76 » Sun Dec 28, 2014 7:13 pm

Shocking second half performance from every player and the manager. When even Silva can't pass to a teammate, I'm not sure what has happened.

At least Kolarov was consistent throughout...

I think that could be the game where we lose the league. Not for the two points dropped, although I think it could be that tight, but for the chance missed to put pressure on Maureen before a tricky trip to Spurs. Chelsea have had a bad month and this could have been a crucial twist, but we just gave them the initiative back and I suspect they'll now roll over Spurs and go on a length winning running again. The question is, can we?

Still, Sunderland at home on Thursday, so what could go wrong there?
Blue Since 76
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Sun Dec 28, 2014 7:20 pm

Herb wrote:Another Joe Hart Brain Fart - didn't matter that much against Brum as we had 3 goals but his gift to Burnley today was enough to lift their spirits and nearly give them the game.
No offence to Joe (who I have lots of respect for) but if Hart played for the rags and we had De Gea then we'd be in top spot with a 5 point lead and the rags would be in 12th. That's the difference between a good but limited keeper (who fucks up well and truly too often) and a truly great keeper (who doesn't keep doing a 'Hart') - Joe ain't good enough for us on the form of the last 3 seasons and he isn't getting any better.

And now we have the full house as another retard with an axe to grind blames Hart.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Euthanasia

Postby blues2win » Sun Dec 28, 2014 7:30 pm

Apparently we've now dropped in just half a season as many points at home as in the whole of last season. Obviously we're doing better away from home.
blues2win
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: david silva

Postby Nick » Sun Dec 28, 2014 7:34 pm

Our first 11 on paper - who is the weak link? Hart. Easily.

We need -

A striker (or two)

A left back to challenge Clichy

A top keeper

Succession Planning for Yaya

A right back to challenge zaba (but I'll ignore that for now as we seem to be getting away with zaba getting kicked in the head and playing every single game)
Nick
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Postby Moonchesteri » Sun Dec 28, 2014 8:29 pm

Blue Since 76 wrote:Shocking second half performance from every player and the manager. When even Silva can't pass to a teammate, I'm not sure what has happened.

I think that could be the game where we lose the league. Not for the two points dropped, although I think it could be that tight, but for the chance missed to put pressure on Maureen before a tricky trip to Spurs. Chelsea have had a bad month and this could have been a crucial twist, but we just gave them the initiative back and I suspect they'll now roll over Spurs and go on a length winning running again. The question is, can we?

just like in 11/12 when we drew 3-3 at home vs Sunderland and gave the momentum straight back to rags when we could've put on some pressure. We all know how that ended up.. oh wait!

It's a long season.
Moonchesteri
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: MCFC

Postby Beefymcfc » Sun Dec 28, 2014 9:24 pm

Nick wrote:
Beefymcfc wrote:

but the thing is most of those points are unavoidable. I'm not sure if yaya was actually injured or was rested so didn't mention that but its clear we think about resting players and think games vs the likes of burnley are easy pickings. Fair play some players need rest; but some don't. I don't think Clichy is knackered by any stretch. I'm sure if we were playing Chelsea, Yaya would have been in the squad and started.

Good points and if we were taking Burnley, or any team for that instance, seriously then we should play every game like we're playing Chelsea. In my eyes anyway.

That should've been 3 points in the bag and I'm sure everybody at the club is as pissed-off with it as we are. Luckily, no real harm done but it would've been nice to rub Maureen's nose in it for a while, keeping him in check.

Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Peter Doherty (AGAIG) » Sun Dec 28, 2014 9:46 pm

I not only think Burnley deserved their point, I think they played the best football by a visiting team this season.
Peter Doherty (AGAIG)
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Johan Cruyff

Postby Beefymcfc » Sun Dec 28, 2014 10:05 pm

I thought the only difference with the 2nd half against Burnley compared to Brom was that I couldn't see the snow.

Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Mase » Sun Dec 28, 2014 10:40 pm

Moonchesteri wrote:
Blue Since 76 wrote:Shocking second half performance from every player and the manager. When even Silva can't pass to a teammate, I'm not sure what has happened.

just like in 11/12 when we drew 3-3 at home vs Sunderland and gave the momentum straight back to rags when we could've put on some pressure. We all know how that ended up.. oh wait!

It's a long season.

I remember that game well. Kolarov saved us right at the death
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Warnock's Ref Rants
My favourite player is: Danny Tiatto

Postby Blue Since 76 » Sun Dec 28, 2014 11:36 pm

Mase wrote:
Moonchesteri wrote:

It's a long season.

I remember that game well. Kolarov saved us right at the death

Best to not remember his part in the 3 we let in, eh?
Blue Since 76
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum