*** City v Sheffield Wed - FA Cup Match Thread ***

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: *** City v Sheffield Wed - FA Cup Match Thread ***

Postby phips » Sun Jan 04, 2015 5:17 pm

thank god for the birthday boy.

i was upset that we had to bring Nasri and Silva on but 30 extra mins today is better than a 90 min replay in a congested schedule.
Silva was the key to this match.
I'm not really a City fan. I'm just here for attention.

Barclays Premier League 2011-2012 CHAMP1-6NS
Barclays Premier League 2013-2014 CHAMP156NS
Barclays Premier League 2017-2018 CHAMP100NS
Barclays Premier League 2018-2019 CHAMP14ONS
Barclays Premier League 2020-2021 CHAM21ONS
Barclays Premier League 2021-2022 CHAM93ONS
Barclays Premier League 2022-2023 CHAM3XIONS
2022-2023 Domestic & European TR3BLE WINNERS
phips
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Supporter of: Man City, Dortmund
My favourite player is: David Silva, Marco Reus

Postby Hutch's Shoulder » Sun Jan 04, 2015 5:40 pm

Skin of our teeth there. Only Milner and Navas of the starting outfield players did themselves justice. Jovetic and Yaya were a bit lost without others to feed off. Kolarov deserving of Nick's scorn today.

Into the 4th round nevertheless, as good as a 7-0 in the end.
Hutch's Shoulder
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: City of course
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby Beefymcfc » Sun Jan 04, 2015 5:42 pm

Well, that completes an hectic period of football where we played 10 games in 35 days, coing out of it unbeaten. It may not have been nice to watch sometimes but we're now unbeaten since Bonfire Night (5 Nov), a run of 13 games where we've only drawn 2.

We now go into quite a normal month with only a game per week but the games coming up may/will have an affect on our season. We're still in the shout for 3 cups and this time last season we had to play 9 games in January (W8, D1) due to our continued form in the LC as well as a replay with Blackburn in the FA Cup. No such concerns this time and after the away game to Everton & home game to Arsenal, it is Chelsea who have a bit of fixture congestion as they play their 2 legged semi against the Dippers. Those games just may take their toll as they looked leggy coming out of the festive period, only picking up 4 points from a possible 9.

And now this game is out of the way, the FA Cup shouldn't really cause us any concerns if we carry on winning as the dates of each round don't clash too much with any of the other PL or possible CL games.

It's been a good period for us and even though Yaya will be away, I'm confident, with players coming back, that we can go on and push for top honours again. Even with taking a 'Pinch'.

Come On The Blues!!!
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby freshie » Sun Jan 04, 2015 6:04 pm

When is the draw for the next round?
freshie
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby Beefymcfc » Sun Jan 04, 2015 6:10 pm

freshie wrote:When is the draw for the next round?

They've started doing them on a Monday so I'd guess it's before the games tomorrow evening.
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Herb » Sun Jan 04, 2015 6:19 pm

AG7 wrote:
Willy is in goal, Pellegrini said earlier in the season that he likes to give a few games back to back to his goal keepers and that's why Willy got a few around the capital one cup games and again on New Years Pellegrini reiterated that because of busy schedule he thought he'd give Willy Sunderland game and then the FA cup game together before Hart comes back in at Everton.

There should be a 4th round FA Cup tie in between Arsenal home and Chelsea away, would be interesting to see if Pellegrini sticks to his back-to-back games for Willy then or just picks him for the one off FA 4th round game (also depending on who we draw, as a big PL team away might see Hart keeping intact).

Caballero was good today, catching the ball with 2 hands rather than show-boating Hart-style by punching it anywhere. His distribution was good too - at a level that sloppy joe could only dream about - he started a number of attacks from the box and by putting the ball to players on the halfway line and he should keep the shirt in the opinion all all those around me at the match (the regular Hart fanatic who sits in front didn't turn up today).
If we had De Gea and the rags had Hart, we'd be top with a 9 point lead and they'd be in 12th place - that's the difference between a 'good' keeper and a 'top class' keeper - 12 places - think about it.
Herb
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Balotelli's Fireworks Party

Supporter of: City super City
My favourite player is: NOT Howler Hart!

Postby DoomMerchant » Sun Jan 04, 2015 6:25 pm

mr_nool wrote:Where's Carl?

Waxing his corvette.

Cheers
viVa el ciTy!

"All things considered, there's absolutely no escape from this hellish situation. I'm prepared to take the coward's way out if you are. It's reincarnation or nothing." -- Gideon Stargrave

DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: MCFC. OK.
My favourite player is: The Game

Postby blues2win » Sun Jan 04, 2015 6:41 pm

Willy's distribution was miles better than Joe's usually is. Still Pellegrini says Hart will be back for Everton. Trip to Abu Dhabi on 19/1 looks certain now with friendly against Hamburg on 21/1.
blues2win
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: david silva

Postby Ted Hughes » Sun Jan 04, 2015 6:45 pm

blues2win wrote:Willy's distribution was miles better than Joe's usually is. Still Pellegrini says Hart will be back for Everton. Trip to Abu Dhabi on 19/1 looks certain now with friendly against Hamburg on 21/1.

Hopefully they take a few of the kids so the folks in Abu Dhabi don't have to watch a bunch of uninspired old pros, like we did today.

I'm going to fuck the domestic cup games off along with the Champs league if we don't start introducing some young players. Got it totally wrong today.
No spark. Cold. Waste of an afternoon.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby South Stand Balti » Sun Jan 04, 2015 6:46 pm

Very pleased with the win today and it was great to have a bit of atmosphere and banter with the Wednesday fans. We were nt great but our quality found us a way through. In the end we were PDC to their BDO.
South Stand Balti
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: Manchester City FC
My favourite player is: Yaya

Postby blues2win » Sun Jan 04, 2015 6:56 pm

I really think Brandon Barker and Ambrose could have been given at least a half. Pellegrini is just rotating EDS members onto the bench but on the face of it has no intention of actually playing them. Of course if he does give these guys a chance fans need to be patient with them if it doesn't work. They wouldn't of course.

Surely the Hamburg match is a chance to give some of the kids a chance. I wonder what sort of team Hamburg will put out.
blues2win
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: david silva

Postby twosips » Sun Jan 04, 2015 6:57 pm

Awful game of football and that XI made the idea of 'playing a strong team to get through, no time for kids' out to be what it is. Utter bullshit.

No energy, no life and a bunch of reserves going through the mentions. Nowt to be excited about. What's the point in having an incredibly good youth team if we don't give the ones most deserving a chance? It's not as if they're all 16. Barker et all are 18 approaching 19, some 19 approaching 20. Too much talent there to ignore and who knows, maybe having a kid in the team would actually add a bit of excitement and drive to all involved - the older pros, the crowd. Wasted opportunity and i'm 99% certain that that team today would have done no better than one with a couple of kids given a chance. We might have actually learned something then too.
twosips
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: mcfc

Postby Ted Hughes » Sun Jan 04, 2015 7:03 pm

twosips wrote:Awful game of football and that XI made the idea of 'playing a strong team to get through, no time for kids' out to be what it is. Utter bullshit.

No energy, no life and a bunch of reserves going through the mentions. Nowt to be excited about. What's the point in having an incredibly good youth team if we don't give the ones most deserving a chance? It's not as if they're all 16. Barker et all are 18 approaching 19, some 19 approaching 20. Too much talent there to ignore and who knows, maybe having a kid in the team would actually add a bit of excitement and drive to all involved - the older pros, the crowd.

Jeremy Helan played for them. He wouldn't get in our EDS team, but we can't risk one of them vs Wednesday ?

What use was starting Frank ? Just showed that he's old & needs City's proper team to bring the best out of him. The 11 we put out today was like watching England with Yaya Toure in it.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby twosips » Sun Jan 04, 2015 7:06 pm

Exactly. Every single player in our youth team is a better footballer than Helan. Helan's a runner and that's it. Celina would probably have done a better job than Lampard today, actually. He's got a bit of arrogance to his game so it'd have been interesting to see.
twosips
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby Peter Doherty (AGAIG) » Sun Jan 04, 2015 7:07 pm

Beefymcfc wrote:
CTID Hants wrote:@MCFC: SUBS NEWS @MCFC: Hart, Demichelis, Clichy, Nasri, Fernandinho, Celina, Silva #cityvswfc #mcfc

Clichy, Nasri & Silva for me.

Get you!
Peter Doherty (AGAIG)
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

My favourite player is: Johan Cruyff

Postby Beefymcfc » Sun Jan 04, 2015 7:09 pm

Peter Doherty (AGAIG) wrote:
Beefymcfc wrote:
CTID Hants wrote:@MCFC: SUBS NEWS @MCFC: Hart, Demichelis, Clichy, Nasri, Fernandinho, Celina, Silva #cityvswfc #mcfc

Clichy, Nasri & Silva for me.

Get you!

Just goes to show that Pellers doesn't need the app for his android ;-)

Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Sideshow Bob » Sun Jan 04, 2015 7:20 pm

Just wanted to mention that Willy's distribution was excellent. Refreshing to see.
Sideshow Bob
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

My favourite player is: Jonny Evans

Postby Ted Hughes » Sun Jan 04, 2015 7:25 pm

twosips wrote:Exactly. Every single player in our youth team is a better footballer than Helan. Helan's a runner and that's it. Celina would probably have done a better job than Lampard today, actually. He's got a bit of arrogance to his game so it'd have been interesting to see.

Could have started Barker & maybe even Celina or Ambrose, then changed one or both later if it didn't work, meaning we have a full set of quality subs to go at when Wed get tired later.

Edit: then again if Barker had played in front of Kolarov, it might have ruined him.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby twosips » Sun Jan 04, 2015 8:07 pm

Just gutted now that we probably won't see any kids get a chance this year now. We won't get an easier draw than Wednesday at home i'd presume and they defo won't get a chance in the league or CL.
twosips
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby Blue Since 76 » Sun Jan 04, 2015 8:45 pm

twosips wrote:Just gutted now that we probably won't see any kids get a chance this year now. We won't get an easier draw than Wednesday at home i'd presume and they defo won't get a chance in the league or CL.

We might play a few away to Barca providing we're far enough in front after the home game...
Blue Since 76
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum