Milner

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Milner

Postby blues2win » Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:44 pm

Couple of stories about James in tomorrow's papers. The Mail say City are confident Milner will sign a new contract. By contrast, and worryingly, the Times says Milner has told team mates he sees little chance of staying with City taking the view that it's take or leave it on the latest contract offer.
blues2win
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: david silva

Re: Milner

Postby Wooders » Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:51 pm

He'll be going I reckon
Citys new Motto "To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women"
Wooders
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Yaya's Wembley Winning Strikes

Supporter of: City

Postby Nigels Tackle » Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:53 pm

where's he going to go if he leaves us?
dippers was the obvious choice 6 months ago but not now
my money says he's seen the light and will be staying
ARMCHAIR FAN
Nigels Tackle
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Alan Oakes' 668 Games

Supporter of: man love
My favourite player is: riyad meh!rez

Postby Moonchesteri » Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:53 pm

Wooders wrote:He'll be going I reckon

Unfortunately I also think that's the case. Should be sorted already if he was to stay
Moonchesteri
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: MCFC

Postby Moonchesteri » Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:54 pm

Nigels Tackle wrote:where's he going to go if he leaves us?
dippers was the obvious choice 6 months ago but not now
my money says he's seen the light and will be staying

I still think he'll go to dippers. Why would anyone do that I have no idea, just a feeling he thinks he'll see more action there. And not just cos Balo is there
Moonchesteri
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Supporter of: MCFC

Postby carolina-blue » Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:00 pm

Can't see him at Dippers Chavs wouldnt want him .Spuds would but fuck great carreer move there Arse would be an option Fourth place champions league every year . The Rags would have him but he wouldnt would he .... Come on jimbo you know it makes sense Get signing
carolina-blue
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Postby shortagain » Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:07 pm

If he wants to go let him. He needs us more than we need him if we're talking about silverware. I'd sell him at end of January if he doesn't sign by then
shortagain
Darius Vassell's Composure

Supporter of: Man City
My favourite player is: Pablo Zabaleta

Postby Goaters 103 » Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:14 pm

He's likely a goner.

Silverware wise he has every domestic winners medal - the whole set - so likely just wants to play every week. For Liverpool he would, for us he simply wont. He also rarely gets to play in central midfield which is where he prefers - for Liverpool he would, for us he wont.

Im a Milner fan but *if* we have supposedly offered him £115k a week on a 4 and a half year deal, that's 1 year and £35k too much anyway.

In addition *if* he has been offered that deal and hasnt snapped our hands off at it, then we already have our answer and the club will know this. Great clubman, top teammate and will be missed but he will be 30 next January and is replaceable too.Given the amount of times he's been overlooked on the teamsheet at City for inferior players - noticeably Javi Garcia last season - Im not the least bit surprised if/when he chooses to move on.

Milner and Lampards departures this summer surely also make a move by us for Barkley even more likely, given our lack of English players.
Goaters 103
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby PeterParker » Thu Jan 08, 2015 12:07 am

I really don't understand him, he played almost 120 games for us in 4 years, in a simple math, that means almost 30 games per season from 38 games in the league.

Dave has 148. If that is not regular football time, i don't know what is, really now. Hope he will stay, we really need him.
PeterParker
Roberto Mancini's Scarf

Supporter of: The Blue Moon blues
My favourite player is: King Mike

Postby littlebig » Thu Jan 08, 2015 12:19 am

He's getting lots of game time this season, he seems also to have gained MP's trust and so should feature more in future. Don't really understand why he won't sign then.

It could be that he's holding out for more dosh as this is probably his last chance of a big contract but I can't see him getting more anywhere else.

I'd be pretty disappointed if he goes as he's an excellent squad member. When he initially signed I was doing cartwheels as I knew what he'd bring to the squad and nothing has changed in that regard.

Get it done James Milner, the fans hold you in high regard here and there's good times ahead for our club.
littlebig
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: Man City
My favourite player is: Vinnie Kompany

Postby DoomMerchant » Thu Jan 08, 2015 2:03 am

PeterParker wrote:I really don't understand him, he played almost 120 games for us in 4 years, in a simple math, that means almost 30 games per season from 38 games in the league.

Dave has 148. If that is not regular football time, i don't know what is, really now. Hope he will stay, we really need him.

Many of those were sub appearances and I don't think you are using a number that is only prem matches, are you?

I thought he would have signed by now. If he doesn't sign we can't sell him as others have suggested. He can walk for free and perhaps command a ridiculous salary because he has no transfer fee.

I like him. I don't love him. If he decides to leave then thanks for the effort bro. Good luck.
viVa el ciTy!

"All things considered, there's absolutely no escape from this hellish situation. I'm prepared to take the coward's way out if you are. It's reincarnation or nothing." -- Gideon Stargrave

DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: MCFC. OK.
My favourite player is: The Game

Postby sheblue » Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:48 am

Any move to another prem side is a step down. He may go abroad, but that's unlikely. I would say he is holding out for more money, which of course is what most would do.
sheblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Supporter of: city
My favourite player is: silva

Postby Mikhail Chigorin » Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:10 am

Wasn't Milner unusual in that, at one stage, he didn't have an agent and did all the negotiating himself ??

Can anyone confirm this and, if so, does he have an agent now ??
Mikhail Chigorin
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Bert Trautmann

Postby Piccsnumberoneblue » Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:12 am

I've thought for a while he isn't gonna sign or he would he have done so already.
It isn't about game time either. He has had plenty.
I think we can still sell him but he could also sign a pre contract agreement elsewhere and leave for nothing in the summer.
City and sniffing knickers.
Come on Blues.
Piccsnumberoneblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Supporter of: Us

Postby PeterParker » Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:40 am

DoomMerchant wrote:
PeterParker wrote:I really don't understand him, he played almost 120 games for us in 4 years, in a simple math, that means almost 30 games per season from 38 games in the league.

Many of those were sub appearances and I don't think you are using a number that is only prem matches, are you?

I thought he would have signed by now. If he doesn't sign we can't sell him as others have suggested. He can walk for free and perhaps command a ridiculous salary because he has no transfer fee.

I like him. I don't love him. If he decides to leave then thanks for the effort bro. Good luck.

No, that is overall, not just the PM. It has the Chums League, Cups, etc, but the same goes with Silva too. 120 vs 148.
PeterParker
Roberto Mancini's Scarf

Supporter of: The Blue Moon blues
My favourite player is: King Mike

Postby Im_Spartacus » Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:48 am

I'd be gutted to see him go, as he is a fantastic player and has been a great servant.

However on consideration of wider strategy, we have to realise that we have a big problem looming in midfield in the years ahead if we don't manage things carefully.

The current midfielders by the end of this season:

Silva - 29
Toure - 32
Navas - 29
Milner - 29
Fernandinho - 30
Nasri - 28
Fernando - 28

The reality is that we need to start rotating the older ones out of the squad in order to not face a situation where we are replacing several key first team players at once in a couple of years' time.

It wouldn't surprise me if we saw Milner, Toure and Navas leave this summer to make way for fresh, younger blood. The disruption would be minimal with Milner and Navas not necessarily key players, whilst Toure will surely be on the move soon.
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Breasts

Postby DoomMerchant » Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:01 am

PeterParker wrote:
DoomMerchant wrote:

No, that is overall, not just the PM. It has the Chums League, Cups, etc, but the same goes with Silva too. 120 vs 148.

Silva tho is kicked to death and misses a fair amount due to injury. Whereas James is rarely unfit.

I'm belaboring your point tho...which is valid. He's seen plenty of match time.

Cheers
viVa el ciTy!

"All things considered, there's absolutely no escape from this hellish situation. I'm prepared to take the coward's way out if you are. It's reincarnation or nothing." -- Gideon Stargrave

DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: MCFC. OK.
My favourite player is: The Game

Postby Ted Hughes » Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:05 am

If we need all the midfielders to be under 30, then we have a problem, but we don't, so it gives us literally years to sort it out. We have probably 4 years before we have to worry about Nasri & Fernando, 3 years with Silva & Navas, 2 years with Fernandinho.

We can carry a couple of 'old' players 33/34, a couple of 'oldish' players 31/32 provided we have a few young ones come in, some of which could already be at the club, (if we ever give them any game time to find out).

Milner is one I would be most concerned about if he stays tbh, along with Navas, as both rely on fitness for 80% of their effectiveness.

Silva could play til he's 36 but Milner will be very Scotty Parker by that age I should imagine, & Navas without pace would be Trevor Sinclair. Fernandinho also may only have a couple of seasons.

It could be that the contract offered to Milner, reflects his likely future value, rather than his current value, so he's keeping his options open, long as possible.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby Im_Spartacus » Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:07 am

DoomMerchant wrote:
PeterParker wrote:
DoomMerchant wrote:

Silva tho is kicked to death and misses a fair amount due to injury. Whereas James is rarely unfit.

I'm belaboring your point tho...which is valid. He's seen plenty of match time.

Cheers

We've played probably 200 games in that time in all competitions possibly over 220 so he has probably featured in less than 60% which is a criminal underuse of a player who could really player every week on merit. However it would be unfair to compare his ratio of games under Mancini, to the trust he now seems to be enjoying under Pellegrini thus season.
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Breasts

Postby blues2win » Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:42 am

The Times could be reflecting hard negotiating in the end game or a clear sign that Milner is headed for the dippers. It's hard to know at this stage. What is clear is that Soriano is getting a firm grip on the wage bill and he won't make Milner an exception.James probably wants another four year deal taking him to 33 on the same or better terms and the Club are baulking. Like most people on this site I hope he stays. Doomie makes an important point that he has an excellent injury record and you know what you're going to get; a fully committed performance every game. In addition he is versatile which is of great benefit to the Club.
blues2win
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: david silva

Next

Return to The Maine Football forum