Milner

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Milner

Postby PrezIke » Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:40 pm

more reason to wonder if we will feel pressure to splash a lot of cash on barkley...and the toffees will know this.
PrezIke
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: KDBeezy

Postby getdressedmctavish » Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:19 pm

Just a thought. We all express strong views about players, which is what makes the site entertaining. But if you enjoy watching matches, assessing tactics and players, get hold of a copy of the Nowhere Men by Michael Calvin, who followed footy scouts around the leagues for a year or so. Its a great read and makes you realise we all know jack shit. If we did we could be earning 40p a mile expenses and eating curly spam sandwiches, before sitting down at midnight to put in a game assessment and player report for a championship club. Thoroughly enjoyed it and made me a bit more wary of dismissing the great depth of knowledge of those in the game. £250 for a scouted player who signs a pro contract. I get that for drafting a two page letter. Funny old world.
getdressedmctavish
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Richard Dunne's Own Goals

Postby Ted Hughes » Wed Jan 28, 2015 2:03 am

Must be a very difficult job to successfully scout players at that level.

Most of them just look like different kinds of shit to me.

I recon most of the scouts have just been picking the biggest, or strongest, or fastest, or hardest working ones for the past 40 years, but now suddenly more people are starting to want footballers, it must be really difficult.

How do you distinguish the difference between one so so footballer & another ?
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby Hazy2 » Wed Jan 28, 2015 6:53 am

Milner has it as good as it gets at City, if he has to think about it, sorry that is just wrong.
Hazy2
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Silva

Postby Ted Hughes » Wed Jan 28, 2015 11:54 am

Hazy2 wrote:Milner has it as good as it gets at City, if he has to think about it, sorry that is just wrong.

He has won two titles, is a 'utility' player & is probably being offered less wages over the course of the deal than he's been on, due to his age, bonus schemes etc.

I would look around at what's on offer.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Im_Spartacus » Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:02 pm

Ted Hughes wrote:
Hazy2 wrote:Milner has it as good as it gets at City, if he has to think about it, sorry that is just wrong.

He has won two titles, is a 'utility' player & is probably being offered less wages over the course of the deal than he's been on, due to his age, bonus schemes etc.

It's not just that he's won two titles, he's won everything there is to win in the domestic game with us, so there's nothing left to stick around for if you don't believe we will win the champions league in the next few years. If he wants to be first choice somewhere else at a slightly lower level, fair play to him, I'd have a look too.
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Breasts

Postby twosips » Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:08 pm

The one presumption people make when assessing players like Milner is that they're ten a penny.

They're not. Milners' work rate isn't the norm.

We seem to presume that the English game is just full of runners who will press the whole game but it isn't, most do a bit of running but are mainly lazy half-arsed solo artists. Milner's attitude is above and beyond what you get from 99% of players and when you combine that with the fact that he is actually technically decent it means you get someone that will actually prove hard to replace. It's a skill to be as hard-working as he is cos most just simply are not.
Last edited by twosips on Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
twosips
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: mcfc

Postby Ted Hughes » Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:08 pm

Im_Spartacus wrote:
Ted Hughes wrote:

It's not just that he's won two titles, he's won everything there is to win in the domestic game with us, so there's nothing left to stick around for if you don't believe we will win the champions league in the next few years. If he wants to be first choice somewhere else at a slightly lower level, fair play to him, I'd have a look too.

He is a free agent, so he can make a fucking fortune by moving. He has to weigh that up against staying at City & perhaps not playing so often, cetainly as he gets older, plus probably a reducing wage.

He may get more titles but much less money at City & his role will decrease as he gets older, perhaps to almost nothing. That's well worth thinking about even if you're the world's biggest City fan.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Wonderwall » Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:26 pm

Im_Spartacus wrote:It's not just that he's won two titles, he's won everything there is to win in the domestic game with us, so there's nothing left to stick around for

So why did Aguero, Kompany, Silva, Hart, Nasri etc all sign new contracts? They all fit into the above criteria.
Wonderwall

Supporter of: Gods own team

Postby aaron bond » Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:28 pm

Wonderwall wrote:
Im_Spartacus wrote:It's not just that he's won two titles, he's won everything there is to win in the domestic game with us, so there's nothing left to stick around for

So why did Aguero, Kompany, Silva, Hart, Nasri etc all sign new contracts? They all fit into the above criteria.

They're all guaranteed to start if fit.
aaron bond
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: City

Postby Ted Hughes » Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:30 pm

aaron bond wrote:
Wonderwall wrote:

They're all guaranteed to start if fit.

All on more money & not out of contract.

And Milner may sign too.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Im_Spartacus » Wed Jan 28, 2015 5:16 pm

Wonderwall wrote:

Because they are all automatic picks for their positions when fit and can expect to play most games over the next few years.

Milner is already a bit part player, used all over the pitch, who has a chance to move clubs and hold a cm berth down for the next couple of years and make a shed load of money in the process.

As good as he's been for us, he must be wondering what he can do with an extended run in his favoured position, not being shoehorned around 3 or 4 other players as an afterthought
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Breasts

Postby Hazy2 » Wed Jan 28, 2015 5:24 pm

Get a fee in and have done with it, top lad good luck.
Hazy2
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby Ted Hughes » Wed Jan 28, 2015 6:34 pm

Hazy2 wrote:Get a fee in and have done with it, top lad good luck.

And be a player short for the rest of the season ?

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Hazy2 » Wed Jan 28, 2015 6:58 pm

Ted Hughes wrote:

I stand by that Ted, no sign get the fee in and move on, modern football.
Hazy2
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby Ted Hughes » Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:14 pm

Hazy2 wrote:
Ted Hughes wrote:

Would be really really stupid imo & I recon the club will feel the same. No chance whatsoever of it happening unless another English player was replacing him.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Hazy2 » Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:26 pm

Ted Hughes wrote:
Hazy2 wrote:
Ted Hughes wrote:

Would be really really stupid imo & I recon the club will feel the same. No chance whatsoever of it happening unless another English player was replacing him.

Not sure how the club feel, the word was in a few days, or have I made that up. Either way for me our season cannot be boiling down to one utility player who is moving to Liverpool for nowt, if he does not re- sign, nice if he did at least we could get a fee, piss poor it has got to this tbh, make it known he is available and we might get 7 of the arse or the dippers.
Hazy2
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby Ted Hughes » Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:29 pm

This is just nonsense. 7 mil to be a player short. We would pay 5 times that to avoid it. This is not going to happen.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Hazy2 » Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:57 pm

Ted Hughes wrote:This is just nonsense. 7 mil to be a player short. We would pay 5 times that to avoid it. This is not going to happen.

This is a value to City not Milner, our offer would have been fair. He has not signed it, how short will we be, players coming back he will be used as a utility player, not centre mid, which is where he will want a berth, why give him away, I know we are chucking cups away.
Hazy2
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby Ted Hughes » Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:03 pm

Hazy2 wrote:
Ted Hughes wrote:This is just nonsense. 7 mil to be a player short. We would pay 5 times that to avoid it. This is not going to happen.

This is a value to City not Milner, our offer would have been fair. He has not signed it, how short will we be, players coming back he will be used as a utility player, not centre mid, which is where he will want a berth, why give him away, I know we are chucking cups away.

How the fuck do we know he's not going to have to do exactly what he's had to do in the last couple of months. Have I been fucking imagining 45k people singing 'one James Milner' when we caught Chelsea a couple of weeks ago ? Talk about short memory.

There is no fucking chance in hell we are selling Milner now, especially as the cunt would be playing against us. If he leaves at all, it will be in the summer.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum