Milner

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Milner

Postby nottsblue » Tue Jan 05, 2016 2:27 pm

I miss him. He would have done a good solid job again this season whilst allowing better rotation
nottsblue
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby South Stand Balti » Tue Jan 05, 2016 8:11 pm

A pro Liverpool journo was on the radio recently. He noted that Milner received an £8m signing on fee and was Liverpool's highest paid player. The point he was making was that the dippers had not been very smart during Bodgers time in charge in the transfer market including spending £300m on new players. I do think he was solid for us and would have been useful this season. But his contract was up and given he is 30 and lacks quality (not industry) then we were right not to offer further huge wages and a 5 year deal. I'm sure he does want to play footie but, like all players/agents, he followed the cash too
South Stand Balti
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: Manchester City FC
My favourite player is: Yaya

Postby Sister of fu » Tue Jan 05, 2016 8:47 pm

South Stand Balti wrote:A pro Liverpool journo was on the radio recently. He noted that Milner received an £8m signing on fee and was Liverpool's highest paid player. The point he was making was that the dippers had not been very smart during Bodgers time in charge in the transfer market including spending £300m on new players. I do think he was solid for us and would have been useful this season. But his contract was up and given he is 30 and lacks quality (not industry) then we were right not to offer further huge wages and a 5 year deal. I'm sure he does want to play footie but, like all players/agents, he followed the cash too

Yeah it's a short career as a footballer so you make all the money you can while you can. I don't get why folk got so hung up on this, anyone and I mean anyone would do the same given their position. If I could get a 5 year contract at £100,000 a week at his level, I'd snap their hands off...
Sister of fu
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Uwe Rosler

Postby john@staustell » Wed Jan 06, 2016 1:30 pm

nottsblue wrote:I miss him. He would have done a good solid job again this season whilst allowing better rotation

I'm not sure mate. With us being less fluent he may actually have looked a lot worse.

He made his move for money, so what great. So would I.

But he's no longer a City player so bollocks to him.
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: City

Postby nottsblue » Wed Jan 06, 2016 1:41 pm

john@staustell wrote:
nottsblue wrote:I miss him. He would have done a good solid job again this season whilst allowing better rotation

I'm not sure mate. With us being less fluent he may actually have looked a lot worse.

He made his move for money, so what great. So would I.

But he's no longer a City player so bollocks to him.

Not suggesting we should have given him a new contract. Take the contract and money out of the equation and have a simple question of would our squad have been better with a grafter who is rarely injured and can play in multiple roles which would have allowed other players to be rotated better. This is an ideal world situation I grant you and the position we were in was different. He wanted to move and he got his payday thus rendering my scenario obsolete.

I actually Navas is the closest we have in our current set up. Again, rarely injured and works as hard as anyone and though he isn't as versatile as Milner he wouldn't be the worst shout for emergency fullback. Solid if unspectacular.
nottsblue
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby Hazy2 » Wed Jan 06, 2016 2:00 pm

Sister of fu wrote:
South Stand Balti wrote:A pro Liverpool journo was on the radio recently. He noted that Milner received an £8m signing on fee and was Liverpool's highest paid player. The point he was making was that the dippers had not been very smart during Bodgers time in charge in the transfer market including spending £300m on new players. I do think he was solid for us and would have been useful this season. But his contract was up and given he is 30 and lacks quality (not industry) then we were right not to offer further huge wages and a 5 year deal. I'm sure he does want to play footie but, like all players/agents, he followed the cash too

Yeah it's a short career as a footballer so you make all the money you can while you can. I don't get why folk got so hung up on this, anyone and I mean anyone would do the same given their position. If I could get a 5 year contract at £100,000 a week at his level, I'd snap their hands off...

I think it is the Rodgers B.S which had the likes of me Hung up, Milner stepped down when he joined them.
Hazy2
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Silva

Postby DoomMerchant » Wed Jan 06, 2016 2:04 pm

Hazy2 wrote:
Sister of fu wrote:

I think it is the Rodgers B.S which had the likes of me Hung up, Milner stepped down when he joined them.

Hazy in a "what in the actual fuck did you just say" shocker.

I need a Google translate version that does "Hazy."

cheers
viVa el ciTy!

"All things considered, there's absolutely no escape from this hellish situation. I'm prepared to take the coward's way out if you are. It's reincarnation or nothing." -- Gideon Stargrave

DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: MCFC. OK.
My favourite player is: The Game

Postby Hazy2 » Wed Jan 06, 2016 2:27 pm

DoomMerchant wrote:
Hazy2 wrote:
Sister of fu wrote:

Hazy in a "what in the actual fuck did you just say" shocker.

I need a Google translate version that does "Hazy."

cheers

Happy New Year mate, what I thought I said, was Milner stepped down when he joined the scousers and left us,he bought the Rodgers bullshit.
Hazy2
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby Tokyo Blue » Wed Jan 06, 2016 2:46 pm

Sister of fu wrote:

Our position is not Milner's position, though, is it?

He had just finished a five-year contract at City on 60k a week and he wasn't exactly on minimum wage at Leeds, Newcastle or Villa either. And then there were the signing-on fees he got from those moves.

At what point does a person stop thinking about money as the prime motivating factor?

If he had said "If I go to liverpool, I'll be an England regular because woy won't pick me while I'm at City", he'd have caused an outcry but he'd have been right. Looking at him (and lallana for crying out loud) that is precisely what has happened.
Your right leg I like; I've got nothing against your right leg. The trouble is neither have you.
Tokyo Blue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Postby iwasthere2012 » Wed Jan 06, 2016 2:56 pm

Tokyo Blue wrote:
Sister of fu wrote:

Our position is not Milner's position, though, is it?

He had just finished a five-year contract at City on 60k a week and he wasn't exactly on minimum wage at Leeds, Newcastle or Villa either. And then there were the signing-on fees he got from those moves.

At what point does a person stop thinking about money as the prime motivating factor?

If he had said "If I go to liverpool, I'll be an England regular because woy won't pick me while I'm at City", he'd have caused an outcry but he'd have been right. Looking at him (and lallana for crying out loud) that is precisely what has happened.

I'm sure all of that is part of the decision he made Tokyo, but I still don't know why people are too hung up on it.
He said very little really in the time people are complaining about, i.e. him stringing us along with no intention of signing a new contract.????
Certainly we've had a lot more hassle with other members of the playing a staff when it came to them renegotiating contracts.

I just think it sounds very bitter on the part of some of our fans, regarding Milner and feel a lot of it has to do with the fact they need an excuse to dislike a Liverpool player. It makes it so much easier.
iwasthere2012
Denis Law's Backheel

My favourite player is: David Silva (was PabZab)

Postby Mase » Wed Jan 06, 2016 8:35 pm

Since he's left hasn't he had a few sly digs? That's what I don't like. We treated him very well and the Chairman had wonderful things to say about him when he left. But for some reason he's felt the need to have little digs. That doesn't sit right with me.
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Warnock's Ref Rants
My favourite player is: Danny Tiatto

Postby freshie » Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:39 pm

Mase wrote:Since he's left hasn't he had a few sly digs? That's what I don't like. We treated him very well and the Chairman had wonderful things to say about him when he left. But for some reason he's felt the need to have little digs. That doesn't sit right with me.

That's what's pissed me off too. Wish he could have kept his mouth shut like Barry did and I'd wish him more goodwill
freshie
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby edgeley blue » Thu Jan 07, 2016 1:00 am

freshie wrote:
Mase wrote:Since he's left hasn't he had a few sly digs? That's what I don't like. We treated him very well and the Chairman had wonderful things to say about him when he left. But for some reason he's felt the need to have little digs. That doesn't sit right with me.

That's what's pissed me off too. Wish he could have kept his mouth shut like Barry did and I'd wish him more goodwill

Didn't think that he has had sly digs at us, in fact the bits I've seen have been complimentary. I know he has said "Liverpool are a club with great history" and "dream to play for Liverpool" blah blah blah. He has to say that shit because if he doesn't he knows he'll probably have a scouse fatwa put on his head.
edgeley blue
Horlock's Aggressive Walk

My favourite player is: Mike Doyle

Postby Mase » Thu Jan 07, 2016 7:56 am

edgeley blue wrote:
freshie wrote:

Didn't think that he has had sly digs at us, in fact the bits I've seen have been complimentary. I know he has said "Liverpool are a club with great history" and "dream to play for Liverpool" blah blah blah. He has to say that shit because if he doesn't he knows he'll probably have a scouse fatwa put on his head.

But like has been mentioned about; Barry left to join a scouse team and has kept his mouth shut. Lescott has left and kept his mouth shut. Milner's problem is he thinks he's a better footballer than he is, hence him trying to hold us over a barrel saying he wants to play more central.
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby 30yeargloryhunter » Thu Jan 07, 2016 8:03 am

Not a great player but we could really do with his work rate in the middle of the pitch for us. After seeing yaya amble around last night I'm sure he would have done a better job
30yeargloryhunter
Robinho's Step Over

My favourite player is: silva

Postby Plain Speaking » Thu Jun 02, 2016 10:42 am

Astonished to read some UEFA player ranking analysis reported on the BBC, that identified Milner as the fifth best player at the Euros, based upon form since January 1st.
http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36420669
Plain Speaking
Richard Dunne's Own Goals

Supporter of: Man City

Postby Dameerto » Thu Jun 02, 2016 4:11 pm

Plain Speaking wrote:Astonished to read some UEFA player ranking analysis reported on the BBC, that identified Milner as the fifth best player at the Euros, based upon form since January 1st.

I read that the other day. I'm not sure what metrics their system uses but it would appear that ground covered per game has to feature in there somewhere (since he usually tops that particular stat).
VIVA EL CITIES

"The adjudicatory chamber of the Ethics Committee ... has banned Mr Joseph S. Blatter ... for eight years and Mr Michel Platini ... for eight years from all football-related activities (administrative, sports or any other) on a national and international level. The bans come into force immediately." - 21/12/2015
Dameerto
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: El City
My favourite player is: Sergio Forwardo

Postby dick dastardley » Thu Jun 02, 2016 4:32 pm

Milner lost all respect from me with that bullshit celebration against us last season, he's a workhorse plain and simple with minimal skill. He did a job when he was with us, but he's at the right club, a bunch of scumbags from top to bottom.
Support the badge, players come and go along with managers!!!
dick dastardley
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby Wooders » Thu Jun 02, 2016 4:54 pm

He's fucking shit and a cunt to boot
Citys new Motto "To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women"
Wooders
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Yaya's Wembley Winning Strikes

Supporter of: City

Postby Mase » Thu Jun 02, 2016 4:56 pm

Dameerto wrote:
Plain Speaking wrote:Astonished to read some UEFA player ranking analysis reported on the BBC, that identified Milner as the fifth best player at the Euros, based upon form since January 1st.

I read that the other day. I'm not sure what metrics their system uses but it would appear that ground covered per game has to feature in there somewhere (since he usually tops that particular stat).

I think you get extra points if your head is bigger than your body as well.
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum