Messi Rumours .......

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Messi Rumours .......

Postby City64 » Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:29 pm

Not really here

Fuck VAR
City64
Paul Power's Tash

Location: Urmston, Shevington , The Etihad , In a bar anywhere watching MCFC
Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva

Re: Messi Rumours .......

Postby Feed The Goat » Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:52 pm

Unless FFP gets scrapped can't see anyone signing him
Mcf.net best app in the land and all the world
Feed The Goat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
De Jong's Tackle

Postby City64 » Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:02 pm

Feed The Goat wrote:Unless FFP gets scrapped can't see anyone signing him

Chelski prepared to unlock the $300 million release clause with 6 year deal ?

That is the end of FFP surely ?
Not really here

Fuck VAR
City64
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Blue Since 76 » Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:12 pm

He's one of two players in the world that a club could pay the £200m or so needed and probably make it work with FFP due to shirt sales, increased ticket sales and corporate etc.

Big gamble if it turns out he's no good against Stoke on a wet November evening though.
Blue Since 76
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby zuricity » Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:23 pm

Blue Since 76 wrote:He's one of two players in the world that a club could pay the £200m or so needed and probably make it work with FFP due to shirt sales, increased ticket sales and corporate etc.

Big gamble if it turns out he's no good against Stoke on a wet November evening though.

yep wednesdays evenings he plays Bingo down at the pally.
"Well I'll go to the foot of our stairs."
zuricity
Joe Corrigan's Gloves

Postby nottsblue » Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:25 pm

Difficult one this in some respects. Lets get one thing straight. He is very unlikely to leave Barca any time soon.

But, if (and it is a big if) he does decide to leave Barca, can we afford not to buy him? If the Chavs get him they will go to another level. Same for PSG and our European ambitions will be dented. Its Chelsea that could concern me though. Even though it would take the best part of half a billion quid to get him it would be amortised over 5/6 years and their sponsorship would go through the roof. This is just the sort of signing Abramovich dreams of.

I am torn on Messi. Some days I think great, what a signing he'd be, raising the profile of City to unprecedented levels and having the worlds best player over the last 5/6 years on board. Then other days stories come out of what a cunt Messi is and how he is disruptive and not a team player and I think he would be a bad signing for us.

Would it be better to have him in our squad and blow a couple of years budget on him or have him in Chelseas squad and let them suffer with budget restraints and hope his star is waning?

I know if we were in for him I'd be excited like I haven't been since Robinho
nottsblue
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby City64 » Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:30 pm

Before this rumoured bid by Chelski for Messi didn't they ( Chelski) suddenly change there stand on FFP a few weeks ago ?
Not really here

Fuck VAR
City64
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Bianchi on Ice » Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:34 pm

Im sure all this is being used as leverage on Messis next contract negotiations with Barcelona. I would be amazed if he left.
Bianchi on Ice
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: warren beatty

Postby Beefymcfc » Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:39 pm

Good to see the real threads are alive.
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby Spurge » Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:05 pm

BBC article on who could afford Messi. Within this article includes a list of most valuable players. Aguero vauled at £15m less than Costa - thats a joke! Also Pogba considered more expensive. And Hazard who most of us would want in our starting line up valued a full £25m+ more expensive than Kun. I'm not having that!

Lionel Messi: Who can afford to sign Barcelona striker?

By Simon Stone
BBC Sport
Only two clubs could buy Lionel Messi outright and satisfy Financial Fair Play, according to a finance expert.
And Real Madrid and Manchester United would struggle to pay Messi's wages without breaking Uefa's rules.
The rest of Europe's elite would have to stagger a payment over a number of years to meet the £170m valuation.
"With the revenue they generate and cash reserves, only United and Real Madrid could pay the fee," said Rob Wilson of Sheffield Hallam University.
"With salary costs probably even they couldn't stay within FFP."
World's most valuable players
Source: CIES Football Observatory (January, 2015)
220m Euros (£172.43m) Lionel Messi (Barcelona)
133m Euros (£104.24m) Cristiano Ronaldo (Real Madrid)
99m Euros (£77.60m) Eden Hazard (Chelsea)
84m Euros (£65.84m) Diego Costa (Chelsea)
72m Euros (£56.43m) Paul Pogba (Juventus)
65m Euros (£50.95m) Sergio Aguero (Manchester City)
Spurge
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Asa Hartford

Postby Ted Hughes » Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:33 pm

What the fuck is that silly cunt talking about ?

Of course people like Utd, & City, can afford Messi. They will get a huge increase in sponsorship & shirt sales to pay for it. And the transfer fee will be spread over the length of the contract, as far as ffp is concerned.

And Aguero @ 50 mil ??? On what fucking planet ?
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby blues2win » Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:42 pm

Mirror saying that Barca want Txiki and Soriano back. No way. Aguero is worth over 100 million euros, probably much more. If Messi ever becomes available we will go all out to get him. Can you imagine if Chelsea or the Rags got home? Unthinkable. Our two Spanish bosses would be expected to get their man and I'm sure they would. Personally I think he'll stay where he is and Luis Enrique will get the tin tack.
blues2win
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: david silva

Postby twosips » Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:44 pm

The idea that Costa is worth 15m more than Aguero is hilarious.
twosips
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: mcfc

Postby Ted Hughes » Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:52 pm

blues2win wrote:Mirror saying that Barca want Txiki and Soriano back. No way. Aguero is worth over 100 million euros, probably much more. If Messi ever becomes available we will go all out to get him. Can you imagine if Chelsea or the Rags got home? Unthinkable. Our two Spanish bosses would be expected to get their man and I'm sure they would. Personally I think he'll stay where he is and Luis Enrique will get the tin tack.

I think that's what will happen.

Can't see Messi working with Mourinho if he does opt to leave though. Would either be the Count or Slughead who he would pick to work with I imagine.

If Messi leaves Barca, it will be a question of whether we decide we want him, at the cost involved imo. If he is for sale, & we want him, we will get him. If we don't want him, then others have a crack at it.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby Peter Doherty (AGAIG) » Fri Jan 09, 2015 12:25 am

Messi to leave Barca? It'll never happen (at least before he's past it).
Peter Doherty (AGAIG)
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Johan Cruyff

Postby Blue Since 76 » Fri Jan 09, 2015 12:27 am

blues2win wrote:Mirror saying that Barca want Txiki and Soriano back. No way. Aguero is worth over 100 million euros, probably much more. If Messi ever becomes available we will go all out to get him. Can you imagine if Chelsea or the Rags got home? Unthinkable. Our two Spanish bosses would be expected to get their man and I'm sure they would. Personally I think he'll stay where he is and Luis Enrique will get the tin tack.

Just heard that and apparently Barca want the Count with them. It's almost as if we've got a game with them coming.
Blue Since 76
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Tesl » Fri Jan 09, 2015 4:19 am

Messi would be huge in terms of growing the City brand and the commercial opportunities that come with that.

But can we please to god drop this fucking "Pay for itself in shirt sales" canard? Shirt sales account for a tiny fraction of revenue and in the big picture would make no fucking difference. Messi or anybody else.

(He won't leave Barca anyway)
Tesl
Tevez's Golfing Holiday

Supporter of: City

Postby stevefromdonny » Fri Jan 09, 2015 5:07 am

can I just say, he carnt leave until NEXT summer [2016] because barca is not allowed to do transfers in or out
stevefromdonny
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: man city
My favourite player is: any1 who plays for city

Postby Im_Spartacus » Fri Jan 09, 2015 6:20 am

stevefromdonny wrote:can I just say, he carnt leave until NEXT summer [2016] because barca is not allowed to do transfers in or out

Whilst they may have a transfer ban, being unable to sell constitutes restraint of free movement of labour, contrary to European law. So regardless what UEFA say, they can most definitely sell.
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Breasts

Postby Blue Since 76 » Fri Jan 09, 2015 7:56 am

Tesl wrote:Messi would be huge in terms of growing the City brand and the commercial opportunities that come with that.

But can we please to god drop this fucking "Pay for itself in shirt sales" canard? Shirt sales account for a tiny fraction of revenue and in the big picture would make no fucking difference. Messi or anybody else.

(He won't leave Barca anyway)

The only post which mentions shirt sales is mine, which mentions it alongside corporate sales and extra tickets etc. So clearly it wouldn't pay for itself in shirt sales, but no one had said that, so try reading the posts before moaning.
Blue Since 76
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Next

Return to The Maine Football forum