EDS/Academy Games

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: EDS/Academy Games

Postby Wonderwall » Fri Feb 27, 2015 1:18 pm

FA YOUTH CUP on Monday

On Sale Now

MCFC U18’s v Crewe Alexandra

Monday 2th March

Kick-off – 7.00pm

Tickets for this game are priced from:

Free for all Seasoncard Holders and Cityzens Members*

£3 Adult

£1 Concession – Junior (Under 16) and Over 65s

*Seasoncard Holders, MCWFC Seasoncard Holders and Cityzens Members must claim a ticket in order to attend this event.
Wonderwall
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Gods own team

Postby Wonderwall » Fri Feb 27, 2015 1:58 pm

Wonderwall wrote:FA YOUTH CUP on Monday

On Sale Now

Monday 2th March

Kick-off – 7.00pm

£3 Adult

*Seasoncard Holders, MCWFC Seasoncard Holders and Cityzens Members must claim a ticket in order to attend this event.

Also if we win, we play Leicester City in the semi's first leg is the week after and second leg in 3 weeks
Wonderwall

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:37 am

Wonderwall wrote:

On Sale Now

Monday 2th March

Kick-off – 7.00pm

£3 Adult

Also if we win, we play Leicester City in the semi's first leg is the week after and second leg in 3 weeks

Looking forward to this tonight and I hope we get a decent crowd along to cheer them through. It will be interesting to see how seriously we take this by how many of the eligible lads play who don't usually play under 18's. We could have Maffeo,Angelino,Tosin plus Bryan, Celina,Barker,Ambrose,Boadu . Most of that lot have been playing for the EDS rather than under 18's so it would be a formidable line up
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Wonderwall » Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:25 am

Douglas Higginbottom wrote:
Wonderwall wrote:

On Sale Now

Monday 2th March

Kick-off – 7.00pm

£3 Adult

Looking forward to this tonight and I hope we get a decent crowd along to cheer them through. It will be interesting to see how seriously we take this by how many of the eligible lads play who don't usually play under 18's. We could have Maffeo,Angelino,Tosin plus Bryan, Celina,Barker,Ambrose,Boadu . Most of that lot have been playing for the EDS rather than under 18's so it would be a formidable line up

It would be Kudos for the academy to win this cup, so I think the club will want to win it. I suppose it depends if there are any fixture clashes with the EDS and the next games also, which would go into their thinking?

I am looking forward to the game tonight, but looking out the window now at the snow starting to fall, I am going to have to wrap up warm!
Wonderwall

Postby Wonderwall » Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:02 pm

Seriously strong u18 line up tonight. Its more an EDS side than a youth game.
Wonderwall

Postby Wonderwall » Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:27 pm

City the better team but went behind to a long range goal but reacted excellently and have bounced back in style with 2 goals in 3 mins. 2-1
Wonderwall

Postby Dameerto » Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:31 pm

I had a quick look to see if there were any rivers for this, but as usual City aren't broadcasting it. We're missing out on preparing them for important televised games not to mention a future career in front of the cameras and we really need to sort it out.
VIVA EL CITIES

"The adjudicatory chamber of the Ethics Committee ... has banned Mr Joseph S. Blatter ... for eight years and Mr Michel Platini ... for eight years from all football-related activities (administrative, sports or any other) on a national and international level. The bans come into force immediately." - 21/12/2015
Dameerto
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: El City
My favourite player is: Sergio Forwardo

Postby Peter Doherty (AGAIG) » Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:22 pm

Under-18s 3-1 up with 30 mins to go.
4-1 now, Barker gets his second.
5-1 Celina.
6-1 Ambrose.
Last edited by Peter Doherty (AGAIG) on Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Peter Doherty (AGAIG)
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Johan Cruyff

Postby iwasthere2012 » Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:37 pm

We need to see 2-3 get a chance next year followed by 3 maybe 4 THE year after for everyone to start believing in this holistic business. Absolutely no reason why not. Keep the real money for nothing but A-listers. 2-3 additions each season as those past it get replaced.
iwasthere2012
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva (was PabZab)

Postby twosips » Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:03 pm

Will write a proper report later but on my way home and that was highly impressive. Loved it.
twosips
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: mcfc

Postby Ted Hughes » Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:42 pm

Harlem Globetrotters with attitude.

Fantastic skill intelligence, awesome workrate. Almost as if they were taking the piss out of the first team. Five six players in the oppo half, sometimes 8 or 10, sprinting full speed to close down, still at it 6 up with the final whistle due.

Barker, Ambrose, Boadu, Celina, Nemane, all attacking players all working like fuck to win the ball in the oppo half . Tracking back like fuck when needed, passing at lightning speed. Sometimes almost a 2 1 7 formation.

Fuck off Carragher, up yours Souness fuck off Sky with your out of date punditry. Get to fuck Daily Mail & all the old troglodyte hacks with your cliched crap.

THIS is how you play football.

City are the future. The rest are the past.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby Beefymcfc » Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:50 pm

Mmmmmmm, Liverpool, Chelsea & untied are getting a lot of coverage on SSN but I've not heard a dicky bird about our youth (even though they really are youth). Why are we being ignored?
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby twosips » Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:53 pm

That was fucking great. Proper demolition.

Traffic meant we were a few minutes later but walked in to see Crewe wallop one in through the horrible snowy/sleety stuff from twenty five yards in the top corner. After that it was totally one-sided though. Centre-backs, Tosin A. and Cameron Humphries strolled through it and both looked comfortable in possession throughout. I thought Kean Bryan was excellent once again following on his from performance against Schalke last week - he just makes the right choice nearly every time and reads the game so well. I'd be surprised if he doesn't end up a premiership player.

The two spanish terriers were both great at fullback again - Maffeo and Angelino are both brilliant little players. Angelino set up the first after some great work down the left with Barker and curled it across with pace for Nemane to put it away at the back post. Maffeo is just pure Zaba in the way he works with so much determination. He's always one step ahead of his opponent, same with Angelino. Great determination.

Not one of the forwards had a bad game. Celina was fantastic, i thought. Two or three great long range efforts, one from 30 yards crashed the bar and his goal was beautiful - bang in the centre of the pitch 25 yards out he suddenly burst past his opponent who was facing him square, dropped his shoulder and placed it in the bottom right hand corner from the edge of the area. Unstoppable to be honest. He was pulling the strings the whole game and there were so many lovely little delicate touches and flicks. Barker was typically Barker; a frightening pacey terror. I was really impressed with his work rate and his two finishes were excellent - the second was a ball over the top which he won a foot race with a Crewe defender trying to pull him down, yet he still managed to slot it past the kepper. He's a very good finisher. He played a nice little lay off for Boadu's goal too, who finished in a similar way to Celina, cooly placing the ball in the bottom corner from the edge of the area.

Boadu really shone for me - first time i've seen him in person in his preferred position just behind the striker and i thought he bullied them a bit at times. Last couple of times ive seen him he's played as a CF and it's really clear to me that the strength in his game comes from running from deep. He reminded me of Barkley actually. He's a big strong lad who is very adept at skipping past players and he did it a few times and could have a couple of assists if other players' finishing had been a bit better. He's not just a runner though and he can see a pass, one that followed a powerful surging run which took three players out of the game before he put Celina through on goal stood out. Nemane wasn't quite at his very best but he was still a menace down the right and took his goal well, setting one up too for Ambrose through sheer persistence and selfless play. He's fucking rapid too. Ambrose played up top and i thought he had a solid game - though i think i've seen him play better on the right but he still lead the line well and i do think he's a better natural option up top than Pozo.

Young Portugese lad came on called Fernandes and he just carried on where Barker left off. I was really, really impressed with his contribution. He came on on the right and he kept skinning his fullback repeatedly - he's absolutely tiny but very darty and nippy and loves a trick. It was his skinning of the full back and powerful drive that lead to the goalmouth scramble that resulted in Ambrose's goal. He physically looked like Nery Castillo if anyone remembers him but played like Navas if he had flair. Marcus Wood came on and took over from Kean Bryan and did basically the exact same composed job. We got a brief Garcia cameo too.

Overall i thought it was genuinely top class stuff. I really liked the formation. Kean Bryan holding with Boadu and Celina as AMs behind Ambrose with Barker and Nemane as proper wingers. It felt so fluid and the team's ability to pass it around simply, retain possession and then quickly step up the pace and run directly at Crewe caused them so many problems. There was loads of flair in this team - it's notable compared to the first team how many players we have who want to beat a man. We have about 2/3 at most who run with pace at people in the whole of our first team squad but we had about 6/7 on the pitch tonight alone who had pace, flair and work-rate. They all play football too - none of the stuff we saw from Weiss for example, running with the ball when he should pass etc. They know when to do what they have to do and after the events of the first team, im not gonna lie it was really heartening stuff.

I've probably gone a bit over the top but i genuinely hugely enjoyed that. The desire was brilliant and we do have some wonderful young talent at our disposal and seeing them all click at the same time tonight was a pleasure.
twosips
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby Beefymcfc » Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:57 pm

I read all these posts and wonder why the manager/coaches/board don't let any of them make it to the bench; at least?

Sounds like we're trying to out-do Barca and bring them all through together rather than supporting the first team.

Can we wait, Mr Holistico?
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby twosips » Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:57 pm

'Harlem globetrotters with attitude' - spot on. That just about sums it up.

I'm not sure you'll see a more complete performance at youth team level than this. A fucking freezing cold Monday night in east manchester against a Crewe team who were effectively cloggers and it was quite simply majestic.
twosips
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby blues2win » Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:01 pm

Thanks for that excellent report. I really will be disappointed if we buy a young full back in the next year or two. I have high hopes that both Angelino and Maffeo can make it here. Barker really should make the first team squad next season and probably Lopes and Denayer too. If we could just get Pogba as well it would transform the team.
blues2win
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: david silva

Postby Ted Hughes » Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:23 pm

It's so difficult to say how many of these lads will make the first team, but if you watched the game tonight & compare it to other players we have had in the past who have made it through, you would say ALL of them bar the keeper.

Joey Barton, Ireland etc would not get on the fucking bench. SWP maybe & Micah as a cb, but only because of their athleticism (& skill in SWP's case). But these lads are smarter than Shaun was. Lakey would get in next to Tosin at the back.

Of course some will go to shit, but if they don't, & just keep a steady progression, something awesome could happen here.
That doesn't mean they will win the cup; a well organised or a big side may still stop them, but I don't fucking care. This is right. I've seen fuck all like this.

I saw Giggs play several times as a kid, & he was like one of these lads. Striker in those days when I saw him. Maybe a better finisher than some of these, but not a better footballer.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby twosips » Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:37 pm

I really really liked the formation. It just felt right.

......................... Haug ............................

Maffeo - C-humphries - Tosin - Angelino

........................ Bryan .............................

............. Celina .............. Boadu .............

Nemane .................................. Barker ....
..................... Ambrose ............................

Perfectly balanced. Maffeo and Angelino really supported the attack too and at times it felt like there was about 8 players in and around their area. Total football at times.

Add Denayer, Ntcham, Byrne, Lopes, Kelechi and maybe the likes of Cole and Hiwula too and that's a hell of a lot of talent coming through.
twosips
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby Ted Hughes » Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:42 pm

twosips wrote:I really really liked the formation. It just felt right.

......................... Haug ............................

Maffeo - C-humphries - Tosin - Angelino

........................ Bryan .............................

............. Celina .............. Boadu .............

Nemane ............................ Barker ..........
..................... Ambrose ............................

Perfectly balanced. Maffeo and Angelino really supported the attack too and at times it felt like there was about 8 players in and around their area. Total football at times.

Total football is the exact word. I thought about Cruyff/Holland/Barca etc. Blokes I was chatting to at the game were talking along those lines.

I would prefer that kind of shape with the first team, but it wouldn't play like that.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby twosips » Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:49 pm

No, it definitely wouldn't. We haven't got any players for the wide positions or the desire/legs either it'd seem.

I'd just love it if this team grew together. That front six there really is definitely good. It can happen - we could be onto a Barcelona style thing here.

Where were you sat by the way? Some very knowledgeable blokes sat behind me chatting away about all the players.
twosips
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum