EDS/Academy Games

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: EDS/Academy Games

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Sat Nov 24, 2018 8:00 pm

Fun to watch 3.3 draw away at the swamp for the 18's today. 4 penalties ( 2 each) and all 4 were pens as well which is probably unusual. The first for Utd to put them 1 up was the softest. The 2 City got were just wild desperate challenges. Utd's second was an Ederson moment for Molden.

Sadly Moulden then spilled an average shot for us to go 3.2 down. Great run from Fiorini to help make the goal for Cole Palmer which he took with great composure.

Overall not the greatest quality game despite the goals and entertainment. Jayden Braf got one of our penalties running onto a good through ball but I reckon if he had a great game today we would have won 6.3. Runs well with the ball till he has to do something with it!! Chances to shoot and score including a 1 on 1 but messed them all up. Also great chances for a key pass but just didn't make them.

I can't remember the details but I am sure he came to us with a big fanfare and another great prospect for the future. I am still waiting to see why!
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash
 
Posts: 10492
Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:42 pm

Re: EDS/Academy Games

Postby dazby » Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:10 pm

I actually got to watch the second half of this match. The City number 10 Doug. Is he a year or two younger than the others?
Attack the argument of the person, not the person of the argument- except Carl.
User avatar
dazby
Allison's Big Fat Cigar
 
Posts: 18674
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2005 4:02 am
Location: Brisbane Australia
Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: BendyMendy

Re: EDS/Academy Games

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Wed Nov 28, 2018 1:08 am

dazby wrote:I actually got to watch the second half of this match. The City number 10 Doug. Is he a year or two younger than the others?


Was the 10 Cole Palmer? I think he is 16 so will be quite a bit younger than some.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash
 
Posts: 10492
Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:42 pm

Re: EDS/Academy Games

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Sat Dec 01, 2018 4:01 pm

3.3 again today, this time at home v WBA. As we were 3.1 with maybe 15 to go it was a decent recovery and result. The problems are there to see in defence though. I would guess we had about 70% of the ball but just lacked a real killer finisher. To be fair to their keeper he did make some excellent saves and we did hit the post. 2 saves with his feet.

It was after one of those WBA broke away to score.I thought our centre back had forced his way to win a ball but it got through him. He chased back well got to the ball in our penalty area and then somehow lost it again and they scored to go 2.1 up

We had taken the lead through a sublime goal from Fiorini. He took a well hit ball brilliantly with his left and turned ito a defender who he nutmegged, ran towards the keeper and slid it under him
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash
 
Posts: 10492
Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:42 pm

Re: EDS/Academy Games

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:34 pm

What a fun way to spend a dark damp Tuesday afternoon. Watching City 18's play Middlesbrough. After the last 2 games produced 6 goals with 2 draws this one was slightly different. Still 6 goals but we won 6 nil.

How it was only 1 nil at half time was baffling. A sudden burst in the second half killed the game as a contest and it was a question of how many. It could have been 10!

Shout outs to Ben Knight who scored the first 2 and nearly got his hat trick before being taken off I think at 3 nil. For those who don't know the name he is very similar is physique and playing style to Bernado Silva. He is really good. His first today was a header!!

Jadon Braaf again terrorised their right back. Assisted one , scored another and was a massive threat all day. His final ball was still wasteful too often but if he really gets it right in a game he will score/assist loads. Just needs that final quality.

Cole Palmer who is a slip of a lad has a lovely touch and somehow managed to play as a center forward much of the game, coming of their defenders to receiev the ball and bring others into play. Scored a beauty too when he was playing from deeper.

Rowan McDonald played really well as holding midfield and basically ran the game from there. Dropped into centre half later on. I have been impressed by this lad for a while now. Just needs to be careful not to get too far forward at times and thus leaving the back 4 exposed.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash
 
Posts: 10492
Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:42 pm

Re: EDS/Academy Games

Postby nottsblue » Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:57 am

Beat Barnsley away on penalties after drawing 3-3 in the 90 minutes.

Don’t know how many more games there are before the final but it would be good for the lads if they could make it
nottsblue
Yaya's Wembley Winning Strikes
 
Posts: 15332
Joined: Sat Oct 05, 2013 5:17 pm
Location: Nottingham
Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Re: EDS/Academy Games

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:02 am

nottsblue wrote:Beat Barnsley away on penalties after drawing 3-3 in the 90 minutes.

Don’t know how many more games there are before the final but it would be good for the lads if they could make it


Would be brilliant. Sounds like they played without a recognised centre forward yesterday with the two wide players scoring the 3 goals. Matondo with his lightening pace sounded unplayable at times got one and 2 for Poveda. He is a clever player who I think has deserved to score in recent games without it quite happening.

It's quite scary in these games when you see how big , massive really, the opposition are compared to our kids who are mostly teenagers.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash
 
Posts: 10492
Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:42 pm

Re: EDS/Academy Games

Postby Hutch's Shoulder » Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:48 pm

Douglas Higginbottom wrote:
nottsblue wrote:Beat Barnsley away on penalties after drawing 3-3 in the 90 minutes.

Don’t know how many more games there are before the final but it would be good for the lads if they could make it


Would be brilliant. Sounds like they played without a recognised centre forward yesterday with the two wide players scoring the 3 goals. Matondo with his lightening pace sounded unplayable at times got one and 2 for Poveda. He is a clever player who I think has deserved to score in recent games without it quite happening.

It's quite scary in these games when you see how big , massive really, the opposition are compared to our kids who are mostly teenagers.


That was the round of 32, so 3 more rounds then the final. I was at Accrington Stanley vs Lincoln in the same competition last night, and everyone I spoke to hated it that U21 sides play in it and hoped they all went out ASAP!

The draw for the next round is on Saturday.
User avatar
Hutch's Shoulder
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp
 
Posts: 3378
Joined: Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:55 am
Location: Wild country near Glossop
Supporter of: City of course
My favourite player is: David Silva

Re: EDS/Academy Games

Postby Dipstick » Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:24 pm

Can't see anything about coverage on the city web site but tonight's Premier League2 fixture against Derby U23s is being streamed for free on Derby's website. Kick off at 19:00

https://www.dcfc.co.uk/news/2018/12/watch-derby-county-under-23s-take-on-man-city-for-free-on-ramstv
"People say I'm egocentric, but enough about them." Lily Allen
User avatar
Dipstick
De Jong's Tackle
 
Posts: 1926
Joined: Sat Apr 15, 2006 9:37 pm
Location: Colin Bell Stand

Re: EDS/Academy Games

Postby Nigels Tackle » Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:08 pm

Dipstick wrote:Can't see anything about coverage on the city web site but tonight's Premier League2 fixture against Derby U23s is being streamed for free on Derby's website. Kick off at 19:00

https://www.dcfc.co.uk/news/2018/12/watch-derby-county-under-23s-take-on-man-city-for-free-on-ramstv


shit. pretty much missed it. what a friday night that could have been!!!
SURREY'S FINEST
Nigels Tackle
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent
 
Posts: 13512
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2007 7:57 pm
Location: here, there, every fucking where
Supporter of: man love
My favourite player is: mike mason liam lingo

Re: EDS/Academy Games

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Sat Dec 08, 2018 3:22 pm

Nigels Tackle wrote:
Dipstick wrote:Can't see anything about coverage on the city web site but tonight's Premier League2 fixture against Derby U23s is being streamed for free on Derby's website. Kick off at 19:00

https://www.dcfc.co.uk/news/2018/12/watch-derby-county-under-23s-take-on-man-city-for-free-on-ramstv


shit. pretty much missed it. what a friday night that could have been!!!


Really good result that as Derby are/were top of the league and also as we had played the Checkatrade game at Barnsly on Tuesday.

Watched the 18's this morning. A cup game against Blackburn and apparently we needed to win by 2 to progress. Some sort of group we had to qualify from and it's a very tight group. So it was good to win 3.1 with goals from Cole Palmer, Lewis Fiorini and Jadon Braaf.

Any thing but plain sailing even though we scored very early and dominated the early play. BBurn scored with their first real attack.. Knowing we needed to win by 2 it looked like we opened up more than usual to get the goals and it could have gone the other way as Moulden had to make a 1 on 1 save. Straight down the other end, a great ball inside the fullback from Corrigan first time cross from Braaf and a simple finish from Fiorini.

Blackburn then hit the underside of the bar but City broke and Braaf cut in from the left, dummied twice to shoot but then put it in the corner. We basically managed the game from there and it strangely seemed BBurn were also happy to see the game end. There were some iffy moments at both ends but a 3.1 win it was.

Great to see Tommy Doyle back on the pitch for just over 45 minutes. Good to see Glynn Pardoe there to watch him.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash
 
Posts: 10492
Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:42 pm

Previous

Return to The Maine Football forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: BlueinBosnia, Burt, carolina-blue, Douglas Higginbottom, Foreverinbluedreams, Hazy2, Hutch's Shoulder, johnnyondioline, london blue 2, Nigels Tackle, nottsblue, Outcast, rosbif cuisson 'bleu', ross.mcfc, s1ty m, Sparklehorse, trueblue64, walshawblue, Wonderwall and 48 guests