EDS/Academy Games

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: EDS/Academy Games

Postby nottsblue » Fri Oct 28, 2016 6:26 pm

Under 23s 1-0 up at home v dippers
nottsblue
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Fri Oct 28, 2016 9:43 pm

nottsblue wrote:Under 23s 1-0 up at home v dippers

Good win tonight to take us top of the league. Liverpool were 3rd and we skipped past Everton who were top. Well deserved win I thought and a shame it wasn't more. In the first half we were very dominant and could easily have had 3. Dilrosun giving their full back a hell of a hard time ( the one who played full back for the first team on Tuesday). Kongolo driving well from midfield, Bolton attacking well down the right, Fernandez full of quality floating around a number 10 and Diaz playing the center forward role.

Really it was their keeper who kept the score down with 1 especially good save from Kongolo.Great goal we scored though ,Dilsrosun putting Angelino in down the left, his cross found Diaz dropping off and he very cleverly laid the ball to the side for Fenandez,yet again , to score.

Liverpool were much more at it in the 2nd half and created plenty of pressure but couldnt really find a clear chance with minimal saves for Gunn. Humphreys I thought was the better of our two center backs.Tosin was ok but just seemed a bit sloppy with the ball. I thought Angelino was excellent tonight.Some good breaks forward including the set up for the goal but some of his defending was quality, especially his reading of situations to make crucial interceptions/clearances.

Yet again the team was good to watch and there really really should be more fans there to support and appreciate them.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Blue Since 76 » Fri Oct 28, 2016 9:44 pm

First time I've seen the EDS this season and impressed by usual characters.

They play out from the back in the same way as the 1st team (and make everyone nervous in the same way). Liverpool looked more athletic, but the City lads looked better players. Fernandes was neat and tidy and Angelino looked a class above most players on the pitch, first half especially. Diaz played as lone striker and we struggled to get the ball to him, with 2 big centre halves (Sakho!), but when he dropped and turned he was a real threat to them. Their keeper made 3 or 4 good saves, despite looking like it was past his bedtime (am I getting old?) and we were well worth the 1-0 win.
Blue Since 76
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Fri Oct 28, 2016 10:21 pm

Blue Since 76 wrote:First time I've seen the EDS this season and impressed by usual characters.

They play out from the back in the same way as the 1st team (and make everyone nervous in the same way). Liverpool looked more athletic, but the City lads looked better players. Fernandes was neat and tidy and Angelino looked a class above most players on the pitch, first half especially. Diaz played as lone striker and we struggled to get the ball to him, with 2 big centre halves (Sakho!), but when he dropped and turned he was a real threat to them. Their keeper made 3 or 4 good saves, despite looking like it was past his bedtime (am I getting old?) and we were well worth the 1-0 win.

Those lads have "played the same way as the first team" for years now and are more comfortable doing so.

Kolarov and Kompany look anything but assured playing the ball out but to Humphreys and Tosin it's just what they do. As with John Stones. Angus Gunn is more than happy with the ball at his feet.And that's with Angus and Tosin messing up a couple of times too!
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Mikhail Chigorin » Fri Oct 28, 2016 11:08 pm

Some terrific comments and useful reporting there you two guys. Thanks for taking the time to post them; as ever, it's much appreciated.

Apart from everything else, one recurring theme seems to be that the opposition sides, whomsoever they may be, might be more athletic, more physical, stronger and bigger than our lads, but we always come over as being more skillful and continuing to play the passing game, irrespective of circumstances.

I'm sure this bodes well for the first team (and City's finances), in years to come as a few of them become established in the senior side.

Surely it can't be long now, can it ??
Mikhail Chigorin
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Bert Trautmann

Postby Blue Since 76 » Sat Oct 29, 2016 6:40 am

Douglas Higginbottom wrote:
Blue Since 76 wrote:First time I've seen the EDS this season and impressed by usual characters.

Those lads have "played the same way as the first team" for years now and are more comfortable doing so.

Kolarov and Kompany look anything but assured playing the ball out but to Humphreys and Tosin it's just what they do. As with John Stones. Angus Gunn is more than happy with the ball at his feet.And that's with Angus and Tosin messing up a couple of times too!

They may be more comfortable, but I'm still not sure the fans are! There was only one mistake from it, but I still think they need to learn to be a bit more pragmatic - 1 or 2 into the stand in a game isn't the end of the world.

Agree with your comments about Kompany. I suspect his passing rather than his injuries might be what sees him leave this summer.
Blue Since 76
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Fidel Castro » Sat Oct 29, 2016 7:30 am

Is it just me or has Dilrosun made a huge improvement this season?
Fidel Castro
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: City

Postby Blue Since 76 » Sat Oct 29, 2016 8:19 am

Fidel Castro wrote:Is it just me or has Dilrosun made a huge improvement this season?

I've not seen a great deal of him and thought he did OK last night, but nothing spectacular. In fairness, first half he was on front of us and had the beating of their fullback a few times, only to be held back. No free kick mind - that ref is surely only a few weeks away from a premier league game, as he was unbelievably biased.

Second half there were a few good moments against the full back and he didn't get round the back of them, although there was little (literally) to aim at with only Diaz up top.

There were a few there last night I'd have few concerns over if they were needed in the first team and many have still got a few more years they could play at that level.

Best thing was considering the team we could have had out there without going over the age limit - Garcia, Maffeo, Iheanacho, Sterling, Sané (on the bench). Plus the players currently out on loan. A promising future
Blue Since 76
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Justified logic » Sat Oct 29, 2016 9:54 am

Tbf he'd been out injured since April, hasn't played for the first team this season but has appeared 3 times now for the u23s. This is what we could have done with Kompany to bring him up to full fitness. I say could; I don't think it is the club ethos now to play older players in the youth team if they don't fit with the way the team plays. Still, it could have been a testing ground for his style of play as well as his fitness.

Btw, the LFC TV coverage is every bit as cringingly victim-orientated and over-hyped as the rest of the club. I've listened to Chelsea and United u23 or friendly match commentaries before and they were fair to the opponents (us). For LFC TV there was only one team on the pitch. What a strange lot they are at Liverpool.
Justified logic
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby Mikhail Chigorin » Sat Oct 29, 2016 9:59 am

Justified logic wrote:

Tbf he'd been out injured since April, hasn't played for the first team this season but has appeared 3 times now for the u23s. This is what we could have done with Kompany to bring him up to full fitness. I say could; I don't think it is the club ethos now to play older players in the youth team if they don't fit with the way the team plays. Still, it could have been a testing ground for his style of play as well as his fitness.

Btw, the LFC TV coverage is every bit as cringingly victim-orientated and over-hyped as the rest of the club. I've listened to Chelsea and United u23 or friendly match commentaries before and they were fair to the opponents (us). For LFC TV there was only one team on the pitch. What a strange lot they are at Liverpool.

Nicely understated JL :)

I think a few posters on this forum, blessed with more acidic tongues, might have used a different way to describe Liverpuddle's acolytes.
Mikhail Chigorin
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

My favourite player is: Bert Trautmann

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Sat Oct 29, 2016 10:35 am

Fidel Castro wrote:Is it just me or has Dilrosun made a huge improvement this season?

Not just you. He has definitely stepped up a bit with a bit more end product. Personally I still don't see him quite making it at City but you never know.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Sat Oct 29, 2016 10:38 am

Blue Since 76 wrote:

They may be more comfortable, but I'm still not sure the fans are! There was only one mistake from it, but I still think they need to learn to be a bit more pragmatic - 1 or 2 into the stand in a game isn't the end of the world.

Agree with your comments about Kompany. I suspect his passing rather than his injuries might be what sees him leave this summer.

I am sure some fans aren't but that's tough and they need to get used to it. The ball was launched a few times last night at the right times but mostly they looked to play it out and on a few occasions they did it superbly sucking Liverpool in enough that we could launch an attack with a limited Pool defence in front of us.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Blue Since 76 » Sat Oct 29, 2016 12:38 pm

Blue Since 76 wrote:

I am sure some fans aren't but that's tough and they need to get used to it. The ball was launched a few times last night at the right times but mostly they looked to play it out and on a few occasions they did it superbly sucking Liverpool in enough that we could launch an attack with a limited Pool defence in front of us.

The problem is at any level, launching it towards the centre circle or even into the stand when under pressure won't receive criticism from fans, despite it being less productive than playing your way out. Playing out will cause mistakes and will lead to goals. Whether over the course of the season it creates more than it costs is the key thing, but no one will remember the ones you create.

Good to see the EDS look comfortable with it though. Haven't seen the under 18s so far this season, but they looked pretty comfortable last season, albeit usually with Humphreys and Adarabioyo. Here's hoping for a few more Friday night games we can get to (not least as I think the daughter has a thing for Sancho...)
Blue Since 76
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Sat Oct 29, 2016 1:55 pm

The 18's have a Friday morning game coming soon against Wolves i think.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Justified logic » Sat Oct 29, 2016 3:13 pm

Douglas Higginbottom wrote:The 18's have a Friday morning game coming soon against Wolves i think.

11am on 11 November
Justified logic

Postby Blue Since 76 » Sun Oct 30, 2016 2:14 pm

Justified logic wrote:
Douglas Higginbottom wrote:The 18's have a Friday morning game coming soon against Wolves i think.

11am on 11 November

Surely not! Not very convenient anyway and can't do Saturday mornings with lad playing football, but hopefully some evening games when the cup starts properly
Blue Since 76
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Justified logic » Sun Oct 30, 2016 4:38 pm

Blue Since 76 wrote:
Justified logic wrote:

11am on 11 November

Surely not! Not very convenient anyway and can't do Saturday mornings with lad playing football, but hopefully some evening games when the cup starts properly

http://uk.soccerway.com/national/englan ... on/r35666/
Justified logic

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Sun Oct 30, 2016 10:12 pm

Blue Since 76 wrote:
Justified logic wrote:

11am on 11 November

None of the 18's league games will be evening games apart from the Cup ones i don't think.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby johnny crossan » Mon Oct 31, 2016 1:15 pm

Justified logic wrote:

11am on 11 November

Surely KO at 11.02, I trust Poppies will be worn
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Tue Nov 01, 2016 2:17 pm

Under 19s v Barca is on BT in 45minutes.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Euthanasia

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum