EDS/Academy Games

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: EDS/Academy Games

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:25 pm

Never heard of him! How old is he?
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby iwasthere2012 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:39 pm

Douglas Higginbottom wrote:Never heard of him! How old is he?

Could only be 15 sometime this year, according to this article.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2016/04/21/manchester-citys-global-scouting-mission-pays-off-with-mind-blow/
iwasthere2012
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva (was PabZab)

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:25 pm

iwasthere2012 wrote:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2016/04/21/manchester-citys-global-scouting-mission-pays-off-with-mind-blow/

Too young for my radar but hopefully the season after next.

Looking forward to Friday's EDS game v Chelsea. Very interested to see what team we put out
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby iwasthere2012 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:44 pm

Douglas Higginbottom wrote:
iwasthere2012 wrote:

Looking forward to Friday's EDS game v Chelsea. Very interested to see what team we put out

Any chance it'll be on Facebook?
iwasthere2012
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:57 am

iwasthere2012 wrote:
iwasthere2012 wrote:

Not heard anything but they do seem to announce such things quite late.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby mr_nool » Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:58 am

iwasthere2012 wrote:
iwasthere2012 wrote:

Not heard anything but they do seem to announce such things quite late.

Doug, have you heard any news about Brandon Barker? Surely he will go on loan again, but where?
Intelligent Vigilant Person
mr_nool
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Postby iwasthere2012 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:27 pm

News on Foden

Anyone else seen this from Sam Lee.

Would be great if true.
iwasthere2012
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby johnny crossan » Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:25 pm

iwasthere2012 wrote:News on Foden

Anyone else seen this from Sam Lee.

Would be great if true.

for those who don't or can't click
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby Justified logic » Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:27 pm

Adarabioyo, Foden and Diaz (and Sancho) all missing from tonight's u23 squad for the game against Chelsea.
Kick off 19:05
Justified logic
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:39 pm

I think it was 8 of tonights team that were playing or eligible to play under 18's last season. That's a young side. Not sure how young Chelsea were but they looked a lot more physically developed.

We started well, nearly score 3 times in out first attack.They got better and threarened a bit but nothing too serious. nil nil at half time. Chelsea were fast out of the blocks 2nd half and probably should have scored with a guy clean on Grimshaw who stood up well and then pounced as he thought about going round him.

I was quite surprised for a while they didn't score as it seemed inevitable. We seemd to be tired and some of the decision making was awful but somehow we got back into and came close ourselves but 0.0 it finished. Not a bad result really but my guess is as we blood a young team we might take a few beatings.

Grimshaw in goal was very good bar one flap at a cross which ended with a clearance of the line.

Duhaney ok defensively but not too good on the ball and didnt get forward that often from his regular full back role.
Wilson on the other side also quite good defensively but little going forward
The 2 centre backs Oliver and Francis I thought were very good against a good attacking side. Oliver maybe motm for me.
Davenport back in his natural role played well most of the time but a few poor moments could have been costly. Still reads the game and intercepts well.
Smith at times excellent as ever but also got a bit lost at times I thought. Never question these 2 for effort.

Taylor Richards is a very talented lad and it showed at times but he just wasnt involved enough. Will need to get used to the physicality at this level. Taken off quite early 2nd half but he will come through it.
Garre also not involved enough and physically out of it. Still to see anything here to warrant the wonder kid tag he came with.
Nmecha disappointed me. Good goalscorer and talented lad but far too often he tried to do something for himself rather than play simple and retain possession. Just very poor at holding the ball to bring others in toight.

Dilrosun definitely our main threat and looking very dangerous with close cotrol and pace as he attacked from the right.
Matondo who came on for Garre also was a threat and helped us get back as a threat with raw pace and good intent. I want to see more of him.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby C & C » Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:55 pm

Thanks Doug. Your insight is always appreciated!
C & C
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Micah Richard's Penalty Dives

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:07 am

Seems that Chelsea were also a very young side last night. That i guess is the way it is nowadays for what is allegedly an under 23 side or even a reserve team but really is going to be a place for under 18's coming through and those players who have been put out on loan.

City have obviously loaned out loads of players to NAC Breda and Girona as well as the likes of Ash Smith Brown to Scotland, Celine to Ipswich and others I cant think of. Then we have Muric, Foden , Diaz with the 1's and of course good old Sancho thinking about what's best for him.

The end result is effectively a reserve reserve team under the management of Simon Davies who doesnt fill me with any confidence at all. I will still enjoy watching this lot but expect to enjoy watching the "new" under 18's this year even more.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby iwasthere2012 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:59 pm

Doug, I believe Tommy Doyle is stepping up to the U18's this season. Is he 16 yet? Am I right in saying he was playing u15 last year?
By all accounts he seems to be a bright prospect.
With his City credentials and pedigree what a boost it would be for someone like him to eventually break through.
iwasthere2012
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby blues2win » Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:02 pm

I'd be grateful for Doug's assessment of whether we've been fair to Maffeo. With all our full backs leaving what signal does it send to a young player when we buy two right backs. I'm not saying Danilo is a bad player but if we'd kept Maffeo we could have spent the money on a genuine back up left back in Bertrand.
blues2win
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: david silva

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:10 pm

blues2win wrote:I'd be grateful for Doug's assessment of whether we've been fair to Maffeo. With all our full backs leaving what signal does it send to a young player when we buy two right backs. I'm not saying Danilo is a bad player but if we'd kept Maffeo we could have spent the money on a genuine back up left back in Bertrand.

I have always liked and rated Maffeo and believed he had a good chance of making it at City. He is probably the best defender we have had through the ranks in recent years. It would seem he is doing well on his extended loan at Girona and maybe well enough to come back to City next season.

Maybe he wasnt quite good enough to be our number one right back before and maybe hs isn't now that we have got Walker but I think he is good enough to be number two and tonight showed exactly that. On top of his footballing abilities he has a big heart too!
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Fidel Castro » Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:14 am

Barker going to Hibs, apparently
Fidel Castro
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Postby bobadji » Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:56 pm

https://www.mancity.com/news/eds/match- ... tch-report

u21s beat Rotherham last night on pens, keeper had a blinder by the looks of it
bobadji
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

My favourite player is: Ned

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:44 pm

bobadji wrote:https://www.mancity.com/news/eds/match-report/2017/august/rotherham-united-man-city-eds-checkatrade-trophy-match-report

u21s beat Rotherham last night on pens, keeper had a blinder by the looks of it

Not a great surprise, Muric is a great prospect
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:07 pm

A report from Twosips on the 18's v Wolves today. Can't disagree with anything.

Went to this today. Enjoyed it a lot. Loads of *new* players on show given the first year scholars stepping up. Always fascinating this time of the year watching the new lads settle in. They're good too, unsurprisingly.

Most interestingly though for me was being told that the best of last year's u16s who should be this year's u18s first year scholars have seemingly just jumped up immediately to the EDS. Taylor Richards and Matondo are just with the EDS now and will effectively skip the u18s league altogether. They played v Rotherham in the Checkatrade the other night for example. Another too, Tommy Doyle who should only be an u16 has already moved up to the 18s this season, though he was away on international duty today. There was no Bobby Duncan either who should be at the 18s level cos of England stuff. So it was nowhere near our strongest bunch of new u18s to put it simply. I like this approach. Was told it's Wilcox pushing it as the previous head of the academy, Mark Allen, was far too obsessed with winning trophies, which is why you'd see people like Sancho and Foden winning 4/5-0 every week at u18s level, where they were clearly far too good.

Another interesting thing I was told was that the academy last year had a win percentage of 90% across the board. In some people's eyes at City that is too high as it means that the players aren't being challenged enough and are too good for their level, hence the quick promotions. Can't disagree with that. An average big club wins about 60 odd % of their games for example. Some will end up getting loaned to clubs with win ratios of probs around 30/40% most of the time too when they're older. It doesn't prepare them for life at all having it as easy as some clearly find it.

Wilcox wants to change all that, and rightly so. Really encouraging to hear that players will be pushed up ASAP these days starting this year.

On to the game, Wolves made City work hard for the 4-1 but it was good to watch. Got to see the new Spanish lad Eric Garcia who oozed class. You can see why he was Barca's captain. Strong, tall, a leader, composed. Looks like an old school Italian CB in the way he plays. Other standout was another spanish lad, Nabil - striker we signed recently. Some player him. Scored a great header and another where it was v Negredo-esque. Span away from two defenders and thumped it home. Great all round performance. Felix Nmecha, Lukas' little brother, scored a belter from 25 yards and Ogunby scored the other too. A good solid performance, if not spectacular.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Justified logic » Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:22 am

Thanks for that. ALWAYS interesting to read the reports on how the youth players are doing.
Justified logic
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

My favourite player is: David Silva

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum