EDS/Academy Games

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: EDS/Academy Games

Postby iwasthere2012 » Sat Feb 04, 2017 12:55 am

Douglas Higginbottom wrote:
iwasthere2012 wrote:4-1 in the end.
Duhaney grabbing a second for himself late on.
Lovely work from Fernandes to set him up.

I thought Duhaney played well. I've only watched the second half and thought we looked very solid without having the flair we are used to at U18's.
Sancho and Diaz doing very well but not having it all their own way.
Then Sancho comes up with one moment of magic to see off any thought of come back.
Very good result.
Thought Tosin and Humphreys looked comfortable.
Diallo and Kongolo looked very strong.
Nmecha did much better than last game I saw him in.

Probably one of the better performances from the EDS. Far from perfect with some very sloppy passing at times which gave Sunderland most if their chances but as Simon Davies said at least they reacted well to somehow recover the mistakes albit twice with desperate last gasp blocks.

Attacking wise I thought we were good without ripping them apart but Diaz on the right with Duheaney caused them all sorts of problems. Much less came from the left with Sancho who was mostly forced inside and he was unusually quiet as has been said. Great team goal from Duheany for the first. Brilliant run and pass from Diaz to set up Nmecha who took the chance well.

Sancho was threatening a bit more in the second half with still little coming off but his goal was classic Sancho and an absolute peach. He had another great chance on the break but got it wrong and I think it did show up that he hasn't got much of a left foot. The last goal when Fernandez was set free down the left was really well created and he times the pass very well. Great credit to Duheany was saw the chance arriving and sprinted to get on to the pass.

Probably a bit unfair to criticise anyone tonight but as I said some sloppy passing to give them dangerous breaks and from a number of players too. Grimshaw's double save was top class as was Humphreys block when it seemed a certain goal. I liked Diallo again tonight in that holding role. Kongolo and Boadu a bit mixed but some very good play to help us dominate the midfield.

I thought the defenders did their jobs well tonight bar the poor passes. Francis doing a decent job again at left back, Dunheaney doing a good job at right back even if you ignore the two goals but he is really impressing at the moment. Tosin still manages to go though games appearing to be in 2nd gear but on one occasion when they broke from one of corners he really showed some real pace sprinting back.

Now for the 18's tomorrow. All of them were there watching tonight for the first half and wow they do look a really young bunch of lads. Hoping to go and watch this one.

Considering a number tonight's team play at U18 level I'd be very interested to hear updates on tomorrow's game.

I'd like to hear how the replacements get on. Must be a really young bunch.
iwasthere2012
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva (was PabZab)

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Sat Feb 04, 2017 9:03 am

iwasthere2012 wrote:
iwasthere2012 wrote:4-1 in the end.
Duhaney grabbing a second for himself late on.
Lovely work from Fernandes to set him up.

I thought Duhaney played well. I've only watched the second half and thought we looked very solid without having the flair we are used to at U18's.
Sancho and Diaz doing very well but not having it all their own way.
Then Sancho comes up with one moment of magic to see off any thought of come back.
Very good result.
Thought Tosin and Humphreys looked comfortable.
Diallo and Kongolo looked very strong.
Nmecha did much better than last game I saw him in.

Probably one of the better performances from the EDS. Far from perfect with some very sloppy passing at times which gave Sunderland most if their chances but as Simon Davies said at least they reacted well to somehow recover the mistakes albit twice with desperate last gasp blocks.

Attacking wise I thought we were good without ripping them apart but Diaz on the right with Duheaney caused them all sorts of problems. Much less came from the left with Sancho who was mostly forced inside and he was unusually quiet as has been said. Great team goal from Duheany for the first. Brilliant run and pass from Diaz to set up Nmecha who took the chance well.

Sancho was threatening a bit more in the second half with still little coming off but his goal was classic Sancho and an absolute peach. He had another great chance on the break but got it wrong and I think it did show up that he hasn't got much of a left foot. The last goal when Fernandez was set free down the left was really well created and he times the pass very well. Great credit to Duheany was saw the chance arriving and sprinted to get on to the pass.

Probably a bit unfair to criticise anyone tonight but as I said some sloppy passing to give them dangerous breaks and from a number of players too. Grimshaw's double save was top class as was Humphreys block when it seemed a certain goal. I liked Diallo again tonight in that holding role. Kongolo and Boadu a bit mixed but some very good play to help us dominate the midfield.

I thought the defenders did their jobs well tonight bar the poor passes. Francis doing a decent job again at left back, Dunheaney doing a good job at right back even if you ignore the two goals but he is really impressing at the moment. Tosin still manages to go though games appearing to be in 2nd gear but on one occasion when they broke from one of corners he really showed some real pace sprinting back.

Now for the 18's tomorrow. All of them were there watching tonight for the first half and wow they do look a really young bunch of lads. Hoping to go and watch this one.

Considering a number tonight's team play at U18 level I'd be very interested to hear updates on tomorrow's game.

I'd like to hear how the replacements get on. Must be a really young bunch.

Setting off soon so I will let you know. Only 2 though of last night's team play much at 18's ( Francis and Sancho). Poveda is Sancho's deputy and Rosler may well take over at centre half as he did last week.Both played last week and were really good. Joe Covenay was there last night too and he is a center half who has been missing through injury so maybe he will return.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Justified logic » Sat Feb 04, 2017 11:44 am

How do we find your Periscope channel Doug? ;)

#U18PL XI v @dcfcofficial:
Muric, Frimpong, Latibeaudiere, Rosler, Wilson, Smith, Bolton, Dele-Bashiru, Gonzalez, Foden, Poveda

Subs v @dcfcofficial:
Sokol, Ogbeta, Pozo, Richards, Hardy
Justified logic
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby Justified logic » Sat Feb 04, 2017 12:16 pm

5' OG!

0-1
Justified logic

Postby iwasthere2012 » Sat Feb 04, 2017 12:53 pm

Any further updates.
iwasthere2012
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby Wonderwall » Sat Feb 04, 2017 1:05 pm

iwasthere2012 wrote:Any further updates.

HT 0-1
Wonderwall
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Gods own team

Postby Justified logic » Sat Feb 04, 2017 1:06 pm

Still 0-1 at half-time.

Separately, Aston Villa u18s have thrashed Broxbourne Borough 7-0. FA Youth Cup quarter-final to be played before 25th February.
Justified logic

Postby Justified logic » Sat Feb 04, 2017 1:09 pm

Liverpool u18s drew and United won, so both are now on 40 points, 6 behind City, with this game still in hand, and 3 games still to go so I make that, with our far superior goal difference, our division win if we win today. Then comes the Championship playoff of course with the top 4 from the South division.
Justified logic

Postby iwasthere2012 » Sat Feb 04, 2017 2:22 pm

Douglas Higginbottom wrote:Setting off soon so I will let you know. Only 2 though of last night's team play much at 18's ( Francis and Sancho).

Were Duhaney, Diaz and Nmecha not all playing last couple of games?
Or am I getting confused between the age groups?
iwasthere2012
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Sat Feb 04, 2017 3:58 pm

iwasthere2012 wrote:
Douglas Higginbottom wrote:Setting off soon so I will let you know. Only 2 though of last night's team play much at 18's ( Francis and Sancho).

Were Duhaney, Diaz and Nmecha not all playing last couple of games?
Or am I getting confused between the age groups?

They all played the cup game v Liverpool and also a few weeks back against Utd but not regularly at 18's level.

here's my thoughts on today at Derby for the 18's.

You can't always win through quality football.Sometimes it's a battle and today was one of those days. It all started well as City were vastly superior and getting at them down both flanks. Poveda and Wilson almost making things happen but not quite whilst Bolton was ripping them apart on the right. It was his strong low cross created the OG. Some how though derby kept City at bay but I don't think they ever seriously got into our penalty box.

I say somehow but it was obvious really that they relied on the physical approach. Foden was being man mared in the middle and with a bobbly dry pitch anything but a perfect touch gave the defender a chance to tackle and that's what Derby were all about. Foden's man marking was often a guy going through the back of him and getting little protection from the 19 year old ref!

I am sure we weren't happy with the Derby approach and many times appealed to the ref for some protection but as the game was so one sided maybe they weren't too worried. The 2nd half was much the same for a while but Derby were even more in the faces. We were given a free kick on the edge of the box just after their no 7 had been floored on the edge of our box ( no foul of course) While he was being treated with the ref in attendance it all kicked off down the other end!

I have no idea what started it or who did what to who but the ref came haring back , the linos ran on and sorted it after tons of pushing and shoving.The end result a booking for Tom Dele and their aggressive number 4 man marker. There were a few other mini skirmishes with tackles flying in. Mostly Derby but we weren't shy either and then their no 9 flew into one on Latibeaudierre which got it all going again. The ref really had no option but to red card him. Joel when he landed after the tackle screamed " are you mad" which just about summed up the tackle!

They then scored after a header from Wilson fell to their guy and he turned and shot low. Great goal for them but Wilson was splattered after he headed the ball and it should have been a foul for me. So we had to get forward again and to be honest we had done nothing 2nd half at all. Foden was anonymous, Poveda being muscled out of everything and Tom Dele taken off so he wasn't sent off.

Then a ball was flicked over their defence and the speed of Gonzalez got to the ball just before their keeper who clattered into him and a penalty given which Gonzalez scored. Derby folk near me thought the foul would go the other way but Gonzalez clearly got the ball past him. Happily we played the last 10 minutes or so with minimal fuss bit was a really tough game on a crap pitch with a very young ref. Maybe it was a bit early for him to ref a game like this.

Matt Smith , playing defensive midfield was my MotM.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby iwasthere2012 » Sat Feb 04, 2017 4:28 pm

They may get used to it Doug.
I have s feeling that quite a few Prem teams are going to take this approach on our first team also.
A lesson to them.
iwasthere2012
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Sat Feb 04, 2017 4:45 pm

iwasthere2012 wrote:They may get used to it Doug.
I have s feeling that quite a few Prem teams are going to take this approach on our first team also.
A lesson to them.

Foden just got what Silva has had to for years! WHU tried it on Wednesday as Sterling and Jesus will know only to well.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Justified logic » Sat Feb 04, 2017 5:45 pm

Thanks for the report Doug.

Please Periscope the next match! ;)
Justified logic

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Sat Feb 04, 2017 6:28 pm

Justified logic wrote:Thanks for the report Doug.

Please Periscope the next match! ;)

hmmm.. maybe not
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby iwasthere2012 » Mon Feb 06, 2017 1:32 pm

For Doug or anyone ITK.
I'm coming over for the monaco game and was wondering is there any Academy/U18/U19 games on that week.
Fixtures in the OS rule out the U18's and EDS by the looks of it. The U19 UEFA cup is on this week and there is nothing down after that.

What is the likelihood of a game that week?
iwasthere2012
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:24 am

I guess there is the prospect that if the 19's beat Salzberg tomorrow they will have a Euro game against someone in the week of the Monaco game. Even if they do I don't think a home game is guaranteed.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby iwasthere2012 » Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:26 am

Douglas Higginbottom wrote:I guess there is the prospect that if the 19's beat Salzberg tomorrow they will have a Euro game against someone in the week of the Monaco game. Even if they do I don't think a home game is guaranteed.

I've booked now anyway Doug. Unless it's a home game on the Tuesday before the Monaco game, it'll be no use to me.
Would love if there was one though. I'd love to see an academy game. My young lad would love to see inside the academy, as well.
iwasthere2012
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:45 am

iwasthere2012 wrote:
Douglas Higginbottom wrote:I guess there is the prospect that if the 19's beat Salzberg tomorrow they will have a Euro game against someone in the week of the Monaco game. Even if they do I don't think a home game is guaranteed.

I've booked now anyway Doug. Unless it's a home game on the Tuesday before the Monaco game, it'll be no use to me.
Would love if there was one though. I'd love to see an academy game. My young lad would love to see inside the academy, as well.

Even if there is a game you wouldn't see much of the academy apart from the stadium itself.That is unless you write to the club for a special look around for a special visiting fan like yourself.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby iwasthere2012 » Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:47 am

iwasthere2012 wrote:

Even if there is a game you wouldn't see much of the academy apart from the stadium itself.That is unless you write to the club for a special look around for a special visiting fan like yourself.

If I thought it would work I'd give it a go, but I suspect you are messing with me.
iwasthere2012
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby Wonderwall » Tue Feb 07, 2017 2:58 pm

iwasthere2012 wrote:
iwasthere2012 wrote:

If I thought it would work I'd give it a go, but I suspect you are messing with me.

Not at all. Doug is as honest as the day is long and you can be granted access to watch a game if you go through the club first.
Wonderwall
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Gods own team

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum