EDS/Academy Games

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: EDS/Academy Games

Postby dave watson's perm » Wed Jan 13, 2016 1:46 pm

Thanks to all those who provide the info on these games.
dave watson's perm
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: Manchester City FC
My favourite player is: Paul Power

Postby Wonderwall » Thu Jan 14, 2016 7:27 pm

U18s v Leeds being streamed by LUFC TV
We are 1-0 up nmecha.
Wonderwall
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Gods own team

Postby Wonderwall » Thu Jan 14, 2016 8:50 pm

2 - 0 rosin
3 - 0 Kongolo
4 - 0 nmecha
5 - 0 Kongolo
5 - 1 sarmiento OG
5 - 2 penalty
Wonderwall

Postby nottsblue » Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:03 pm

Sounds decent
nottsblue

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Thu Jan 14, 2016 10:27 pm

nottsblue wrote:Sounds decent

It was decent and how nice it is to be able to travel on roads that are not blocked and get back from leeds by 10pm!

Simple fact is that we were better than Leeds in basically every department. The first goal was a gem. Nemane had switched to the left wing took his man on at pace and got a great cross in which Nmecha met on the run and just turned it in. We had quite a few nearly moments before Tosin got up to a good corner and just nodded it in. Very simple and it just made you wonder why the first 3 or 4 corners had all the been the standard sort that don't beat the front man.

Leeds were not a major threat except when we messed up a bit and gave the ball away. One such occasion gave their left winger a chance and he hit the bar although maybe Grimshaw got a touch on it. The second half was much the same and 2 quick goals totally ended the contest.First was a side footer from Kongolo whick lookled very soft. Loads of people in the area and it just seemed to confuse everyone and go in.

Then Nmecha scores one that was all his own work. He harrassed their centre back, took the ball off him and just strode on and beat the keeper. The last was a beauty with Dilrosun I think coming in from the left, he passed to Kongolo who was on the run and hist classy first tough took him passed the last defender and just the keeper to beat. He sat him down and stroked it home.

It was all too easy but fair play to Leeds as they didn't give up and scored 2. Albeit an OG by Sarmiento ( Oliver too easily beaten for a strong low cross he turnes in) and then a penalty which didn't look like one in a million years. Looked a clean win of the ball by Davenport and the ref gave in to the Leeds appeal. So strange when we cant buy one for stonewallers and they get given a non penalty.

Mostly good performance through the team.I would probably say Kongolo was my MotM for his all round play and 2 goals. Nemane had the beating of his defenders and set up the all important first goal. Nmecha scored two and lead the line quite well and got some physical stuff thtown at him as well which he stood up to ok. There was a worry that he had an injury at half time but after a mini fitness test they kept with him but took him off straight after his 2nd.

Patching was good but wasn't quite getting his final pass right a lot of the time. Dilrosun was quiet first half but better in the 2nd a bit like last Saturday v Everton. Davenport mostly good in the defensive mid role. Defensively Tosin mostly good as werll but still can look and be sloppy .It was his error when they hit the bar.

Duhaney was good but not jis best imo and a couple of times he was lucky not to be booked after revenge tackles followed where he wasnt given a foul on him. Sarmiento really is another Angelino. Clearly a good footballer and loves to go forward and join in but I do have real doubts about his defensive stuff.. Positioning, tackling etc and it wasnt helped when he scored the og but that can happen and I need to see that on TV to see why it happened. Grimshaw hardly tested but he is a really cool customer with the ball at his feet.

Top win though and next a trip to either Derby or Wigan.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Thu Jan 14, 2016 10:46 pm

On a completely separate subject I just heard that Paul Clowes, ex City EDS has just joined DC United in the MLS for next season. A pro footballer at last after getting in through the superdraft or something which took place tonight. This after a great season at Clemson Uni where he got best midfielder of the season or something like that. Congrats Paul.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby CTID Hants » Sat Jan 16, 2016 1:52 pm

Wasn't sure where to put this, but the club have announced about an ago George Evans has been recalled from his loan spell. Was he playing CB or MF whilst on loan anyone know?
Born A Blue

CTID Hants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Postby iwasthere2012 » Sat Jan 16, 2016 6:35 pm

CTID Hants wrote:Wasn't sure where to put this, but the club have announced about an ago George Evans has been recalled from his loan spell. Was he playing CB or MF whilst on loan anyone know?

Good. Decent any time I've seen him.
What do the experts think. Will he go into the squad.
iwasthere2012
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva (was PabZab)

Postby craigmcfc » Sat Jan 16, 2016 8:37 pm

Going to Brentford is the rumour doing the rounds. Time will tell I guess.
craigmcfc
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Sergio Aguero

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Sat Jan 16, 2016 9:56 pm

craigmcfc wrote:Going to Brentford is the rumour doing the rounds. Time will tell I guess.

I hear he has signed a permanent deal with Reading and if so good luck to him. I hear he was at the match today.

A wonderful 2 years or so there and we can buy him back.Unlikely to happen but good luck George you deserve every success
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby craigmcfc » Sat Jan 16, 2016 10:55 pm

Douglas Higginbottom wrote:
craigmcfc wrote:Going to Brentford is the rumour doing the rounds. Time will tell I guess.

I hear he has signed a permanent deal with Reading and if so good luck to him. I hear he was at the match today.

A wonderful 2 years or so there and we can buy him back.Unlikely to happen but good luck George you deserve every success

Half expected the rumour to turn out wrong. Don't think we'll see him again but best of luck to the kid.
craigmcfc
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Sergio Aguero

Postby blues2win » Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:58 pm

Vieira says scrap Under 21s and have B teams. Gap between U21 and even Championship vast. He also says we need to be realistic about potential of Academy to crank out first teamers. 1-2 over next 5 years is his best guess and he knows what we've got better than anyone.
blues2win
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: david silva

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Fri Jan 22, 2016 11:38 pm

blues2win wrote:Vieira says scrap Under 21s and have B teams. Gap between U21 and even Championship vast. He also says we need to be realistic about potential of Academy to crank out first teamers. 1-2 over next 5 years is his best guess and he knows what we've got better than anyone.

He may be right but I think it might be more. I assume he is talking about real first teamers and not just a player getting the odd match here and there. It would be dissappointing to see so few as he is suggesting especially when we can see such talent coming through the youth teams at the moment. We just have to start getting them in and giving them chances.

Will Angelino actually play tomorrow or just be cover on the bench? I 100% expect the latter but watching the Spurs Leicester game in midweek we saw Chilwell at left back getting great reviews on commentary. I believe totally that Angelino in the same situation would get the same reaction. Energy, technically good on the ball, great left foot,quick etc etc.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby iwasthere2012 » Sat Jan 23, 2016 1:07 am

Douglas Higginbottom wrote:
blues2win wrote:Vieira says scrap Under 21s and have B teams. Gap between U21 and even Championship vast. He also says we need to be realistic about potential of Academy to crank out first teamers. 1-2 over next 5 years is his best guess and he knows what we've got better than anyone.

He may be right but I think it might be more. I assume he is talking about real first teamers and not just a player getting the odd match here and there. It would be dissappointing to see so few as he is suggesting especially when we can see such talent coming through the youth teams at the moment. We just have to start getting them in and giving them chances.

Will Angelino actually play tomorrow or just be cover on the bench? I 100% expect the latter but watching the Spurs Leicester game in midweek we saw Chilwell at left back getting great reviews on commentary. I believe totally that Angelino in the same situation would get the same reaction. Energy, technically good on the ball, great left foot,quick etc etc.

Genuine question Doug and any of the regulars that go to the Academy games.
Do you think the way we play at 18's and EDS level has it's draw backs when trying to break young players into the first team squad.
I know it shouldn't matter because I don't think game management is a particularly strong point with the first team, but one of the few criticisms I've had of our policy at those age levels is that when I've seen them, which is as much as I can see online only, I've loved the philosophy but have thought us to be a little naive for the age groups.
What I mean by that is, I think teaching the youth teams to be totally comfortable on the ball and play the City way is brilliant and perfect but at the transitional age groups we should be teaching them how to manage a game and survive at first team level.
I think half the reason why we are so slow to try our youth is that we don't have a first team that can yet play comfortably the kind of football that we are professing to be our academy philosophy and we have not worked out yet how the transitional period of integration should proceed.
We don't want to risk players in the first team that probably have the skills, but are used to playing an academy style that isn't so result driven.
Like I've said. I only see whatever I can online, but there have been quite a few players that I've thought could easily make it in the premiership, given the confidence.

Probably talking my usual Friday night shite, but....

Thoughts?
iwasthere2012
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby Wonderwall » Wed Jan 27, 2016 12:44 pm

CITY U18S to Play the Rags U18s today, kick of in 15 mins
Grimshaw, Duhaney, Oliver, Humphreys, Sarmiento, Davenport, Kongolo, Buckley, Dilrosun, Nmecha, Brahim.

SUBS: Haug, Kigbu, Wood, Patching, Fernandes

Looking at the above, it means that Tosin might make the bench tonight as CB cover
Wonderwall

Postby john@staustell » Wed Jan 27, 2016 12:59 pm

On paper this should be about 7-0 to City, so..........................
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: City

Postby Wonderwall » Wed Jan 27, 2016 1:24 pm

Utd CB just messed up, bad mistake let us in, last ditch foul, penalty, red card too.
Penalty despatched by Nmecha with ease
City 1-0 Rags
Wonderwall

Postby iwasthere2012 » Wed Jan 27, 2016 1:27 pm

Wonderwall wrote:Utd CB just messed up, bad mistake let us in, last ditch foul, penalty, red card too.
Penalty despatched by Nmecha with ease
City 1-0 Rags

Keep us posted WW.
iwasthere2012
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby john@staustell » Wed Jan 27, 2016 1:29 pm

There's this link but the RAG MUEN reporter updating it is clearly an idiot

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/ ... e-10794440
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: City

Postby Wonderwall » Wed Jan 27, 2016 1:35 pm

john@staustell wrote:There's this link but the RAG MUEN reporter updating it is clearly an idiot

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/ ... e-10794440

Should have had a second penalty, but the ref gave a free kick to Utd. However, the free kick award must have been for a dive, I didnt think it was a dive, but the ref didnt show a card either. Very strange refereeing. Utd camped in their own half, scared to come out and attack (understandably) . Ref giving us nothing since the sending off, I hate refs who pander to shouts and whinging players. Just play to the rules!!
Wonderwall

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum