EDS/Academy Games

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: EDS/Academy Games

Postby blues2win » Wed Aug 03, 2016 11:03 am

Brandon Barker and Keane Bryan off to Breda on loan.
blues2win
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: david silva

Postby blues2win » Wed Aug 03, 2016 11:28 am

And Celina off to Twente.
blues2win
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Postby CTID Hants » Wed Aug 03, 2016 2:54 pm

blues2win wrote:And Celina off to Twente.

SSN now reporting lone deal is off as they wouldn't meet his personal terms????

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/ ... ls-through
Born A Blue

CTID Hants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Postby blues2win » Wed Aug 03, 2016 4:20 pm

Yes. Celina's obviously pissed off with Sane's signing. Said he couldn't expect to be picked ahead of a 37 million player. Unfortunately Bersint isn't as good as Leroy, I'm afraid.
blues2win
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Thu Aug 04, 2016 1:58 pm

Under 19's going well in the Ruhr cup. Beat Monaco 2.1 , drew 1.1 with Schalke who equalised with a late penalty then beat Bayern 1 nil with a direct free kick from Fernandes
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby blues2win » Sun Aug 07, 2016 12:13 pm

U19s won Ruhr Cup Final 5-0. Brilliant lads. Individual performance winner Brahim. What a huge prospect he is.
blues2win
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Sun Aug 07, 2016 9:39 pm

Brahim player of the tournament, Nmecha golden boot for most goals and the team battering Liverpool and Dortmund in the semi and final. Just cannot wait to watch these guys and this years under 18's playing.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby nottsblue » Sun Aug 14, 2016 3:55 pm

So, the EDS lads playing out of their normal positions. Full backs in midfield, midfielders in defence and out wide, forwards dropping deep. Head scratching at the time but it suddenly it all makes sense now.

The next generation are already doing what the first team are now learning.
nottsblue
Colin Bell's Football Brain

My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Sun Aug 14, 2016 3:57 pm

nottsblue wrote:So, the EDS lads playing out of their normal positions. Full backs in midfield, midfielders in defence and out wide, forwards dropping deep. Head scratching at the time but it suddenly it all makes sense now.

Correct.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Cocacolajojo » Sun Aug 14, 2016 4:14 pm

nottsblue wrote:So, the EDS lads playing out of their normal positions. Full backs in midfield, midfielders in defence and out wide, forwards dropping deep. Head scratching at the time but it suddenly it all makes sense now.

Yes. Seeing one game with the EDS made me realize why we bought the Otter for example, although we saw Fern1 doing much of that work yesterday with the through balls.
Cocacolajojo
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Agüero

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Mon Aug 15, 2016 11:09 pm

First game in this new league for what is a very young side. here's the City report:

City began the first season of the new-look Premier League 2 with an end-to-end match on a zippy pitch in the heart of England’s National Football Centre.

It was Derby who looked most at ease in the early periods and they were nearly rewarded but midfielder Elsnik’s header was saved excellently by the powerful outstretched arm of Billy O’Brien.

O’Brien was in action again only moments later as he made a strong save low to his left from a 20-yard drive. However, the 20-year-old was powerless to stop the rebound as striker Charles Vernam fired home for the Rams.

The Blues spent the next ten minutes looking to control the midfield area and this dominance gave the silky running of midfielder Paolo Fernandes a platform to shine. The Spaniard picked the ball up on the edge of the box and weaved between two defenders but his powerful effort was saved well by Derby stopper Jonathan Mitchell for City’s biggest chance of the half.

Moments before the half-time whistle Charlie Oliver looked to start another attack from the middle of defence but his pass was intercepted and duly finished by Charles Vernam.

Early in the second period it was Fernandes who again looked the most threatening. This time his free-kick from 30 yards appeared to be dipping under the bar until Mitchell’s hand rose high to tip over and frustrate City.

As if to confound the bad feeling for the Blues, Derby earned a penalty only moments later. It wasn’t to be the end of City’s hopes though as Billy O’Brien’s trailing right leg deflected Callum Guy’s spot kick over the bar.

That proved to be the crucial moment as City went straight on the attack. First, Lukas Nmecha’s strike from a tight angle went underneath Mitchell then, after a period of sustained pressure, Aaron Nemane linked with Nmecha and found himself one-on-one with the goalkeeper. The winger remained cool and fired into the opposite corner.

The comeback was complete minutes later as excellent build-up play down the right between Kongolo and substitute Demeaco Duhaney led to simple tap-in for the lethal Lukas Nmecha.
What it means...

City, largely made up of last season’s U18 Premier League winners, begin their U23 Premier League 2 campaign with a hard-earned victory.

Simon Davies’ side will be looking to carry their second half form on when they face Arsenal at the Etihad Stadium on Friday night.
Key moment...

Football is about fine margins and it was only by the width of Billy O’Brien’s shin that City remained in this particular match early in the second half.

The goalkeeper faced up to Derby’s Callum Guy with the score at 2-0 and seemed to have dived past the ball but his outstretched leg guided the ball to safety and gave City the boost they needed to claw themselves back into the game.
Man of the match...

Billy O’Brien – The goalkeeper is an experienced head in comparison to much of the current side and the Blues needed his voice as the match seemed to be getting away from them.

As well as a superb penalty save, O’Brien’s footwork enabled the Blues to build from the back and the 20-year-old remained a loud and supportive presence for his teammates throughout.
How they lined up...

Despite a host of new names at this level for the Blues, they adopted the familiar 4-3-3 formation.

Billy O’Brien took up his position in goal fresh from the pre-season tour of Munich and China. Fellow traveller James Horsfield started at right-back alongside a centre-back pairing of Cameron Humphreys and Charlie Oliver with Marcus Wood at left-back.

Jacob Davenport sat slightly deeper than fellow midfielders Rodney Kongolo and Paolo Fernandes, who were looking to be key creative forces for the pacey front three of Aaron Nemane, Javairo Dilrosun and central striker Lukas Nmecha.

Note that the next game is on Friday at the Etihad so GET ON DOWN THERE if you can. Much better than any other Friday night you might have planned.

Not quite sure what was going wrong to be 2 down and nearly 3 but fantastic to have the character and ability to come back and win the game. Fernandes seems to have started the season in good form but I am getting the feeling Lucas Nmecha is going to stand out this season with his goals. Golden Boot in the Ruhr tourney we just won and 2 goals and assist in this first game. Really looking forward the game against the Arse on Friday night
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby iwasthere2012 » Mon Aug 15, 2016 11:20 pm

Good report Doug. Very encouraging to hear of the character to come back.
Are we the only team that is going to play their U18's or will others do similar?
Will be interesting to see what the likes of Chelsea will do.
iwasthere2012
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva (was PabZab)

Postby nottsblue » Tue Aug 16, 2016 7:46 am

Perhaps just as well we aren't in the FL cup (old Johnstones Paint Trophy) as the under 18s against League 1 and 2 sides would be a mismatch and possibly dent their confidence. As well as likely getting kicked all over the park.
nottsblue

Postby craigmcfc » Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:31 am

Manu Garcia has gone on a season long loan to Deportivo Alaves.
craigmcfc
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Sergio Aguero

Postby Mikhail Chigorin » Tue Aug 16, 2016 5:29 pm

Thanks Mr H, I enjoyed reading that.

Do you have any information as to how Cameron Humphreys performed ??
Mikhail Chigorin
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

My favourite player is: Bert Trautmann

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Tue Aug 16, 2016 11:56 pm

Mikhail Chigorin wrote:Thanks Mr H, I enjoyed reading that.

That report was straight from the official site. I didn't get to the game and will have to ask someone that did ::))
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Mikhail Chigorin » Wed Aug 17, 2016 7:05 am

Douglas Higginbottom wrote:
Mikhail Chigorin wrote:Thanks Mr H, I enjoyed reading that.

That report was straight from the official site. I didn't get to the game and will have to ask someone that did ::))

Cheers Mr H.
Mikhail Chigorin
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

My favourite player is: Bert Trautmann

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:02 pm

EDS V Arsenal tomorrow at the Etihad. Get there
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby nottsblue » Fri Aug 19, 2016 6:56 pm

Douglas Higginbottom wrote:EDS V Arsenal tomorrow at the Etihad. Get there

We are winning 1-0 at half time. Sorry, don't know the scorer, just seen the score on Betfair
nottsblue

Postby craigmcfc » Fri Aug 19, 2016 6:58 pm

nottsblue wrote:
Douglas Higginbottom wrote:EDS V Arsenal tomorrow at the Etihad. Get there

We are winning 1-0 at half time. Sorry, don't know the scorer, just seen the score on Betfair

Rodney Kongolo
craigmcfc
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Sergio Aguero

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum