EDS/Academy Games

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: EDS/Academy Games

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Sun Aug 14, 2022 8:41 pm

Fairly easy win 3.1 today against Leicester in the sweltering heat. Similar side to last week but Edozie injured so Wilson Esbrand replaced him and 2 goal Mebude was on the bench as center forward Ogwuru.

WEsbrand didnt do much in a wide forward role and neither did Ogwuru at center forward. Mainly becuase Leicester played like an away side looking not to concede. Not much coming forward but organised and hard working. Most likely threat was when Bobb got on the ball and if we could get Borges involved more.

In the end it was a perfect long ball from Finley Burns to the flying Borges that brought the goal. A must see on the City website he took the ball on the run raced at the keeper and slid it home. They lost a player through a bad injury and we ended with 15 minutes of first half injury time. In that Larios lost the ball poorly and they broke for a shot going probably nowhere took a deflection and looped in.

the second half was mostly City and the 2 goals were Bobb inspired. Nice little through ball to Mebude who took it well low past the keeper. He had only been on a few minutes.Then a corner was played well outside the area but the chip in was knocked across by Bobb and Katongo took a touch and fired home.

Rico Lewis played the full game after his little cameo v Bournmouth. Very bright on the ball and going forward but i need to see more tests of his defensive abilities. Got caught out a couple of times today but i think he is only 17. The heat took its toll late in the match as City kept the ball and it felt like Leicester hadnt go the energy or desire to fight hard
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby nottsblue » Sun Aug 14, 2022 9:01 pm

Douglas Higginbottom wrote:Fairly easy win 3.1 today against Leicester in the sweltering heat. Similar side to last week but Edozie injured so Wilson Esbrand replaced him and 2 goal Mebude was on the bench as center forward Ogwuru.

WEsbrand didnt do much in a wide forward role and neither did Ogwuru at center forward. Mainly becuase Leicester played like an away side looking not to concede. Not much coming forward but organised and hard working. Most likely threat was when Bobb got on the ball and if we could get Borges involved more.

In the end it was a perfect long ball from Finley Burns to the flying Borges that brought the goal. A must see on the City website he took the ball on the run raced at the keeper and slid it home. They lost a player through a bad injury and we ended with 15 minutes of first half injury time. In that Larios lost the ball poorly and they broke for a shot going probably nowhere took a deflection and looped in.

the second half was mostly City and the 2 goals were Bobb inspired. Nice little through ball to Mebude who took it well low past the keeper. He had only been on a few minutes.Then a corner was played well outside the area but the chip in was knocked across by Bobb and Katongo took a touch and fired home.

Rico Lewis played the full game after his little cameo v Bournmouth. Very bright on the ball and going forward but i need to see more tests of his defensive abilities. Got caught out a couple of times today but i think he is only 17. The heat took its toll late in the match as City kept the ball and it felt like Leicester hadnt go the energy or desire to fight hard

Cheers Doug

Hope you're back to stay and keep on reporting. It's great to hear these reports on the next generation and wondering who might the next bright thing may be
nottsblue
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby johnny crossan » Wed Aug 17, 2022 7:20 pm

Watching McAtee for Sheff Utd v Sunderland on Sky just now - playing well so far :D
EDIT - just left for dead as 10 man Sunderland (he won the red card tho') pull one back 2-1. Got subbed soon after, Tommy Doyle didn't get off the bench.
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Wed Aug 24, 2022 10:24 am

I assume most of you will have seen the game on Sunday either of City+ or actually at the academy stadium but it was against Spurs and ended in a nil nil draw.

Not too special from the result but overall a good result as we were down to 10 towards the end of the first half. A poor decision from the erf imo as our defender ,Katongo, did trip the Spurs guy as he pushed the ball passed him on the edge of the box but it seemed to me the ball would have gone through to the keeper. Therefore it wasnt denying and obvious goalscoring opportunity.

The game itself was a fairly even contest and I thought City were the most likelt winners as the game went on. Borges and Mebude were our real threats again and both came close to scoring. Both are so quick they frighten any defence. The team organised well with a man down and I think our full backs (Galvez and Larios) doing very well defensively as well as getting forward well to prompt attacks. Both small but full of energy and pace.

Keeper ,Mikki van Sas, looks decent too and another clean sheet cant be bad with 10 men against one of the better sides in the league.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Wonderwall » Thu Aug 25, 2022 11:07 am

Douglas Higginbottom wrote:I assume most of you will have seen the game on Sunday either of City+ or actually at the academy stadium but it was against Spurs and ended in a nil nil draw.

Not too special from the result but overall a good result as we were down to 10 towards the end of the first half. A poor decision from the erf imo as our defender ,Katongo, did trip the Spurs guy as he pushed the ball passed him on the edge of the box but it seemed to me the ball would have gone through to the keeper. Therefore it wasnt denying and obvious goalscoring opportunity.

The game itself was a fairly even contest and I thought City were the most likelt winners as the game went on. Borges and Mebude were our real threats again and both came close to scoring. Both are so quick they frighten any defence. The team organised well with a man down and I think our full backs (Galvez and Larios) doing very well defensively as well as getting forward well to prompt attacks. Both small but full of energy and pace.

Keeper ,Mikki van Sas, looks decent too and another clean sheet cant be bad with 10 men against one of the better sides in the league.

Cheers Doug, from what I read we were much the better side quality wise
Wonderwall

Supporter of: Gods own team

Postby johnny crossan » Thu Aug 25, 2022 7:59 pm

The Barcelona game didn't provide many opportunities for the youngsters to make a mark. Mbete was extemely unlucky to be on the end of others' mistakes before being flattened and Lewis & Esbrand often got outmuscled. Goal aside Palmer was pretty quiet too plus Oscar only got a few minutes.
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby nottsblue » Fri Aug 26, 2022 7:37 pm

2-1 up away at Chelsea
nottsblue

My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby johnny crossan » Fri Aug 26, 2022 7:38 pm

Can't believe the Chavs have 30 yr old Marcus Bettinelli in goal in the curreny EDS U21 game - he's saved them ten times at least and their lot might well end up nicking this game curently 2-2 :shock:
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby johnny crossan » Fri Aug 26, 2022 8:05 pm

McAtee pulled in Sheff Utd v Luton, on a yellow - replaced by Tommy Doyle! Blades losing 1-0, edit Tommy just got an assist to an assist 1-1 :D
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Fri Aug 26, 2022 9:29 pm

johnny crossan wrote:Can't believe the Chavs have 30 yr old Marcus Bettinelli in goal in the curreny EDS U21 game - he's saved them ten times at least and their lot might well end up nicking this game curently 2-2 :shock:

He did have a very good game didn't he although with the chances we had we should have won easily.. Mebude missing the best of them and I would have had him as our best finisher. I reckon Delap would have had a hat trick tonight.

The good thing is the lads played some great football against a much more experienced team. I reckon the full backs Larios and Galvez did well, Shea Charles is looking quite assured in the holding role and Burns at center back is doing a good job. If Mbete goes on loan to Huddersfield, Burns will be the only possible under 21 we have left to move into the senior squad if we have a run of injuries.

30 year old playing for Chelsea and 35 year old Huddlestone came on for the rags under 21's against Fulham. How crazy is that!
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Thu Sep 01, 2022 10:48 pm

Quite a clear out we've had. Doesnt look at all like City are bothered about the PL2 after winning it 2 seasons in a row.
Mbete off on loan and now Edozie and Larios off to Southampton to join Lavia and Bazunu. Gomes to Palermo

Mcatee and Doyle already at Sheff U , Delap at Stoke. There was talk of Mebude going as he isnt signing a contract but i think we held onto him but even so we will be a very young EDS side and down on numbers. It will fascinating to see who steps up and whether we can still be competitive at the top end of the table.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby johnny crossan » Fri Sep 02, 2022 6:44 am

Douglas Higginbottom wrote:Quite a clear out we've had. Doesnt look at all like City are bothered about the PL2 after winning it 2 seasons in a row.
Mbete off on loan and now Edozie and Larios off to Southampton to join Lavia and Bazunu. Gomes to Palermo

Mcatee and Doyle already at Sheff U , Delap at Stoke. There was talk of Mebude going as he isnt signing a contract but i think we held onto him but even so we will be a very young EDS side and down on numbers. It will fascinating to see who steps up and whether we can still be competitive at the top end of the table.
Perhaps Wilson-Esbrand and Lewis will play regularly now we've strengthened the first team squad. Maybe there are more departures in the pipeline for the older lads like Knight & Rogers though.
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Fri Sep 02, 2022 9:35 pm

I had forgotten all about Rogers!! Decisions will depend on when the EDS play. Some will just need playing time but its hard to do if the game is the same or next day as a first team game where some will be in the squad. Will just have to wait and see
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Tue Sep 06, 2022 10:30 am

City under 19's away at Sevilla and a decent first half. On City+ of course. 1.1 at half time after Sevilla scored first and we got the equaliser on 45 minutes through Borges. Nice little touch from O'Riley (that spelling doesn't look right) to give him the chance.

Overall it was fairly even. Their goal was a scruffy one from a corner where Dickson had a chance to head the ball clear but only helped it on only to be returned with anothet two headers and scrambled in.We got more and more into the game with Charles and Bobb getting more of midfield and Borges always the most likely up front with his pace.

Somehow though we just don't seem lively enough or with good movement. Dickson a bit static as a number 9, Mebude not having much joy against his full back but at least defensively we have been reasonably secure. one bad moment when the keeper Van Sas gave the ball away.

The worry for me is their captain and number 10 (Maradona like) who is very good on the ball and looks like he will make something happen.. We will do well to keep him quiet for the next 45
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Tue Sep 06, 2022 11:54 am

Well that ended well. 5.1 in the end with a hat trick for Borges , 1 for Mebude and 1 for Dickson. The half started well with City in full control and Borges getting plenty of the ball and causing real problems. Very little going the other way and the important thing as ever was to score while on top.

Borges in the middle caused the problem which led to Mebude's cool finish. Then it was a nice goal from Dickson with slick passing finally from Borges, then 2 more from Borges to finish it off. Borges is super fast and on his day can look very special indeed but is he first team material. He needs to get a chance in a cup game to give us a better idea.

Sevilla just disappeared as a team after half time and the only way they threatened at all was from City mistakes and Van Sas in goal made a few. Plenty of bookings around but worse for Sevilla was a red for a silly reaction on Mebude who himself was a bit naughty with a couple of challenges but only got one yellow.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby blues2win » Wed Sep 14, 2022 4:00 pm

Wow. Two late goals enable City to get all three points against Borussia Dortmund. Final score City 3 Borussia 2.
blues2win
Bert Trautmann's Neck

My favourite player is: david silva

Postby johnny crossan » Wed Sep 14, 2022 4:27 pm

blues2win wrote:Wow. Two late goals enable City to get all three points against Borussia Dortmund. Final score City 3 Borussia 2.

Quite a few lads had an off day - we should have put the tie to bed in first half with trhe chances made. Quite an unpleasant German coach too - not very surprising though I suppose - pleasing to see his wailing at the ref when the game finished.
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby CTID Hants » Wed Sep 14, 2022 5:58 pm

blues2win wrote:Wow. Two late goals enable City to get all three points against Borussia Dortmund. Final score City 3 Borussia 2.

Wow, i popped into to see the score on 87 minute's when we were 1-2 down , great we pulled it back...
Born A Blue

CTID Hants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Postby blues2win » Wed Sep 14, 2022 7:53 pm

Surely Phil has to come on. Alvarez for Mahrez, Phil for Grealish? Get them up the pitch where they can threaten.
blues2win
Bert Trautmann's Neck

My favourite player is: david silva

Postby johnny crossan » Wed Sep 14, 2022 7:56 pm

blues2win wrote:Surely Phil has to come on. Alvarez for Mahrez, Phil for Grealish? Get them up the pitch where they can threaten.
I think they could definitely do a job with the kids too :lol: :lol:
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum