EDS/Academy Games

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: EDS/Academy Games

Postby mr_nool » Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:10 pm

Thanks for the input gents!

I don't watch enough youth games to have a strong opinion regarding this, but I found it quite remarkable if those really were the words of Pep.
Intelligent Vigilant Person
User avatar
mr_nool
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Roberto Mancini's Scarf
 
Posts: 20583
Joined: Fri Jul 21, 2006 8:48 am
Location: Utrecht

Re: EDS/Academy Games

Postby Mikhail Chigorin » Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:09 pm

mr_nool wrote:After quite a few games with the EDS and U18 where we've beem bullied by a more physical side, have been tactically naive, or have failed to close the game down, some people on here have been (gently) questioning the philosophy of the academy of mainly playing to educate, not to win.[color=#40FF00] Parallels have been drawn to the rag sides who do everything to win and hence "breed winners".
[/color]
I always thought these reactions were somewhat exaggerated, but I just listened to the latest 93:20 podcast with graham Hunter, and something he said sort of made me change my mind. He said that Pep has expressed that he's really happy with the technical ability and the quality of the kids coming through our academy, but that he has a hard time promoting them because they lack winner's mentality and a desire to do whatever it takes to succeed.

So, have we tried to emulate Barca the last few years, but forgotten about the most important aspect: creating winners?


The Scum certainly do do everything to win and "breed winners".

In their repertoire for this purpose, they have the diving skills of Ashley Young and his ilk just for starters. It was also admitted a while ago that FergusScum created a culture of players surrounding the referee at every decision, to browbeat the official and ensure all decisions went their way.....and this is just a couple of examples.

To my mind, this kind of conduct is the 'Yooonited way' and, in trying to inculcate a winning mentality, I don't want City to go down that particular route. As a Club, we are far better than such grubby, nefarious and distasteful practices.
Mikhail Chigorin
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals
 
Posts: 7385
Joined: Sat Nov 13, 2010 5:37 pm
Location: Lost in the variations of the King's Gambit
Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Bert Trautmann

Re: EDS/Academy Games

Postby Wonderwall » Tue Jun 20, 2017 5:51 pm

Confirmed Tosin signs a 4 year contract with us

Phew
User avatar
Wonderwall
Colin Bell's Football Brain
 
Posts: 28639
Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2005 2:58 pm
Location: Sale
Supporter of: Gods own team

Re: EDS/Academy Games

Postby johnny crossan » Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:26 pm

Wonderwall wrote:Confirmed Tosin signs a 4 year contract with us

Phew

I am disappointed you didn't PM me after you strangled my celebrations a week ago :(
Image
User avatar
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser
 
Posts: 4232
Joined: Sat Aug 09, 2008 8:25 am
Location: The Barcelona of The North
Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Eddy

Re: EDS/Academy Games

Postby nottsblue » Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:15 pm

nottsblue
Bert Trautmann's Neck
 
Posts: 12083
Joined: Sat Oct 05, 2013 5:17 pm
Location: Nottingham
Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Re: EDS/Academy Games

Postby CTID Hants » Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:39 pm

nottsblue wrote:http://bbc.in/2rA2hEw


I saw summat about some bloke from Sheffield Wednesday academy coming to us (reported by Sheffield local paper). Not sure if it's to replace him or not though?
Born A Blue

Image
User avatar
CTID Hants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets
 
Posts: 5626
Joined: Fri Dec 16, 2005 1:33 pm
Location: Farnborough, Hampshire

Re: EDS/Academy Games

Postby CTID Hants » Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:44 pm

Scratch that, it's a bloke called Dean Ramsdale and he's joining the academy scouting team lol
Born A Blue

Image
User avatar
CTID Hants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets
 
Posts: 5626
Joined: Fri Dec 16, 2005 1:33 pm
Location: Farnborough, Hampshire

Re: EDS/Academy Games

Postby Wonderwall » Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:06 pm

johnny crossan wrote:
Wonderwall wrote:Confirmed Tosin signs a 4 year contract with us

Phew

I am disappointed you didn't PM me after you strangled my celebrations a week ago :(



My apologies JC. You had an ITK scoop and I ruined it. My bad.
User avatar
Wonderwall
Colin Bell's Football Brain
 
Posts: 28639
Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2005 2:58 pm
Location: Sale
Supporter of: Gods own team

Re: EDS/Academy Games

Postby Nigels Tackle » Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:56 pm

CTID Hants wrote:
nottsblue wrote:http://bbc.in/2rA2hEw


I saw summat about some bloke from Sheffield Wednesday academy coming to us (reported by Sheffield local paper). Not sure if it's to replace him or not though?


blueboylewis is applying
GREAT POST!!!!!!!!!!
Nigels Tackle
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal
 
Posts: 11054
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2007 7:57 pm
Location: here, there, every fucking where
Supporter of: man love
My favourite player is: mike mason liam lingo

Re: EDS/Academy Games

Postby CTID Hants » Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:03 pm

Nigels Tackle wrote:
CTID Hants wrote:
nottsblue wrote:http://bbc.in/2rA2hEw


I saw summat about some bloke from Sheffield Wednesday academy coming to us (reported by Sheffield local paper). Not sure if it's to replace him or not though?


blueboylewis is applying
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Good to see your sense of humour returning NT
Born A Blue

Image
User avatar
CTID Hants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets
 
Posts: 5626
Joined: Fri Dec 16, 2005 1:33 pm
Location: Farnborough, Hampshire

Re: EDS/Academy Games

Postby CTID Hants » Fri Jun 30, 2017 4:11 pm

Manu Garcia confirmed another year at NAC Breda

& Hearts have announced an agreement to sign left-back Ashley Smith-Brown (21) on a season-long loan from Manchester City.

(also posted in transfer done deals as not everyone comes in EDS thread)
Born A Blue

Image
User avatar
CTID Hants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets
 
Posts: 5626
Joined: Fri Dec 16, 2005 1:33 pm
Location: Farnborough, Hampshire

Re: EDS/Academy Games

Postby CTID Hants » Fri Jun 30, 2017 4:29 pm

Jason Wilcox is the new interim academy director at City following Mark Allen's departure
Born A Blue

Image
User avatar
CTID Hants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets
 
Posts: 5626
Joined: Fri Dec 16, 2005 1:33 pm
Location: Farnborough, Hampshire

Re: EDS/Academy Games

Postby iwasthere2012 » Tue Jul 04, 2017 12:59 pm

Eric Garcia (another one) has been signed for €2m from La Masia accademy. Supposed to be the brightest CB prospect at Barca. Pep recommended personally.

Anyone hear anything about this?

We're now taking from Barca as Puyol, his agent, reckons the City Academy project is better.
Times are changing at Barca.
Image
iwasthere2012
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals
 
Posts: 7112
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:14 pm
Location: Dublin
Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Pablo Zabaleta

Re: EDS/Academy Games

Postby CTID Hants » Tue Jul 04, 2017 1:51 pm

iwasthere2012 wrote:Eric Garcia (another one) has been signed for €2m from La Masia accademy. Supposed to be the brightest CB prospect at Barca. Pep recommended personally.

Anyone hear anything about this?

We're now taking from Barca as Puyol, his agent, reckons the City Academy project is better.
Times are changing at Barca.


Welcome back IWT (holibobs?)

Recommended personally by Pep? Reports I read yesterday had Pep quoted as saying he hadn't seen him play yet?

But yes good that the academy is out favouring the likes of Barça!!
Born A Blue

Image
User avatar
CTID Hants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets
 
Posts: 5626
Joined: Fri Dec 16, 2005 1:33 pm
Location: Farnborough, Hampshire

Re: EDS/Academy Games

Postby iwasthere2012 » Tue Jul 04, 2017 2:59 pm

CTID Hants wrote:
iwasthere2012 wrote:Eric Garcia (another one) has been signed for €2m from La Masia accademy. Supposed to be the brightest CB prospect at Barca. Pep recommended personally.

Anyone hear anything about this?

We're now taking from Barca as Puyol, his agent, reckons the City Academy project is better.
Times are changing at Barca.


Welcome back IWT (holibobs?)

Recommended personally by Pep? Reports I read yesterday had Pep quoted as saying he hadn't seen him play yet?

But yes good that the academy is out favouring the likes of Barça!!


Yeah. Portugal's Silver Coast. Very laid back. Nothing but surfing along the entire coast. Didn't want to think about football at all.
Image
iwasthere2012
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals
 
Posts: 7112
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:14 pm
Location: Dublin
Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Pablo Zabaleta

Re: EDS/Academy Games

Postby iwasthere2012 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 2:25 pm

https://twitter.com/NTingwell/status/884447920312864768

Like the fact Pep is very familiar with Phil Foden.
I'd love to see that lad get a chance with us.
Image
iwasthere2012
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals
 
Posts: 7112
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:14 pm
Location: Dublin
Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Pablo Zabaleta

Re: EDS/Academy Games

Postby nottsblue » Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:29 pm

Lukas Nmecha scores a 93rd minute back heeled winner to send England under 19s through to the final where they will face Portugal
nottsblue
Bert Trautmann's Neck
 
Posts: 12083
Joined: Sat Oct 05, 2013 5:17 pm
Location: Nottingham
Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Re: EDS/Academy Games

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:44 pm

iwasthere2012 wrote:https://twitter.com/NTingwell/status/884447920312864768

Like the fact Pep is very familiar with Phil Foden.
I'd love to see that lad get a chance with us.



Would be very surprised if he didn't.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash
 
Posts: 10099
Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:42 pm

Re: EDS/Academy Games

Postby iwasthere2012 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:41 pm

Douglas Higginbottom wrote:
iwasthere2012 wrote:https://twitter.com/NTingwell/status/884447920312864768

Like the fact Pep is very familiar with Phil Foden.
I'd love to see that lad get a chance with us.



Would be very surprised if he didn't.

Familiar yes. But I mean jokey playful in a fatherly non creepy kind of way.

I'm sure Pep is well aware of the skill in the academy.
Image
iwasthere2012
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals
 
Posts: 7112
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:14 pm
Location: Dublin
Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Pablo Zabaleta

Re: EDS/Academy Games

Postby nottsblue » Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:01 pm

nottsblue wrote:Lukas Nmecha scores a 93rd minute back heeled winner to send England under 19s through to the final where they will face Portugal

Has now scored the winner in the final. England win 2-1. Well done
nottsblue
Bert Trautmann's Neck
 
Posts: 12083
Joined: Sat Oct 05, 2013 5:17 pm
Location: Nottingham
Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], city72, Dameerto, Google [Bot], Justified logic, Nigels Tackle, Sister of fu, Sparklehorse, Yahoo Slurp [Bot] and 52 guests