EDS/Academy Games

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: EDS/Academy Games

Postby Ted Hughes » Tue Mar 03, 2015 12:05 pm

Douglas Higginbottom wrote:An interesting aside from last night.I got there early and watched all the warm up stuff but even before the lads came out I watched Wilcox knocking a ball around with a few lads who were very young , maybe 11 or 12 and he was firing the ball at them to see how their control and first touch was. The result was generally excellent. Quality control or class first time cushioned passes.

The same lads stayed out there when the team came out and participated with them in some of the warm up bits. Good to see.

Here's a question:

That team last night played with five creative players, all piling forward whenever possible, pressing etc.

If Vieira had been in charge, would he also have played that way, or would he have put Marcus Wood alongside Bryan ?
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Tue Mar 03, 2015 12:13 pm

Ted Hughes wrote:
Douglas Higginbottom wrote:An interesting aside from last night.I got there early and watched all the warm up stuff but even before the lads came out I watched Wilcox knocking a ball around with a few lads who were very young , maybe 11 or 12 and he was firing the ball at them to see how their control and first touch was. The result was generally excellent. Quality control or class first time cushioned passes.

The same lads stayed out there when the team came out and participated with them in some of the warm up bits. Good to see.

Here's a question:

That team last night played with five creative players, all piling forward whenever possible, pressing etc.

If Vieira had been in charge, would he also have played that way, or would he have put Marcus Wood alongside Bryan ?

I think Vieira would have done the same. Maybe we will see on Friday when we play Fulham (under 21's isn't it but with many of the same players). I assume we will see Glendon in the holding role but just not sure who the rest will be. Maybe Ntcham,Pozo,Byrne,Ambrose and Barker.If it is that lot the question will be mostly about Byrne and whether he sits as well or has attacking freedom.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Ted Hughes » Tue Mar 03, 2015 12:45 pm

You are probably right, but I was more impressed with that particular lineup yesterday than anything I've seen so far. When I saw the team sheet, I thought Kean Bryan was in for a hell of a night, but it just shows what you can do, if your attacking players are willing to all put the effort in & there are no passengers.

The FA website shows that the 1st Semi Finals of the Youth Cup are supposed to be played this week, with Saturday the last date. Presumably it doesn't apply to City, due to the Crewe game being late, but with the Champions League game coming up soon, as well as the U18s & EDS league games, there will need to be some juggling, to make sure the best players are fresh for the big games.

I thought Barker looked so much fitter last night wheras he has looked a bit tired recently. Need them all on that level.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Sideshow Bob » Tue Mar 03, 2015 2:16 pm

would barker have broken through by now at another club? i have my doubts but haven't seen enough of him to be certain.
Sideshow Bob
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Jonny Evans

Postby Ted Hughes » Tue Mar 03, 2015 3:12 pm

Sideshow Bob wrote:would barker have broken through by now at another club? i have my doubts but haven't seen enough of him to be certain.

I don't think any of them would have 'broken through' as such, not as regular reliable first teamers. But one or two may have given moments of excitement, maybe even turned a game.

I think if they'd been playing for the rags under Ferguson for example, the fans who follow the first team would have seen quite a few of them in action by now. Even if that was only ten minutes here & there, & they played shit & various miserable, cloth capped, cunts were left saying "ah don't see what all't fuss is abowt ' still at least they would have been given a taste of proper first team football. Then they know what is needed & feel they are involved.

I fully understand the various reasons behind Pellegrini not doing it, but I don't agree with any of them.

I want to see several involved next season, especially in the cup games. If any make an impact, I want to see them used where possible in preference to some of the usual faces. Every squad next season should have some kids in it imo.

If I don't see it happening then I would prefer us to have a manager that will do it. But that also depends on instructions from the top allowing the manager some leeway.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby sheblue » Tue Mar 03, 2015 3:25 pm

There should be one or two on the bench tomorrow. But there is no chance of it happening. None whatsoever. Were stuck in a stubborn quagmire.
sheblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: city
My favourite player is: silva

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Tue Mar 03, 2015 3:45 pm

sheblue wrote:There should be one or two on the bench tomorrow. But there is no chance of it happening. None whatsoever. Were stuck in a stubborn quagmire.

The 21's have a game on Friday afternoon where I guess most of the "likely" players will play a full game so yes unlikely to be in the squad for Leicester as we have a fully fit squad.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Wonderwall » Tue Mar 03, 2015 3:51 pm

Douglas Higginbottom wrote:
sheblue wrote:There should be one or two on the bench tomorrow. But there is no chance of it happening. None whatsoever. Were stuck in a stubborn quagmire.

The 21's have a game on Friday afternoon where I guess most of the "likely" players will play a full game so yes unlikely to be in the squad for Leicester as we have a fully fit squad.

also unless the date changes, we have a semi final on saturday evening at the minihad?

Sideshow Bob wrote:would barker have broken through by now at another club? i have my doubts but haven't seen enough of him to be certain.

If this was Pearce and 2007, they would be better than the first team ;-)
Wonderwall

Supporter of: Gods own team

Postby Wonderwall » Tue Mar 03, 2015 3:55 pm

Wonderwall wrote:
Douglas Higginbottom wrote:

also unless the date changes, we have a semi final on saturday evening at the minihad?

If this was Pearce and 2007, they would be better than the first team ;-)

MCFCHELP just replied to my earlier question.

Wonderwall

Postby Sideshow Bob » Tue Mar 03, 2015 4:01 pm

Ted Hughes wrote:

I don't think any of them would have 'broken through' as such, not as regular reliable first teamers. But one or two may have given moments of excitement, maybe even turned a game.

I think if they'd been playing for the rags under Ferguson for example, the fans who follow the first team would have seen quite a few of them in action by now. Even if that was only ten minutes here & there, & they played shit & various miserable, cloth capped, cunts were left saying "ah don't see what all't fuss is abowt ' still at least they would have been given a taste of proper first team football. Then they know what is needed & feel they are involved.

I fully understand the various reasons behind Pellegrini not doing it, but I don't agree with any of them.

I want to see several involved next season, especially in the cup games. If any make an impact, I want to see them used where possible in preference to some of the usual faces. Every squad next season should have some kids in it imo.

If I don't see it happening then I would prefer us to have a manager that will do it. But that also depends on instructions from the top allowing the manager some leeway.

how much does pelle even think about the EDS. does he go to training or matches? does he get briefed by paddy V? from the outside looking in, there appears to be a large disconnect between EDS and first team. using EDS like a purgatory for wayne bridge, tevez, Sinclair etc. prob doesn't help the perception either. if i were a talented kid i'd have to think long and hard before signing for city under this regime. sad.
Sideshow Bob
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

My favourite player is: Jonny Evans

Postby Ted Hughes » Tue Mar 03, 2015 4:13 pm

Sideshow Bob wrote:
Ted Hughes wrote:

how much does pelle even think about the EDS. does he go to training or matches? does he get briefed by paddy V? from the outside looking in, there appears to be a large disconnect between EDS and first team. using EDS like a purgatory for wayne bridge, tevez, Sinclair etc. prob doesn't help the perception either. if i were a talented kid i'd have to think long and hard before signing for city under this regime. sad.

Yeah, can't fault him as far as taking an interest is concerned. He has been at plenty of games & regularly has them training with the first team. Same with Txiki, Marwood, even Khaldoon.

I would be surprised if the Count wasn't there watching from the posh indoor areas last night. He can watch games without being seen now. And they film everything.

It's all spot on, apart from the fact that none are getting game time. It's understandable when you see the ridiculous reaction to us being Champions, 2nd in the league in a season where we have been handicapped by UEFA, & the media making out we are going to hell in a handcart. But it's still not a good enough reason imo, nor is the one that they are too young. We have seen young skinny kids playing in this league back when it was tough.

But there is little excuse not to try some of these kids next season. They will be physically stronger, they are quick, clever, hardworking & talented.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby twosips » Tue Mar 03, 2015 4:26 pm

Read this a few weeks ago and I actually found it a tad concerning.

Interview with Maffeo and the bit that jumped out to me was him saying that despite training with the first team Pellegrini doesn't speak to them.

http://www.viewfromablue.com/2015/02/18 ... hold-back/

I can't pretend I like that disconnection. It implies the kids are only there to make up the numbers in training, which though technically sometimes may be true, isn't really the message to send out.
twosips
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: mcfc

Postby Ted Hughes » Tue Mar 03, 2015 4:36 pm

I don't see a problem there tbh. He says the Count is nice to them & treats them well. They are Vieira's players until they are moved up.

It might be they are not moved up properly until the Count has gone.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Wonderwall » Tue Mar 03, 2015 6:10 pm

twosips wrote:Read this a few weeks ago and I actually found it a tad concerning.

Interview with Maffeo and the bit that jumped out to me was him saying that despite training with the first team Pellegrini doesn't speak to them.

http://www.viewfromablue.com/2015/02/18 ... hold-back/

I can't pretend I like that disconnection. It implies the kids are only there to make up the numbers in training, which though technically sometimes may be true, isn't really the message to send out.

A programme on TV about the Liverpool academy was saying they dont even train with the first team. However, depending on the type of sessions The Brodge is putting in, he will send for 4 or 5 academy players to make up the numbers and they get a bus from Kirkby to the Melwood training ground at 9.30 am.
Wonderwall

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Tue Mar 03, 2015 6:54 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SgocVSj ... e=youtu.be

Hope this works so you can enjoy the goals from last night. ( courtesy of Crewe)

Doesn't seem to work but it did when I watched it from a BMoon post.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby freshie » Tue Mar 03, 2015 11:48 pm

freshie
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby Peter Doherty (AGAIG) » Wed Mar 04, 2015 12:47 am

freshie wrote:http://youtu.be/9UOFmTxypPc

Thanks.
Peter Doherty (AGAIG)
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

My favourite player is: Johan Cruyff

Postby iwasthere2012 » Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:18 pm

Mentionedit in the This Week's Other Games thread, but probably more appropriate here. Spurs v Chelsea Youth Cup Semi-final first leg on ITV4 at the moment. It's been all Chelsea, but Spurs should have been 1-0 up.
Chelsea look strong.
iwasthere2012
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva (was PabZab)

Postby iwasthere2012 » Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:29 pm

1-0 Spurs against run of play. Bradley Collins in goal really should have saved it.
iwasthere2012
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby iwasthere2012 » Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:37 pm

Spurs have a decent right winger Kyle Walker-Peters. Offering a lot going forward as well as getting back to defend a certain equaliser.
interesting game. Chelsea are big and strong and have knocked it round well, but have only had about two clear cut chances. The same as Spurs who could be two up with far less possession.
iwasthere2012
Denis Law's Backheel

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum