EDS/Academy Games

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: EDS/Academy Games

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Wed Mar 02, 2016 11:17 am

iwasthere2012 wrote:
CTID Hants wrote:Quick question for those who follow the U18's and have for a few years....

Martin Samuelsen, any good? He's now with West Ham and on loan at peterborough.

He's been gobbing off in Norwegian press about the ego's if the coaching staff and how they struggle when individual players are stealing attention from the collective and their philosophy...

Sounds like a right gobby little 18yr old who knows better than the whole world?

So is he that great a player???

Remarked about him in their FA Cup replay defeat to WBA. Thought he looked decent.
Probably their best player over the 120 minutes. He then had the bottle to take one of the penalties......but missed.
I think it was Doug who said City let him go to West Ham. We didn't renew his contract.

He certainly didn't look out of place against Premiership opposition.

Samuelson was/is an ok player but I don't recall anything stand out about him. A little bit of a fancy player who likes to be on the ball and do clever things but nothing that special.I didn't see him that often but I feel we have many better midfield players around now than him.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Cocacolajojo1 » Wed Mar 02, 2016 12:22 pm

"I used to be 6 foot 2 with curly hair, look what it's done to me"

"In my career so far it's the most important goal. You score the goal in the last minute to win the title. You're not sure if that's ever going to happen in your career again. I wish I could tell you how I did it but I can't. I thought for all the world that Mario was going to have a go himself but he just moved it on one more and it fell at my feet and I just thought: 'Hit the target, hit it as hard as you can and hit the target.' And it went in."
Cocacolajojo1
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Ireland 08-09

Postby craigmcfc » Thu Mar 03, 2016 8:32 pm

Looking forward to Saturdays double header. Under 18s v Chelsea then the Villa game, especially seeing Brahim Diaz in the flesh for the first time.
craigmcfc
Paul Power's Tash

My favourite player is: Sergio Aguero

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Fri Mar 04, 2016 11:42 pm

craigmcfc wrote:Looking forward to Saturdays double header. Under 18s v Chelsea then the Villa game, especially seeing Brahim Diaz in the flesh for the first time.

Really looking forward to it. A few possibles missing too as Tosin and Humphreys were both involved with the 21's tonight at Norwich along with Isaac Buckley. Good 2.1 win for them too even if it did need a very late penalty from Bytyqi.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Spurge » Sat Mar 05, 2016 8:37 am

Douglas Higginbottom wrote:
craigmcfc wrote:Looking forward to Saturdays double header. Under 18s v Chelsea then the Villa game, especially seeing Brahim Diaz in the flesh for the first time.

Really looking forward to it. A few possibles missing too as Tosin and Humphreys were both involved with the 21's tonight at Norwich along with Isaac Buckley. Good 2.1 win for them too even if it did need a very late penalty from Bytyqi.

Yes a hard fought 2-1 victory for the EDS at Carrow Road last night. This was the 3rd time I've attended this fixture over the last few seasons. Firstly, credit to Norwich City FC, entry is free and as a result there is always a good turn out, a 7 o clock ko means its a family affair - a good PR exercise as the club shop opens and by all accounts does a brisk trade and half time refreshment trade sees good business.

In November 2013 I saw City run out comfortable 3-0 victors and the senior team then put 7 past Norwich at the Etihad the following day, however Norwich's EDS beat us 2-1 the last time the sides met at carrow rd, securing victory with a last minute winner!

As for last night, a good spattering of blues in the crowd, which was good to see. The blues started positively Barker seeing a lot of the ball down the left, taking on Norwich's fullback, though the defender had plenty of pace and Barker found it difficult to get past him. It was Isaac Buckley down City's right however, who had City's best opportunities in the opening exchanges. Buckley having latched on to a through ball, burst into the box but saw his shot well saved by the Norwich keeper. Moments later he was in again, but having delayed his shot allowed the Norwich defender make an excellent challenge to deny him. The ensuing corner came to nothing.

After that the home side got more of a foot hold in the game and the two sides appeared to cancel each other out, though from out of nowhere a speculative effort from 25 yards out from the home side saw the ball crash of the City bar with Angus Gunn rooted to the spot.

The second half saw the blues start positively and a corner in the 53rd minute from the right side delivered by Bytiqi was missed by the Norwich goalkeeper giving Rodney Kongolo the easiest of tap ins at the far post. Norwich equalised however on 61 minutes, when they countered down City's right side. City, having committed to the previous attack, were short of numbers in midfield and the home side made the most of the situation moving the ball quickly cross field where the delivery into the box saw Lafferty fire home to bring Norwich level.

That appeared to wake City up and they largely took control hereafter, Barker came alive and was now beating the Norwich full back with regularity, with Angelino offering support they posed a real threat but with no end product. City nearly took the lead late on when a corner from the left saw Tosin time his late run perfectly to meet the ball at the back stick, however his header was cleared off the line and Norwich survived. City continued to press and got their rewards in the last minute, when another mazy run by Barker saw him felled in the box and Bytiqi fired home from the spot to earn City the 3 points, which, on their second half showing they probably deserved.

Gunn looks a decent goalkeeper, he dealt with most things well and commands his area. Tosin was the stand out player for me however. He seems to do everything with such ease. He won everything in the air, he commands and organises his defence very well, and his distribution was good. What typified his all round performance and domination was how he dealt with a long clearance from their keeper close to the end. He watched the ball closely got in front of his man and instead of heading the ball clear as everyone expected, killed the ball by taking it on his chest before taking a touch and then finding a city player with his pass.

Steve Macmanaman said on BT sport ahead of the kiev game that playing the kids at Chelsea was very likely to be damaging for them, well I think we can safely say otherwise where Tosin is concerned, Macmanaman has clearly underestimated the mental resolve instilled into our youngsters and I know others like Manu Garcia were quick to tweet how much they had enjoyed playing against the likes of Fabregas, Hazard et al.

As for the rest Angelino and Horsfield both looked good, Angelino's desire and energy levels are phenomenal and Horsfield is good on the ball and supports attacks well. Bryan was solid alongside Tosin, Glendon did his job in central midfield effectively Kongolo looks like he could go places. Barker had a much better second half and Buckley did alright. Bytiqi took his pen well though despite working hard (as they all did) didn't impact the game as much as I'd have expected. Faupala, was also quiet though showed in flashes what he is capable of - a definite talent.
Spurge
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

My favourite player is: Asa Hartford

Postby craigmcfc » Sat Mar 05, 2016 11:55 am

Under 18s are 3-1 down at half time and have got progressively worse as the half has gone on. Great pace from Nemane down the right set up the equaliser for Nmecha but crikey we've been poor since then.
craigmcfc
Paul Power's Tash

Postby craigmcfc » Sat Mar 05, 2016 12:13 pm

Wow. Stunning individual goal from Brahim makes it 2-3. Best description would be Messi like!
craigmcfc
Paul Power's Tash

Postby craigmcfc » Sat Mar 05, 2016 12:35 pm

Now 3-3, thanks to more skill from Brahim drawing a foul in the box. Penalty despatched by Nmecha
craigmcfc
Paul Power's Tash

Postby craigmcfc » Sat Mar 05, 2016 12:44 pm

4-3 City. Do I really need to say who?
craigmcfc
Paul Power's Tash

Postby craigmcfc » Sat Mar 05, 2016 12:45 pm

So much better this second half. 2 subs Sancho and Dele-Bashiru definitely made a difference along with moving Brahim to in behind Nmecha.
craigmcfc
Paul Power's Tash

Postby blues2win » Sat Mar 05, 2016 12:55 pm

Brahmin is clearly an outstanding young talent.
blues2win
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: david silva

Postby blues2win » Sat Mar 05, 2016 1:54 pm

I don't know whether this is the right link but Brahim scored a marvellous goal against Chelsea today.

https://twitter.com/city_chief/status/7 ... 7122394112
blues2win
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Postby CTID Hants » Sat Mar 05, 2016 2:16 pm

blues2win wrote:I don't know whether this is the right link but Brahim scored a marvellous goal against Chelsea today.

https://twitter.com/city_chief/status/7 ... 7122394112

Certainly is the right link, thanks for sharing, cracking goal
Born A Blue

CTID Hants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Postby Cocacolajojo1 » Sat Mar 05, 2016 2:18 pm

Seeing Kane score today and Rashford scoring last weekend, and seeing both Bony and Agüero in front of Nacho, it feels like all the talk about our brill academy is just that, talk. Am I just bitter or does anyone else think the same? I'm open to being bitter.

"In my career so far it's the most important goal. You score the goal in the last minute to win the title. You're not sure if that's ever going to happen in your career again. I wish I could tell you how I did it but I can't. I thought for all the world that Mario was going to have a go himself but he just moved it on one more and it fell at my feet and I just thought: 'Hit the target, hit it as hard as you can and hit the target.' And it went in."
Cocacolajojo1
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby blues2win » Sat Mar 05, 2016 3:17 pm

Just look at the link I posted. Brahim is a marvellous prospect.
blues2win
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Postby Cocacolajojo1 » Sat Mar 05, 2016 3:31 pm

Just look at the link I posted. Brahim is a marvellous prospect.

But we have plenty of marvellous prospects and none of them show up in our first team bar the odd glimpse here and there. Nacho has been given more chances than average but not that many either.

Cocacolajojo1
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby blues2win » Sat Mar 05, 2016 3:51 pm

Brahim's only 16 but he's a fine prospect. We need to be patient.
blues2win
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Postby Cocacolajojo1 » Sat Mar 05, 2016 4:17 pm

3-0 up at home against Villa and we bring on our young promising Manu Garcia... Oh, I mean, Sterling, Raheem.

Cocacolajojo1
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Cocacolajojo1 » Sat Mar 05, 2016 4:51 pm

Wow, Garcia got to play!

Cocacolajojo1
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby iwasthere2012 » Sat Mar 05, 2016 4:53 pm

Cocacolajojo wrote:Wow, Garcia got to play!

And did ok from what I saw.
iwasthere2012
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva (was PabZab)

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum