EDS/Academy Games

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: EDS/Academy Games

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:38 pm

craigmcfc wrote:EDS drew 1-1 with Liverpool tonight at the Etihad.

Pity I didn't see the 2 high scoring games so I could make a comparison with this one. I've said it many times before at these games but wow they are so much bigger than we are!!!

Basically they looked like blokes playing against kids and it looked like that times when strength won the battles. But apary from that LPool were pretty well organised and looked as though they were very keen to make sure we didn't score 6 against them.

Overall LPool will go home wondering how the hell they didnt win the game. They were the better side and created alot more dangerous situations than we did but the one time they got the ball in the net it was ruled offside. ( looked an iffy decision to me) We had one great chance but Touazi shot over on the stretch.

Their goal was a great cross and header but our left back Wilson maybe should have done better to stop the cross. Our equaliser was a beauty mostly created by Poveda who played a super pass to the overlapping full back ( Wilson) who crossed for Matondo to tap in.

No great performances tonight apart maybe from Lattibeaudierre. Very good at the back alongside Ogbeta who I think might have been playing his first EDS game. Touazi hardly involved, touch pretty poor when the ball was fired into him. Gomes looked decent without being special

Plenty of playing the ball out from the back as LPool pressed hard and we mostly survived and did it ok but there were some scary moments.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby littlebig » Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:23 pm

I miss the old DH training reports. Back in the old days #givedougapass
littlebig
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: Man City
My favourite player is: Vinnie Kompany

Postby nottsblue » Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:49 pm

The young guns equalise in the last minute at Shrewsbury
nottsblue
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby nottsblue » Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:13 pm

nottsblue wrote:The young guns equalise in the last minute at Shrewsbury

Then lose 3-1 on penalties
nottsblue

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:19 pm

nottsblue wrote:
nottsblue wrote:The young guns equalise in the last minute at Shrewsbury

Then lose 3-1 on penalties

Poor penalties it has to be said. Touazi had scored the equaliser but tried the other corner with the first one and hit a weak effort which the keeper saved with ease. Bernabe's was quite decent but the keepet finger tipped it onto the post. Tom Dele hit the bar and only Matondo scored with one hiigh into the net.

A draw though was a decent result against obviously a bigger stronger side. Sadly the standard of the refereeing was exactly what we are used to in the prem. Crap. Plenty of times our lads were pushed off the ball blatantly and not just being out strengthed.

They scored as you might expect.Long ball into the box and they win the header and on this occasion they won the 2nd ball easily to score. We got more and more into the game and threatening and it was subs plus an injury to Tyreke Wilson that helped us imo.

Latibeaudierre came on at cenre back for Humphreys and Colin Rosler joined hin there while Ogbeta moved from the center to lefy back. The new right back ( not certain but might have been Diounkou ) was physically better than Rosler and really quick. It was his sprint forward that won the pen. We were close to a winner as well. Good effort overall.
Bernabe looks quality
Garre flatters to deceive but got no help from the ref
Matondo is a flying machine but lacks a bit of nouse.
Tom Dele Bashiru was quite good driving forward at times but lacks the pass
Gomes looks very tidy, composed on the ball. I like him
Touazi looks ddangerous, makes good runs but was poor in his link up play.
Muric is fine and looks the business. One question would be whether he should go for more crosses. He didn't at all today but it's hard from behind the goal to know whether he should have.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Fidel Castro » Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:24 pm

Just watching the u19 in the youth league vs Lyon. Look pretty shocking tbh
Fidel Castro
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: City

Postby Nigels Tackle » Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:28 pm

Fidel Castro wrote:Just watching the u19 in the youth league vs Lyon. Look pretty shocking tbh

see that we're 2 down after 20 mins
how is gomes looking?
ARMCHAIR FAN
Nigels Tackle
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Alan Oakes' 668 Games

Supporter of: man love
My favourite player is: riyad meh!rez

Postby Fidel Castro » Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:37 pm

Nigels Tackle wrote:
Fidel Castro wrote:Just watching the u19 in the youth league vs Lyon. Look pretty shocking tbh

how is gomes looking?

Game passing him by a bit. Defence very sloppy and tend to be bypassing midfield, either hitting it long to Simmonds or feeding Povedo and Garre down the flanks, who tend to lose it 9 times out of 10
Fidel Castro

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:42 pm

Fidel Castro wrote:
Nigels Tackle wrote:

how is gomes looking?

Game passing him by a bit. Defence very sloppy and tend to be bypassing midfield, either hitting it long to Simmonds or feeding Povedo and Garre down the flanks, who tend to lose it 9 times out of 10

Overall I thought Gomes was pretty good and the only hint of a player who can help run the midfield.Trouble is he didn't have a great deal to work with as it was just about the weakest team I can remember seeing at this level.

Tom Dele Bashiru isn't a bad player but he's all about driving with the ball and needs a bit too much space to be of real value. Bernabe clearly has talent but just disappears a bit too much. Looks for space between the lines and is dangerous when he gets the ball there but he just doesnt help run the midfield.

Lyon on the other hand seemed to have a 6 and an 8 who did run the midfield and as a result won the game. First half I though we were poor and deservedly down even though we had a couple of chances there was nothing solid in what we did. I felt it relied mostly on whether Poveda could dribble through or not. On the other side Garre flattered to deceive as ever. I still don't think I have ever seen him beat his man! Works quite hard but just doesn't do it for me.

Changes at half time took off Frimpong, moved Ogbeta to left back and brought on Taylor Harwood- Bellis at center back. Felix Nmecha also on for Bernabe. Seemed to make a difference too and for a while we played well. The main threat was Poveda and his dancing run set up the goal for Nmecha. It felt like we were more likely to equalise than them score again. One double chance saw Matondo's fierce shot blocked by the keeper and when it looked a cert for Poveda to score his shot was spectacularly turned over by the keeper as he got up. Quite freaky as Pveda seemed to have most of the goal to score into but hit it high into the corner where the keeper was getting up!!

Then of course they scored 2 in 2 minutes! Both from out right and both basically from errors by Diounkou. Sad for him as he seems to be ok and a real athlete. Going forward he made some great breaks but his defending really must get more solid.

After their goal we had a number of chances and good ones but somehow their keeper kept them out. It made me think after that their guy made probably 6 great saves and I can't remember ours making even one!

We deserved to lose but 4.1 was cruel
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby johnny crossan » Wed Sep 19, 2018 4:59 pm

Douglas Higginbottom wrote:Overall I thought Gomes was pretty good and the only hint of a player who can help run the midfield.Trouble is he didn't have a great deal to work with as it was just about the weakest team I can remember seeing at this level.

Tom Dele Bashiru isn't a bad player but he's all about driving with the ball and needs a bit too much space to be of real value. Bernabe clearly has talent but just disappears a bit too much. Looks for space between the lines and is dangerous when he gets the ball there but he just doesnt help run the midfield.

Lyon on the other hand seemed to have a 6 and an 8 who did run the midfield and as a result won the game. First half I though we were poor and deservedly down even though we had a couple of chances there was nothing solid in what we did. I felt it relied mostly on whether Poveda could dribble through or not. On the other side Garre flattered to deceive as ever. I still don't think I have ever seen him beat his man! Works quite hard but just doesn't do it for me.

Changes at half time took off Frimpong, moved Ogbeta to left back and brought on Taylor Harwood- Bellis at center back. Felix Nmecha also on for Bernabe. Seemed to make a difference too and for a while we played well. The main threat was Poveda and his dancing run set up the goal for Nmecha. It felt like we were more likely to equalise than them score again. One double chance saw Matondo's fierce shot blocked by the keeper and when it looked a cert for Poveda to score his shot was spectacularly turned over by the keeper as he got up. Quite freaky as Pveda seemed to have most of the goal to score into but hit it high into the corner where the keeper was getting up!!

Then of course they scored 2 in 2 minutes! Both from out right and both basically from errors by Diounkou. Sad for him as he seems to be ok and a real athlete. Going forward he made some great breaks but his defending really must get more solid.

After their goal we had a number of chances and good ones but somehow their keeper kept them out. It made me think after that their guy made probably 6 great saves and I can't remember ours making even one!

We deserved to lose but 4.1 was cruel
much appreciated
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby mr_nool » Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:05 pm

Seconded.

I saw a clip of our goal. That was some solo run from Poveda!
Intelligent Vigilant Person
mr_nool
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby nottsblue » Sat Sep 22, 2018 1:56 pm

Young guns 3-2 up at home v Derby. Were 3-0 up and seemingly cruising. Last five minutes now
nottsblue

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Sat Sep 22, 2018 5:37 pm

2 games at the academy today. First the 18's v Everton then the EDS v Derby

First look at the 2 18's teams and I thought surely we have no chance! Our 2 central midfielders looked like they had fallen out of the pockets of some of the Everton players !! Talk about little and large, wow. Part of the issue is that we are fielding young sides at our youth levels but with loads of injuries through the ranks the teams are perhaps a bit too young at times.

We were 2 down very quickly with the first given away with a lad trying to dribble out of a press and gifting the goal. Really we could have lost by loads more but for Louis Moulden in net. We did attack and create a few things but never really looked like scoring. Arguably our best attacking midfield player, Lewis Fiorini, was at full back just to emphasise we are missing plates.

The 2 small midfield players were Hodge and Knight and to be fair to them they look quality. I would have had Joe Hodge as our MotM. Second half we were better when Fiorini came into midfield but that meant Wright-Phillips went to full back. The lads tried hard but were never going to beat an Everton side who have won every game this season so far.

Onto the EDS and when it was 3 nil I thought it was happy days but then for the last 20 minutes you could see why this team has let so many goals in this season. The goals were top finishes. Felix Nmecha the best of the lot from the D into the top corner. Nmecha then set Gonzalez through for a good one on one finish. The 3rd a great run grom left wing bt Garre, took the ball superbly in full flow and lashed it in from an angle.

Then we started to get sloppy.They got a corner and nobody went to stop the short one. The cross was headed in with ease. Then a long ball down their left to 2 of their players was flicked on with our one defender failing with his headed challenge. Poveda probably should have been deeper to help the defender but just wasnt alive to it.

They did get close to another and we did have some good breaks but didnt kill it off.

Some good performances I thought. Quite like Taylor Harwood-Bellis at center back. Felix Nmecha for his goal assist but I just wish he did more. Iker Pozo was good in the holding role. Gomes not so good playing more as an 8 today. Ogbeta looked good too I thought.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Sat Oct 06, 2018 7:32 pm

Tough defeat at liverpool this morning for the under 18's. Especially tough as the only goal came so late in the game and it was Bobby Duncan who scored it. ( ex City and Gerrard's cousin)

Good game too which looked like ending nil nil and I would say a fair result. Crap officials imo which really is the norm for basically every game I watch. Not biased but just plenty of poor decisions both ways but their goal arguably came from one. It seemed to me they commited a foul but the lino didn't flag , the ball goes central towards the D which brought our center back out for a bit of a desperate challenge. He clattered their guy but the ball broke to a totally unmarked Duncan with just the keeper to beat.

C'est la vie for our young team made worse when McDonald was sent off for clattering the guy. Unfortunate for that to happen. It had looked like Duncan would score earlier when a ball was crossed to him about 3 yards out but an amazing last ditch tackle by Ogundby ( a striker/winger playing full back) saved the day.

We had some great breaks and chances but just couldnt get the last bit right.

I wonder how many of this time you have heard of on here?
Louie Moulden ( Paul's son I believe)
Sammy Robinson
Rowan McDonald ( skipper)
Taylor Harwood-Bellis ( real potential)
Ryan Corrigan ( no relation)
Joe Hodge
Ben Knight
Lewis Fiorini
Keke Simmonds
Cole Palmer
Yaden Braaf
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Nigels Tackle » Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:16 pm

Douglas Higginbottom wrote:Tough defeat at liverpool this morning for the under 18's. Especially tough as the only goal came so late in the game and it was Bobby Duncan who scored it. ( ex City and Gerrard's cousin)

Good game too which looked like ending nil nil and I would say a fair result. Crap officials imo which really is the norm for basically every game I watch. Not biased but just plenty of poor decisions both waysbut their goal arguably came from one. It seemed to me they commited a foul but the lino didn't flag , the ball goes central towards the D which brought our center back out for a bit of a desperate challenge. He clattered their guy but the ball broke to a totally unmarked Duncan with just the keeper to beat.

C'est la vie for our young team made worse when McDonald was sent off for clattering the guy. Unfortunate for that to happen. It had looked like Duncan would score earlier when a ball was crossed to him about 3 yards out but an amazing last ditch tackle by Ogundby ( a striker/winger playing full back) saved the day.

We had some great breaks and chances but just couldnt get the last bit right.

I wonder how many of this time you have heard of on here?
Louie Moulden ( Paul's son I believe)
Sammy Robinson
Rowan McDonald ( skipper)
Taylor Harwood-Bellis ( real potential)
Ryan Corrigan ( no relation)
Joe Hodge
Ben Knight
Lewis Fiorini
Keke Simmonds
Cole Palmer
Yaden Braaf

i went to watch woking vs kempston rovers in an fa cup qualifying game on saturday - the officials were woeful, even my 8 year old son was questioning their decisions.
ARMCHAIR FAN
Nigels Tackle
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Alan Oakes' 668 Games

Supporter of: man love
My favourite player is: riyad meh!rez

Postby BlueinBosnia » Sat Nov 03, 2018 3:07 pm

Just seen the EDS made it through to the knockout stages of the Auto Windscreens Shield a few days ago. If Shrewsbury lose their final match to Crewe (who can still qualify) in normal time or lose on penalties following a draw, they'll top the group.
"Ferguson. Žvaka kurac."
(Ferguson. Chewing-gum cock.)
Old man in a bar in rural Bosnia.
BlueinBosnia
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: Team Bridge

Postby craigmcfc » Sat Nov 03, 2018 8:40 pm

EDS beat Blackburn 3-0 earlier today. Nmecha with a double and Benjamin Garre with the other.
craigmcfc
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Sergio Aguero

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Sun Nov 04, 2018 6:15 pm

craigmcfc wrote:EDS beat Blackburn 3-0 earlier today. Nmecha with a double and Benjamin Garre with the other.

BBurn were crap and we were decent. Mangala played the first half alongside Sandler. Liked the look of Sandler but need to see him tested a lot more. Nmecha looked good , Garre decent first half less impressive in the 2nd
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Justified logic » Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:18 pm

Douglas Higginbottom wrote:
craigmcfc wrote:EDS beat Blackburn 3-0 earlier today. Nmecha with a double and Benjamin Garre with the other.

BBurn were crap and we were decent. Mangala played the first half alongside Sandler. Liked the look of Sandler but need to see him tested a lot more. Nmecha looked good , Garre decent first half less impressive in the 2nd

How was the mangler?
Justified logic
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:30 pm

Justified logic wrote:
Douglas Higginbottom wrote:

How was the mangler?

He looked fairly trim and fit and hopefully we can find a nice new home for him. No way he should ever play for the first team again.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum