kompany - trading on past glory?

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: kompany - trading on past glory?

Postby mr_nool » Wed Feb 25, 2015 1:03 pm

I also think Suarez was MDM's man.
Intelligent Vigilant Person
mr_nool
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Postby Im_Spartacus » Wed Feb 25, 2015 1:49 pm

mr_nool wrote:I also think Suarez was MDM's man.

I can go with that.....to an extent, MDM had the line of sight and was caught flat footed, but it's not just about who did/didn't pick up the runner - it's the fact Kompany neither knew he was running nor where he was running to because he never looked up.

The issue for me is that he had 2 options, and chose neither. He didn't pick up the runner (or know where he was), nor did he step forward to put himself in a position to intercept a potential cross.
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Breasts

Postby Blue2 » Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:35 pm

Damage was already done on the 2nd before the ball got in the box. Vinny lunged in, missed the tackle.- school boy stuff
Blue2
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: Hanging
My favourite player is: Aguerooooooooooooooo

Postby stevefromdonny » Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:39 pm

to be fair on kompany and zabba I think that the world cup as took something out of both these players, no real rest but both will come good again
stevefromdonny
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: man city
My favourite player is: any1 who plays for city

Postby carl_feedthegoat » Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:49 pm

Both need replacing in the summer...Madness to put Kompany in after his injury, he has been guilty of losing us points..personally directly responsible.

Mangala and DM were a decent partnership for quite a few games together...fuck knows why this guy walks straight into the team...any other player in our squad had made even half the mistakes hes made they would be benched.

If this guy doesn't get MOTM against Liverpool or a close photo finish he can go do one as far as I'm concerned as I'm fucked off watching him cost us points time and time and time and time again...match after match.

And as far as having the captains band...don't make me laugh !!
THEY SAY SWEARING IS DUE TO A LIMITED VOCABULARY. I KNOW THOUSANDS OF WORDS, BUT I STILL PREFER "FUCK OFF" TO "GO AWAY"
carl_feedthegoat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Man City

Postby Mikhail Chigorin » Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:10 pm

bayblue wrote:
carl_feedthegoat wrote:Fucking shite and he cost us YET AGAIN.

Who'd you take instead??

Ezequiel Garay ??
Mikhail Chigorin
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Bert Trautmann

Postby carl_feedthegoat » Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:14 pm

Mikhail Chigorin wrote:
bayblue wrote:

Who'd you take instead??

Ezequiel Garay ??

Mangala and DM played the best partnership this season together.
THEY SAY SWEARING IS DUE TO A LIMITED VOCABULARY. I KNOW THOUSANDS OF WORDS, BUT I STILL PREFER "FUCK OFF" TO "GO AWAY"
carl_feedthegoat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Mikhail Chigorin » Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:16 pm

carl_feedthegoat wrote:
Mikhail Chigorin wrote:
bayblue wrote:

Who'd you take instead??

Ezequiel Garay ??

Garay and DeMichelis were a fine central defensive pairing for Argentina in the World Cup.

For myself, the jury is still out on Mangala.
Mikhail Chigorin
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby bayblue » Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:37 pm

Mikhail Chigorin wrote:
bayblue wrote:

Who'd you take instead??

Ezequiel Garay ??

Always intrigued me as to how he's ended up at Zenit, and for what seemed a very low price....
bayblue
Horlock's Aggressive Walk

Supporter of: city
My favourite player is: silva

Postby Mikhail Chigorin » Wed Feb 25, 2015 8:50 pm

bayblue wrote:
Mikhail Chigorin wrote:
bayblue wrote:

Who'd you take instead??

Ezequiel Garay ??

Always intrigued me as to how he's ended up at Zenit, and for what seemed a very low price....

Absolutely.

For my money and for all sorts of varied reasons, he would have been a more logical choice for us than Mangala.
Mikhail Chigorin
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby chef » Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:07 pm

carl_feedthegoat wrote:
Mikhail Chigorin wrote:
bayblue wrote:

Who'd you take instead??

Ezequiel Garay ??

Kompany could play in front of this (midfield anchor) giving us solid/fluid options on controlling a game .
chef
De Jong's Tackle

Postby Cocacolajojo1 » Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:13 pm

Just saw a highlights reel of the mistakes Kompany has dished out during the last season. Shocking and for someone who badly wants to defend him, heart breaking to some extent as I hadn't seen all of them added up like that. I didn't realize it yesterday either, although PeterParker did his best to point it out to me (sorry Peter), but the second goal, or rather, the opportunity to create a goal scoring chance, is created by Kompany rushing out. No excuse for what the rest of the team does after the ball is played into the penalty area but the first sequence is 100 % Kompany's mistake.

THe highlights reel was accompanied by analysis from the former manager of the Swedish national team and a journalist and to sum it up, they were shocked that Pellegrini continues to give Kompany leeway for playing in such an attacking manner when he commits so many basic mistakes. And that he apparently weighs too much, although I can't tell if they're right about that. I agree with the rest though. There are so many basic flaws in his game now that if his name had been Lescott, Carl would have imploded, then exploded, then imploded. Then exploded.

But as they also pointed out in the analysis of Kompany's mistakes, what should a team like Manchester City do. Kompany's an excellent spokes person for the club and he brings a degree of class to the captaincy that I think is hard to find elsewhere. His game, however, is just not cutting it. I realize that if you put all the mistakes of one player next to each other, you get an unbalanced perspective. But seriously, the mistakes on that highlight (or is it lowlight?) reel were pretty basic. If it had been Titus Bramble (who's playing style resembles Kompany's in several aspects IMO, incidentally) fine, but it's Kompany. The defensive rock of 10-11 and 11-12. It's just not good enough. Moreover, I don't see how Mangala is going to be able to grow into our defence with such a nervy and spontaneous partner. He definitely needs someone of a calmer mould.

As it stands at this moment, I agree with Carl. Kompany needs a major rethink about how he's going to continue to play. Otherwise it's the club that needs a rethink regarding his future.
"I used to be 6 foot 2 with curly hair, look what it's done to me"

"In my career so far it's the most important goal. You score the goal in the last minute to win the title. You're not sure if that's ever going to happen in your career again. I wish I could tell you how I did it but I can't. I thought for all the world that Mario was going to have a go himself but he just moved it on one more and it fell at my feet and I just thought: 'Hit the target, hit it as hard as you can and hit the target.' And it went in."
Cocacolajojo1
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Ireland 08-09

Postby Hazy2 » Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:35 pm

I am all for defending him, however he has become almost like a novice and his attempts at reading are a weekly mess. He also looks to be not enjoying himself, is he on his way.
Hazy2
Denis Law's Backheel

My favourite player is: Silva

Postby Sparklehorse » Wed Feb 25, 2015 11:00 pm

Team.....rephrase one of the world's best teams scores two goals against our beloved Man City...and all of a sudden Kompany is shit, Zabba is shit, Fernando is shit, Clichy is shit. What fucking planet are you all on, do you think we have some god given right to win every game we play ?
It is half time and we are 2-1 down. Did no side ever come back from 2-1 down from this position? Burnley scored two goals at ours, so did arsenal so did Newcastle so did Middlesborough so did Sunderland and so did Bayern. I'm drunk now and don't even know what point I'm making, but FFS calm down, we are the champions! ! Xx
"Its better to be thought of as being a fool and remain silent than to speak up and remove all doubt" - Abraham Lincoln
Sparklehorse
De Jong's Tackle

My favourite player is: All of them

Postby carl_feedthegoat » Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:44 am

Sparklehorse wrote:Team.....rephrase one of the world's best teams scores two goals against our beloved Man City...and all of a sudden Kompany is shit, Zabba is shit, Fernando is shit, Clichy is shit. What fucking planet are you all on, do you think we have some god given right to win every game we play ?
It is half time and we are 2-1 down. Did no side ever come back from 2-1 down from this position? Burnley scored two goals at ours, so did arsenal so did Newcastle so did Middlesborough so did Sunderland and so did Bayern. I'm drunk now and don't even know what point I'm making, but FFS calm down, we are the champions! ! Xx

This thread is about Kompany and not about us being 2-1 down and we are fucked (We an still win overall at their place,Im convinced of that)
The above post has highlighted what Ive been saying all along , Kompany has taken us down to his level and its costing us.....big time.,,,match after match, even the Kompany lickers cannot hold onto the "hes coming back from injury so lets give him time"...that fucking justification has long passed.

There is no room for nostalgia , players of yesteryear that cut the mustard but now dont have to be dealt with , and that applies to our so called Captain - I say so called as Ive yet to see him barking out orders and sorting out any dissaray around him, maybe because he knows hes playing shite, so whos he to dish out bollockings.

Pellegrini will not drop him and unless a miracle happens Kompany will continue to cost us.
carl_feedthegoat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby dick dastardley » Thu Feb 26, 2015 7:52 am

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/footba ... d-Man-City

just found this in the daily star even the tabloids are picking up on our captain now!!
Support the badge, players come and go along with managers!!!
dick dastardley
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby Wonderwall » Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:55 am

dick dastardley wrote:http://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/427548/Vincent-Kompany-is-NOT-good-enough-and-can-no-longer-lead-Man-City

just found this in the daily star even the tabloids are picking up on our captain now!!

I am not going to read the star, even Viz has more facts
Wonderwall
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Gods own team

Postby Hutch's Shoulder » Fri Feb 27, 2015 6:19 pm

I think this week has proven that there are no really top class defences in the Premier League. Chelsea do better in Europe than most because of Maureen's tactical nouse, but the league's vaunted entertainment factor has for the last few years been built on vulnerable defences.
Hutch's Shoulder

Supporter of: City of course
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby AntMcfc » Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:49 pm

chef wrote:
carl_feedthegoat wrote:
Mikhail Chigorin wrote:
bayblue wrote:

Who'd you take instead??

Ezequiel Garay ??

Kompany could play in front of this (midfield anchor) giving us solid/fluid options on controlling a game .

Controlling a game?! The guy can't pass to save his fucking life.
AntMcfc
Robinho's Step Over

My favourite player is: Yaya/Aguero/Totti/Busi

Postby AntMcfc » Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:53 pm

Kompany isn't finished though, so many defenders find ways to adapt and readjust as they age. I think he just needs a new manager, someone who won't force him to do things he's uncomfortable with. He needs his confidence knocking down a peg or two as well, it's his belief that he can win every tackle/header/duel that's affecting the correct decision making. If, next season, Pellegrini is gone and we have a proper manager who can organise a defence, I think we'll see a resurgence from our captain.
AntMcfc
Robinho's Step Over

My favourite player is: Yaya/Aguero/Totti/Busi

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum