kompany - trading on past glory?

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: kompany - trading on past glory?

Postby Mikhail Chigorin » Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:43 am

ruralblue wrote:Come the weekend Komps will play a blinder have Drogba in his pocket and lead the team to victory. He will be the Captain Komps and folk will be drooling over his leadership and die hard attitude.

Crikey Rural; I swear I've just seen two pigs flying past my window......
Mikhail Chigorin
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Bert Trautmann

Postby Sister of fu » Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:58 am

Mikhail Chigorin wrote:
ruralblue wrote:Come the weekend Komps will play a blinder have Drogba in his pocket and lead the team to victory. He will be the Captain Komps and folk will be drooling over his leadership and die hard attitude.

Crikey Rural; I swear I've just seen two pigs flying past my window......

I think you will see a mentality switch on Saturday and we will see a much improved Sergio and Vinny. They know that this game is a must not lose one and they will be well aware of how shite they have played in the last few weeks. I except big performances from these two on Saturday.
Sister of fu
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

My favourite player is: Uwe Rosler

Postby iwasthere2012 » Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:27 am

Slim wrote:
iwasthere2012 wrote:
Sister of fu wrote:
iwasthere2012 wrote:
Sister of fu wrote:Racist....

Just wondering what your take is, on criticism of players on forums such as this. Do other players read the likes of this and is there a club policy on players participating on social media such as twitter and the likes.

Myself would always take criticism personally but I'm a soft arse. I'm not sure if in the men's game they read forums but I imagine they know what is said in the press. You only have to look at Maureen's reaction last night to know that there aware of what is said.

City have very strict rules about social media and what you say. You can not bring the club into disrepute by writing silly tweets etc. Seeing as I don't play for them anymore thought I am free to do as I please on social media.

I'd imagine they can't avoid the media, but I was wondering if what their own fans write about them actually gets to them, as in, finds it's way into the dressing room. Regarding forums and the likes do you know of any other players, present or ex-players, that engage like that.
Sister, you seem to be the only one with your name in yellow...... That has to be an honour in itself.

Paul Lake also has his name in yellow and 27 posts to his name.

Thanks Slim,
Just after checking out his posts. All mainly on a questions and answers thread. He hasn't posted since 2013 though. I wonder with him being an ambassador for the club, like Sister said, would he be very strictly restricted in what he can do socially.
I'm genuinely interested in the mentality end of it. Does the club have coaching in the dealing with modern media or is it just guidelines are layed down for them to follow.
iwasthere2012
Denis Law's Backheel

My favourite player is: David Silva (was PabZab)

Postby Sister of fu » Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:16 pm

The club employ a guy who works in London and I am told he knows everything that is said by players and staff on social media. I am lead to believe that this is his job. Players do have media coaching and this was offered to me while at the club. All the little bits of media I did had to go via City. I did an event at the football museum last year that was covered by the BBC and I had to have someone with me from the club. She spoke to the producer of the event and made it clear what they could and couldn't ask me. City are very strict on media but this is for the protection of players and the club.
Sister of fu

Postby john@staustell » Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:26 pm

Sister of fu wrote:The club employ a guy who works in London and I am told he knows everything that is said by players and staff on social media. I am lead to believe that this is his job. Players do have media coaching and this was offered to me while at the club. All the little bits of media I did had to go via City. I did an event at the football museum last year that was covered by the BBC and I had to have someone with me from the club. She spoke to the producer of the event and made it clear what they could and couldn't ask me. City are very strict on media but this is for the protection of players and the club.

Presumably after the Micah Richards experience?
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: City

Postby iwasthere2012 » Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:27 pm

Sister of fu wrote:The club employ a guy who works in London and I am told he knows everything that is said by players and staff on social media. I am lead to believe that this is his job. Players do have media coaching and this was offered to me while at the club. All the little bits of media I did had to go via City. I did an event at the football museum last year that was covered by the BBC and I had to have someone with me from the club. She spoke to the producer of the event and made it clear what they could and couldn't ask me. City are very strict on media but this is for the protection of players and the club.

Quite understandably. Do you think anything the fans say finds it's way into the dressing room?
iwasthere2012
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby Sister of fu » Thu Jan 29, 2015 3:40 pm

iwasthere2012 wrote:

Quite understandably. Do you think anything the fans say finds it's way into the dressing room?

Maybe. They have to have very thick skin though as some of them get mulled on fans forums. I would probably advise them to stay well clear of fans forums if they didn't want burst a blood vessel.
Sister of fu

Postby iwasthere2012 » Thu Jan 29, 2015 3:52 pm

Good advice, you would hope that is the case. I'd say in general it is easier for the non-English speaking contingent to ignore the media as well.
Last edited by iwasthere2012 on Thu Jan 29, 2015 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
iwasthere2012
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby PrezIke » Thu Jan 29, 2015 3:58 pm

sad some have so easily turned on the most loyal and dedicated servant of the club, outside of zabba, imho.

let's give him a run of games when fit.

we are going to need him, and i also agree that our style of play has left him more vulnerable than under mancini. hasn't helped that our left centre back has not remained steady since pellegrini has taken over. i believe mangala will improve and am hopeful that partnership will work out over time.
PrezIke
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: KDBeezy

Postby Mikhail Chigorin » Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:43 pm

PrezIke wrote:sad some have so easily turned on the most loyal and dedicated servant of the club, outside of zabba, imho.

let's give him a run of games when fit.

we are going to need him, and i also agree that our style of play has left him more vulnerable than under mancini. hasn't helped that our left centre back has not remained steady since pellegrini has taken over. i believe mangala will improve and am hopeful that partnership will work out over time.

I wonder, bearing in mind the way that things have transpired this season, if Pellegrini would ever consider curtailing, to some extent, the high pressing, high-line game that he wants to play, in order to make us more solid and durable by defending deeper and in greater depth than at present ??

This approach might benefit all our defenders, especially the centre-backs and, although it might be considered philosophically unpalatable, I just wonder if our Manager would ever deem it necessary to adopt a more pragmatic approach, in order to cope more successfully with the rigours, conditions and demands of a long and difficult Premier League season ??

I'm just musing, but I'd love to know, at various times, what thoughts run through Pellegrini's mind.
Mikhail Chigorin
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

My favourite player is: Bert Trautmann

Postby Ted Hughes » Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:53 pm

I think he (& Txiki & Sheikh Mansour) want City to play with the kind of attacking verve you see from Real Madrid & Barca (& I hate to say it but once, in a different way, from the rags). Not to be pragmatic & efficient.

The only way to do that, is for the defence to be very good at bailing out situations when the shit hits the fan because the only alternative is changing the playing style.

If Barca, Real Madrid, Bayern nowardays can play this way & win Champions Leagues, then there is absolutely no reason to change. Just keep going until you get it right.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby phips » Sat Jan 31, 2015 7:23 pm

is that 3 matches in a row in which Kompany has cost us a goal?
I'm not really a City fan. I'm just here for attention.

Barclays Premier League 2011-2012 CHAMP1-6NS
Barclays Premier League 2013-2014 CHAMP156NS
Barclays Premier League 2017-2018 CHAMP100NS
Barclays Premier League 2018-2019 CHAMP14ONS
Barclays Premier League 2020-2021 CHAM21ONS
Barclays Premier League 2021-2022 CHAM93ONS
Barclays Premier League 2022-2023 CHAM3XIONS
2022-2023 Domestic & European TR3BLE WINNERS
phips
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Supporter of: Man City, Dortmund
My favourite player is: David Silva, Marco Reus

Postby Ted Hughes » Sat Jan 31, 2015 7:25 pm

phips wrote:is that 3 matches in a row in which Kompany has cost us a goal?

Demichelis could equally have stopped it. Both asleep.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby iwasthere2012 » Sat Jan 31, 2015 7:31 pm

A tad harsh, but I can see where you're coming from.
All in all the back four were comfortable second half. Kompany is still nervy, but this game will do him the world of good.
There was only one team going for the win, but we were sensible enough not to over-stretch ourselves.
iwasthere2012
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby Ted Hughes » Sat Jan 31, 2015 7:48 pm

iwasthere2012 wrote:

A tad harsh, but I can see where you're coming from.
All in all the back four were comfortable second half. Kompany is still nervy, but this game will do him the world of good.
There was only one team going for the win, but we were sensible enough not to over-stretch ourselves.

He does look nervous rather than unfit. So hopefully you are right & that will cure it.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Cocacolajojo1 » Sat Jan 31, 2015 10:02 pm

How did he cost us a goal? It's a perfect cross and IMO, if he stretches his leg out to catch it, he puts it in his own net. He has to let it go as there's still a chance that Bony will miss, which he didnt. Even fucking Neville said there was nothing Kompany could do about it.
"I used to be 6 foot 2 with curly hair, look what it's done to me"

"In my career so far it's the most important goal. You score the goal in the last minute to win the title. You're not sure if that's ever going to happen in your career again. I wish I could tell you how I did it but I can't. I thought for all the world that Mario was going to have a go himself but he just moved it on one more and it fell at my feet and I just thought: 'Hit the target, hit it as hard as you can and hit the target.' And it went in."
Cocacolajojo1
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Ireland 08-09

Postby phips » Sat Jan 31, 2015 10:06 pm

Cocacolajojo wrote:

How did he cost us a goal? It's a perfect cross and IMO, if he stretches his leg out to catch it, he puts it in his own net. He has to let it go as there's still a chance that Bony will miss, which he didnt. Even fucking Neville said there was nothing Kompany could do about it.

fuck me. i thought we had signed Bony.
I'm not really a City fan. I'm just here for attention.

Barclays Premier League 2011-2012 CHAMP1-6NS
Barclays Premier League 2013-2014 CHAMP156NS
Barclays Premier League 2017-2018 CHAMP100NS
Barclays Premier League 2018-2019 CHAMP14ONS
Barclays Premier League 2020-2021 CHAM21ONS
Barclays Premier League 2021-2022 CHAM93ONS
Barclays Premier League 2022-2023 CHAM3XIONS
2022-2023 Domestic & European TR3BLE WINNERS
phips
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Supporter of: Man City, Dortmund
My favourite player is: David Silva, Marco Reus

Postby Cocacolajojo1 » Sat Jan 31, 2015 10:12 pm

Intelligent :)
"I used to be 6 foot 2 with curly hair, look what it's done to me"

"In my career so far it's the most important goal. You score the goal in the last minute to win the title. You're not sure if that's ever going to happen in your career again. I wish I could tell you how I did it but I can't. I thought for all the world that Mario was going to have a go himself but he just moved it on one more and it fell at my feet and I just thought: 'Hit the target, hit it as hard as you can and hit the target.' And it went in."
Cocacolajojo1
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Ireland 08-09

Postby South Stand Balti » Sat Jan 31, 2015 10:30 pm

I can't believe anyone on here would want to criticise Vinny. He has been injured off and on for four months this season. He is allowed a dodgy game or two after picking up all them trophies. Apart from Lescott he has not had one consistent CB partner. MDM was very poor for a while, Nastasic flattered to deceive and Mangala is not fit to lace Alan Kernaghan's jock strap. Build a fucking Vinnie statue in city square I say.
South Stand Balti

Supporter of: Manchester City FC
My favourite player is: Yaya

Postby carl_feedthegoat » Sat Jan 31, 2015 10:37 pm

When all is said and done . he had another shit game.....that's 3 on the trot.
THEY SAY SWEARING IS DUE TO A LIMITED VOCABULARY. I KNOW THOUSANDS OF WORDS, BUT I STILL PREFER "FUCK OFF" TO "GO AWAY"
carl_feedthegoat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Man City

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum