kompany - trading on past glory?

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: kompany - trading on past glory?

Postby sheblue » Sat Jan 31, 2015 11:43 pm

carl_feedthegoat wrote:When all is said and done . he had another shit game.....that's 3 on the trot.

Was he really that bad?
sheblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: city
My favourite player is: silva

Postby iwasthere2012 » Sun Feb 01, 2015 12:03 am

sheblue wrote:
carl_feedthegoat wrote:When all is said and done . he had another shit game.....that's 3 on the trot.

Was he really that bad?

No.
iwasthere2012
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva (was PabZab)

Postby Peter Doherty (AGAIG) » Sun Feb 01, 2015 12:25 am

iwasthere2012 wrote:
sheblue wrote:

Was he really that bad?

No.

Agreed. He hasn't been good this season, but tonight we looked completely dis-jointed.
Peter Doherty (AGAIG)
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Johan Cruyff

Postby carl_feedthegoat » Sun Feb 01, 2015 1:33 am

iwasthere2012 wrote:
sheblue wrote:

Was he really that bad?

No.

Actually , yes

He couldnt control the ball today for shit (Factual) and his general play had a nervous edge to it throughout the game.
He should have taken that cross out for the goal......irrespective of maybe conceding an own goal , to let it run pass him instead was criminal imo.
THEY SAY SWEARING IS DUE TO A LIMITED VOCABULARY. I KNOW THOUSANDS OF WORDS, BUT I STILL PREFER "FUCK OFF" TO "GO AWAY"
carl_feedthegoat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Man City

Postby Piccsnumberoneblue » Sun Feb 01, 2015 7:45 am

There was definitely a nervous feel to his performance but on the whole I thought he was pretty good.
He certainly seemed to pull out of intercepting the cross for the goal, presumably for fear of popping it in his own net. However I wish he had done something rather than nothing!
City and sniffing knickers.
Come on Blues.
Piccsnumberoneblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Supporter of: Us

Postby Ted Hughes » Sun Feb 01, 2015 12:15 pm

Piccsnumberoneblue wrote:There was definitely a nervous feel to his performance but on the whole I thought he was pretty good.
He certainly seemed to pull out of intercepting the cross for the goal, presumably for fear of popping it in his own net. However I wish he had done something rather than nothing!

If he'd gone for it, he would likely either cleared it, or possibly hit it against Joe Hart, which still might have ended in a goal, but at least not a certainty. But he had some good moments in the game as well as the nervous ones, & although after the event everyone in the media is making out we played vs the blind paperboy's 11, we did actually play v Hazard, Willian, Oscar & Remy & it was the only chance they got in the match.

We must have done something right.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby Cocacolajojo1 » Sun Feb 01, 2015 12:20 pm

If he'd gone for it, he would likely either cleared it, or possibly hit it against Joe Hart, which still might have ended in a goal, but at least not a certainty. But he had some good moments in the game as well as the nervous ones, & although after the event everyone in the media is making out we played vs the blind paperboy's 11, we did actually play v Hazard, Willian, Oscar & Remy & it was the only chance they got in the match.

But at the same time, isn't it better to not make an own goal and hope that Remy misses?
"I used to be 6 foot 2 with curly hair, look what it's done to me"

"In my career so far it's the most important goal. You score the goal in the last minute to win the title. You're not sure if that's ever going to happen in your career again. I wish I could tell you how I did it but I can't. I thought for all the world that Mario was going to have a go himself but he just moved it on one more and it fell at my feet and I just thought: 'Hit the target, hit it as hard as you can and hit the target.' And it went in."
Cocacolajojo1
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

My favourite player is: Ireland 08-09

Postby Ted Hughes » Sun Feb 01, 2015 12:31 pm

Cocacolajojo wrote:

But at the same time, isn't it better to not make an own goal and hope that Remy misses?

Nah.

He is trying to score, wheras you are not. So you would hope to have a better chance of missing than he would.

Tbh, it shouldn't have even been an issue imo though. Both our central defenders failed to read it & were caught napping; neither were running back anything like full pace. They thought they had time to get in there and clear it, probably expecting Hazard to pull the ball down & try to beat Sagna.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Piccsnumberoneblue » Sun Feb 01, 2015 12:37 pm

Vince reads it and goes to take up a position to intercept the cross. It's a funny thing but if I could reach a ball, I would back myself to not score an oggy.
Crap decision.
City and sniffing knickers.
Come on Blues.
Piccsnumberoneblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Supporter of: Us

Postby blues2win » Sun Feb 01, 2015 12:38 pm

The goal was made by a great first time volleyed cross by Hazard which caught our centre backs napping. I still think Vinny should have tried to clear it but it was a difficult split second decision which he got wrong. It's not a hanging offence. Sergio missed a really good chance at the other end which was just as costly. Neither are probably fully match sharp. Great pity Bony wasn't available because he would have relished the chance against Terry. Zouma looks a distinct improvement on Cahill though.
blues2win
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: david silva

Postby Ted Hughes » Sun Feb 01, 2015 12:39 pm

Piccsnumberoneblue wrote:Vince reads it and goes to take up a position to intercept the cross. It's a funny thing but if I could reach a ball, I would back myself to not score an oggy.
Crap decision.

I think he is expecting at least a touch from Hazard & thinks he has time to spare to get in position & guard against it, then panics when he sees the ball is already on its way.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Cocacolajojo1 » Sun Feb 01, 2015 1:22 pm

Nah.

He is trying to score, wheras you are not. So you would hope to have a better chance of missing than he would.

Tbh, it shouldn't have even been an issue imo though. Both our central defenders failed to read it & were caught napping; neither were running back anything like full pace. They thought they had time to get in there and clear it, probably expecting Hazard to pull the ball down & try to beat Sagna.

Fair enough. Thanks for the answer.
"I used to be 6 foot 2 with curly hair, look what it's done to me"

"In my career so far it's the most important goal. You score the goal in the last minute to win the title. You're not sure if that's ever going to happen in your career again. I wish I could tell you how I did it but I can't. I thought for all the world that Mario was going to have a go himself but he just moved it on one more and it fell at my feet and I just thought: 'Hit the target, hit it as hard as you can and hit the target.' And it went in."
Cocacolajojo1
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

My favourite player is: Ireland 08-09

Postby Ted Hughes » Sun Feb 01, 2015 2:58 pm

Jason Denayer just blocked the exact same volley cross for Celtic v Rangers. As soon as the ball went that direction, he ran back and was facing away from goal clearing it with his right foot when the cross came in.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby DoomMerchant » Sun Feb 01, 2015 5:04 pm

Ted Hughes wrote:Jason Denayer just blocked the exact same volley cross for Celtic v Rangers. As soon as the ball went that direction, he ran back and was facing away from goal clearing it with his right foot when the cross came in.

I felt it was shit from our captain but he wasn't as miserable as he'd been the last two times out.

Denayer sounds like the real deal from what people say. Wonder if he will get a shout next season? If not he'll be off.

Cheers
viVa el ciTy!

"All things considered, there's absolutely no escape from this hellish situation. I'm prepared to take the coward's way out if you are. It's reincarnation or nothing." -- Gideon Stargrave

DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: MCFC. OK.
My favourite player is: The Game

Postby Ted Hughes » Sun Feb 01, 2015 5:11 pm

DoomMerchant wrote:
Ted Hughes wrote:Jason Denayer just blocked the exact same volley cross for Celtic v Rangers. As soon as the ball went that direction, he ran back and was facing away from goal clearing it with his right foot when the cross came in.

I felt it was shit from our captain but he wasn't as miserable as he'd been the last two times out.

Denayer sounds like the real deal from what people say. Wonder if he will get a shout next season? If not he'll be off.

Cheers

He'd get a regular spot pre season for me, & take it from there. But I don't think him leaving is a worry, he's said already he knows the Premier League is another level so it depends on what City want him to do re going on loan or not.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby blues2win » Sun Feb 01, 2015 5:27 pm

Celtic have already said they would like him for another year at the end of the season. No word yet from the club but its early days. I think it's him or Boyata next season because Vinny and Mangala will be there and MDM is going to get a year's extension. I think Denayer ought to get the nod but then he should play, at least in the domestic cups.
blues2win
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: david silva

Postby iwasthere2012 » Sun Feb 01, 2015 5:48 pm

I agree Kompany should have gone for it and also that he is still quite nervy.
What I don't agree with is that he was shit, which is what seems to be implied by some.
He was certainly better than his last two games and against pretty good opposition.
I'll bow to the analysis of those that were at the game, but watching it on SKY it looked like the back 4 were pretty comfortable in the second half, against top of the league.
The whole team were riddled with mistakes, not just Vinny and yet Chelsea were quite obviously, very cautious about attacking. It shows what they think we are capable of.
I'm hoping this game will boost us mentally.
iwasthere2012
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby bayblue » Sun Feb 01, 2015 8:32 pm

iwasthere2012 wrote:I agree Kompany should have gone for it and also that he is still quite nervy.
What I don't agree with is that he was shit, which is what seems to be implied by some.
He was certainly better than his last two games and against pretty good opposition.
I'll bow to the analysis of those that were at the game, but watching it on SKY it looked like the back 4 were pretty comfortable in the second half, against top of the league.
The whole team were riddled with mistakes, not just Vinny and yet Chelsea were quite obviously, very cautious about attacking. It shows what they think we are capable of.
I'm hoping this game will boost us mentally.

I was there and thought he did ok bar one glaring mistake. Just read that Chelsea haven't had as few chances on goal for over ten years so no way was he or the rest of the defensive unit "shit".
I still can't think of another Prem Centre back I'd prefer to have.
bayblue
Horlock's Aggressive Walk

Supporter of: city
My favourite player is: silva

Postby Hazy2 » Sun Feb 01, 2015 10:00 pm

Chelsea dominated forward play for 45 plus 3 mins, not one shot on target. Costa missing I get that, Vinny nervous yep, injuries and form I also agree but Vinny shit, no chance, on his way back to lead us in a massive period for the club.
Hazy2
Denis Law's Backheel

My favourite player is: Silva

Postby iwasthere2012 » Sun Feb 01, 2015 11:16 pm

Hazy2 wrote:Chelsea dominated forward play for 45 plus 3 mins, not one shot on target. Costa missing I get that, Vinny nervous yep, injuries and form I also agree but Vinny shit, no chance, on his way back to lead us in a massive period for the club.

Not withstanding the goal or who's fault we think it was. I think that game will have done him the world of good. At least I hope it will have. If he gets his act together I believe we will win this league with points to spare.
iwasthere2012
Denis Law's Backheel

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum