We don't need to win this competition

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

We don't need to win this competition

Postby Im_Spartacus » Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:34 am

So, I know it has been alluded to in another thread, but given the footage of our very own Mr Anti-Dandruff in the tunnel before the [edit - Sheff Weds game] game saying "We don't need to win this competition man", I just wonder what people's thoughts are.

I can't be arsed posting the video from my ipad, perhaps someone else more technically competent can

Now......before people go on an anti-Joe rant, I personally would like to consider the following:

1: Is this his personal mentality or one the manager has shared?
2: If a shared view, does this explain the 2nd half?
3: Whilst a club must prioritise at the start of a season, if this is low priority, shouldn't kids be involved
4: Have players taken a view on the importance of the competition because the club fucked them off half way around the world for commercial purposes midweek?
5: Is it a hoax and has it been dubbed?

Now, if what Joe has said is not reflective of the clubs position on the FA cup, I would honestly expect him to be hauled up in front of the man to explain his comments. However if he gets away scot free, one would have to assume that Pellegrini shares this view, in which case it becomes criminal not to have involved any kids in the two FA cup games.
Last edited by Im_Spartacus on Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Breasts

Re: We don't need to win this competition

Postby phips » Tue Jan 27, 2015 4:17 am

just goes to show that regardless of what they say to the media players think they're really good and that the club should beat a side like Middlesborough and that leads to bad things. its just the nature of being a professional athlete.
I'm not really a City fan. I'm just here for attention.

Barclays Premier League 2011-2012 CHAMP1-6NS
Barclays Premier League 2013-2014 CHAMP156NS
Barclays Premier League 2017-2018 CHAMP100NS
Barclays Premier League 2018-2019 CHAMP14ONS
Barclays Premier League 2020-2021 CHAM21ONS
Barclays Premier League 2021-2022 CHAM93ONS
Barclays Premier League 2022-2023 CHAM3XIONS
2022-2023 Domestic & European TR3BLE WINNERS
phips
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Supporter of: Man City, Dortmund
My favourite player is: David Silva, Marco Reus

Postby Im_Spartacus » Tue Jan 27, 2015 4:41 am

phips wrote:just goes to show that regardless of what they say to the media players think they're really good and that the club should beat a side like Middlesborough and that leads to bad things. its just the nature of being a professional athlete.

I don't see it as a superiority complex, I see it that either individual players' attitudes to the competition. (which would be very worrying) or the attitude instilled by the manager (trying to balance out priorities) was complicit in our second half shambles.

Should be a wake up call to those who still don't believe that the players conspired to fuck the FA Cup final off to get rid of Mancini though, as players clearly DONT go out to win each game they start with equal intensity.

The less palatable truth for us if it turns out to be Pellegrini's attitude to the FA Cup this year has translated to the players, is that kids who DID want to put their bodies on the line should have played.

Our performances in the domestic cup competitions this year in light of all this leaves me rather confused at what is actually going on in the manager's head
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby Dameerto » Tue Jan 27, 2015 7:10 am

Pellegrini didn't see it as a match they could afford to lose, otherwise he would have started a youngster or two rather than going all out for it. He played the strongest lineup available to him and he chased the game when we went a goal down.
VIVA EL CITIES

"The adjudicatory chamber of the Ethics Committee ... has banned Mr Joseph S. Blatter ... for eight years and Mr Michel Platini ... for eight years from all football-related activities (administrative, sports or any other) on a national and international level. The bans come into force immediately." - 21/12/2015
Dameerto
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: El City
My favourite player is: Sergio Forwardo

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Tue Jan 27, 2015 7:50 am

It was before the Sheffield Wednesday game. What is the context here? Is he referring to the FA Cup? He could be talking about anything as far as I can make out but don't let that get in the way of the outrage

http://m.mcfc.co.uk/site/video/br/?bcpi ... 0820016001

2mins 20secs in.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Euthanasia

Postby Two's Kompany » Tue Jan 27, 2015 7:53 am

The vid wasn't taken at Saturday's game.
Media agenda? Never!!!
Two's Kompany
Robinho's Step Over

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Anyone in a City shirt!

Postby Im_Spartacus » Tue Jan 27, 2015 7:55 am

Dameerto wrote:Pellegrini didn't see it as a match they could afford to lose, otherwise he would have started a youngster or two rather than going all out for it. He played the strongest lineup available to him and he chased the game when we went a goal down.

Pellegrini started a similar team against Newcastle, Sheff Weds, Boro......all at home this season, all with a team from 1-11 of senior players, without any game time for kids even off the bench (or even named on it). In every game, (with the notable exception of the 7.0) we have stunk the place out, and been unable to match the workrate of the opposition. Was the same the year before with Wigan and Watford.

It would seem that Hart's view of the FA cup in light of these performances may not be specific to him, and therefore the concern is, does this come from Pellegrini, and if not, what is he doing about it?

A bigger concern, given that we have little realistic chance of winning the champions league, is whether a similar attitude is taken of "we aren't expected to win it, so fuck it" - because some of our earlier performances looked suspiciously like that!
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby Nigels Tackle » Tue Jan 27, 2015 7:59 am

Foreverinbluedreams wrote:It was before the Sheffield Wednesday game. What is the context here? Is he referring to the FA Cup? He could be talking about anything as far as I can make out but don't let that get in the way of the outrage

2mins 20secs in.

well done for posting
proof, once again, that most mancityfans.net members should never allowed to be part of any jury
any idea what the wednesday player is trying to do on 2mins 25secs
ARMCHAIR FAN
Nigels Tackle
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Alan Oakes' 668 Games

Supporter of: man love
My favourite player is: riyad meh!rez

Postby Im_Spartacus » Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:03 am

Foreverinbluedreams wrote:It was before the Sheffield Wednesday game. What is the context here? Is he referring to the FA Cup? He could be talking about anything as far as I can make out but don't let that get in the way of the outrage

2mins 20secs in.

Outrage?

Given that he is walking onto the pitch ahead of an FA Cup game in which we were largely wank, after having been equally if not more dire against Newcastle, and subsequently dumped out by Boro - in all cases whom we struggled to match for workrate, you don't feel there is a question to be asked here?

Given that we are only involved in 4 competitions, and our performances in two of them (and arguably also the champs league aside from the final game) have been abject, what other 'competitions we don't need to win' is he involved in I wonder? You don't feel there is a question to be asked here?

Given that Hart was the alleged ringleader in the FA Cup capitulation in the final against Wigan, is well thought of in the dressing room, and clearly a big influence on the squad, you don't think there's a question to be asked here?

As we won't ever be told the context, we can of course only speculate, but there is certainly a discussion to be had
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby sheblue » Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:14 am

All will be revealed on Saturday evening.
sheblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: city
My favourite player is: silva

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:14 am

Nigels Tackle wrote:

2mins 20secs in.

well done for posting
proof, once again, that most mancityfans.net members should never allowed to be part of any jury
any idea what the wednesday player is trying to do on 2mins 25secs

He dropped his phone number in her pocket.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:26 am

Im_Spartacus wrote:

2mins 20secs in.

Outrage?

Given that he is walking onto the pitch ahead of an FA Cup game in which we were largely wank, after having been equally if not more dire against Newcastle, and subsequently dumped out by Boro - in all cases whom we struggled to match for workrate, you don't feel there is a question to be asked here?

Given that we are only involved in 4 competitions, and our performances in two of them (and arguably also the champs league aside from the final game) have been abject, what other 'competitions we don't need to win' is he involved in I wonder? You don't feel there is a question to be asked here?

Given that Hart was the alleged ringleader in the FA Cup capitulation in the final against Wigan, is well thought of in the dressing room, and clearly a big influence on the squad, you don't think there's a question to be asked here?

As we won't ever be told the context, we can of course only speculate, but there is certainly a discussion to be had

You ask away mate.

Funny how the club saw fit to air the footage if he was indeed referring to the FA Cup.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby Im_Spartacus » Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:34 am

Foreverinbluedreams wrote:
Im_Spartacus wrote:

2mins 20secs in.

Outrage?

You ask away mate.

Funny how the club saw fit to air the footage if he was indeed referring to the FA Cup.

Hilarious

"We" are only in 4 fucking competitions, and "this competition" as you are walking onto the pitch in the FA Cup, let's take it from there eh Sherlock.

Whilst one could come up with any number of theories about what he was or wasn't talking talking about. What do you reckon is the most likely competiton he was talking about?

On the basis of that, it's a valid topic for discussion whether we know the context or not.
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby DoomMerchant » Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:11 pm

Surely he's talking about some private goalie hijinks. The three of them come out all smiles having been talking about a "Who is the King of their Own Castle" comp or something.

This thread is fucking retarded.

Cheers
viVa el ciTy!

"All things considered, there's absolutely no escape from this hellish situation. I'm prepared to take the coward's way out if you are. It's reincarnation or nothing." -- Gideon Stargrave

DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: MCFC. OK.
My favourite player is: The Game

Postby Ted Hughes » Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:14 pm

Not even seen this, won't be watching it, & yet I know it's a load of fucking bollocks.

Sixth sense perhaps.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby Tokyo Blue » Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:19 pm

1. He could be talking about golf, darts, pool, anything in the fucking world. From the facial expressions he is clearly not being serious, whatever he is talking about.

2. If I go to a bank and say to my mate next to me, "Fuck me, I'm skint. I could do with a few bob", does that make me a bank robber?
Your right leg I like; I've got nothing against your right leg. The trouble is neither have you.
Tokyo Blue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Postby DoomMerchant » Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:27 pm

Ted Hughes wrote:Not even seen this, won't be watching it, & yet I know it's a load of fucking bollocks.

Sixth sense perhaps.

It's 180 seconds of my life...plus buffering that I won't get back. On my death bed I'll remember this shit. I'm keeping tabs.

Cheers
viVa el ciTy!

"All things considered, there's absolutely no escape from this hellish situation. I'm prepared to take the coward's way out if you are. It's reincarnation or nothing." -- Gideon Stargrave

DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: MCFC. OK.
My favourite player is: The Game

Postby Sideshow Bob » Tue Jan 27, 2015 2:09 pm

jesus wept!!!!!! ignoring what our beloved joe did or didn't say, the bigger issue (as sparty has rightly pointed out) is that we've allowed our senior players to repeatedly fuck off these cup competitions instead giving our EDS kids even a look in. it's fucking criminal and pelle should be made to answer for it.
Sideshow Bob
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Jonny Evans

Postby Im_Spartacus » Tue Jan 27, 2015 4:45 pm

Sideshow Bob wrote:jesus wept!!!!!! ignoring what our beloved joe did or didn't say, the bigger issue (as sparty has rightly pointed out) is that we've allowed our senior players to repeatedly fuck off these cup competitions instead giving our EDS kids even a look in. it's fucking criminal and pelle should be made to answer for it.

Thanks, I think you've managed to get the point which everyone else has tried as hard as possible to miss.

But nothing new here, I spent 6 months telling these fucking spazs that it was kicking off on a weekly basis in or more specifically after training, yet despite this, and even after a shameful capitulation in the biggest domestic cup final in the world, nobody was having it that Hart was being fingered in the media for snide off the record comments.

This is very much a concern, not so much what Joe said, but from where that mentality has come from.
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby Im_Spartacus » Tue Jan 27, 2015 4:50 pm

Tokyo Blue wrote:1. He could be talking about golf, darts, pool, anything in the fucking world. From the facial expressions he is clearly not being serious, whatever he is talking about.

2. If I go to a bank and say to my mate next to me, "Fuck me, I'm skint. I could do with a few bob", does that make me a bank robber?

Come on mate, you're an intelligent guy. He specifically said 'we don't need to win this competition'

With all the best will in the world, arguing he is talking about darts, the world titty wobbling contest etc, are you wilfully ignoring the high likelihood that he was talking about Manchester City, in the context that he was at Manchester City, in Manchester City's tunnel, with members of the Manchester City team and coaching staff, whilst heading out to an FA Cup match.

I admire your attempt to deflect through loyalty, but it deflects from the wider issue of why he would say this and where that mentality has come from - which, in light of performances takes on a far wider significance than what Joe actually said
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Next

Return to The Maine Football forum