Chelsea v Manchester City views wanted for Chelsea site

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Chelsea v Manchester City views wanted for Chelsea site

Postby Lamps » Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:38 am

Hiya good folks of the better half of Manchester. I run a Chelsea site and I would be interested in your views regarding our game on Saturday.

(I know Chelsea are not an easy team to like, for various reasons but I have supported then since 1969 so I am not one of these plastic fans who has just jumped on board since the good times.)

These are the views I am interested in:

How do you feel City's season has gone so far this season?

What are your expectations in the Premier League and Champions League now?

Do you feel City MUST win at Stamford Bridge if you are to have a serious chance of retaining your title?

Finally, any particular memories of past encounters between Manchester City and Chelsea?

And finally, finally - a score prediction.

You can see a link to a few similar articles for rival fans that were up on our site. We are not the kind of site that rubbishes another team just for the sake of it but don’t worry how if your views are hostile to Chelsea. We are used to it.

Bradford fans views

Liverpool fans views

I will fully credit any contributors to the article and this site.

Regards
Lamps
Joey Barton's Twitter Account

Supporter of: Chelsea
My favourite player is: Frank Lampard

Re: Chelsea v Manchester City views wanted for Chelsea site

Postby City64 » Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:46 am

Happily settle for a draw on Saturday as we have been absolute shite the last two games . Badly missing Yaya and Nasri in midfield that said Aguero can win us any game on his own when fully fit so we will see . Lastly just for the record Maureen is an absolute cunt , thanks .
Not really here

Fuck VAR
City64
Paul Power's Tash

Location: Urmston, Shevington , The Etihad , In a bar anywhere watching MCFC
Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby Goaters 103 » Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:01 pm

Citys Season So Far
Fragmented. We've played in fits and starts, and finally put a run together from Nov till early January to claw our way back in the Prem Lge and get through in the Champs Lge; however we've chucked that straight back and it could get worse on Saturday. We've had too many injuries with Kompany, Silva, Aguero, Dzeko and Nasri all going down for long periods - Jovetic injuries don't count as he's always injured anyway. Toure pissing off again at a key time was something we knew was coming so cant be used as an excuse. The Bony signing will have little impact this year as the title race could be done before he even turns up. The domestic Cups have been a disaster, again going out of the FA Cup on our own patch to a Championship side, and in the Capital One losing on our own ground to Newcastles reserves.

Premier League and CL Expectations
Premier Lge wise we have to stay within 5 points or less of Chelsea to have a chance to put some pressure on and make it a genuine race. A loss on sunday and you cant see a Mourinho team tossing away an 8 point lead again but you never know I suppose. If Im predicting I think we finish runners up again. Champions League wise we will go out to Barca as they will destroy us on the break the way they are playing, and the way we are defending. It would be nice if we actually gave them a contest this time as we barely laid a glove on them last season.

Saturdays Game
Not a must win, but a must not lose. Id snap your hands off for a draw right now if it was on offer.

Past Encounters
Many to mention. Pat Nevin destroying us on a Friday night in 84 when Chelsea went up and we missed out; Jim Tolmie's free kick that same season, Clive Allen's late equaliser at the Bridge, Gianfranco Zola (what a player) getting warm applause in May 2001 in what was his last game at Maine Rd and against us, as an appreciation of the way he played the game; Nasri's late winner and the recent Cup semi at Wembley which was one of the longest last 15 mins of a game I can remember

Score prediction
Sadly 2-1 to Chelsea. Hope Im wrong but we are gifting goals away and cant score at the moment, and sans Toure and with Kompany and Aguero playing like they are pissed you've picked a great time to play us.
Goaters 103
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby iwasthere2012 » Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:10 pm

Lamps wrote:How do you feel City's season has gone so far this season?
Mixed bag really. Disappointed with the two cups, but think we're still well in there in the league. Started bad in UEFA Champs, but pleased with the two fingers they stuck up to those writing them off. We need more of that from them now.

Realistically, in the Champs League, I can't see us winning. I would be happy to see us get our shit together to beat Barca though. I think it would be the next statement layed down in our development.The PL could go two ways. Personally I'm expecting another strong finish to the season. We'll see then if Chelsea can handle the run in.

Do you feel City MUST win at Stamford Bridge if you are to have a serious chance of retaining your title?
No. I wouldn't like them to lose though, obviously, but we've been in worse situations than 8 points behind in February.Full fit squad for the last few months and I can see City finishing strong. My only reserve is that Chelsea are made of sterner stuff than Utd or Liverpool from the last two titles. If we are given a chance between now and May and don't take it, I don't think you'll offer a second time.

Finally, any particular memories of past encounters between Manchester City and Chelsea?
Other than drawing games we should have won and losing games we should have drawn, not really.

1-1
iwasthere2012
Denis Law's Backheel

My favourite player is: David Silva (was PabZab)

Postby Ted Hughes » Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:28 pm

I think it's been up & down but ok considering the number of injuries & the spending/ squad restrictions we had imposed by the cartel in order to keep Utd etc competitive. We have barely ever had our strongest team on the pitch, 100% fit, in two seasons so far, mostly down to injury or other unavailability. Won't be happening anytime soon either, but at least we now have a potential replacement for Negredo to come. If Mourinho, Redknapp, Wenger, Rodgers or Ferguson had won 9 games & clawed back to level at the top of the league often with no strikers whatsoever available, like Pellegrini did a few weeks back, Sky would erect a statue in the SSN studio to commemorate it. Not bad from that point of view.

Champions League; no idea which City will turn up, so totally open minded. Anything is possible, good or bad. Literally anything.

Premier League; I expect us to have bits of winning runs, cock up here & there, then (hopefully) still be in touch at the death, suddenly start playing our strongest available 11 every game (rather than rotating) & have a right good go at winning it. If we are in touching distance when the pressure kicks in, I expect us to win the title.

No. It would help a lot, obviously. But I feel the key is we must not be too far behind Chelsea for the final run in, however that comes about. Both teams will drop bollocks here & there, but that last hurdle is a killer & City are now absolutely brilliant at getting over it, if close enough. A long way to go between now & then. Shit will happen. I'd be perfectly happy with a draw.

Strangely enough, a game in the 70s at Maine Rd where we played pretty well in the snow, kept missing chances, then got done with some shoddy defending/keeping at set pieces & finally Clive Walker running off on his own with the orange ball to score the winner. Really pissed me off at the time. Bellamy & Tevez running riot a few seasons ago at your place was memorable, although I only saw that on tv.

And finally, finally - a score prediction. 2-1 City.
Last edited by Ted Hughes on Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby Wonderwall » Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:30 pm

Cheers Lamps, fans of other teams are always welcome, as long as they can talk some common sense, you are definitely in that bracket and more!

Lamps wrote:
Our season has been very stop start, a slow start after a world cup summer where we didn't get most of the team back in time to play in the Community shield, never mind pre-season training. Yaya and his cake gate pissed me off and was a stupid annoyance and distraction that was unnecessary. His brothers death was also a factor and he came back a shadow of the player he was at the end of last season.

Aguero's form this season has been fantastic until his injury, which was always going to happen, he just cannot stay fit. We have been really unlucky with a lot of injuries to key players, Kompany, Silva, Nasri, Aguero, Dzeko and Jovetic.

New signings
Sagna is a good squad player to cover for Zabaleta
Mangala is hit and miss with his best game coming against you at the Etihad - I expect him to come good with a season under his belt
Fernando is all over the place at the moment and another hit and miss - I expect him to come good with a season under his belt
Lampard - WELL WELL I have to say I am very shocked at what a positive impact the old man has had on us, he has been a very smart acquisition (despite the NYCFC loangate scandal)
Bony - I think this will be a very good signing, however time will tell.

Cups
I was pissed off at the manner of our cup exits and wasnt at all happy about the way we played in those games. Especially after having Wembley as a virtual 2nd home over the last few years. Its been nice to have the day out, but its not going to happen this year.

I expect us to challenge you for the title, with it going down to the wire. I think there is a lot of twists and turns ahead, but I don't see anyone other than City or Chelsea taking it.

With regards to the Champions league, I don't see us winning it, but I really want us to take the next step and beat Barcelona and get that little monkey off our back. If we do that then who knows, but we need to be firing on all cylinders for that to happen. I dont see any reason why we cannot bet them, IF our big players step up the plate, instead of being in awe of them like they were last time.

I see it more as a must NOT LOSE game, however, winning at Stamford Bridge, with your home record under Mourinho would be a very big boost for us. We know we can go on a long unbeaten run as we have done it many times and recently had a 15 game streak ended and we played much of that unbeaten streak without any strikers. However, if we do lose, I think 8 points is going to be extremely hard to claw back again.

My biggest memory of this fixture was as a 15 year old at Wembley in the Full Members cup final where we were 5-1 down with 5 or 6 minutes to go and we pulled it back to 5-4, I remember leaving Wembley feeling proud of the lads come back, even though we didn't win.
Speedie got a hat-trick that day, but I remember Pat Nevin being amazing down the wing.
A fact I wasn't aware of until the later years was, that Doug Rougvie scored an own goal to make it 5-3, he took it off the head of Mark Lillis from 2 yds out. If he hadn't and Lillis had scored, it would have been the fastest ever hat-trick at Wembley. All ifs and buts :-)

I am going for a very nervy 1-2 win for City
No Costa is a massive boost for us as he is a very good player, but I see Mourinho playing this very defensively without Costa and especially if Fabregas doesnt make it. IMO Fabregas is more important to Chelsea than Costa and if they are both out, I will be a very happy chappy.

Cheers
WW
Wonderwall

Supporter of: Gods own team

Postby mr_nool » Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:48 pm

Overall I'm quite happy, but obviously it hurts to claw back such a big gap to then just throw it away. I would probably have been happier if we had spread out the defeats. On the other hand, if you had asked me a three weeks ago, I would have been over the blue moon.

When we drew Barca I was very optimistic. They were clearly struggling and we looked ta have found our feet. Now it's all of a sudden the other way around.
However, if we could just find some defensive stability again, I reckon we have a good chance. And who know what happens if we do ...

In the league I'm expecting us to finish as runner-up, but I do think we still are in with a good shout for the title. I think Chelsea's lack of rotation will start taking its toll sooner rather than later.

Not at all, but it would be very sweet with a revenge for the draw at home. I thought we were by far the better team that day and felt we were totally robbed.

I'm gonna go for a fairly recent game: the home game in the 2009/2010 season. Incidentally it was Hughes' last game as City manager. We won 2-1 after two Adebayor goals (one own goal) and a Tevez penalty. It was the first game between the sides post-takeover where I thought that we were on a level playing filed. up until then I always thought Chelsea was stronger and better and that if we got anything out of a game, it was down to luck or heroic defending and a fluke goal. But during this game I really felt that we "had arrived".

0-2 to us.
Intelligent Vigilant Person
mr_nool
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Hazy2 » Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:05 pm

Lamps wrote:Hiya good folks of the better half of Manchester. I run a Chelsea site and I would be interested in your views regarding our game on Saturday.

(I know Chelsea are not an easy team to like, for various reasons but I have supported then since 1969 so I am not one of these plastic fans who has just jumped on board since the good times.)

Up and down, Nothing settled.

On current form an arse kicking, however we have to play our game and jump all over Barca, failure to play our game again and look terrified will be criminal

Yes no point pretending otherwise, we need a boost, where better, if we are not up for making a statement, we never will be.

And finally, finally - a score prediction. 0-2 Jose sent to the stands.

question is Jose loved despite being a massive twat.

You can see a link to a few similar articles for rival fans that were up on our site. We are not the kind of site that rubbishes another team just for the sake of it but don’t worry how if your views are hostile to Chelsea. We are used to it.

Bradford fans views

Liverpool fans views

Regards
Hazy2
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Silva

Postby Blue Since 76 » Thu Jan 29, 2015 2:27 pm

Lamps wrote:Hiya good folks of the better half of Manchester. I run a Chelsea site and I would be interested in your views regarding our game on Saturday.

Curate's egg. We haven't been as good as we were at the start in either recent title winning season, yet we're still in the hunt and were joint top a couple of games ago. Hopefully we'll have a stronger run in with players staying fit.

CL - valiant loss to Barca
PL - top 2, no more than 3 points either side of you

No. I suspect both sides will take the draw, but a loss for us wouldn't be disastrous - the same gap was there before Xmas.

Beating you at home in the first recent title winning season in a night game. Really nerve wracking, but we just steamrolled you and that's when I started to believe we could win it.
The Full Member's Cup Final - first trip to Wembley, left when we were 5-1 down absolutely gutted. Never left a game early since.

Dull 1-1 with 'must not lose' mentalities from both sides.

Regards
Blue Since 76
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby Slim » Thu Jan 29, 2015 3:40 pm

How do you feel City's season has gone so far this season? I felt this season was always going to be a struggle to match our previous effort. Not replacing Negredo was a blow and when we have two strikers made of glass and our one reliable striker gets injured, well things were bound to get interesting. It seems odd, but this does feel like a transitional season for us, last year it was more Mancini's team and this season I think Pellegrini is stamping his mark, whether that's a good or a bad thing will be decided in the next couple of years if he's given that long.

What are your expectations in the Premier League and Champions League now? I expect to win both, if not, what the hell are we doing in the competitions in the first place? Obviously the Premier League is down to two teams and I think we have it in us to beat Chelsea in the run in, I think if we're in touch of the top in the last six games, City have shown resolve in this area and I have no doubt they will again. In the Champion's League, well our pedigree could not be better tested than against Barca, if we are to win these are the teams we need to get over psychologically more than ability-wise.

Do you feel City MUST win at Stamford Bridge if you are to have a serious chance of retaining your title? No, a draw will suit us fine. Even a loss at this stage is not the end of the world, there is still a lot of football to play.

Finally, any particular memories of past encounters between Manchester City and Chelsea? Two games stick out in my memory, one good and one bad. Let's start with the good, cause it was so good. Nasri blitzing through the left channel, picking the ball up from Clichy, passing to Tevez who delights with a lovely reverse pass back into Nasri's path who chips the keeper into the right corner, City 2-1, Nasri removes his shirt and goes legging it down the touchline. Awesome. The second was not so good, but if you were a football fan, you really had to appreciate a young Frank Lampard. It was the 5-0 at Stamford Bridge back in 2003. Lampard ran the show that day and it was a masterclass that left our defensive midfielder MIA for most of the game(Poor Didi), I think it came on the back of a 5-1 against Arsenal, so it was a tough game to take, but you had to admire the class of Lampard that day. I have in my mind always had players I wanted to see in a City shirt. Aguero, Ronaldinho, Maldini and from that day, Frank Lampard.

And finally, finally - a score prediction. 2-2 City, I never pick us to lose any game, nor should any true fan of their club.

Is Jose loved despite being a massive twat. No, no he is not.

Bradford fans views

Liverpool fans views

Regards
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Mikhail Chigorin » Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:32 pm

Very briefly, I don't think City have done themselves justice this season and have been far too inconsistent for a variety of reasons which include injuries, loss of form, World Cup 'hangover' effects, lack of a proper pre-season, player unavailability, FFP Cartel victimisation etc.etc. just to name a few.

We've also been on the end of too many questionably sinister refereeing decisions, which make Mourinho's own claim of an agenda against Chelsea seem absolutely farcical by comparison.

Our cup form has been largely disastrous this season and I fear Barcelona will see us off in short order. I fully expect Chelsea to beat us by two or three goals at least on Saturday, given the currently porous state of our under-performing defence and, on that basis, the best we could then hope for would be to finish second in the League in this ongoing campaign.

Amongst all the disappointments of this season, at times (albeit too infrequently) we have played some really nice football and our performances towards the end of 2014, without any strikers whatsoever, were highly noteworthy, not that this would ever be recognised by the media who still hate us with an intensity that has continued largely unabated over the last six years or so.

With regard to Mourinho, I would hope that no City Manager ever conducts himself in the shameful way that this Portuguese character does. City are far better, more classy and more honourable than that.

One City v. Chelsea game that sticks in the mind, from long ago, was from the very early 1970s (without checking, it might even have been in 1970 itself). It was played at Stamford Bridge and Chelsea attacked throughout the entire 90 minutes with City being forced to defend doggedly. City had only three breakaway attacks, scored three times and won the game 3-0.

This game was most unusual, given the all out attacking style of the City side of that era and, all in all, it was a complete travesty. I'd give an arm and a leg for such a performance and such a result on Saturday.
Mikhail Chigorin
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

My favourite player is: Bert Trautmann

Postby Moonchesteri » Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:15 pm

Lamps wrote:How do you feel City's season has gone so far this season?
pissed off we threw away both domestic cups by losing at home to inferior teams which just shows complacency.
Overall, well let's just say there is room to improve.

Prem - a proper challenge for the title. None of this arse stuff where they claim to be challenging when they really just want the 4th spot.
Chumps - get out of the group is minimum and then as long as the lads put up a proper fight (unlike last year v Barca) then if we go out we go out.

no, but with a loss here and I think the gap would be too big

Yes. It was a good day when you lot beat us 6-0!
(I finally left my ex that day)

boring game, 1-0 chelsea and its Cahill who scores from a set piece

Moonchesteri
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: MCFC

Return to The Maine Football forum