Corners

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Corners

Postby Wonderwall » Tue Feb 03, 2015 11:53 am

We have gone from very good to insufferably bad... I have no idea what this stat means but its stop against bottom of the corner table on Saturday

http://www.footstats.co.uk/index.cfm?task=Leagues

Get your money on Hull to score from a corner....typical City!
Wonderwall
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Gods own team

Re: Corners

Postby Moonchesteri » Tue Feb 03, 2015 12:05 pm

I think the club/lads are trying to make yet another record for City.
Maybe they're aiming for thousand corners without scoring.
It must be 200 already?
Moonchesteri
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: MCFC

Postby john@staustell » Tue Feb 03, 2015 12:51 pm

Having watched Melbourne City on Sunday morning at 6am - I can assure you it is 'holistic' in the CFG. 15 corners to nil at one stage, still without any sign of a goal threat.
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: City

Postby Ted Hughes » Tue Feb 03, 2015 12:51 pm

We have the highest 'profile' in that table.

If you look at the teams closest to us, it's Arsenal & Chelsea.

I thnk you are looking at a table for number of corners for & against per game. Not the success/failure rate.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby Wonderwall » Tue Feb 03, 2015 12:59 pm

according to this article from Caughtoffside from November, we were 17th in the table of successful corner takers with 70 corners and 0 goals, we must surely have slipped to bottom by now.

http://www.caughtoffside.com/2014/11/03 ... nt-last/2/

Also, for all those hoping that Bony will help us in the department, think again, Swansea were 18th in the table!!
Wonderwall

Postby Mase » Tue Feb 03, 2015 1:03 pm

Don't we have to beat the first man to even have a chance?
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Warnock's Ref Rants
My favourite player is: Danny Tiatto

Postby Wonderwall » Tue Feb 03, 2015 1:03 pm

Can someone please explain to me why we dont have one of our players in front of whoever their first man is. It really is that simple IMO
Wonderwall

Postby Ted Hughes » Tue Feb 03, 2015 1:26 pm

I think trying to do that is part of the problem. We had a near post thing going on last year, with Vince Dzeko etc scoring from there. I think we do actually get that ball in still on numerous occasions, but everyone has seen it on video & is stopping anyone from winning the ball there. We still win the occasional one (Mangala has missed a couple & VK since he came back) but teams are wise to it. So even when we do get the ball in without fucking it up, the oppo are all over it.

We have tried outswingers to deeper in the box instead & they are more dangerous to us than they oppo.

Rethink required.
Last edited by Ted Hughes on Tue Feb 03, 2015 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby sheblue » Tue Feb 03, 2015 1:27 pm

It really has been annoying, every-time there is a corner we might as well just give the ball back for a goal kick, more chance of scoring from that. I know mistakes can be made but to constantly make a right horlicks of them time after time, its a bit much. Do they not practise them at all!!
Cant really remember that we looked like scoring from a corner.
sheblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Supporter of: city
My favourite player is: silva

Postby Ted Hughes » Tue Feb 03, 2015 1:29 pm

sheblue wrote:It really has been annoying, every-time there is a corner we might as well just give the ball back for a goal kick, more chance of scoring from that. I know mistakes can be made but to constantly make a right horlicks of them time after time, its a bit much. Do they not practise them at all!!

All the time. That's why we rarely concede from one.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Wonderwall » Tue Feb 03, 2015 1:30 pm

Ted Hughes wrote:
sheblue wrote:It really has been annoying, every-time there is a corner we might as well just give the ball back for a goal kick, more chance of scoring from that. I know mistakes can be made but to constantly make a right horlicks of them time after time, its a bit much. Do they not practise them at all!!

ha ha Ted, we rarely concede from an oppositions corner, but regularly concede within 15 seconds of one of our own corners
Wonderwall

Postby Sister of fu » Tue Feb 03, 2015 1:36 pm

One of lives mystery's is why a player of Silva's ability cant cross a ball from a corner. I can whip a ball in better than he can and miss the first man...
Sister of fu
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Uwe Rosler

Postby london blue 2 » Tue Feb 03, 2015 1:38 pm

Have to agree with WW. One of THE most frustrating things watching this team cock up corner after corner and then see our defence absolutely bricking it to recover. Credit to Jesus as hes often one of our most successful defensive playing when on the counter.
london blue 2
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: MCFC

Postby Ted Hughes » Tue Feb 03, 2015 1:41 pm

Wonderwall wrote:
Ted Hughes wrote:

ha ha Ted, we rarely concede from an oppositions corner, but regularly concede within 15 seconds of one of our own corners

We have been great at defending them this season. Only lost it when we started fucking about with the keepers. But those outswinger things are like an invitation to the oppo, to hit us on the break.

I think all teams overcomplicate it. Most should be played into a dangerous area, fight for the ball & you trust it to percentages; keep it alive in there if you can't get a contact. Then when you do use the training ground corner as a variation, they are not expecting it.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Wonderwall » Tue Feb 03, 2015 1:42 pm

london blue 2 wrote:Have to agree with WW. One of THE most frustrating things watching this team cock up corner after corner and then see our defence absolutely bricking it to recover. Credit to Jesus as hes often one of our most successful defensive playing when on the counter.

It almost happened versus Chelsea, however, Hazard came up against Navas and turned back. Imagine if he was up against anyone else, it would have been goodnight vienna!
Wonderwall

Postby Ted Hughes » Tue Feb 03, 2015 1:44 pm

Sister of fu wrote:One of lives mystery's is why a player of Silva's ability cant cross a ball from a corner. I can whip a ball in better than he can and miss the first man...

It's not just Silva; loads of top players fuck it up. Imo it's all the clever dick stuff they are attempting. They want to be so perfect getting the flight just right they end up screwing it into the ground. Miles better to just whack it in.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby sheblue » Tue Feb 03, 2015 4:59 pm

Ted Hughes wrote:

What about the other end????????
sheblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Supporter of: city
My favourite player is: silva

Postby Ted Hughes » Tue Feb 03, 2015 5:11 pm

sheblue wrote:
Ted Hughes wrote:

What about the other end????????

We have been discussing that, in this very thread.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby ruralblue » Tue Feb 03, 2015 5:29 pm

Bob

Could you not put yourself forward for taking corners? Maybe they will allow special measures based on the fact we can't even manage to lift the ball into the box. You surely couldn't do worse than what we are seeing at the moment.
I haven't a fecking clue what I'm doing! Gillie come back man I want my sig back. As the Photobucket thingy gone?
ruralblue
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Supporter of: MANCHESTER CITY
My favourite player is: KOMPANY / SILVA

Postby Wonderwall » Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:02 pm

Woohoo, we actually looked dangerous last night against barca and I think.....just think..... there might be a goal coming soon!
Wonderwall

Next

Return to The Maine Football forum