Neymar

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Neymar

Postby nottsblue » Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:52 pm

€865k a week. For five years.

Good work if you can get it.
nottsblue
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby johnny crossan » Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:42 am

getting messy now
https://en.as.com/en/2017/08/03/footbal ... 22235.html
Uefa warns PSG 'tell us how you're going to pay for Neymar' as Brazilian informs Barcelona he's leaving

Neymar is closing in on a move to PSG, but it has many opponents
Sam Wallace, chief football writer
2 AUGUST 2017 • 8:44PM
Uefa will demand to know how Paris Saint-Germain intend to finance their world-record £198 million transfer deal for Barcelona’s Brazilian superstar Neymar, with European football’s governing body reiterating its stance that financial fair play rules will be enforced.

On a dramatic day, Barcelona announced on Wednesday that Neymar, 25, had told them of his intention to leave and that in response had said he could only do so on payment of the £198 million (€222m) buy-out clause included in the new contract he signed last year.

It is anticipated that the Qatari-owned PSG will pay it in full although the structure of the deal, expected to be €450m in total, will have to pass Uefa’s financial fair play (FFP) rules.

Neymar is expected to earn around €55m a year before tax meaning that the total deal, spread over the course of a five-year contract, could cost €90m annually - almost a quarter of PSG’s current annual revenue of €389.6m.

In a statement to Telegraph Sport, Uefa reiterated its stance that FFP would be enforced, saying the organisation is “exceptionally serious” that clubs are not permitted to make losses in excess of €30 million over three years.

When the deal goes through it will more than double the current world-record transfer fee, the £89m paid by Manchester United to Juventus for Paul Pogba last summer, and it will make Neymar the world’s best-paid player.

His buy-out clause was intended as insurance that he would not leave Barcelona after overtures from PSG before he signed his last deal, although the Spanish club never anticipated that anyone would meet it.

The turning of the tables on Barca, ranked second in the world for turnover last season in the Deloitte Money League, has been met with anger in Spain where the president of La Liga, Javier Tebas, accused PSG of state-backed “financial doping”.

He said to Spanish newspaper AS that there would be a formal La Liga complaint to Uefa and the European Union about “the teams that receive economic investment from countries that gift players to their fans at the cost of taking them from other clubs.”

Show more
The deal marks a change in the financial dominance of Spain’s two leading clubs, Real Madrid and Barcelona, who, previous to PSG’s proposed Neymar deal, have signed the biggest names in world football from all over the world. It also has political implications for Qatar, isolated by sanctions imposed by its Middle East neighbours and eager to establish its credibility in football before it hosts the 2022 World Cup finals.

Barcelona are expected to make a further offer for Liverpool’s Philippe Coutinho although Jurgen Klopp has said once again that the club will not entertain offers at any level for the Brazilian. Barcelona may yet try to hit back by signing Monaco’s 18-year-old striker Kylian Mbappe, a target for Real Madrid this summer.

Uefa said in a statement that “all clubs must abide by the rules of FFP or face the consequences”. It added: “Uefa is exceptionally serious about the enforcement of FFP and keen that its success in stabilising the finances of European football continues.”

In response to a question about the Neymar deal, a Uefa spokesperson said that there had been no indication from PSG as to how they intended to make the transfer FFP-compliant.

Any deal will be concluded after the July 17 FFP deadline for this season and therefore will be included in financial disclosures for club licensing for 2018-19 Uefa competitions. In 2014, Uefa fined PSG €20m for breaching FFP regulations and maintains that the measures work, with losses across clubs in Europe’s top divisions falling from €1.7 billion in 2011 to €300m in 2015, and further reductions predicted.

Barcelona have already started removing Neymar from Nou Camp posters

Uefa’s FFP chief, Andrea Traverso, head of club licensing, has repeated in recent weeks that the organisation will pursue the FFP measures brought in by former president Michel Platini. While Fifa are responsible for regulating football’s transfer market, Uefa is also confident that there is no loophole that can be exploited by PSG owner’s, Qatari Sports Investments, to circumvent rules.

There have been reports that the Qatari state might pay Neymar the buy-out fee which he would lodge personally to achieve free agency, thus ensuring that any transfer fee was not paid by PSG. There are suggestions he may also be paid separately as an ambassador for the 2022 World Cup finals. Article 72 of the FFP regulations is intended to mitigate against any attempts by clubs to circumvent legislation.

When he told Barcelona formally of his intention to leave, Neymar was accompanied by his father and advisor Neymar senior, who will earn an eight-figure commission on the deal. The as-yet unpaid commission owed to him by Barcelona on his son’s October contact, believed to be around €23m, had been deposited with a lawyer and would be paid, the club said, on resolution of the player’s future.

Neymar was given what Barcelona described as “temporary permission” to miss training and was bid farewell via Instagram by his former team-mate, and the club’s greatest player, Lionel Messi, who wished him “the best of luck in this new stage of your life”.

Elsewhere in Barcelona the response has been more hostile, with posters accusing Neymar of being a “traitor” appearing around the city.

Uefa says it has a “dedicated and growing” department responsible for FFP which is administered by the Club Financial Control Body whose chief investigator is Yves Leterme, the former Belgian Prime Minister and deputy general secretary of the Organisation for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD).

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/201 ... barcelona/
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby Peter Doherty (AGAIG) » Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:59 am

So UEFA are stepping in on behalf of Barcelona? Hopefully PSG win this war and it'll be the end of the old guard.
Peter Doherty (AGAIG)
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Johan Cruyff

Postby john@staustell » Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:03 am

I don't expect UEFA to do anything of the sort. Juvenile reporting. Their concern is the accounts of the clubs, not how individual transfers are financed - the time to investigate is if the accounts don't comply with the rules.

Besides I think UEFA has finally realised that they shouldn't dictate to certain people with money and rfriends in high places - even though the people with money aren't really speaking to each other right now!

Funny how Platini got caught out eh?
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Postby blues-clues » Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:44 am

This might see a significant change in football contracts.

If release clauses cannot realistically be met without the buying clubs breaking the laws of the game then the validity of the contracts may be bought into question.

My understanding of Contract Law is that all parts of a contract must be legally enforceable or the entire contract is invalid.

I also understood that the role of La Liga in the Spanish system was to oversee the transfer, not to police the financial strength of the various parties. It seems that in this instance, when Neymar has arrived to deposit £198m they have objected to where the money is coming from...for the first time ever!

Either that or he turned up with the wrong sort of pound coins.

blues-clues
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: Man City
My favourite player is: Joe Corrigan

Postby PrezIke » Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:06 pm

La Liga didn't reject it from Neymar they rejected the cheque from PSG's lawyers citing that only Spanish clubs are guaranteed to be able to use the release clause. They claim Neymar can do it himself.

I think that would mean the price would go up even higher due to taxes. Amazing what they are doing. Bunch of hypocrites.
PrezIke
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

My favourite player is: KDBeezy

Postby City64 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:43 pm

Nothing here is being done for the good of football , a very messy power struggle yes . It was always going to come to this with the ridiculous amounts of money being thrown about by the clique and TV companies , the football and the fans suddenly irrelevant
Not really here

Fuck VAR
City64
Paul Power's Tash

Location: Urmston, Shevington , The Etihad , In a bar anywhere watching MCFC
Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby Sideshow Bob » Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:12 pm

blues-clues wrote:My understanding of Contract Law is that all parts of a contract must be legally enforceable or the entire contract is invalid.
[/img]

doubt it. most/all of these contracts would have a std severability/savings clause. but even without one, a court is unlikely to throw out the whole agt over this.
Sideshow Bob
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

My favourite player is: Jonny Evans

Postby JamieMCFC » Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:19 pm

PrezIke wrote:La Liga didn't reject it from Neymar they rejected the cheque from PSG's lawyers citing that only Spanish clubs are guaranteed to be able to use the release clause. They claim Neymar can do it himself.

I think that would mean the price would go up even higher due to taxes. Amazing what they are doing. Bunch of hypocrites.

The law was changed in 2016. The money forwarded to the player by the buying club is now tax free.
JamieMCFC
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby blues-clues » Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:40 pm

Sideshow Bob wrote:
blues-clues wrote:My understanding of Contract Law is that all parts of a contract must be legally enforceable or the entire contract is invalid.
[/img]

doubt it. most/all of these contracts would have a std severability/savings clause. but even without one, a court is unlikely to throw out the whole agt over this.

I am only musing to be honest - they will find a way to work it out long before it goes to court - I really meant that going forwards, if a billion pound exit clause cannot practically be applied under any circumstances then the contract is on dubious ground.

I'm not even close to being an expert in Contract Law but aren't "severance clauses" meant for minor variations and discrepancies? If the primary or sole termination event is unenforceable then how can the contract be ended?

For example if you use the severance clause below and get rid of the part of the contract that describes how the player can terminate it, then it is simply not a contract anymore.

"If any unlawful and/or unenforceable Clause would be lawful or enforceable if part of it were deleted, that part will be deemed to be deleted, and the rest of the Clause will continue in effect (unless that would contradict the clear intention of the parties, in which case the entirety of the relevant Clause will be deemed to be deleted)."
blues-clues
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: Man City
My favourite player is: Joe Corrigan

Postby Im_Spartacus » Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:10 pm

Gotta laugh at La Liga citing suspicion of state aid.

Fucking hypocrites
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Breasts

Postby Dunnylad » Thu Aug 03, 2017 3:05 pm

So if PSG use Neymar as a mule all will be fine?

Can he not buy himself out of his contract or would that cost more? He could cite irreconcilable differences with his current employers?

FFP won't apply until after accounts have been settled as PSG might recoup the fees by flogging their entire team - as unlikely as that is, FFP is not there so that clubs can prove how they are funding the purchase more that they are not living beyond their means or using unnatural funding to do so - although again doesn't apply until accounts are submitted so not now and not at the point of transfer. Even though we haven't spent circ. £200m on one player we still will need evidence that we haven't broken FFP rules.
"F****d it up,
Shot my Load,
Spewed onto the Motorway Shoulder,
I Could Have Been Somebody Special."
Dunnylad
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

My favourite player is: Georgi Kinkladze

Postby nottsblue » Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:18 pm

Barca confirm they have had the payment of his buyout clause, €222m, £198m.

So the reports of La Liga not accepting the payment are proved untrue. No way could they argue it's a breach of FFP. A club is allowed losses of £30m over a three year period. Thus surely PSG have the next three years to meet any financial obligations? And who is to say they won't sell him on in this period? Even if he were sold for £150m, that loss is better able to be absorbed into their finances.

Barcelona were just panicking as they haven't been in this position where a star name wanted to leave for some time.
nottsblue

Postby Im_Spartacus » Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:52 pm

I just wonder in amongst this story whether there was actually an attempt by the Qatar govt or someone connected with them to give Neymar the cash (perhaps in the form of a loan) and him pay the release clause.

If Neymar has been loaned the money by the club, then technically the club have not spent anything against FFP as a loan is not expenditure. Of course it would need to be accounted for in the end, but certainly wouldn't have to be written off as a loss in the books any time soon. I wonder if this is the reason La Liga got arsed about it, as if this is what happned, there is zero comeback on FFP.

Sounds extreme but there must be a cunning plan in play here for this transfer to make financial sense.
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby nottsblue » Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:56 pm

Im_Spartacus wrote:I just wonder in amongst this story whether there was actually an attempt by the Qatar govt or someone connected with them to give Neymar the cash (perhaps in the form of a loan) and him pay the release clause.

If Neymar has been loaned the money by the club, then technically the club have not spent anything against FFP as a loan is not expenditure. Of course it would need to be accounted for in the end, but certainly wouldn't have to be written off as a loss in the books any time soon. I wonder if this is the reason La Liga got arsed about it, as if this is what happned, there is zero comeback on FFP.

Sounds extreme but there must be a cunning plan in play here for this transfer to make financial sense.

Might a cunning plan involve the setting up a super league in Qatar around the time of the World Cup and the marquee signing for said football league be Neymar?
nottsblue

Postby Im_Spartacus » Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:24 pm

nottsblue wrote:
Im_Spartacus wrote:I just wonder in amongst this story whether there was actually an attempt by the Qatar govt or someone connected with them to give Neymar the cash (perhaps in the form of a loan) and him pay the release clause.

Might a cunning plan involve the setting up a super league in Qatar around the time of the World Cup and the marquee signing for said football league be Neymar?

If they were looking that far ahead, surely they could have just induced him to run his contract down at Barcelona and signed him for nothing in 2020?
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby Mase » Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:28 pm

And it now becomes clear why PSG offered Alves a stupid salary for someone his age to join them.
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Warnock's Ref Rants
My favourite player is: Danny Tiatto

Postby london blue 2 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:58 pm

If Jesus has a blinding season.... :?
london blue 2
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Saul Goodman » Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:59 pm

Why would they loan it? Neymar + dad could pay out of pocket and then be reinbursed by Qatar for being spokesperson for QC.
Thats the story i read. Could be bollox
Saul Goodman
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

My favourite player is: Bernardo Silva

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:28 pm

Im_Spartacus wrote:Gotta laugh at La Liga citing suspicion of state aid.

Fucking hypocrites

That is the fucking outrage on all of this.

Remember when Real was going bancrupt about ten years ago? They sold their training ground to city of Madrid for about ten times the price of the land and thennleased it back for euro a year or something like that with about thousand year lease. Financial fucking fair play. You got to be havin a laugh.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum