The Silver Lining Thread

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: The Silver Lining Thread

Postby bayblue » Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:45 pm

The good news.....cityitis is permanent but not fatal.
bayblue
Horlock's Aggressive Walk

Supporter of: city
My favourite player is: silva

Postby City64 » Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:13 pm

bayblue wrote:The good news.....cityitis is permanent but not fatal.

Yep and some want to celebrate being shite .

Just sayin .
Not really here

Fuck VAR
City64
Paul Power's Tash

Location: Urmston, Shevington , The Etihad , In a bar anywhere watching MCFC
Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby Hazy2 » Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:20 pm

He's not the Messiah. He's a very naughty boy! Now, piss off!
Hazy2
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Silva

Postby bayblue » Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:29 pm

City64 wrote:

Just sayin .

Agree. Amazed the Leicester fans are so happy.
bayblue
Horlock's Aggressive Walk

Supporter of: city
My favourite player is: silva

Postby Blue Since 76 » Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:33 pm

If we had a team with the average age of Liverpool or Spurs, I'd be delighted with second knowing we can only get better. However, this expensively assembled squad was done so with players supposedly in their prime, to provide immediate success. Last season, CL aside, it did. This season it looks a long way short and the concern is that the problems won't be resolved next season without some wholesale changes. Assuming the EDS players aren't ready yet since none of them ever get a game, we either struggle by with the existing players, risk kids or spend more than we can afford. Very holistic.

I have no idea what the strategy was, but it doesn't appear to be working.
Blue Since 76
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby City64 » Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:38 pm

bayblue wrote:
City64 wrote:

Just sayin .

Agree. Amazed the Leicester fans are so happy.

Haha good one ;-)
Not really here

Fuck VAR
City64
Paul Power's Tash

Location: Urmston, Shevington , The Etihad , In a bar anywhere watching MCFC
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby iwasthere2012 » Tue Mar 03, 2015 11:34 pm

So basically we should merge every thread together and just hold the same poxy argument in one giant poxy thread. There doesn't seem the need for a variety of threads at all. It's the same shite in them all at the moment.
And to think I started this thread with a blow job. Now that's nostalgia.
iwasthere2012
Denis Law's Backheel

My favourite player is: David Silva (was PabZab)

Postby WhyAlwaysMe? » Wed Mar 04, 2015 12:50 am

Maybe these facts might make a few of you slightly more optimistic:

1) On March 31, 2014, the Premier League table was as follows:
Barclays Premier League table on 31 March 2014.
P GD PTS
1 Liverpool 32 49 71
2 Chelsea 32 38 69
3 Man City 30 52 67

2) In last year's Champions League, the results against Barcelona were as follows:
Feb 18, 2014- City 0 vs Barcelona 2
March 12, 2014- Barcelona 2 vs City 1

So, City have scored one more home goal, compared to last year's corresponding fixture.

3) The team seems to thrive and win more matches and titles, when they are not leading and topping the table... So, we can only hope that this same pattern will repeat for this year!
If 93:20 Aguero-o-o-o doesn't remind us to never give up fighting, then nothing will !!
WhyAlwaysMe?
Superman's Underpants

Supporter of: Manchester City FC
My favourite player is: Sergio Aguero

Postby Original Dub » Wed Mar 04, 2015 8:21 am

WhyAlwaysMe? wrote:Maybe these facts might make a few of you slightly more optimistic:

P GD PTS
1 Liverpool 32 49 71
2 Chelsea 32 38 69
3 Man City 30 52 67

2) In last year's Champions League, the results against Barcelona were as follows:

So, City have scored one more home goal, compared to last year's corresponding fixture.

3) The team seems to thrive and win more matches and titles, when they are not leading and topping the table... So, we can only hope that this same pattern will repeat for this year!
If 93:20 Aguero-o-o-o doesn't remind us to never give up fighting, then nothing will !!

Best post of the thread.

Sure, we had games in hand in the premier league, but there were also plenty of wobbles at the top and these players have won the title twice, only when it was about to slip.

The nou camp game is most definitely not over.
Original Dub

Postby john@staustell » Wed Mar 04, 2015 8:23 am

Nah. We're fucked. Roll on the summer!
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: City

Postby iwasthere2012 » Wed Mar 04, 2015 12:49 pm

john@staustell wrote:Nah. We're fucked. Roll on the summer!

Start your own thread... call it Dark Cloud.
iwasthere2012
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby Blue Since 76 » Wed Mar 04, 2015 12:56 pm

WhyAlwaysMe? wrote:Maybe these facts might make a few of you slightly more optimistic:

P GD PTS
1 Liverpool 32 49 71
2 Chelsea 32 38 69
3 Man City 30 52 67

So we were 4 points behind with 2 games in hand, so 2 points clear if we did our job and we actually finished 2 points clear. How exactly does that equate to making up a five point defecit this season, without even considering Chelsea has a game in hand?

We also lost 4-1 on aggregate to Barca, so although a potential 4-2 this season is progress, it's a thin silver lining on a very big cloud.
Blue Since 76
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby twosips » Wed Mar 04, 2015 1:10 pm

Yeah I'm ever the optimist but that post doesn't even make sense. Circumstances are entirely different.
twosips
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: mcfc

Postby Nigels Tackle » Wed Mar 04, 2015 1:13 pm

man city 10 leicester 4 (all vk fuck ups)
west ham 1 chavs 0
ARMCHAIR FAN
Nigels Tackle
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Alan Oakes' 668 Games

Supporter of: man love
My favourite player is: riyad meh!rez

Postby Blue Since 76 » Wed Mar 04, 2015 1:20 pm

Nigels Tackle wrote:man city 10 leicester 4 (all vk fuck ups)
west ham 1 chavs 0

Bit early to be drinking on a school night. No way West Ham will score.
Blue Since 76
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby iwasthere2012 » Wed Mar 04, 2015 3:06 pm

Blue Since 76 wrote:
Nigels Tackle wrote:man city 10 leicester 4 (all vk fuck ups)
west ham 1 chavs 0

Bit early to be drinking on a school night. No way West Ham will score.

Terry O.G.
iwasthere2012
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby nottsblue » Wed Mar 04, 2015 3:07 pm

In response to the "silver lining".

I'm 41 and up until five and a half years ago I never in my wildest dreams thought we would win a cup, let alone the league. The rags had dominated the game for two decades nearly, punctuated by Chelsea and Arsenal having good pockets of success and even the dippers, though not league challengers, had won a number of trophies including the Champions League,(still rankles).

Then the Sheikh took over. Overnight, the club was transformed in many ways. At the time I suspect none of us foresaw the far reaching effect it had. The urban redevelopment of the area. The building of the academy, possibly the best sports training facility in world sport. The redevelopment of the Etihad. The huge increase in turnover and global awareness. The franchises in Melbourne, New York, Tokyo and goodness knows where next. All of this underpinned by huge success on the pitch. Players we would have expected to rock up at the swamp a couple of years earlier were now coming to us. A long, long overdue cup final win and that awful banner being taken down and shoved down the throat of the rags. Then the piece de resistance. 93:20 Aguerooooooooooooooooo. The most thrilling end to a season ever. That one moment probably propelled the club further than we ever realised in terms of goodwill and support around the globe. The fact the rags lost out just made it al the more sweeter.

The fact we didn't really go toe to toe with the rags the following year in defending the title didn't bother me so much then. We had won the cup and the league back to back. We finished second after all and it was still in the top 5/6 seasons in clubs history. I was still on a high from actually being champions. European failure again didn't bother me so much then either. I'm of the opinion that the domestic campaign is the bread and butter and anything else is secondary.

Last season we were spoilt rotten. Over 150 goals, over 100 in the league, four players topping 20 for the season. We blew sides away playing some of the best football the country had ever seen. Not only did we pip the dippers to a second title in three years, we also made a return trip to Wembley to win another trophy. Heaven.

This year has not lived up to the heights of last season. That's a given. We are still second in the league though and got through a tough Champion League group and had a tough draw in next round. In the main I am still thrilled with what we have achieved in a relatively short space of time. Compared to following City through the 80s and 90s to what we have now is just not even on the same planet. A season for arguments sake where we finish third and it's considered a poor one? Not for me. It's another good season in my eyes. We have finished 3,1,2,1 and are on course to finish 2nd again. Over the last five years, that puts us as the most consistent team in the Prem. Not chavs or dippers or rags or arse. CITY. Coupled with the progress the academy is making the future is bright. Yes, I imagine we would all like to have seen some progress in the first team for some of these lads, but maybe there is a reason for that. Pressure for one. Maybe our policy is send lads on loan first to build experience then integrate them into the squad after, like with Cole, Denayer, Lopez to name three. If so, I suspect next season we'll see more of them. Hope so.

Changing the manager now would be disastrous. Unless the guy who we would have gone for after Pellegrini becomes available in the summer, changing Pellegrini in the summer may also work against us. Unless he has lost the dressing room that is. In which case those players, who incidentally are possibly the same ones who helped remove Mancini, need fucking off immediately as well no matter who they are.

Supporting City is not a choice. It is who we are. There will be ups and downs, probably a lot more ups in the next decade than downs but you can't win everything all the time. Or even play well all the time. Do winners not grind out results? Would I change anything about how the season has gone? Possibly, but it is what it is. Nobody is perfect. I love City no matter what and the silver lining for me is that warm feeling when we win a game, or play really well. A smile on my face. Simple as that really and just lately there's been a bit more of that. Happy days indeed
nottsblue
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby iwasthere2012 » Wed Mar 04, 2015 3:24 pm

nottsblue wrote:In response to the "silver lining".

I'm 41 and up until five and a half years ago I never in my wildest dreams thought we would win a cup, let alone the league. The rags had dominated the game for two decades nearly, punctuated by Chelsea and Arsenal having good pockets of success and even the dippers, though not league challengers, had won a number of trophies including the Champions League,(still rankles).

Then the Sheikh took over. Overnight, the club was transformed in many ways. At the time I suspect none of us foresaw the far reaching effect it had. The urban redevelopment of the area. The building of the academy, possibly the best sports training facility in world sport. The redevelopment of the Etihad. The huge increase in turnover and global awareness. The franchises in Melbourne, New York, Tokyo and goodness knows where next. All of this underpinned by huge success on the pitch. Players we would have expected to rock up at the swamp a couple of years earlier were now coming to us. A long, long overdue cup final win and that awful banner being taken down and shoved down the throat of the rags. Then the piece de resistance. 93:20 Aguerooooooooooooooooo. The most thrilling end to a season ever. That one moment probably propelled the club further than we ever realised in terms of goodwill and support around the globe. The fact the rags lost out just made it al the more sweeter.

The fact we didn't really go toe to toe with the rags the following year in defending the title didn't bother me so much then. We had won the cup and the league back to back. We finished second after all and it was still in the top 5/6 seasons in clubs history. I was still on a high from actually being champions. European failure again didn't bother me so much then either. I'm of the opinion that the domestic campaign is the bread and butter and anything else is secondary.

Last season we were spoilt rotten. Over 150 goals, over 100 in the league, four players topping 20 for the season. We blew sides away playing some of the best football the country had ever seen. Not only did we pip the dippers to a second title in three years, we also made a return trip to Wembley to win another trophy. Heaven.

This year has not lived up to the heights of last season. That's a given. We are still second in the league though and got through a tough Champion League group and had a tough draw in next round. In the main I am still thrilled with what we have achieved in a relatively short space of time. Compared to following City through the 80s and 90s to what we have now is just not even on the same planet. A season for arguments sake where we finish third and it's considered a poor one? Not for me. It's another good season in my eyes. We have finished 3,1,2,1 and are on course to finish 2nd again. Over the last five years, that puts us as the most consistent team in the Prem. Not chavs or dippers or rags or arse. CITY. Coupled with the progress the academy is making the future is bright. Yes, I imagine we would all like to have seen some progress in the first team for some of these lads, but maybe there is a reason for that. Pressure for one. Maybe our policy is send lads on loan first to build experience then integrate them into the squad after, like with Cole, Denayer, Lopez to name three. If so, I suspect next season we'll see more of them. Hope so.

Changing the manager now would be disastrous. Unless the guy who we would have gone for after Pellegrini becomes available in the summer, changing Pellegrini in the summer may also work against us. Unless he has lost the dressing room that is. In which case those players, who incidentally are possibly the same ones who helped remove Mancini, need fucking off immediately as well no matter who they are.

Supporting City is not a choice. It is who we are. There will be ups and downs, probably a lot more ups in the next decade than downs but you can't win everything all the time. Or even play well all the time. Do winners not grind out results? Would I change anything about how the season has gone? Possibly, but it is what it is. Nobody is perfect. I love City no matter what and the silver lining for me is that warm feeling when we win a game, or play really well. A smile on my face. Simple as that really and just lately there's been a bit more of that. Happy days indeed

But?
There has to be a but. Have you not been reading this thread, that's far too upbeat. There has to be a BUT....

No seriously. That's what I'm talking about. Nobody is saying that the way things are going isn't disappointing, but the season isn't over yet. Nobody really knows how it will end in May, but assuming we don't win it, the disappointment is all relative when you consider all you mention above, especially your opening paragraph. I understand people are hurting right now because we know the potential of this team, but don't seem to be seeing it on the field, but like I said the season isn't over. We don't know what may happen.
I don't have a crystal ball, but I do have nerves of steel, a will of iron, a heart of gold.................and a knob of butter.
iwasthere2012
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby WhyAlwaysMe? » Wed Mar 04, 2015 7:13 pm

Original Dub wrote:
Best post of the thread.

Sure, we had games in hand in the premier league, but there were also plenty of wobbles at the top and these players have won the title twice, only when it was about to slip.

The nou camp game is most definitely not over.

Original Dub, many thanks for being a rare fellow optimist! When Joe Hart saved Messi's penalty kick and with City playing better away from home, it left me with hope for the next match with Barcelona. I always feel we have a better chance in the Premier League, rather than the Champions League though. City are definitely capable of pulling off miracles, so let's keep the faith!!
WhyAlwaysMe?
Superman's Underpants

Supporter of: Manchester City FC
My favourite player is: Sergio Aguero

Postby iwasthere2012 » Tue Mar 10, 2015 1:54 pm

At least United are going another year winning nothing and looking dodgy for fourth........

Is it too soon? It is too soon.... OK I'll get back in my box.
iwasthere2012
Denis Law's Backheel

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum