Diego Simeone

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Diego Simeone

Postby london blue 2 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:34 pm

Mase wrote:I actually think we've played better football under Mancini.

Tevez, Aguero, Yaya in full flow, and Dave were brilliant together on/in their day. But with a very very good defence behind them. It wa lad fantastic football.

You enjoy the playing from the back?

Those early days when the marauding micah had the most league assists...

Great balance we had back then.
london blue 2
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: MCFC

Postby PrezIke » Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:31 pm

Tevez, Aguero, Yaya in full flow, and Dave were brilliant together on/in their day. But with a very very good defence behind them. It was fantastic football.

You enjoy the playing from the back? I can't stand it myself.

We had a much better squad then. Let's be real.
PrezIke
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: KDBeezy

Postby PrezIke » Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:32 pm

Douglas Higginbottom wrote:It's a big no from me to Simeone and the very thought of replacing Pep now I see as laughable.

Has he made mistakes of course he has and he will no doubt make more. I personally don't think replacing Joe Hart was one of them even if bringing in Bravo was! He just went for someone he believed in and it was a mistake.

Has he underestimated the premier league ? It's onr of the big things the media/pundits are throwing around. Maybe but personally I don't think so.

Has he overestimated the quality of our defenders and their ability to defend. Absolutely I think he did. Comments about how good a center back Kolarov is/was was all about trying to motivate. To a degree it worked but you get found out a bit too often.

Has he changed the team around too much.Well I suppose the answer to that has to be yes albeit part of that would be down to injuries and some was trying to get a defensive set up that would work. For me he hasn't used our youngsters enough in these changes especially in the earlyish months when we had quite a lot of injuries.

Have we been unlucky with shocking refereeing. Quite blatantly we have. Just thinking of 4 or 5 games and it has cost close to 10 points which would put our league position into a better perspective.

I think we are playing good football to watch and I expect it to get better over the next seasons where I expect us to be able to defend better and be more clinical in front of goal. That means we have to get rid of some deadwood and bring in the right quality. Obviously only time will tell on that but I am confident.

There are plenty who just seem to think Pep is a massive failure but I think the reference to tiki taka football not suiting the premier league bla bla just defeats their credibility totally. He doesn't play or like that football whatever it is. I remain baffled at fans who want him out now and who think he is runing the club and similar garbage.The radio shows find these people (they could be reds as that's what I would expect them to come on and say as they laughed) and it's as if we have a divine right all of a sudden. i.e. just what we have accused scum fans of for years.

When Pep arrived we knew, even if the media spouted crap about how we should win everything now we have Pep and unlimited money, that we were anything but a title winning side.The early run of results made it seem the media were right and that put added pressure and expectation on but again we knew we were not playing that well and especially at home had squeaked a few results.

We were the team in real transition not Liverpool or the scum but allowances were made for them and not us as soon as a few results went wrong.As I say time will tell how well we recruit and perform over the next 2 years but I remain supremely confident that Pep is the right man for City. Simeone might do a good job but I suspect I wouldn't enjoy the football anything like as much.

You're talking too much sense.
PrezIke
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

My favourite player is: KDBeezy

Postby Mase » Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:43 am

PrezIke wrote:

Tevez, Aguero, Yaya in full flow, and Dave were brilliant together on/in their day. But with a very very good defence behind them. It was fantastic football.

Let's be real, we've spent how many millions since Mancini left to 'improve' the squad and has it improved?

Has the football improved? Did we concentrate on keeping a tight defence and scoring goals back then? Or did we fuck about with it at the back for ten minutes inviting pressure on to us when we've had 6 shots to the oppositions none, only for someone to panic at the back, give the ball away and them to score from nothing. But it's all okay because in the match we had 800 passes.

Be real, the football was better under Mancini and that was from the off. From his first summer.
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Warnock's Ref Rants
My favourite player is: Danny Tiatto

Postby Nigels Tackle » Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:28 am

Mase wrote:
PrezIke wrote:

Let's be real, we've spent how many millions since Mancini left to 'improve' the squad and has it improved?

Has the football improved? Did we concentrate on keeping a tight defence and scoring goals back then? Or did we fuck about with it at the back for ten minutes inviting pressure on to us when we've had 6 shots to the oppositions none, only for someone to panic at the back, give the ball away and them to score from nothing. But it's all okay because in the match we had 800 passes.

Be real, the football was better under Mancini and that was from the off. From his first summer.

the rot set in when nedum's mum kicked off at cook and forced him to resign.
since then the spafia have taken us backwards on the pitch. no one can deny that.
THEY HAVE TO GO!
ARMCHAIR FAN
Nigels Tackle
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Alan Oakes' 668 Games

Supporter of: man love
My favourite player is: riyad meh!rez

Postby Original Dub » Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:45 am

Nigels Tackle wrote:
Mase wrote:
PrezIke wrote:

since then the spafia have taken us backwards on the pitch. no one can deny that.
THEY HAVE TO GO!

You want to get rid of Soriano??

Holy fuck. Txiki I get, but getting rid of soriano is just a crazy suggestion.
Original Dub

Postby johnny crossan » Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:57 am

Original Dub wrote:
Nigels Tackle wrote:
Mase wrote:
PrezIke wrote:

THEY HAVE TO GO!

You want to get rid of Soriano??

Holy fuck. Txiki I get, but getting rid of soriano is just a crazy suggestion.

Trouble is, as has been pointed out many times, with these boys it's a case of all for one and one for all :?
Watch on youtube.com

johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby Moonchesteri » Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:35 am

Mase wrote:
PrezIke wrote:

that really is something where Marwood/Txixi have fucked up

But this I cannot agree with. Imho we were still relatively poor for the first 1,5years (if Dave S went off the field for example our passing play collapsed completely) but we were solid at the back.

But the title winning season...now that was good football.
Moonchesteri
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby sheblue » Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:46 am

I liked Mancini but we all tend to look back fondly.
It has been forgotten that a lot of our champions league performances under him were shocking.
sheblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Supporter of: city
My favourite player is: silva

Postby Mikhail Chigorin » Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:51 am

sheblue wrote:I liked Mancini but we all tend to look back fondly.
It has been forgotten that a lot of our champions league performances under him were shocking.

That's a fair point.

However, personally I've never been over enamoured with the Champions League so, in a daft way, I didn't mind those performances quite so much.
Mikhail Chigorin
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Bert Trautmann

Postby Mase » Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:51 am

Moonchesteri wrote:
Mase wrote:
PrezIke wrote:

But this I cannot agree with. Imho we were still relatively poor for the first 1,5years (if Dave S went off the field for example our passing play collapsed completely) but we were solid at the back.

In the 2010–11 season, his first full season at Manchester City, Mancini guided the club to Champions League football and the FA Cup.

How often did Silva go off mate, out of interest?
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Mase » Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:52 am

Mikhail Chigorin wrote:

That's a fair point.

However, personally I've never been over enamoured with the Champions League so, in a daft way, I didn't mind those performances quite so much.

Our first trophy for thirty-odd years, and winning the prem. I could careless what he did in the Chumps League as well.
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby aaron bond » Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:13 am

Mase wrote:
Mikhail Chigorin wrote:

That's a fair point.

Our first trophy for thirty-odd years, and winning the prem. I could careless what he did in the Chumps League as well.

Not to mention a bad season under Mancini was finishing runners up in the league and the FA Cup.

Now we're struggling to make top 4.
aaron bond
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:15 am

We only really played good football under Mancini for four months, we were strong under him but the first few months of that season was the only time we played truly good football under him ( same as Pellegrini as it goes, around 3/4 months of good football ). Some of our performances in the second half of that season were inept.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Euthanasia

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:18 am

Douglas Higginbottom wrote:It's a big no from me to Simeone and the very thought of replacing Pep now I see as laughable.

Has he made mistakes of course he has and he will no doubt make more. I personally don't think replacing Joe Hart was one of them even if bringing in Bravo was! He just went for someone he believed in and it was a mistake.

Has he underestimated the premier league ? It's onr of the big things the media/pundits are throwing around. Maybe but personally I don't think so.

Has he overestimated the quality of our defenders and their ability to defend. Absolutely I think he did. Comments about how good a center back Kolarov is/was was all about trying to motivate. To a degree it worked but you get found out a bit too often.

Has he changed the team around too much.Well I suppose the answer to that has to be yes albeit part of that would be down to injuries and some was trying to get a defensive set up that would work. For me he hasn't used our youngsters enough in these changes especially in the earlyish months when we had quite a lot of injuries.

Have we been unlucky with shocking refereeing. Quite blatantly we have. Just thinking of 4 or 5 games and it has cost close to 10 points which would put our league position into a better perspective.

I think we are playing good football to watch and I expect it to get better over the next seasons where I expect us to be able to defend better and be more clinical in front of goal. That means we have to get rid of some deadwood and bring in the right quality. Obviously only time will tell on that but I am confident.

There are plenty who just seem to think Pep is a massive failure but I think the reference to tiki taka football not suiting the premier league bla bla just defeats their credibility totally. He doesn't play or like that football whatever it is. I remain baffled at fans who want him out now and who think he is runing the club and similar garbage.The radio shows find these people (they could be reds as that's what I would expect them to come on and say as they laughed) and it's as if we have a divine right all of a sudden. i.e. just what we have accused scum fans of for years.

When Pep arrived we knew, even if the media spouted crap about how we should win everything now we have Pep and unlimited money, that we were anything but a title winning side.The early run of results made it seem the media were right and that put added pressure and expectation on but again we knew we were not playing that well and especially at home had squeaked a few results.

We were the team in real transition not Liverpool or the scum but allowances were made for them and not us as soon as a few results went wrong.As I say time will tell how well we recruit and perform over the next 2 years but I remain supremely confident that Pep is the right man for City. Simeone might do a good job but I suspect I wouldn't enjoy the football anything like as much.

Well said Doug, couldn't agree more.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Euthanasia

Postby johnny crossan » Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:34 pm

We'll all laugh about this thread and similar ones next season......possibly for different reasons ;)
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby sheblue » Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:47 pm

Mase wrote:
Mikhail Chigorin wrote:

That's a fair point.

That may well be true but Mancini cared.
sheblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Supporter of: city
My favourite player is: silva

Postby Moonchesteri » Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:18 pm

Mase wrote:
Moonchesteri wrote:
Mase wrote:
PrezIke wrote:

In the 2010–11 season, his first full season at Manchester City, Mancini guided the club to Champions League football and the FA Cup.

How often did Silva go off mate, out of interest?

yes and it was success I agree but the football was not always a sight to behold.

out of interest i checked premier league games from start of 10-11 season until 01-01-2011 and Silva was substituted nine times. gave up at that point tho so no idea how often during all season
Moonchesteri
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Previous

Return to The Maine Football forum