mls on sky

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: mls on sky

Postby Beefymcfc » Mon Mar 16, 2015 6:49 am

Sheikh Mansour has just struck gold.
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby Sister of fu » Mon Mar 16, 2015 7:19 am

halnone wrote:Finally got back from my night out in new York. The atmosphere was incredible. I really wasn't expecting it to be like that.

Also, I don't understand the criticism of the stadium or the pitch. From my view, everything was fine. The place was packed. I had an incredible time really

I bet that didn't run out of food either like at Turf Moor.
Sister of fu
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Uwe Rosler

Postby twosips » Mon Mar 16, 2015 7:39 am

halnone wrote:Finally got back from my night out in new York. The atmosphere was incredible. I really wasn't expecting it to be like that.

Also, I don't understand the criticism of the stadium or the pitch. From my view, everything was fine. The place was packed. I had an incredible time really

Sure it was fine there but it just looked fucking weird on tele. Angle looked incredibly amateur.

Fair play though - the crowd seemed a billion times better than the dross at the Etihad. Surprised at how rapturous the fans were. Looks like the MLS is really taking off.

Also, this vines brilliant.

https://twitter.com/talkingtikitaka/sta ... 7395818497

Villa was class.
twosips
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: mcfc

Postby john@staustell » Wed Mar 18, 2015 9:18 am

Watched my recording last night. Must say, like others I was surprised by the atmosphere and the crowd of 43,000 - massive sea of blue.

Seeing it is a brand new team and they haven't had anything to watch since Denis Tueart it was amazing. Could be on to a winner here. If only the parent team would win..............................
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: City

Postby mr_nool » Sat Mar 21, 2015 8:11 pm

NYC - Colorado just started on Eurosport2. This is the third game they show (that I've seen) and it's all been NYC games.
Dunno if it's just a coincident.
Intelligent Vigilant Person
mr_nool
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Postby Beefymcfc » Sat Mar 21, 2015 8:34 pm

I used to watch the MLS round-up before setting off for work at around 0500 hrs on a Monday morning and even though the quality of football wasn't the greatest the crowds were amazing.

I like that attitude, enjoying it as you've paid for it.
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby mr_nool » Sat Mar 21, 2015 8:38 pm

Beefymcfc wrote:I used to watch the MLS round-up before setting off for work at around 0500 hrs on a Monday morning and even though the quality of football wasn't the greatest the crowds were amazing.

The quality is very poor indeed. I prefer the Dutch league, to be honest, and that's not exactly world class.
But you're right about the atmosphere. Crazy fucker getting drunk and eating hot dogs at that time of day!
Intelligent Vigilant Person
mr_nool
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Aggressive Walkling » Sat Mar 21, 2015 8:55 pm

Beefymcfc wrote:I used to watch the MLS round-up before setting off for work at around 0500 hrs on a Monday morning and even though the quality of football wasn't the greatest the crowds were amazing.

Agreed as to the quality and atmosphere. It is a fun day out as far as watching live. I am in the US and will usually go a couple times every year. Deffo catching NYCFC at Dallas this September.
Aggressive Walkling
De Michelis's Pace

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Super Kevin Horlock

Postby sheblue » Sat Mar 21, 2015 10:28 pm

Watched some of that NYC v Colorado whoever and God it was awful stuff. Each to their own.
sheblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: city
My favourite player is: silva

Postby halnone » Sun Mar 22, 2015 2:15 am

It's not the best quality, but it's usually a good time. I recently moved to the US and just bought season tickets for the equivalent of 65 quid.

It gives me something to do on Saturdays at least.
halnone
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Silva

Postby DoomMerchant » Sun Mar 22, 2015 3:52 am

sheblue wrote:Watched some of that NYC v Colorado whoever and God it was awful stuff. Each to their own.

It's about League 1 quality I think. I watched the Orlando City match tonight. Dire stuff. The worst part, okay second worst after the footy, is the local media's insistence on calling them "The Lions."

Cheers
viVa el ciTy!

"All things considered, there's absolutely no escape from this hellish situation. I'm prepared to take the coward's way out if you are. It's reincarnation or nothing." -- Gideon Stargrave

DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: MCFC. OK.
My favourite player is: The Game

Postby Ted Hughes » Sun Mar 22, 2015 6:19 am

DoomMerchant wrote:
sheblue wrote:Watched some of that NYC v Colorado whoever and God it was awful stuff. Each to their own.

It's about League 1 quality I think. I watched the Orlando City match tonight. Dire stuff. The worst part, okay second worst after the footy, is the local media's insistence on calling them "The Lions."

Cheers

Uniquely stupid names, is the highpoint.

There's something you can't quite put your finger on, but for example, if Ned Grabavoy had been born, & played football, in Doncaster, he still would have ended up in the USA, as in the case of Mix Diskerud.

If Shaun Wright Phillips had instead been christened Bradley, it would be he, & not his brother, topping the scoring charts over there. They have a choice of City's academy kids, so of course, they pick Shay Facey.

I can only guess, but surely Wayne Biggins must be coaching there somewhere ?
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby Aggressive Walkling » Sun Mar 22, 2015 4:39 pm

DoomMerchant wrote:

Cheers

Was thinking you meant Ligue Un and coming on to argue that point. But yes, having watched both in my day "Football League One" is about where I'd put it.

Nice to go to, though. If not for the quality of the football - cheap, good atmosphere, always end up chatting with fans from all over the world showing up to get a live fix.

I find some MLS fans to be a bit tiresome - some are almost RAWKish in their delusion about the quality of the whole setup. An MLS side beats the Chavski U21s in a summer friendly some year and suddenly it is all about how an MLS club could beat any PL club "on their day." That's obviously not all of them, of course. Most are perfectly nice people.

And yes, the names are ridiculous. You either get the likes of the "New England Revolution" on one side or some utterly daft, out of context knockoff of a European side. "Real" Salt Lake? There is a King in Utah, then? And 95% of Houston Dynamo supporters would probably be gobsmacked by the historic association of Dyanmo sides with old Eastern bloc secret police services.
Aggressive Walkling
De Michelis's Pace

Postby john@staustell » Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:13 am

'Real' Salt Lake does sort of get to me. Would be unlike Alfonso XIII to confer royal approval on a US team.
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Postby DoomMerchant » Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:29 am

john@staustell wrote:'Real' Salt Lake does sort of get to me. Would be unlike Alfonso XIII to confer royal approval on a US team.

yeah that one amuses the fuck out of me. Esp. given the Mormon angle, etc

What can you expect tho at some level? We're trying to adopt something that's completely out of our wheelhouse. We're bound to fuck up some of the particulars in comedic fashion.

cheers
viVa el ciTy!

"All things considered, there's absolutely no escape from this hellish situation. I'm prepared to take the coward's way out if you are. It's reincarnation or nothing." -- Gideon Stargrave

DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: MCFC. OK.
My favourite player is: The Game

Postby PrezIke » Mon Mar 23, 2015 6:38 pm

DoomMerchant wrote:
john@staustell wrote:'Real' Salt Lake does sort of get to me. Would be unlike Alfonso XIII to confer royal approval on a US team.

yeah that one amuses the fuck out of me. Esp. given the Mormon angle, etc

What can you expect tho at some level? We're trying to adopt something that's completely out of our wheelhouse. We're bound to fuck up some of the particulars in comedic fashion.

cheers

so much so that a favorite american sport past time of using acronyms instead (mls, epl) i believe is the more commonly used way the team is referred to (rsl).
PrezIke
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

My favourite player is: KDBeezy

Postby JamieMCFC » Tue Mar 24, 2015 4:20 pm

My local team Minnesota United FC will be announced as the 23rd expansion team tomorrow.

JamieMCFC
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby Aggressive Walkling » Tue Mar 24, 2015 6:06 pm

JamieMCFC wrote:My local team Minnesota United FC will be announced as the 23rd expansion team tomorrow.

Well there's a shit name for a club if there ever was one!

Nice crest, though!
Aggressive Walkling
De Michelis's Pace

Postby Wonderwall » Tue Mar 24, 2015 6:10 pm

Aggressive Walkling wrote:
JamieMCFC wrote:My local team Minnesota United FC will be announced as the 23rd expansion team tomorrow.

Nice crest, though!

ha ha ha, just realised LOL and I totally agree!
Wonderwall

Supporter of: Gods own team

Postby nottsblue » Tue Mar 24, 2015 6:26 pm

Wonderwall wrote:
Aggressive Walkling wrote:

Nice crest, though!

ha ha ha, just realised LOL and I totally agree!

Crest looks too much like a Liver bird for my liking
nottsblue

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum