Man City sign 14-year-old prospect Jadon Sancho from Watford

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Man City sign 14-year-old prospect Jadon Sancho from Wat

Postby South Stand Balti » Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:12 pm

Hutch's Shoulder wrote:
Dubciteh wrote:Its not good for us that he has made his england debut a year after leaving our “acclaimed” academy, it might make it difficult in the future to hang on to decent players.

Look at diaz for eg, as good if not better than sancho and cant even get a seat on the bench when it matters. Why would you stay?

Takes balls to do what sancho has done and fair play to him but it doesnt bode well for us. We are lucky foden is a blue through and through...

On the other hand, the fact that we have produced an England player, no doubt soon to be two when Foden gets the call, may well help to attract the best kids in the first place.

That's a good point. I also think the club will be happy if they are selling graduates for £8m plus sell on fees. He is not the first to move on that has brought good money in. It's a bit cynical but academies are a good income source.
South Stand Balti
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: Manchester City FC
My favourite player is: Yaya

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:40 pm

The lad is a natural. We can claim a little bit of credit for his development but I suspect he was going to be special anyway. Coming to City was probably important for his career so he could focus on his football discipline to go along with the amazing talent he already had. Good for him to get away from the life he was in danger of falling into.

My first viewing of him at least 2 years back was wow!!! Scored 2 I think in an 18's game in the first 15 minutes but it was his confidence, dribbling skills, quality of touch , awareness that really stood out. Just loved watching him play and stil do.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby South Stand Balti » Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:53 pm

Douglas Higginbottom wrote:The lad is a natural. We can claim a little bit of credit for his development but I suspect he was going to be special anyway. Coming to City was probably important for his career so he could focus on his football discipline to go along with the amazing talent he already had. Good for him to get away from the life he was in danger of falling into.

My first viewing of him at least 2 years back was wow!!! Scored 2 I think in an 18's game in the first 15 minutes but it was his confidence, dribbling skills, quality of touch , awareness that really stood out. Just loved watching him play and stil do.

Is he better than Diaz, Doug?
South Stand Balti
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: Manchester City FC
My favourite player is: Yaya

Postby Mase » Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:03 pm

He was in with gangs and HAD to move abroad. Didn't help Pep doesn't play kids that are better than players in front of them because Pep's bought them so has a point to prove.
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Warnock's Ref Rants
My favourite player is: Danny Tiatto

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:41 pm

South Stand Balti wrote:
Hutch's Shoulder wrote:
Dubciteh wrote:Its not good for us that he has made his england debut a year after leaving our “acclaimed” academy, it might make it difficult in the future to hang on to decent players.

Look at diaz for eg, as good if not better than sancho and cant even get a seat on the bench when it matters. Why would you stay?

Takes balls to do what sancho has done and fair play to him but it doesnt bode well for us. We are lucky foden is a blue through and through...

On the other hand, the fact that we have produced an England player, no doubt soon to be two when Foden gets the call, may well help to attract the best kids in the first place.

That's a good point. I also think the club will be happy if they are selling graduates for £8m plus sell on fees. He is not the first to move on that has brought good money in. It's a bit cynical but academies are a good income source.

They are and tbf the academy is producing a good standard of player in recent years.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Euthanasia

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:50 pm

South Stand Balti wrote:
Douglas Higginbottom wrote:The lad is a natural. We can claim a little bit of credit for his development but I suspect he was going to be special anyway. Coming to City was probably important for his career so he could focus on his football discipline to go along with the amazing talent he already had. Good for him to get away from the life he was in danger of falling into.

Is he better than Diaz, Doug?

I think he is yes. Similar but I just feel Jadon has the edge in probably every department. Might only be a little bit better. Jadon will make it , Brahim probably will make it.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Saul Goodman » Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:33 pm

At some point the club (manager and board) are going to have to make a decision: decrease the splashing of cash and promote from within. A “kid” will never be better than an exisitng player that you buy for 40M. You have to decide to not buy, play the kid, and deal with growing pains as its made clear whether the kid will make it or not.

We are lucky Foden is local and a fan of City or he’d be gone by now. I feel sadly confident that Diaz will leave, and he should. Hes not being given a chance and we arent loaning him out for some stupid reason.
Saul Goodman
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Bernardo Silva

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:44 pm

Saul Goodman wrote:At some point the club (manager and board) are going to have to make a decision: decrease the splashing of cash and promote from within. A “kid” will never be better than an exisitng player that you buy for 40M. You have to decide to not buy, play the kid, and deal with growing pains as its made clear whether the kid will make it or not.

We are lucky Foden is local and a fan of City or he’d be gone by now. I feel sadly confident that Diaz will leave, and he should. Hes not being given a chance and we arent loaning him out for some stupid reason.

He turned down a loan move in the summer, reportedly wanted to stay and fight for his place.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby Beefymcfc » Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:46 pm

We all want our youth players to come through but can anybody really say that they should be taking positions away from the players who are there already?

Pep seems to be a manager to allow players through the system but not until they're right, of can displace the player ahead of them. Sancho could've been that player for us, in time, but him and his agent chose otherwise, so why should we really be bothered considering we got a decent fed for him?

He could be the one that got away, which was his choice, but then again, he could be the season wonder just like many of the Rag players who are now elsewhere.
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby Saul Goodman » Sun Oct 14, 2018 3:56 am

Beefymcfc wrote:We all want our youth players to come through but can anybody really say that they should be taking positions away from the players who are there already?

Nope. But thats my point. If City want to have a great academy then they cant be known as not giving kids a route to the first team. There will never be a kid thats better than what we’ve already got. Not anymore. So the club will have to decide what it wants to do: exclusively buy or promote
Saul Goodman

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:00 am

Saul Goodman wrote:
Beefymcfc wrote:We all want our youth players to come through but can anybody really say that they should be taking positions away from the players who are there already?

Nope. But thats my point.If City want to have a great academy then they cant be known as not giving kids a route to the first team. There will never be a kid thats better than what we’ve already got. Not anymore. So the club will have to decide what it wants to do: exclusively buy or promote

It could be argued that City are known to have a great academy and that's why Sancho used it as a finishing school. Let's be honest he ( his people) knew the score before he signed for City, he knew how difficult it was to break into the first team but he also knew he'd be getting some of the best coaching around at youth level and he'd also get exposure with the under19 CL.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby Mase » Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:02 am

Foreverinbluedreams wrote:
Saul Goodman wrote:

Nope. But thats my point.If City want to have a great academy then they cant be known as not giving kids a route to the first team. There will never be a kid thats better than what we’ve already got. Not anymore. So the club will have to decide what it wants to do: exclusively buy or promote

It could be argued that City are known to have a great academy and that's why Sancho used it as a finishing school. Let's be honest he ( his people) knew the score before he signed for City, he knew how difficult it was to break into the first team but he also knew he'd be getting some of the best coaching around at youth level and he'd also get exposure with the under19 CL.

Same with that scouse nob.
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Warnock's Ref Rants
My favourite player is: Danny Tiatto

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:10 am

Mase wrote:
Foreverinbluedreams wrote:
Saul Goodman wrote:

Same with that scouse nob.

Yep and then there's Van Persie and one of the Nevilles putting their kids in City's academy too, they are aware their kids will get the best coaching at City.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby ruralblue » Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:53 am

Saul Goodman wrote:

Nope. But thats my point. If City want to have a great academy then they cant be known as not giving kids a route to the first team. There will never be a kid thats better than what we’ve already got. Not anymore. So the club will have to decide what it wants to do: exclusively buy or promote

I don't fully agree as I think in the near future we will come across one world class kid who will seriously break through and save us a fortune. Out of all the kids coming into the academy I am sure there will be at least one really good find.
I haven't a fecking clue what I'm doing! Gillie come back man I want my sig back. As the Photobucket thingy gone?
ruralblue
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: MANCHESTER CITY
My favourite player is: KOMPANY / SILVA

Postby nottsblue » Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:59 am

A lad from our academy playing for his national team at such an early age is a massive boost for us. We probably have easily 100 kids of all ages on our books as it were. They will know the chances of making it with us are very remote but they will also know our facilities are the best in the UK, if not Europe. And as such, they will receive fantastic coaching and great education off the field as well, which for the parents is crucially as important.

If they are lucky enough to be good enough to be part of our first team squad, then great. But they know if they don’t quite cut the mustard with us they will still stay in the game and more likely at a decent level. From then it’s up to the them what they do, but their start in football will be as good as they could wish for.

Just this summer we raised £30+M from academy sales, not a figure to be sniffed at. We are in a position as a club where to get in our team/squad you need to be exceptional and we are probably past the times when we could afford to “bed in” a couple of young guns for a while to get them up to the level required. I dare say we will have more lads like Sancho who will do well once we sell them. But we will also have lads like Foden who bleed blue and who will make it with us and it will be all the sweeter for it. Some players will want to move for a variety of reasons and sometimes you can’t stop them. Sancho was one such player and they go with our best wishes for the future and a sizeable fee in the pot
nottsblue
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby Saul Goodman » Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:40 pm

ruralblue wrote:
Saul Goodman wrote:

I don't fully agree as I think in the near future we will come across one world class kid who will seriously break through and save us a fortune. Out of all the kids coming into the academy I am sure there will be at least one really good find.

I hope so. But you really think someone aged 16-19 will be good enough at that stage having only played for our EDS side to supplant what I assume is a full international who cost over 40-50M that occupies the same position? I just dont see it without the kid actually being given time to play a high level (aka a loan).
Saul Goodman

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:09 am

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football ... x-13429405

This has been touched on in this thread so this is probably best place to post this article. We are blowing our competitors out of the water in terms of creating revenue from academy sales.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby nottsblue » Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:37 pm

Foreverinbluedreams wrote:https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/revealed-how-much-big-six-13429405

This has been touched on in this thread so this is probably best place to post this article. We are blowing our competitors out of the water in terms of creating revenue from academy sales.

Mentioned it before but one of the main reasons for the investment in the academy is the generation of transfer fees.

And it would appear it is another thing we excel at and leave our rivals behind with
nottsblue
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby Beefymcfc » Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:27 pm

nottsblue wrote:
Foreverinbluedreams wrote:https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/revealed-how-much-big-six-13429405

Mentioned it before but one of the main reasons for the investment in the academy is the generation of transfer fees.

And it would appear it is another thing we excel at and leave our rivals behind with

With the odd gem making it through to the first team.

Just shows how our Academy is viewed by other clubs when we are getting this kind of response. And to think, the fees received have far outweighed our most expensive signing or, in other words, all our signings this season or a Leroy Sane and Ederson over the last 2. Great business if you ask me and just think how much some of the others are worth, now that we are really establishing the Academy.
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby iwasthere2012 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:31 pm

Beefymcfc wrote:
nottsblue wrote:

With the odd gem making it through to the first team.

Just shows how our Academy is viewed by other clubs when we are getting this kind of response. And to think, the fees received have far outweighed our most expensive signing or, in other words, all our signings this season or a Leroy Sane and Ederson over the last 2. Great business if you ask me and just think how much some of the others are worth, now that we are really establishing the Academy.

So we are better than the rest at it.
Time for a rule change, I’d say.
iwasthere2012
Denis Law's Backheel

My favourite player is: David Silva (was PabZab)

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum