Man City sign 14-year-old prospect Jadon Sancho from Watford

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Man City sign 14-year-old prospect Jadon Sancho from Wat

Postby Beefymcfc » Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:34 pm

iwasthere2012 wrote:
Beefymcfc wrote:
nottsblue wrote:
Foreverinbluedreams wrote:https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/revealed-how-much-big-six-13429405

This has been touched on in this thread so this is probably best place to post this article. We are blowing our competitors out of the water in terms of creating revenue from academy sales.

Mentioned it before but one of the main reasons for the investment in the academy is the generation of transfer fees.

And it would appear it is another thing we excel at and leave our rivals behind with

With the odd gem making it through to the first team.

Just shows how our Academy is viewed by other clubs when we are getting this kind of response. And to think, the fees received have far outweighed our most expensive signing or, in other words, all our signings this season or a Leroy Sane and Ederson over the last 2. Great business if you ask me and just think how much some of the others are worth, now that we are really establishing the Academy.

So we are better than the rest at it.
Time for a rule change, I’d say.

As well you know, that one has already been discussed.
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby iwasthere2012 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:45 pm

Beefymcfc wrote:
iwasthere2012 wrote:
Beefymcfc wrote:
nottsblue wrote:
Foreverinbluedreams wrote:https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/revealed-how-much-big-six-13429405

This has been touched on in this thread so this is probably best place to post this article. We are blowing our competitors out of the water in terms of creating revenue from academy sales.

Mentioned it before but one of the main reasons for the investment in the academy is the generation of transfer fees.

And it would appear it is another thing we excel at and leave our rivals behind with

With the odd gem making it through to the first team.

Just shows how our Academy is viewed by other clubs when we are getting this kind of response. And to think, the fees received have far outweighed our most expensive signing or, in other words, all our signings this season or a Leroy Sane and Ederson over the last 2. Great business if you ask me and just think how much some of the others are worth, now that we are really establishing the Academy.

So we are better than the rest at it.
Time for a rule change, I’d say.

As well you know, that one has already been discussed.

Well, you know it makes sense.
iwasthere2012
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva (was PabZab)

Postby Beefymcfc » Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:09 pm

As always.

Just for clarity, I never really heard of Sancho until he refused to travel to the States last season. There were the few comments from Doug who watches the youth teams but the reality for me is that I don't want to know them until they actually make it. This means that I get no indignation when they disappear and the thought of getting 8 million + for an Academy player warms the cockles of my heart.

I also understand that people get an emotional attachment to youth players/teams and they see it as the future for our club (Ted for example) but, again, we have to move with the times and there will be very few who can perform on a consistent basis and dislodge the players that are now showing as winners in the PL; really well in the CL.
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:29 pm

Beefymcfc wrote:As always.

Just for clarity, I never really heard of Sancho until he refused to travel to the States last season. There were the few comments from Doug who watches the youth teams but the reality for me is that I don't want to know them until they actually make it. This means that I get no indignation when they disappear and the thought of getting 8 million + for an Academy player warms the cockles of my heart.

I also understand that people get an emotional attachment to youth players/teams and they see it as the future for our club (Ted for example) but, again, we have to move with the times and there will be very few who can perform on a consistent basis and dislodge the players that are now showing as winners in the PL; really well in the CL.

Fully understand all that and there is no doubt an important part of the academy is making money. Ideally from players who are not quite future City players.

The challenge is there though to spot those who are the real deal and not let them go and maybe get them involved early enough. Not necessarly regular first team starters maybe but enough to keep them with City as they develop and blossom. It's seriously hard to do this especially as young players are getting more and more impatient and agents can turn their heads with lucrative deals.

maybe so far ( Sancho might be the exception) but there have been others who have walked that were connsidered by many to be future stars. Tyrese Campbell was one and Bobby Duncan another more recently who chose to lave rather than stay as they didnt see the path to the senior team. Duncan may have had the Lpool connection as well but I suspect he would have stayed had the path to the first team been a real prospect. Also we have had Lopes, Angelino, Maffeo,Roberts, Manu Garcia where we might have had high hopes at one time.

Foden does look nailed on to stay and become a first teamer of real quality but at the same time we have Diaz. At the moment it's starting to look like he will go as he perhaps should have been getting the chances Mahrez has been given. Will ne make it at the top level elsewhere or will he choose to fight here. Who knows but we have to trust Pep to make the right decision. He is bound to get it wrong sometimes!
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Mase » Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:02 am

Douglas Higginbottom wrote: Who knows but we have to trust Pep to make the right decision. He is bound to get it wrong sometimes!

He's got it wrong loads of times.
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Warnock's Ref Rants
My favourite player is: Danny Tiatto

Postby Saul Goodman » Sat Oct 27, 2018 4:04 pm

13 matches: AAGAAAAAGGGG. Hattrick today but one disallowed.

Players born in 2000 or after in top 5 leagues: Sancho 10 goal involvments. Next closest is Sessegnon with 2.

Sancho has scored more goals this season than Rashford and Martial combined
Saul Goodman
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Bernardo Silva

Previous

Return to The Maine Football forum