Your first ever City game

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Your first ever City game

Postby twosips » Sun Mar 22, 2015 12:13 pm

http://www.11v11.com/matches/manchester ... 994-21565/

I remember it as clear as day. I was eight years old, sat at home watching live and kicking and my dad got back in with the shopping and as a complete surprise three tickets for me, my brother and him. It was fucking great.

We sat in the North Stand, and I was watching Andy Dibble warm up in total awe. The whole thing properly intoxicated me. I was a goalkeeper as a kid and i felt like i was watching something from another planet. In hindsight the game was probably shite -it was Andy Dibble, a Kevin Horlock own goal and a bunch of chancers ffs, but its stuck in my mind to this day.

Got chatting about it this morning over breakfast so i thought id post this. Mild distraction from the doom and gloom surrounding this place anyway. Ha.
twosips
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: mcfc

Re: Your first ever City game

Postby Ted Hughes » Sun Mar 22, 2015 12:31 pm

I can't remember it at all.

First one was definitely the reserves, at Maine Rd, back in the day when the old scoreboard end was still up. Game was boring s fuck & I entertained myself exploring underneath the Kippax (probably playing with asbestos)

Not sure which was my first senior game. Some I can remember really clearly, some blur together, some I think I was at, I may have seen on tv.

I can remember Colin Bell clear as day though, & still miss him.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby Beefymcfc » Sun Mar 22, 2015 12:48 pm

No recollection whatsoever.
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby twosips » Sun Mar 22, 2015 12:49 pm

I'm approaching 30 this year and i've been feeling really old. You're both making me feel a damn sight better about that. Cheers gents.
twosips
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby blues2win » Sun Mar 22, 2015 12:51 pm

It was sad that Colin Bell underachieved somewhat at international level. Perhaps he was a little one paced but what a pace and the lungs of a horse. Allison called him Nijinsky which was apt. He also had a cracking shot. His career was sadly cut a little short by a knee injury, as I recall.

My first memory of a City game was actually away at the dippers in the 60s. We drew1-1. I was standing in the Anfield Road end. There were probably too many in the stand and there was some pushing and shoving. I was standing up against a crash barrier and was crushed against it knocking the wind out of me completely. For 30 seconds I thought I was going to die then I managed to squeeze away from the barrier and onto the steps. Hillsborough was many years later of course.
blues2win
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: david silva

Postby KinkyKinkladze » Sun Mar 22, 2015 12:52 pm

At home to reading in the coca cola cup, think it was 2nd round, maybe 3rd. Got the tickets through primary school. Sat in the north stand near big Helen. Finished 1-1. I remember rubbing Tony Coton's head at the end. Was probably 1992 or 93.
KinkyKinkladze
De Jong's Tackle

Postby twosips » Sun Mar 22, 2015 12:53 pm

To be fair the reason i remember my first game so clearly is that my dad was never really a huge football fan, more passively interested in it, and i'd wanted to go for ages so it wasn't even a passage of rites father/son thing. It was my dad buying me the tickets, but It was actually me being the one who educated him to it all... it was a big day basically for me.

It's a bit like the academy games I go to with him now as well. He had no idea who any of em were at the first Schalke game at the CFA. Does now though.
twosips
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby twosips » Sun Mar 22, 2015 12:55 pm

KinkyKinkladze wrote:At home to reading in the coca cola cup, think it was 2nd round, maybe 3rd. Got the tickets through primary school. Sat in the north stand near big Helen. Finished 1-1. I remember rubbing Tony Coton's head at the end. Was probably 1992 or 93.

Fucking loved Tony Coton. Broke my heart when he developed that rags connection.

Had that shirt signed from him. Wore it constantly for about two years.
twosips
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby ruralblue » Sun Mar 22, 2015 12:59 pm

10 - 1
I haven't a fecking clue what I'm doing! Gillie come back man I want my sig back. As the Photobucket thingy gone?
ruralblue
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Supporter of: MANCHESTER CITY
My favourite player is: KOMPANY / SILVA

Postby Original Dub » Sun Mar 22, 2015 1:04 pm

City v Bradford. Div 1. I think it just over 15 years ago. December, maybe 2000?

Memory is gone to shit, but swp scored two and i think we won 3-1. We were one nil down iirc.

That may have been his home debut but I could be way off there.

Anyway, it was Maine Rd and it was fucking freezing. Afterwards, my two pals and myself got completely lost and walked the curry mile and had pints in several different well dodgy boozers.

Now I have mancland sussed and I some of those dodgy boozers feel like home ;-)

Actually, I just found this article on the game. My memory has gone to shit!

http://www.theguardian.com/football/200 ... h.bradford
Last edited by Original Dub on Sun Mar 22, 2015 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Original Dub

Postby nottsblue » Sun Mar 22, 2015 1:15 pm

Middlesbrough at home in October 83. Week after my tenth birthday. Was the season after relegation with Billy McNeill in charge. We won 2-1 with goals from Parlane and Tolmie. Boro actually scored after 15 seconds! Welcome to Maine Road kid, this is the City life!

Like Twosips I was in awe of the day from the first moment of glimpsing the floodlights coming down Princess Parkway to congregating outside the main stand and watching the away coach outside the entrance with the players getting off. Walking round the back of the old Platt Lane stand to go through the turnstiles at the Kippax. Then, walking through the tunnel to see the stadium in the flesh for the first time, marvelling at the enormity of it. Stood at the front around halfway. From then I was hooked, the noise, the smells, the atmosphere all combining to make match day football what it is.

Rarely get to go games now due to a combination of work, family and location, but I've actually been to Barnsley for a couple night games this season as a pal has access to a box through his work and though the quality wasn't great I still had a buzz walking up to the ground beforehand. Once it's in your blood I don't think you tire of it
nottsblue
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby Peter Doherty (AGAIG) » Sun Mar 22, 2015 1:41 pm

November the 6th, 1971. City 3 Rags 3, Lee Bell and Summerbee scored. Sat on a safety barrier for the whole game (apart from when the rags scored their first and was knocked off by a rag, accidentally (crowd was not segregated)). Got a hotdog and a life-long passion for following the blues.
Cracking game:

Watch on youtube.com
Last edited by Peter Doherty (AGAIG) on Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Peter Doherty (AGAIG)
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Johan Cruyff

Postby branny » Sun Mar 22, 2015 2:01 pm

Good Friday 1977 v Leeds. Won 2-1. Kidd got both. I was 9 years old and my Dad and next door neighbour decided to take me. Joe Royle was on the cover of the programme. That's about all I remember.
Balotelli......that's a brilliant finish.
branny
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: God's own club
My favourite player is: Tueart

Postby Hazy2 » Sun Mar 22, 2015 2:30 pm

12\11/75 city 4 scum 0 stood in the open air bit between the North Stand and the Kippax. Lots of scum fans so fights every 2 mins and after every goal. My old man a rag,took me my uncle a blue brought me back to Hulme 10.30. The old man doing his nut, funny and a great 1st game and confirmation I was a blue. On another point Tevez how we miss hat boy what a goal, rips the net out.....
Hazy2
Denis Law's Backheel

My favourite player is: Silva

Postby Goaters 103 » Sun Mar 22, 2015 6:35 pm

December 1972 - Norwich A, a 1-1 draw.

Don't remember a thing. I was two years old and as we have family in Norwich, we were there over Xmas apparently. Mum and Dad had no babysitter so took a 2 year old me with them.
Goaters 103
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby South Stand Balti » Sun Mar 22, 2015 7:06 pm

Southampton at home 1981. It was 1-1 with keegan scoring a pen for them then Kevin Reeves equalising. I quickly followed this up with a 1-0 home defeat to Spurs 2 weeks later..Mark Falco. I seem to think I did see a game before this away from home at Wigan in a pre season friendly. Pie eaters ran on the pitch and surrounded Joe Corrigan.
South Stand Balti

Supporter of: Manchester City FC
My favourite player is: Yaya

Postby Dubciteh » Sun Mar 22, 2015 7:58 pm

September 97 versus Swindon, won 6.0 what a match to go to! Maine road was electric, the atmosphere, the flag and poster sellers the little shit souvenir shops, I loves it!

Got the tickets through Junior blues think you got two free for joining, great day, that season went downhill after that game!
derby day the scores were level,
then the goat was fed by neville,
silly boy should know for sure,
feed the goat and he will score!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Dubciteh
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Supporter of: CTID
My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby Hazy2 » Sun Mar 22, 2015 8:02 pm

Hazy2 wrote:12\11/75 city 4 scum 0 stood in the open air bit between the North Stand and the Kippax. Lots of scum fans so fights every 2 mins and after every goal. My old man a rag,took me my uncle a blue brought me back to Hulme 10.30. The old man doing his nut, funny and a great 1st game and confirmation I was a blue. On another point Tevez how we miss hat boy what a goal, rips the net out.....

PS my birthday.
Hazy2
Denis Law's Backheel

My favourite player is: Silva

Postby South Stand Balti » Sun Mar 22, 2015 8:05 pm

The thing I remember most about my first trip to Maine Road was walking up the steps then seeing the pitch and stadium for the first time. Took my breath away that first look.
South Stand Balti

Supporter of: Manchester City FC
My favourite player is: Yaya

Postby steelsnail » Sun Mar 22, 2015 8:06 pm

Early 70s my dad took me to palace away as it was closer to us . Just remember being in awe at seeing big joe in the flesh . Got me a metal city badge that I still have somewhere :)
steelsnail
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Robinho's Step Over

Supporter of: man city
My favourite player is: Zabs

Next

Return to The Maine Football forum