Silva

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Silva

Postby Original Dub » Sat Apr 18, 2015 5:33 pm

Ted Hughes wrote:How do you determine what a 'chance' is ?

It's ok for fun but imo Navas creates 3 o r 4 almost every game & if we had Solskjaer playing alongside Aguero rather then Dzeko, we would be about 10 points better off. That doesn't figure in any stats.

The real stat is that DiMaria has twice as many assists as Silva. Aguero & Navas top our list.

You watch the games, are we forever missing chances created by Silva or is it actually him who misses more created by everyone else ?

It's not just about assists.

It's about dictating the attack and creating the chances to attack. A lot of the time it's from a deep position because he is forced to drop back.

He has gotten lost since toure came back and decided not to try to occupy space or draw defenders onto him. Somthing he used to do to allow silva more space.

But before toure came back he was his usual brilliant self.

I've never seen a city player that has the ability to seem to make the game slow down as much as silva.

He has never depended on pace, power or poaching in the box. That's the reason he'll be able to continue being the best for a good few more years.

As long as he has power and pace beside him. He used to and we won leagues because of it.

We need to spend to ensure he has this to play with. We don't need to replace him.
We need to replace toure. And then we need more power and pace.
Original Dub

Postby Moonchesteri » Sat Apr 18, 2015 5:45 pm

I agree with O Dub. How many times it is Silva who picks up the run of Navas, Zabba, Milner etc. who then put in the cross we score from? They get the assist but Silva created the chance

the original question is good. But I think we can find a place for him.

If we decide to let him go, it will be for a big fee. And with a good replacement (Reus? Griezmann? Dunno).. I could live with it
Moonchesteri
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: MCFC

Postby Ted Hughes » Sat Apr 18, 2015 6:51 pm

I've never mentioned letting him go. He is not one of the players I want to get rid of. I appreciate what Dub is talking about, but when Yaya didn't play & Silva did, we barely ever beat anybody. It's simply not true that Silva's failings are somebody else's fault. It's down to his limitations.

He is what he is. Great player but not the ideal bloke to occupy a position in a balanced team.

Rodney Marsh coming to City is a similar idea imo. He gets disrespected by miserable old cunts but he was one of the best players I've ever seen in a City shirt. But the team was better without him.

I'm not saying that is the case with Silva; this team is certainly better with him in it. But if I was building a new team to solve the problems we have had, I would either build it around Silva or build it with him as a player not certain of starting.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby Original Dub » Sat Apr 18, 2015 8:33 pm

Ted Hughes wrote:I've never mentioned letting him go. He is not one of the players I want to get rid of. I appreciate what Dub is talking about, but when Yaya didn't play & Silva did, we barely ever beat anybody. It's simply not true that Silva's failings are somebody else's fault. It's down to his limitations.

He is what he is. Great player but not the ideal bloke to occupy a position in a balanced team.

Rodney Marsh coming to City is a similar idea imo. He gets disrespected by miserable old cunts but he was one of the best players I've ever seen in a City shirt. But the team was better without him.

I'm not saying that is the case with Silva; this team is certainly better with him in it. But if I was building a new team to solve the problems we have had, I would either build it around Silva or build it with him as a player not certain of starting.

Ok fair enough.

Build it around him then... That's my answer!
Original Dub

Postby Im_Spartacus » Sat Apr 18, 2015 8:47 pm

Original Dub wrote:
Ted Hughes wrote:I've never mentioned letting him go. He is not one of the players I want to get rid of. I appreciate what Dub is talking about, but when Yaya didn't play & Silva did, we barely ever beat anybody. It's simply not true that Silva's failings are somebody else's fault. It's down to his limitations.

Ok fair enough.

In which position......and bearing in mind he's 29, I don't see that as feasible
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Breasts

Postby Original Dub » Sat Apr 18, 2015 9:16 pm

Im_Spartacus wrote:
Original Dub wrote:

Ok fair enough.

In which position......and bearing in mind he's 29, I don't see that as feasible

I don't mean we dismantle our philosophy or every member of our team.

I reckon we build our new signings around him.
Original Dub

Postby MilnersJaw » Sat Apr 18, 2015 9:32 pm

Silva is 29 fuck me those years went fast...
Still here.
MilnersJaw
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Silver

Postby I Just Blue Myself » Sat Apr 18, 2015 10:27 pm

PeterParker wrote:Interesting that he was NOT a starter in the Spain team that won the cups in 2008 and 2010, but he was in 2012.

He started all but one game in 2008, the dead rubber v Greece.
I Just Blue Myself
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: go౦ԁ sHit✔ʳᶦᵍʰᵗ ᵗʰᵉʳ

Postby Im_Spartacus » Sun Apr 19, 2015 6:17 am

Original Dub wrote:
Im_Spartacus wrote:
Original Dub wrote:

Ok fair enough.

I don't disagree with the concept, but that approach is just storing up a new problem in 2/3 years time when his powers are in decline and we need to find another player of his quality.

We lucked out with Silva as neither Barcelona or Real were interested, yet we can almost certainly accept that as a player of silva's ilk is not going to come from our own shores, when a talent like that emerges in the next few years, we will be at the back (or at best somewhere in the middle) of a very illustrious queue.

I honestly can't see past cashing in as being the best option for the club when you look at his age and the fact that we would most likely make a good profit, and that nasri who is 2 years younger, whilst perhaps less creative is far more dangerous as a goal threat and fits better in any system you care to mention.
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby MilnersJaw » Sun Apr 19, 2015 7:24 am

Im_Spartacus wrote:
Original Dub wrote:
Im_Spartacus wrote:
Original Dub wrote:

Ok fair enough.

I don't disagree with the concept, but that approach is just storing up a new problem in 2/3 years time when his powers are in decline and we need to find another player of his quality.

We lucked out with Silva as neither Barcelona or Real were interested, yet we can almost certainly accept that as a player of silva's ilk is not going to come from our own shores, when a talent like that emerges in the next few years, we will be at the back (or at best somewhere in the middle) of a very illustrious queue.

I honestly can't see past cashing in as being the best option for the club when you look at his age and the fact that we would most likely make a good profit, and that nasri who is 2 years younger, whilst perhaps less creative is far more dangerous as a goal threat and fits better in any system you care to mention.

nasri has been at the club including this season 4 years now, he has had less than 10 games where he has been excellent, He has had plenty of chances, including game when silva wasn't playing
Still here.
MilnersJaw
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Silver

Postby Im_Spartacus » Sun Apr 19, 2015 8:33 am

Nasri has had spells where he has been excellent, particularly last season and early in this season.

I know the current consensus is that he should be on the list of those bombed out, but bear in mind he has very very rarely been played in the position he excelled at for Arsenal, where he was devastated.

The biggest thing that has pissed me off over the years since the takeover is this arrogance of buying players and making them do something else than what they were already recognised as being amongst the best in the world at doing. I don't mind trying to develop them to add to their game, but we fucking ruined some of these players by stubbornly refusing to play to their strengths. Silva is arguably the same, I think he played up front in a 3 at Valencia didn't he?

Another example being Milner, player of the year from deep midfield playmaking role when we bought him, stuck him on the wing where he last played at 18!

Let's decide how we want to setup, then go get the right player for that system rather than fuck about with square pegs in round holes
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby Original Dub » Sun Apr 19, 2015 9:52 am

Im_Spartacus wrote:
Original Dub wrote:
Im_Spartacus wrote:
Original Dub wrote:

Ok fair enough.

What makes you think Real and Barca weren't interested?

I'm pretty sure at least one was?!
Original Dub

Postby Ted Hughes » Sun Apr 19, 2015 9:54 am

Im_Spartacus wrote:Nasri has had spells where he has been excellent, particularly last season and early in this season.

I know the current consensus is that he should be on the list of those bombed out, but bear in mind he has very very rarely been played in the position he excelled at for Arsenal, where he was devastated.

The biggest thing that has pissed me off over the years since the takeover is this arrogance of buying players and making them do something else than what they were already recognised as being amongst the best in the world at doing. I don't mind trying to develop them to add to their game, but we fucking ruined some of these players by stubbornly refusing to play to their strengths. Silva is arguably the same, I think he played up front in a 3 at Valencia didn't he?

Another example being Milner, player of the year from deep midfield playmaking role when we bought him, stuck him on the wing where he last played at 18!

Let's decide how we want to setup, then go get the right player for that system rather than fuck about with square pegs in round holes

That last line is my conclusion I think.

It would certainly not involve selling Silva from my perspective but if I was signing players, I would sign the right blokes in the right positions to play the kind of football we aim to play, with pace & athleticism on top of skill, and blend them with whichever of our current players best suits it. If it works with Silva, fine, if it doesn't, also fine.

Same for all of our current players. Those who don't fit the style, don't play. Best man gets the shirt.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Im_Spartacus » Sun Apr 19, 2015 10:41 am

Original Dub wrote:
Im_Spartacus wrote:
Original Dub wrote:
Im_Spartacus wrote:
Original Dub wrote:
Ok fair enough.

What makes you think Real and Barca weren't interested?

I'm pretty sure at least one was?!

Perhaps, but I'd struggle to think why a Spanish speaking player would choose City over them on any level, whether it be climate, language, football, history, international prospects etc.
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby Original Dub » Sun Apr 19, 2015 10:56 am

Just read his wiki page and it says he turned down both.

I'd imagine money was the factor !
Original Dub

Postby Im_Spartacus » Sun Apr 19, 2015 10:57 am

Ted Hughes wrote:
Im_Spartacus wrote:Nasri has had spells where he has been excellent, particularly last season and early in this season.

That last line is my conclusion I think.

It would certainly not involve selling Silva from my perspective but if I was signing players, I would sign the right blokes in the right positions to play the kind of football we aim to play, with pace & athleticism on top of skill, and blend them with whichever of our current players best suits it. If it works with Silva, fine, if it doesn't, also fine.

Same for all of our current players. Those who don't fit the style, don't play. Best man gets the shirt.

In theory, but it takes balls, politically as a manager its a massive risk to leave a player of Silva or Toure's stature on the bench and I have sympathy for the predicament the manager is in. Lack of balls is the last thing I'd accuse of Mancini of, but he had his system, and no matter how out of sorts a player was, Silva and Toure always played regardless how it affected the team, same with Pellegrini. They are both good, experienced managers, and no matter how much we talk about it on here, I'm sure they know the problems and only an idiot would not try to solve that problem........I also don't think they are idiots, so I think both managers are under pressure to find a place for both Silva and Toure in a starting 11 simply because of their overall ability says they have to start, not necessarily their ability in this system.

My heart says don't sell silva, but my head tells me it might just give the manager the freedom he needs to create a unit that works effectively MOST of the time, without the pressure of having to pick someone who is outrageously talented, but just doesn't work in the manager's system. I think leaving him on the bench would be a terrible shame, and he deserves better than that.
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby Original Dub » Sun Apr 19, 2015 3:04 pm

Hopefully we get some positive news on him.

He was dictating all of the attacks once again today. And we looked devoid of all ideas once he went off.
Original Dub

Postby South Stand Balti » Sun Apr 19, 2015 3:35 pm

Original Dub wrote:Hopefully we get some positive news on him.

He was dictating all of the attacks once again today. And we looked devoid of all ideas once he went off.

Spot on.
South Stand Balti
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: Manchester City FC
My favourite player is: Yaya

Postby blues2win » Sun Apr 19, 2015 3:36 pm

Brennan tweets that word from the tunnel is cautiously optimistic about him.
blues2win
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: david silva

Postby Ted Hughes » Sun Apr 19, 2015 3:45 pm

Hope he isn't out long.

I thought we saw both sides of it today; the nice little runs & atacking positional play, keeping the team ticking over, & the lack of a killer pass & late arrival in defensive positions.

Navas again just kept legging it into dangerous positions putting balls into dangerous areas & for a change, a striker, or even Silva, was actually there for him to pass to. So he gets himself two more assists & it could easily have been 6.

I guess that's what I'm talking about.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum