***Official City v chelsea FA Youth Cup final thread***

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: ***Official City v chelsea FA Youth Cup final thread***

Postby City64 » Tue Apr 21, 2015 4:16 pm

It's all a learning curve , if they all play without fear in the 2nd leg who knows ? ;-)
Not really here

Fuck VAR
City64
Paul Power's Tash

Location: Urmston, Shevington , The Etihad , In a bar anywhere watching MCFC
Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby Sparklehorse » Tue Apr 21, 2015 4:40 pm

One player who has hardly had a mention who I thought distributed the ball from defence with very crisp and accurate passes and used his available space to drive forward was Cameron Humphreys, I though he was excellent and deserves more credit and after reading all the above posts you wouldn't have known he was on the pitch.
I don't think this tie is over by any means, but hats off to Chelsea they played very well and were physically commanding in the early part of the game but we grew and unfortunately could not take our chances.
"Its better to be thought of as being a fool and remain silent than to speak up and remove all doubt" - Abraham Lincoln
Sparklehorse
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: Man City
My favourite player is: All of them

Postby blues2win » Tue Apr 21, 2015 4:41 pm

Wilcox apparently withdrew Kelechi Iheanachu from Youth Cup squad because of concern about an injury relapse. Could be in squad for next Monday say CityWatch. Bench only I imagine but would be great to see him on even for 20 minutes.
blues2win
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: david silva

Postby Wonderwall » Tue Apr 21, 2015 4:58 pm

Douglas Higginbottom wrote:
Blue Since 76 wrote:
Wonderwall wrote:
twosips wrote:Definitely the biggest crowd most would have played in front of. I actually felt the crowd carried over the angsty atmosphere that lingers about during the first team games for the first half and that can't have been good for them. They looked well uncertain at times. Definitely relaxed in the second half when (perhaps coincidentally) the crowd relaxed. All part of the learning experience though...

I thought Wilcox set us up very defensive to begin with, poor Buckley was having to chase down 3 defenders and the GK playing keep ball triangles. Whilst the rest of the team kept their shape from the half way line. When you look at the difference with Chelsea, they closed everything down and defended from the front, their front 3 closed down as a unit, which is something we didn't do until midway through the 2nd half, This was definitely a bad tactical move on Wilcox's part. We invited the pressure on ourselves and the nerves were there to be seen with the poor distribution when a 8'10" Snoop Dog lookalike is bearing down on you!

Your second paragraph is what I was referring to when I mentioned desire last night, which was perhaps the wrong term. I also mentioned the Barca obsession as I wondered if it had as much to do with team tactics as the individuals. When we suddenly started running at them from about the 70 minute, I'd text my dad and said we'd been paying rope a dope before that as we were all over them and they couldn't cope.

Chelsea were bigger than us and in most cases technically as good which means we had to work much harder, just as the likes of Burnley did to our first team. I just don't think we did that in a positive way i.e. running at people and committing them until late on and Wilcox has to take the blame for that. Workrate has to be the starting point for any team at any level and it's only with that that quality can come to the fore. The Barca of old definitely had that, but we don't seem to want to work as hard without the ball.

I just don't think I agree with the idea that Wilcox set the team up defensively.If it looked like that it's simply because Chelsea grabbed hold of the game and pushed us onto the back foot and we couldn't find a way out. Maybe we didn't press them quite as hard and high as they pressed us but no way does that team have a defensive mentality, you only have to look at the players to see that.

Unfortunately that where the pressem and kick it long brigade come in as they think it's that simple.Just launch the ball long and all will be well. For a while we were struggling to hang on and all the players bar Buckley were getting back to help out and then of course there isn't anyone forward to find with a pass/clearance when we get the chance.I think we tried to close them quickly but Chelsea were too good for a while and were winning almost all the tackles and 2nd balls.Plenty of effort but it just wasn't happening.

On the few occasions we got forward we looked ok and the goal from Buckley via Barker was a gem.The 2nd half was more even even though I don't think we changed very much and as it wore on we started to take over which may well have been down to Chelsea tiring a bit.That's when we more than deserved a goal but it just didn't happen.

Where I was disappointed Doug, was when Collins the Chelsea GK had the ball, then the centre backs spread wide and the CDM (Musonda?) came forward (which happens in every game you watch these days) Buckley was the only person in a light blue shirt in the Chelsea half and the GK had the ball. This is what I mean by defensive. The difference between us and Chelsea in the same circumstance was remarkably different. If that's not being defensive then I dont know what is.

They knew we liked to play it out and therefore pushed on and pressurised the ball from the keeper, it was very noticeable. Also the first mistake made from Haug was down to Wilcox screaming at him to play it short when everyone seemed to be marked, he obeyed and chelsea won possession and had a shot on goal.
Wonderwall
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Gods own team

Postby Blue Since 76 » Tue Apr 21, 2015 5:25 pm

Douglas Higginbottom wrote:
Blue Since 76 wrote:
Wonderwall wrote:
twosips wrote:Definitely the biggest crowd most would have played in front of. I actually felt the crowd carried over the angsty atmosphere that lingers about during the first team games for the first half and that can't have been good for them. They looked well uncertain at times. Definitely relaxed in the second half when (perhaps coincidentally) the crowd relaxed. All part of the learning experience though...

I thought Wilcox set us up very defensive to begin with, poor Buckley was having to chase down 3 defenders and the GK playing keep ball triangles. Whilst the rest of the team kept their shape from the half way line. When you look at the difference with Chelsea, they closed everything down and defended from the front, their front 3 closed down as a unit, which is something we didn't do until midway through the 2nd half, This was definitely a bad tactical move on Wilcox's part. We invited the pressure on ourselves and the nerves were there to be seen with the poor distribution when a 8'10" Snoop Dog lookalike is bearing down on you!

Your second paragraph is what I was referring to when I mentioned desire last night, which was perhaps the wrong term. I also mentioned the Barca obsession as I wondered if it had as much to do with team tactics as the individuals. When we suddenly started running at them from about the 70 minute, I'd text my dad and said we'd been paying rope a dope before that as we were all over them and they couldn't cope.

Chelsea were bigger than us and in most cases technically as good which means we had to work much harder, just as the likes of Burnley did to our first team. I just don't think we did that in a positive way i.e. running at people and committing them until late on and Wilcox has to take the blame for that. Workrate has to be the starting point for any team at any level and it's only with that that quality can come to the fore. The Barca of old definitely had that, but we don't seem to want to work as hard without the ball.

I just don't think I agree with the idea that Wilcox set the team up defensively.If it looked like that it's simply because Chelsea grabbed hold of the game and pushed us onto the back foot and we couldn't find a way out. Maybe we didn't press them quite as hard and high as they pressed us but no way does that team have a defensive mentality, you only have to look at the players to see that.

Unfortunately that where the pressem and kick it long brigade come in as they think it's that simple.Just launch the ball long and all will be well. For a while we were struggling to hang on and all the players bar Buckley were getting back to help out and then of course there isn't anyone forward to find with a pass/clearance when we get the chance.I think we tried to close them quickly but Chelsea were too good for a while and were winning almost all the tackles and 2nd balls.Plenty of effort but it just wasn't happening.

On the few occasions we got forward we looked ok and the goal from Buckley via Barker was a gem.The 2nd half was more even even though I don't think we changed very much and as it wore on we started to take over which may well have been down to Chelsea tiring a bit.That's when we more than deserved a goal but it just didn't happen.

I'm not sure it's as much a defensive attitude as one of not taking risks. At that level and high up the pitch we should have players who always try to beat their man. If it doesn't come off, trying again - a forward only needs to get over right, a defender needs to get then all right.

That comes from management and if they are more interested in ball retention that what we do with it. At 1st team level, last season we used to really go at teams when they made a mistake, but this season we haven't really capitalised on that, the goal against West Ham being an exception. We need a SWP type who's first thought is to run at the opposition but is then capable of a better end product. There were several players last night who looked capable of that and did it for a spell in the 2nd half, so why not the rest of the game? I'm not taking Lennon types who just run, I mean developing the Sanchez or Hazard who really scares teams.

Credit to Chelsea for the way they played that limited us, but we need to be aggressive in winning the ball back and positive when we have it. We don't want teams from 12 upwards who are content just passing it sideways as we've already got a load of them blocking their progress. Like I said earlier, I haven't seen a lot of this team other than highlights, so maybe last night was a bad example. I saw a version of the under 18s against Rhyl preseason against a much bigger, albeit technically limited, side and was impressed with how they coped. Perhaps some loans to lower league sides next season will help their development against players like the ones they faced last night.
Blue Since 76
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby Hazy2 » Tue Apr 21, 2015 6:15 pm

None of us know if any will make it, what we see is a brand of football. Fair play, my worry, if football was about skill Ajax would have 20 champions league winners cups. The outcome always becomes the memory.
Hazy2
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Silva

Postby Mikhail Chigorin » Wed Apr 22, 2015 6:27 am

Hazy2 wrote:None of us know if any will make it, what we see is a brand of football. Fair play, my worry, if football was about skill Ajax would have 20 champions league winners cups. The outcome always becomes the memory.

What a poetic way of expressing it, as well as being very apt.

Nicely worded old chum.
Mikhail Chigorin
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

My favourite player is: Bert Trautmann

Postby Ted Hughes » Wed Apr 22, 2015 3:02 pm

We had the two players who lead the attack, & the pressing, both missing. They are both strong as fuck, fast as fuck good in the air, skillfull as fuck, score goals & full of energy.

Hence able to press in the opponent's half successfully against an athletic side. Angelino played 120 mins plus pens versus an even bigger Celtic team a few days ago, a game where Kean Bryan was subsituted after going down holding his hamstring.

There is no point worrying about tactics; we were pushed back by a great big, fit side containing some of the best prospects in the country. They are a bigger stronger & more experienced side, playing a weakened City side. They are the European Champions & we watched the best two youth teams probably in the world, one at full strength one handicapped by injuries etc & having a shite goalkeeper. And we fought our way back & should have been level.

If we hadn't let the third in, I would have given us a great chance, with a few having a rest in between. But they are a side built more to win games than bring through players, & now it is tough, especially with their aerial advantage & our shit keeper.

But if we score first, if's game on. They can't play better, we can.

If Ambrose & Boadu had played then we win both legs with some to spare imo. If Iheanacho is fit, we should consider it.

Anyhow, well played City & Chelsea & where the fuck was Greg Dyke ?
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby twosips » Mon Apr 27, 2015 5:58 pm

BIG NEWS!

Iheanacho is starting!

CITY U18S TO FACE CHELSEA: Haug, Maffeo, Adarabioyo (c), Humphreys, Angelino, Bryan, Wood, Nemane, Celina, Iheanacho, Barker. #mcfc
twosips
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: mcfc

Postby Ted Hughes » Mon Apr 27, 2015 6:11 pm

twosips wrote:BIG NEWS!

Iheanacho is starting!

CITY U18S TO FACE CHELSEA: Haug, Maffeo, Adarabioyo (c), Humphreys, Angelino, Bryan, Wood, Nemane, Celina, Iheanacho, Barker. #mcfc

Oo!

Marcus Wood in midfield too. Not as good a footballer as Garcia of course but tougher.

Let's hope Itchy is actually at least somewhere near, match fit. If he is, then Chelsea have a problem.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby iwasthere2012 » Mon Apr 27, 2015 6:23 pm

Ted Hughes wrote:

Iheanacho is starting!

Oo!

Marcus Wood in midfield too. Not as good a footballer as Garcia of course but tougher.

Let's hope Itchy is actually at least somewhere near, match fit. If he is, then Chelsea have a problem.

I really hope he does well. I hope he fits into the team.
iwasthere2012
Denis Law's Backheel

My favourite player is: David Silva (was PabZab)

Postby nottsblue » Mon Apr 27, 2015 6:24 pm

Things just got a bit more exciting
nottsblue

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby Nigels Tackle » Mon Apr 27, 2015 6:27 pm

could tonight be the night the rest of the football discovers our ian nacho? i fecking hope so
come on city!
ARMCHAIR FAN
Nigels Tackle
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Alan Oakes' 668 Games

Supporter of: man love
My favourite player is: riyad meh!rez

Postby Ted Hughes » Mon Apr 27, 2015 6:28 pm

iwasthere2012 wrote:
Ted Hughes wrote:

Iheanacho is starting!

Oo!

I really hope he does well. I hope he fits into the team.

I recon he would have torn them a new arsehole a year ago, never mind now. It's just the fact that he hasn't played a game of football since. If even anywhere near match fit, he is far too good for any kids' defence. It's a big ask, but well worth the gamble. If he isn't right, we still have Buckley to come on.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby DoomMerchant » Mon Apr 27, 2015 6:33 pm

Is this being streamed or on the radio somewhere?

Cheers
viVa el ciTy!

"All things considered, there's absolutely no escape from this hellish situation. I'm prepared to take the coward's way out if you are. It's reincarnation or nothing." -- Gideon Stargrave

DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: MCFC. OK.
My favourite player is: The Game

Postby Plain Speaking » Mon Apr 27, 2015 6:36 pm

DoomMerchant wrote:Is this being streamed or on the radio somewhere?

Cheers

Not sure if you can get itv player?
https://www.itv.com/itvplayer/itv4
Plain Speaking
Richard Dunne's Own Goals

My favourite player is: Silva

Postby clippo22 » Mon Apr 27, 2015 6:38 pm

Excited to see Nacho tonight, looked a real talent when I saw him in preseason. Like others have said if he's near to match fitness then he could be a real problem for Chelsea tonight!

Come on city!!!
clippo22
Darius Vassell's Composure

Supporter of: City!!!
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby Plain Speaking » Mon Apr 27, 2015 6:43 pm

Two lots of Chelsea mascots?
How does that work?
Plain Speaking
Richard Dunne's Own Goals