***Official City v chelsea FA Youth Cup final thread***

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: ***Official City v chelsea FA Youth Cup final thread***

Postby 30yeargloryhunter » Mon Apr 20, 2015 8:40 pm

Moonchesteri wrote:What the fuck is the commentator banging on about Haug playing it short just before the goal?
"Maybe he should've played it safe" etc. Haug played a perfect pass which Neuer wouldve been proud of to a teammate with lots of space. It was his poor pass that led to the goal, not that I'm blaming him either.

Completely agree. Dean Ashton isn't it? Great big lumbering lump of a player who obviously wants to see ball going long. Game turned on Bryan missed chance. We look good at this level but so did they- mirrored main teams... They weren't afraid put foot in and lot more physical... We played technical stuff but finished poorly. Having read lists about Angelino was little disappointed... Gave ball away a lot
30yeargloryhunter
Robinho's Step Over

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: silva

Postby Cocacolajojo1 » Mon Apr 20, 2015 8:40 pm

What the fuck is the commentator banging on about Haug playing it short just before the goal?
"Maybe he should've played it safe" etc. Haug played a perfect pass which Neuer wouldve been proud of to a teammate with lots of space. It was his poor pass that led to the goal, not that I'm blaming him either.

Agree, was pretty weird to pin that on Haug. But they'd been on his case before in the game as well, guess they had made their mind up and were bent on continuing on the same theme. It's as if they didn't remember talking about the value of playing in a certain way to develop as a player and all that. When push comes to shove, results count more than development.
"I used to be 6 foot 2 with curly hair, look what it's done to me"

"In my career so far it's the most important goal. You score the goal in the last minute to win the title. You're not sure if that's ever going to happen in your career again. I wish I could tell you how I did it but I can't. I thought for all the world that Mario was going to have a go himself but he just moved it on one more and it fell at my feet and I just thought: 'Hit the target, hit it as hard as you can and hit the target.' And it went in."
Cocacolajojo1
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Ireland 08-09

Postby Spurge » Mon Apr 20, 2015 8:40 pm

That 3rd goal knocked the stuffing out of us sadly, we'd looked like we might get back into up until then.

We need to ensure we don't give them too much respect in the 2nd leg from the first whistle and take that 20 min spell we had in the 2nd half tonight into the game in two weeks time.
Spurge
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

My favourite player is: Asa Hartford

Postby iwasthere2012 » Mon Apr 20, 2015 8:47 pm

I think we showed glimpses of what we can do. 2-2 wouldn't have flattered us. 3-1 is harsh on them, but Chelsea just looked more professional as a team. Our game was littered with mistakes, poor decisions and bad finishing in the end.
You do get the impression they are told to play this way and are allowed to make the mistakes. If it develops s better player, fair enough, but Chelsea's players looked very composed and not lacking skill. They worked hard, tired, we got into it, but weren't composed. Game management is something they need to learn too. I'm not so sure about this freedom to make mistakes business.
Those that see them every week could maybe tell us if this is a normal display.
Could be Chelsea are just a lot better.
Still, it's only half time.
iwasthere2012
Denis Law's Backheel

My favourite player is: David Silva (was PabZab)

Postby omega » Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:29 pm

I'll reserve judgement until after the 2nd leg.We looked nervous in the first half and struggled to close them down.Chelsea were stronger,quicker and generally more clinical,their left-wing back was particularly impressive.
Despite their 3rd goal we finished the game reasonably well.
omega
Carlo Nash's Debut

My favourite player is: Nasri

Postby blues2win » Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:30 pm

They really tried to load up on the flanks when we had the ball. Clearly saw the danger of Barker/ Angelino and Maffeo/ Nemane. By and large it worked although we posed more of a threat down the right. Angelino didn't have his best game and Barker only got into the game in fits and starts. Impressed with Maffeo. Looks nearer the first team than Angelino. Nemane really had his moments; a lot of skill.
blues2win
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: david silva

Postby twosips » Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:51 pm

Christ that was fucking frustrating. I spent the whole game sat surrounding by fucking utter cunts who spent the whole first half groaning, and im not kidding there was this one guy sat next me to who shouted "PRESS HIM, PRESS HIM, PRESS HIM" incessantly for the the whole game. Like ten times per minute until his throat was hoarse. Didn't even make sense. He was louder than Wilcox! Anyone sat in the West stand must have heard him? He was right next to me and he was utterly ridiculous - joined by his stuck in the 80s mate who kept shouting "GET STUCK IN. FUCKING HAVE HIM. KICK HIM FFS. DO SOMETHING - WHATS WRONG WITH YOU. PASS IT FUCKING FORWARD! NOT BACKWARDS!" - That last one in particular did my nut in. Then when they tried a speculative longer pass as demanded, he groaned like mad when it wasn't perfect. Clueless, negative shout-at-ten-year-old-kids-in-the-sunday-league type.

Both of them get up and walked off when the third went in. Utter cunts. Do one and never come back.

The players looked anxious as fuck in that first half and none of them were anywhere near their best. Can't help think the collective groans from the crowds didn't help, but in general they were a little overawed by a very strong and very confident Chelsea side. Their first goal was a belter. Not much you can do about that. I still didn't think we were embarrassed though at any point in the first half (which Chelsea defo edged) and in the second half I thought we battled really well and a draw was the very least we deserved. My personal man of the match was Nemane - thought he was terrific. Chased everything, showed great skill and was a thorn in their side throughout for someone so small. Best i've seen him by a long way. Did a great SWP impression. Tosin A I thought was excellent too. He's so fucking measured - kid's got everything to go the top. He's seventeen. Christ.

We were hugely hampered by Bryan and Celina having massively indifferent games. Bryan was sloppy and Celina, apart from one thirty minute spell where he controlled the game in the second half, kept doing the fancy bit right but then fucking up the simple bit. They're both so much better than that. Garcia did okay, but was often out-muscled. Some lovely little moments, but I expected he'd find it hard against Chelsea's strength and pace. Definitely didn't embarrass himself though and its easy to forget how young he is - he'll become one of the main men next year for this age group.

I was a bit disappointed in the left axis that's usually so reliable. Barker has to learn how to be the star man, which I'm sure he will. I don't think he played with anywhere near as much intelligence as he usually does. He tried far too much and kept running blindly into people…yet as ever he still did some very good things. That assist was pure Hazard. Fantastic. He simply got carried away by the occasion and the crowd. I've noticed recently, which I like, he's starting to develop the tendency to drift inside more, a lot more than he was doing a few months ago - i think all of the best players start to learn that. Hazard, Messi did, Ronaldo did and even Bale did for Spurs. He's miles off them, obviously, but in this team he's starting to develop notable signs of being the main man, even if it didn't always quite come off for him. If we fuck it up with him we're fucking idiots. He's got too much latent talent.

Buckley worked hard and had a decent game I thought. Maffeo wasn't quite his commanding best but still solid, though got caught up the pitch a couple of times.

Ah well…i was proud of the lads. They fucking tried, and during the moments where they got their composure they had Chelsea on the rails. Chelsea are set up to win at this level, they're a very good team and with this line up i really felt this would probably be the outcome - they're simply bigger and stronger, and very good footballers too, but I still believe that we're better footballers, but not quite as physical, yet if we had had Ambrose and Boadu tonight we would have won we would have pace and strength in the middle of the pitch and we would have won. I'm certain.

Onwards and upwards City.

I'd wager more of our lot make it as top class pros than their lot. Feel confident about that.

PS - shout out to the atmosphere in general which was fucking ten times better than the Etihad (after they'd got over the initial moany usual Etihad groaning stuff) and the standing section was fantastic. Did a passable mini Dortmund impression singing the same song for about ten minutes nonstop. Loved it.
Last edited by twosips on Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
twosips
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: mcfc

Postby frankswift » Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:58 pm

Anyone know how to get tickets for the second leg? The club didn't seem to know this afternoon, and the bloke at Chelsea said that they can't sell to City supporters.
frankswift
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Richard Edghill Whipping Boy

Supporter of: Take a wild guess
My favourite player is: Mike Doyle

Postby Ted Hughes » Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:08 pm

Those are probably the two best teams at that age group, in the world. Chelsea are a better team we have better players. Some of our best players were a bit nervous I thought.

Also though, Chelsea were clearly told to look after Barker. With Boadu & Ambriose playing, they simply can't do that.

Buckley & Garcia were struggling but I was so impressed the way Buckley stuck at it. Well done to the kid.

2-1 & we were well in it. Chelsea had the best game they have ever had & we were at 50%. 3-1 probably all over.

Ambrose & Boadu play; we win both legs, even on an off day, imo.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby twosips » Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:11 pm

Ted Hughes wrote:Those are probably the two best teams at that age group, in the world. Chelsea are a better team we have better players. Some of our best players were a bit nervous I thought.

Also though, Chelsea were clearly told to look after Barker. With Boadu & Ambriose playing, they simply can't do that.

Buckley & Garcia were struggling but I was so impressed the way Buckley stuck at it. Well done to the kid.

2-1 & we were well in it. Chelsea had the best game they have ever had & we were at 50%. 3-1 probably all over.

Ambrose & Boadu play; we win both legs, even on an off day, imo.

100% agree. Really impressed by Buckley's attitude tonight. Both him and Garcia fucking tried against absolutely giants and never gave in.
twosips
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: mcfc

Postby Blue Since 76 » Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:24 pm

Some nice play and a good 15 minute spell before their 3rd, but generally a fair result. They were a lot bigger but our lack of aggression/desire was a concern. A lot of them looked ready made for the first team and not in a good way. I hope we're not pushing the old Barca way without consideration that there are other ways to play
Blue Since 76
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby Wonderwall » Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:26 pm

twosips wrote:Christ that was fucking frustrating. I spent the whole game sat surrounding by fucking utter cunts who spent the whole first half groaning, and im not kidding there was this one guy sat next me to who shouted "PRESS HIM, PRESS HIM, PRESS HIM" incessantly for the the whole game. Like ten times per minute until his throat was hoarse. Didn't even make sense. He was louder than Wilcox! Anyone sat in the West stand must have heard him? He was right next to me and he was utterly ridiculous - joined by his stuck in the 80s mate who kept shouting "GET STUCK IN. FUCKING HAVE HIM. KICK HIM FFS. DO SOMETHING - WHATS WRONG WITH YOU. PASS IT FUCKING FORWARD! NOT BACKWARDS!" - That last one in particular did my nut in. Then when they tried a speculative longer pass as demanded, he groaned like mad when it wasn't perfect. Clueless, negative shout-at-ten-year-old-kids-in-the-sunday-league type.

Both of them get up and walked off when the third went in. Utter cunts. Do one and never come back.

The players looked anxious as fuck in that first half and none of them were anywhere near their best. Can't help think the collective groans from the crowds didn't help, but in general they were a little overawed by a very strong and very confident Chelsea side. Their first goal was a belter. Not much you can do about that. I still didn't think we were embarrassed though at any point in the first half (which Chelsea defo edged) and in the second half I thought we battled really well and a draw was the very least we deserved. My personal man of the match was Nemane - thought he was terrific. Chased everything, showed great skill and was a thorn in their side throughout for someone so small. Best i've seen him by a long way. Did a great SWP impression. Tosin A I thought was excellent too. He's so fucking measured - kid's got everything to go the top. He's seventeen. Christ.

We were hugely hampered by Bryan and Celina having massively indifferent games. Bryan was sloppy and Celina, apart from one thirty minute spell where he controlled the game in the second half, kept doing the fancy bit right but then fucking up the simple bit. They're both so much better than that. Garcia did okay, but was often out-muscled. Some lovely little moments, but I expected he'd find it hard against Chelsea's strength and pace. Definitely didn't embarrass himself though and its easy to forget how young he is - he'll become one of the main men next year for this age group.

I was a bit disappointed in the left axis that's usually so reliable. Barker has to learn how to be the star man, which I'm sure he will. I don't think he played with anywhere near as much intelligence as he usually does. He tried far too much and kept running blindly into people…yet as ever he still did some very good things. That assist was pure Hazard. Fantastic. He simply got carried away by the occasion and the crowd. I've noticed recently, which I like, he's starting to develop the tendency to drift inside more, a lot more than he was doing a few months ago - i think all of the best players start to learn that. Hazard, Messi did, Ronaldo did and even Bale did for Spurs. He's miles off them, obviously, but in this team he's starting to develop notable signs of being the main man, even if it didn't always quite come off for him. If we fuck it up with him we're fucking idiots. He's got too much latent talent.

Buckley worked hard and had a decent game I thought. Maffeo wasn't quite his commanding best but still solid, though got caught up the pitch a couple of times.

Ah well…i was proud of the lads. They fucking tried, and during the moments where they got their composure they had Chelsea on the rails. Chelsea are set up to win at this level, they're a very good team and with this line up i really felt this would probably be the outcome - they're simply bigger and stronger, and very good footballers too, but I still believe that we're better footballers, but not quite as physical, yet if we had had Ambrose and Boadu tonight we would have won we would have pace and strength in the middle of the pitch and we would have won. I'm certain.

Onwards and upwards City.

I'd wager more of our lot make it as top class pros than their lot. Feel confident about that.

PS - shout out to the atmosphere in general which was fucking ten times better than the Etihad (after they'd got over the initial moany usual Etihad groaning stuff) and the standing section was fantastic. Did a passable mini Dortmund impression singing the same song for about ten minutes nonstop. Loved it.

I feel your pain with those two shouting. They were just behind me i was in row G seat 303.

Bigger arse was the ref. Some crazy stuff he let go. He obviously does not know the understanding of the word reckless and endangering.
Wonderwall

Supporter of: Gods own team

Postby Ted Hughes » Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:31 pm

Also agree about the atmos. Great effort. I was in the old cunt's end but even there it was a nice vibe.
The band was hilarious. Comedy tuba was fantastic. If the various groups involved can replicate what they did tonight on a larger scale in the Concrete Tomb, we could have proper City back again & attending could become fun.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Ted Hughes » Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:33 pm

Blue Since 76 wrote:Some nice play and a good 15 minute spell before their 3rd, but generally a fair result. They were a lot bigger but our lack of aggression/desire was a concern. A lot of them looked ready made for the first team and not in a good way. I hope we're not pushing the old Barca way without consideration that there are other ways to play

No need for this kind of bollocks. Save it for thr first team. Utter shite.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:12 pm

OK back from the game and watched some of the match recorded. The better team won I think it's fair to say but that last goal for them was a bit unfair considering how much we had them on the ropes at the time.Their legs had gone and we made 3 or 4 great chances and fluffed them all.

No doubt they were miles the better side in the first half. Maybe some of it to do with nerves on our part but more because they pressed us hard and they were simply physically bigger and stronger.What at times seemed like fouls were just them using their strength and aggression better than us.At half time I was worried it could be an easy win for Chelsea as I thought they were way better than us.

Really none of our players played their best but Chelsea take a lot of the credit for that.Barker showed his quality for our goal but just couldn't get into the game as with Angelino in an attacking role.Chelsea made sure of it but our passing just wasn't good enough as we kept giving the ball away.Or was it Chelsea's interceptions and reading of the game was so good.

I think we were better in the 2nd half without taking over until about half way as we seemed to press better, Maffeo especially got forward more,the Chelsea legs were going and we were all over them. How we didn't score in that spell is a mystery but we didn't and then Celina gave the ball away and it's 3.1. Whenever Bryan got caught beyond the ball we were in serious trouble and their 2 goals came from when this happened.

I thought our 2 center backs did play well in some ways but not in their distribution.Well done to Chelsea again for making it so difficult but when the press is on it's really dangerous to play short balls as defenders are attacking the player its going to.The ball over the top is needed more I think and especially so as our front 3 are seriously pacey.We have too use that threat more so that Chelsea cannot press too high as easily.

Would Boadu and Ambrose have made such a difference that we would have won.I don't really think so as it was Chelsea overpowering our midfield and wider players that was a big problem. Ambrose might well have been better than Buckley but the lad played well and scored. Boadu is a physically bigger player than Garcia who played instead and would no doubt have fared better but I am not sure we would have won. We would probably have equalised though in that good spell and then who knows.

I had Nemane as my MotM as well for his all round effort and he was a good threat with his pace and trickery and I was gutted when he wacked that one wide.

Good to meet John68 again tonight
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Beefymcfc » Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:13 pm

Ted Hughes wrote:
Blue Since 76 wrote:Some nice play and a good 15 minute spell before their 3rd, but generally a fair result. They were a lot bigger but our lack of aggression/desire was a concern. A lot of them looked ready made for the first team and not in a good way. I hope we're not pushing the old Barca way without consideration that there are other ways to play

I thought it was a reasoned comment, as per the rest of the thread. We look like we've got the players, just not the confidence.
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby Ted Hughes » Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:29 pm

Beefymcfc wrote:
Ted Hughes wrote:

I thought it was a reasoned comment, as per the rest of the thread. We look like we've got the players, just not the confidence.

Suggesting a lack of desire amongst these lads is a fucking insult without any justification whatsoever.

But I can't be arsed. Think what you want. I'm not bothering even entertaining anymore involvement in discussing it.

I criticised Pellegrini for not using some on the bench, & would have taken issue with Wilcox saying they are years away, but when I read stuff like that, y'know what ? They are 100% fucking spot on.

Those kids don't need exposing to that kind of bollocks.

I no longer want to see them in our first team until they are adults.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Cocacolajojo1 » Tue Apr 21, 2015 6:39 am

They were a lot bigger but our lack of aggression/desire was a concern. A lot of them looked ready made for the first team and not in a good way.

I thought the complete opposite. They were sloppy and nervous, struggled to make use of the full pitch at times, but there was deffo no lack of effort. I was really impressed by the individual quality, the desire to press and the ball control of each player and they got let down by their own positioning (which can deffo be expected at this level) and sloppy passing, and the fact that Chelsea were a bit better as a team.

It's a delicate balancing act between winning and developing. Too much emphasis on the latter will make people cut corners to achieve the former, a short term progress. Chelsea has won the fa youth cup/played in the youth cup final four times in the last 8 or 6 years I recall the commentators saying last night. How many Chelsea youth players have made any permanent impact in the first team squad over that time? De Bruyne and Azpilucueta were purchases, pretty recent ones as well. The centre back that we faced comes to mind, but are there any more?
"I used to be 6 foot 2 with curly hair, look what it's done to me"

"In my career so far it's the most important goal. You score the goal in the last minute to win the title. You're not sure if that's ever going to happen in your career again. I wish I could tell you how I did it but I can't. I thought for all the world that Mario was going to have a go himself but he just moved it on one more and it fell at my feet and I just thought: 'Hit the target, hit it as hard as you can and hit the target.' And it went in."
Cocacolajojo1
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

My favourite player is: Ireland 08-09

Postby Beefymcfc » Tue Apr 21, 2015 6:55 am

Ted Hughes wrote:
Beefymcfc wrote:
Ted Hughes wrote:

Suggesting a lack of desire amongst these lads is a fucking insult without any justification whatsoever.

But I can't be arsed. Think what you want. I'm not bothering even entertaining anymore involvement in discussing it.

I criticised Pellegrini for not using some on the bench, & would have taken issue with Wilcox saying they are years away, but when I read stuff like that, y'know what ? They are 100% fucking spot on.

Those kids don't need exposing to that kind of bollocks.

I no longer want to see them in our first team until they are adults.

Like I said, it seemed a reasoned comment, although my view was more of not quite having the confidence to really show themselves. It's early though and that will come.
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby Hazy2 » Tue Apr 21, 2015 7:46 am

played great football in the 2nd half against a very well drilled team, The DNA of both clubs was on show power v skill.
Hazy2
Denis Law's Backheel

My favourite player is: Silva

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum