Defence or Attack - which is most important

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Defence or Attack - which is most important

Postby bigblue » Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:11 pm

Saw the top of the page and thought Ted Hughes was posting again! But no, just phips posting on threads from 2015...
bigblue
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: Manchester's Only
My favourite player is: Yaya

Postby phips » Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:38 pm

hey BB, you know right before you click to go into a thread from the "Maine Football forum" there is a little bit of text right below the thread title that tells you when the thread was started, right? it's right below the title. so if you've read the title then you've seen when it was started. not that hard. quit acting like posting a relevant bit of info in a thread devoted to the topic in question is some burden on you.

i also refer you now to the #2 rule of the forum: "2) Check to see if a topic has already been covered in a thread before starting a new one."
I'm not really a City fan. I'm just here for attention.

Barclays Premier League 2011-2012 CHAMP1-6NS
Barclays Premier League 2013-2014 CHAMP156NS
Barclays Premier League 2017-2018 CHAMP100NS
Barclays Premier League 2018-2019 CHAMP14ONS
Barclays Premier League 2020-2021 CHAM21ONS
Barclays Premier League 2021-2022 CHAM93ONS
Barclays Premier League 2022-2023 CHAM3XIONS
2022-2023 Domestic & European TR3BLE WINNERS
phips
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Supporter of: Man City, Dortmund
My favourite player is: David Silva, Marco Reus

Postby Justified logic » Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:42 pm

phips wrote:hey BB, you know right before you click to go into a thread from the "Maine Football forum" there is a little bit of text right below the thread title that tells you when the thread was started, right? it's right below the title. so if you've read the title then you've seen when it was started. not that hard. quit acting like posting a relevant bit of info in a thread devoted to the topic in question is some burden on you.

i also refer you now to the #2 rule of the forum: "2) Check to see if a topic has already been covered in a thread before starting a new one."

Thanks phips. I've learnt something today.
Justified logic
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby iwasthere2012 » Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:49 pm

phips wrote:hey BB, you know right before you click to go into a thread from the "Maine Football forum" there is a little bit of text right below the thread title that tells you when the thread was started, right? it's right below the title. so if you've read the title then you've seen when it was started. not that hard. quit acting like posting a relevant bit of info in a thread devoted to the topic in question is some burden on you.

Rules are made to be broken........check out the off topic section.
iwasthere2012
Denis Law's Backheel

My favourite player is: David Silva (was PabZab)

Postby ruralblue » Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:35 pm

You would be much more suited to Blue moon where the mods are stricter. Stop quoting the rules like a tit when you get off on this sort of thing.
I haven't a fecking clue what I'm doing! Gillie come back man I want my sig back. As the Photobucket thingy gone?
ruralblue
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Supporter of: MANCHESTER CITY
My favourite player is: KOMPANY / SILVA

Postby Mikhail Chigorin » Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:29 pm

In response to this revived thread, for my money, attack is far far more important than defence.

Attack is flair and verve, defence is just statistics, but don't ask me to either clarify or defend that claim, because I can't.
Mikhail Chigorin
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

My favourite player is: Bert Trautmann

Postby bigblue » Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:38 pm

Mikhail Chigorin wrote:In response to this revived thread, for my money, attack is far far more important than defence.

Attack is flair and verve, defence is just statistics, but don't ask me to either clarify or defend that claim, because I can't.

Pep's philosophy is that a good attack is the best defense and proper defense leads to better attacks. Kinda mucks up the whole distinction.

As someone once said, "Education allows you to see all the shades of gray between black and white"
bigblue
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: Manchester's Only
My favourite player is: Yaya

Postby CTID Hants » Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:00 pm

iwasthere2012 wrote:

FFS IWT, don't invite the cockwomble in to OT!!
Born A Blue

CTID Hants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Postby CTID Hants » Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:06 pm

Mikhail Chigorin wrote:In response to this revived thread, for my money, attack is far far more important than defence.

Agreed MC and I probably wrote something similar back in 2015 in this dredged up thread. I've always been a subscriber to KK's philosophy
Born A Blue

CTID Hants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Postby nottsblue » Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:14 pm

Also it depends on how much you value entertaining football. Mourinho values winning over everything else for example and his sides have usually not been the most attractive to watch. I for one would be fine with us finishing second or third this year having scored the most goals.
nottsblue
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby Mikhail Chigorin » Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:42 pm

CTID Hants wrote:

Agreed MC and I probably wrote something similar back in 2015 in this dredged up thread. I've always been a subscriber to KK's philosophy

I suppose, as a football fan CTID, it all boils down to whether you'd rather watch a great attacking side (even though the defence might be a bit suspect), or a great defensive side (where the attack tends to have to work very hard to score).

If you can have both (although not to the exclusion, in any way, of the attack), then that's fine but the question was posed as 'which is the more important ??'.
Mikhail Chigorin
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

My favourite player is: Bert Trautmann

Postby iwasthere2012 » Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:13 pm

CTID Hants wrote:
iwasthere2012 wrote:

FFS IWT, don't invite the cockwomble in to OT!!

My bad.
iwasthere2012
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby iwasthere2012 » Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:16 pm

Mikhail Chigorin wrote:
CTID Hants wrote:

I suppose, as a football fan CTID, it all boils down to whether you'd rather watch a great attacking side (even though the defence might be a bit suspect), or a great defensive side (where the attack tends to have to work very hard to score).

If you can have both (although not to the exclusion, in any way, of the attack), then that's fine but the question was posed as 'which is the more important ??'.

A strong midfield that can help both.

There case closed.
iwasthere2012
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby Hazy2 » Sat Aug 26, 2017 5:54 am

Seeing Everton, exploiting the space our wing back/full backs vacate again, same as last season. Unless we get top draw central defenders who can defend that. Winning the CL or even the Premier League will be difficult. As KDB has said we take our chances the game is done. Everton 1 clear chance a goal. Top sides,The likes of Napoli will hurt us, unless we sort it out. Get VVD you have the best available to deal with teams counter attacking.
Hazy2
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Silva

Postby Dimples » Sat Aug 26, 2017 7:06 am

you will know the answer to this in May.
We attack, the Rags defend.
winning pots is important.
being entertained is important.

if we win the PL then we score on both important issues above and attack defeats defence. The dream scenario.

if the Rags win the Pl then you have the answer to the thread title from a personal perspective. defence beats attack at the expense of entertainment. if you are happy with that then attack is more important. I for one will not be happy with that.
Dimples
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: Manchester city
My favourite player is: Sterling

Postby johnny crossan » Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:06 am

Im_Spartacus wrote:Really this follows on from the Chelsea thread, as the issue was raised about how much of an impact a good defence has on a title challenge. So being a boring cunt, I decided to look at it from a scientific point of view at the start of this thread to potentially add some data into the mix before we all head off on a big argument about whether attack or defence is the biggest predictor of a title win.

I took the premier league champions total points, goals scored, goals against and goal difference from each of the last 10 years, including the projected finish for chelsea this year.

I then ran regression analysis against to compare total number of points to GF, GA and GD to see which ones had a verifiable correlation with the number of points at the end of the season, and the results were far more clear cut than I expected.

Goals for has a 37.7% correlation with the number of points
Goals against has a 65% correlation with the number of points
Goal difference had no correlation (0.8%) with the number of points

In summary, over a 10 year period, defence has been almost twice as important as attack in terms of predicting which teams win the title.
r the defensive pivot.
So with this in mind, it makes both Mancini's and Mourinho's focus on not conceding somewhat more logical, given that I'm fairly sure I'm not the first one to do this and find that a solid defence has a greater bearing on the league title than a prolific attack.

So how would people prefer us to play in light of these trends? I certainly don't advocate the Mourinho style, but does this open up tactical questions about losing Yaya and his goals in favour of a less porous midfield?

It's an intriguing question, if Delph departs as expected (if that is even relevant) we have only Fern & Yaya for the defensive midfield/pivot position. If Fern gets crocked those stats say we could be in trouble. Having said that just watched Brown on TV telling us he played defensive midfield on Monday night! On reflection Danilo could probably do a decent job there too.
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Merlin

Previous

Return to The Maine Football forum