Pot 2

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Pot 2

Postby blues2win » Sun May 10, 2015 6:51 pm

Seeing a report that failure of Schalke and Borussia for CL to qualify keeps us in Pot 2. Is that right?
blues2win
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: david silva

Re: Pot 2

Postby Im_Spartacus » Sun May 10, 2015 7:14 pm

blues2win wrote:Seeing a report that failure of Schalke and Borussia for CL to qualify keeps us in Pot 2. Is that right?

Yes.

Current situation leaves us in 15th place of the qualified teams. If Barcelona, Bayern or Juventus win the Champs League, we drop to 16th as the champions of the 8th ranked league will go into pot 1 and we will drop to 16th seed but still in pot 2

Happy days
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Breasts

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Sun May 10, 2015 7:18 pm

It depends on a couple of things as far as I can make out. If Napoli qualify by winning the Europa I believe they'll get enough coefficient points to leapfrog us.

Also if the winners of the CL win their domestic league it means the eighth strongest European league gets an automatic pot 1. I believe the eighth strongest is Ukraine although I've seen reports sayings it's Holland, either way we are currently ahead of PSV and Kiev/Shaktar in the coefficient, so this would mean that we get pushed back down to 17th and pot 3 I believe.

Essentially what we want is Napoli to not qualify and one of the Spanish clubs to win the CL and the other to win La Liga.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Euthanasia

Postby Im_Spartacus » Sun May 10, 2015 7:25 pm

Foreverinbluedreams wrote:It depends on a couple of things as far as I can make out. If Napoli qualify by winning the Europa I believe they'll get enough coefficient points to leapfrog us.

Also if the winners of the CL win their domestic league it means the eighth strongest European league gets an automatic pot 1. I believe the eighth strongest is Ukraine although I've seen reports sayings it's Holland, either way we are currently ahead of PSV and Kiev/Shaktar in the coefficient, so this would mean that we get pushed back down to 17th and pot 3 I believe.

Essentially what we want is Napoli to not qualify and one of the Spanish clubs to win the CL and the other to win La Liga.

Good point

Napoli can only gain a possible further 4 points by winning their 2 remaining games. They don't get any additional points for winning the competition so they must win both remaining games to go above us.

In that scenario, we actually need the only team in the last 4 of champs league who won't win their league (Real Madrid) to win the champions league to prevent PSV or Kiev going into pot 1.
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Sun May 10, 2015 7:29 pm

There's always the possibility too of the rags or Valencia not getting through their qualifiers which would mean we'd move up a further place in the coefficients.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby nottsblue » Sun May 10, 2015 7:53 pm

Sounds like 'Hala Madrid' then
nottsblue
Colin Bell's Football Brain

My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Sun May 10, 2015 7:56 pm

Anyone know why press reports are saying that Holland is the 8th ranked league in Europe yet when you look at UEFA's website they have Ukraine in 8th place?
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby South Stand Balti » Sun May 10, 2015 8:57 pm

Not too bothered about our pot. The bin dippers were in pot 3 but got an easier draw than we have ever had. I had nt even heard of one of the teams.
South Stand Balti
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: Manchester City FC
My favourite player is: Yaya

Postby Im_Spartacus » Sun May 10, 2015 9:16 pm

South Stand Balti wrote:Not too bothered about our pot. The bin dippers were in pot 3 but got an easier draw than we have ever had. I had nt even heard of one of the teams.

Pot 2 is going to be a godsend with the new seeding, believe me. Just assuming .real don't win the champs league, this is how it would look.

Pot 1: Barcelona, Bayern, Chelsea, Juventus, PSG, Zenit, Benfica, PSV or Kiev

Pot 2: Arsenal, Rags, Real Madrid, Atletico, Valencia, Leverkusen, Porto, City/Napoli

If Napoli win the Europa league, we need to really hope that Valencia, Leverkusen or the Rags get dumped in the qualifiers, as the potential groups could be horrendous for us in pot 3.

There's not many sides who are likely to be in pot 3 who should be too much of a concern, so it's imperative we end up in pot 2, but at the moment it's in the hands of others. We really need Napoli to not beat Dnipro, as I think a win giives them the points they need to edge us out.

Best case scenario in pot 3 would be PSV, Porto, City + 1 other
Worst case scenario in pot 3 would be Bayern, Real Madrid, City + 1 other like Galatasaray........a horrific prospect.
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby DoomMerchant » Sun May 10, 2015 9:33 pm

Im_Spartacus wrote:
South Stand Balti wrote:Not too bothered about our pot. The bin dippers were in pot 3 but got an easier draw than we have ever had. I had nt even heard of one of the teams.

Pot 2 is going to be a godsend with the new seeding, believe me. Just assuming .real don't win the champs league, this is how it would look.

Pot 1: Barcelona, Bayern, Chelsea, Juventus, PSG, Zenit, Benfica, PSV or Kiev

Pot 2: Arsenal, Rags, Real Madrid, Atletico, Valencia, Leverkusen, Porto, City/Napoli

If Napoli win the Europa league, we need to really hope that Valencia, Leverkusen or the Rags get dumped in the qualifiers, as the potential groups could be horrendous for us in pot 3.

There's not many sides who are likely to be in pot 3 who should be too much of a concern, so it's imperative we end up in pot 2, but at the moment it's in the hands of others. We really need Napoli to not beat Dnipro, as I think a win giives them the points they need to edge us out.

Best case scenario in pot 3 would be PSV, Porto, City + 1 other
Worst case scenario in pot 3 would be Bayern, Real Madrid, City + 1 other like Galatasaray........a horrific prospect.

i expect a horrific draw yet again. Wouldn't be the cunt's league if we didn't get one.

it's a joke really. i hate it.

cheers
viVa el ciTy!

"All things considered, there's absolutely no escape from this hellish situation. I'm prepared to take the coward's way out if you are. It's reincarnation or nothing." -- Gideon Stargrave

DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: MCFC. OK.
My favourite player is: The Game

Postby Piccsnumberoneblue » Sun May 10, 2015 9:34 pm

Finish in Pot 3 and there is a try awful draw awaiting. Potentially worse than ever
City and sniffing knickers.
Come on Blues.
Piccsnumberoneblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Supporter of: Us

Postby Piccsnumberoneblue » Mon May 11, 2015 7:57 am

Just looking at it further. We can expect the filth to get a fairly easy draw as they will be in Pot 2 if they get through a qualifier. However 37 points drop off from five years ago, which leaves them starting the campaign on around 67. At the same time 17 drop off from us, starting us on 71 ish. It is therefore imperative we qualify from our group and match the rag twats for the benefit of the following season. We have to break the cycle of shitty groups if we are going to ever progress past the last 16. We could really do with finishing top of the pile for once.
At the same time Dortmund's coefficient will be down by about seven points for missing out this year and Schalke's by about 27. This will put them on around 92 and 84 respectively. Targets we could realistically hope for by having a good campaign in Europe.
This system is so annoying but we can make it start working for us by shaping ourselves.
Come on Blues.
Piccsnumberoneblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby blues2win » Mon May 11, 2015 8:51 am

Are we losing coefficient points because we came third or second in the Premier League rather winning it? Don't we get any points for getting through our group last time? From what I read above we're in Pot 2 unless Napoli win their next two matches AND the Spanish League champions also win the CL.

We can't complain too much about the format now. If we'd won the League we'd be in Pot 1 unlike the last two times we won it.
blues2win
Bert Trautmann's Neck

My favourite player is: david silva

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Mon May 11, 2015 9:00 am

blues2win wrote:Are we losing coefficient points because we came third or second in the Premier League rather winning it? Don't we get any points for getting through our group last time? From what I read above we're in Pot 2 unless Napoli win their next two matches AND the Spanish League champions also win the CL.

We can't complain too much about the format now. If we'd won the League we'd be in Pot 1 unlike the last two times we won it.

No, domestic performance has no bearing on coefficient points.

We got 5 points for qualifying from group stage.

Napoli's matches in the Europa League we're looking out for mate, not Serie A.

And on the last bit, if Bayern or Juve win the CL then the 8th strongest league goes pot 1 which will bump us down one place.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby Piccsnumberoneblue » Mon May 11, 2015 9:06 am

It is based on five years performance in Europe. Five years ago we gained 16 coefficient points which drop off next year to be replaced by how we do in the forthcoming season.
Likewise the shite got 36 points five years ago, which will probably bring their total down from the 103 it stands at now.
Come on Blues.
Piccsnumberoneblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Im_Spartacus » Mon May 11, 2015 10:11 am

Piccsnumberoneblue wrote:It is based on five years performance in Europe. Five years ago we gained 16 coefficient points which drop off next year to be replaced by how we do in the forthcoming season.
Likewise the shite got 36 points five years ago, which will probably bring their total down from the 103 it stands at now.

Interesting to see that our much derided first foray into the champions league, gave us more coefficient points (20) than this year where we qualified from the group stages! (17)

Goes to show that to maintain your coefficient, 10 points in the group stage really counts for more than limping through and getting dicked in the next round.
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby Im_Spartacus » Thu May 14, 2015 6:58 am

In response to a question in another thread, if a club which wins the champions league also qualifies through being champions of their national league, then the place goes to the league winners in the 8th ranked country. As both Juventus and Barcelona have won their league, that now definitely moves Dynamo Kiev above us and into pot 1 (or PSV depending on who you believe)

if Napoli win tonight, I believe they will also move above us on coefficient points although I'm a little unclear whether their current standing on the uefa website includes last week's draw (unless I've done my sums wrong, they should be 2 points behind us and will get 2 points should they win tonight, and a point for reaching the next round). But if they win the Europa league, we will definitely be in pot 3 unless one of United, Valencia or Leverkusen fail to qualify.

The only other scenario is that if the strike in Spain stops the season from finishing, with no confirmed league positions no Spanish team would qualify (except Barcelona if they win the CL). Of course the chances of Real Madrid allowing that to happen are remote in the extreme.
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Thu May 14, 2015 8:18 am

This is an up to date coefficient table Sparty

http://kassiesa.home.xs4all.nl/bert/uef ... k2015.html

Updated last night. They are just under 3 points behind us at the moment so you're spot on, if they win tonight they move above us in the seedlings.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby Im_Spartacus » Thu May 14, 2015 8:32 am

Foreverinbluedreams wrote:This is an up to date coefficient table Sparty

Updated last night. They are just under 3 points behind us at the moment so you're spot on, if they win tonight they move above us in the seedlings.

Fuck, I was hoping I'd done my maths wrong and the UEFA website was right.

I assume the qualifying round is rigged/seeded in some way so that there's chance of United/Valencia/Leverkusen drawing each other?

I've honestly never heard of Dnipro, but the game is on their patch tonight I think, so still a chance.
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Thu May 14, 2015 8:35 am

Im_Spartacus wrote:
Foreverinbluedreams wrote:This is an up to date coefficient table Sparty

Fuck, I was hoping I'd done my maths wrong and the UEFA website was right.

I assume the qualifying round is rigged/seeded in some way so that there's chance of United/Valencia/Leverkusen drawing each other?

I've honestly never heard of Dnipro, but the game is on their patch tonight I think, so still a chance.

I've been doing a bit of research on them, seems they are a defensively minded team. They did a smash and grab in Naples last week so have the away goal, they did ride their luck though, fingers crossed they can shut Napoli out tonight.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Next

Return to The Maine Football forum