sterling

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: sterling

Postby zuricity » Sun Aug 09, 2015 1:32 pm

Slim wrote:
zuricity wrote:
Slim wrote:If he stays for 10 years and racks up 300+ games for City, no-one will care what we paid for him. Record transfer for a british defender is 12 years old and no-one is saying he was a waste of money.

What a right waste of money Ferdinand was.

My mistake, no-one but zuricity is saying he was a waste of money.

Well someone's got to pull you up for such outrageous statements !
"Well I'll go to the foot of our stairs."
zuricity
Joe Corrigan's Gloves

Postby MilnersJaw » Sun Aug 09, 2015 1:38 pm

It is a gamble yes. We paid a world class fee for someone who isn't world class and based mainly on potential. He is here now so we should get behind him; if he does become world class and Madrid come sniffing he will fuck off though, no doubt about it, could make a profit, it could go tits up.
Still here.
MilnersJaw
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Silver

Postby bigblue » Sun Aug 09, 2015 2:09 pm

MilnersJaw wrote:It is a gamble yes. We paid a world class fee for someone who isn't world class and based mainly on potential. He is here now so we should get behind him; if he does become world class and Madrid come sniffing he will fuck off though, no doubt about it, could make a profit, it could go tits up.

thanks for the insight pal...
bigblue
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: Manchester's Only
My favourite player is: Yaya

Postby Original Dub » Sun Aug 09, 2015 2:30 pm

bigblue wrote:
MilnersJaw wrote:It is a gamble yes. We paid a world class fee for someone who isn't world class and based mainly on potential. He is here now so we should get behind him; if he does become world class and Madrid come sniffing he will fuck off though, no doubt about it, could make a profit, it could go tits up.

thanks for the insight pal...

And the hits just keep on rolling.
Original Dub

Postby lets all have a disco » Sun Aug 09, 2015 2:34 pm

I don't care if its a gamble or not or how much he cost.

Every can has given him loads of shit and it continues now you only have to see his posts on twitter and the comments to see that. I'd back him even if he had cost 100 million I'm desperate for him to shut every one of them up.
He was never me,me,me but always you,you,you
lets all have a disco
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: Manchester City FC
My favourite player is: STILL MICAH RICHARDS

Postby PrezIke » Sun Aug 09, 2015 2:40 pm

gmercer1 wrote:I honestly believe he will be the buy of the season in the whole premier league.

He's been my favourite player in the league outside of our own for the last two seasons to watch, and was delighted to learn we were in for him after the season ended.

Can't keep saying this enough, that he's exactly what our team has needed. I think he's gonna kill it, and we will have no regrets.
PrezIke
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: KDBeezy

Postby Saul Goodman » Sat Oct 10, 2015 1:16 am

Reading stuff online it sounds like he continued his disappointing streak today. Worrying.
Saul Goodman
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

My favourite player is: Bernardo Silva

Postby WhyAlwaysMe? » Sat Oct 10, 2015 2:17 am

Saul Goodman wrote:Reading stuff online it sounds like he continued his disappointing streak today. Worrying.

Here is Sterling's beautiful goal to enjoy... He also had a number of other shots on target....
Raheem was able to score, as soon as he moved to the middle of the box, instead of being stuck on the left wing... If Raheem can repeat this move, City should be OK for goals.
Watch on youtube.com
WhyAlwaysMe?
Superman's Underpants

My favourite player is: Sergio Aguero

Postby Saul Goodman » Sat Oct 10, 2015 4:37 am

Did the goal just gloss over an otherwise weak performance though?
Saul Goodman

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Sat Oct 10, 2015 8:06 am

Saul Goodman wrote:Did the goal just gloss over an otherwise weak performance though?

If that's what the experts are saying then that's what happened.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Euthanasia

Postby Original Dub » Sat Oct 10, 2015 10:04 am

Saul Goodman wrote:Did the goal just gloss over an otherwise weak performance though?

Oh dear...
Original Dub

Postby Beefymcfc » Sat Oct 10, 2015 10:13 am

Why do people expect Sterling to automatically transition into our side? Most players get at least half a season to get into their stride but there seems to be unprecedented numbers believing he should become world class overnight.

Sterling has proved already that he can become an integral cog in our system, opening the space when there was very little, and as he gets used to our play, and team mates get to know him better, I think that there's little doubt in my mind that he'll go from strength to strength.

Maybe the pesimistic view comes from the medias, and Dippers, scathing reporting of his transfer and the aftermath is that he has to prove himself immediately.

Personnally I'm happy at where he is at so far and with possible injuries, will look forward to see him tear teams new arses, down the middle.
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby clippo22 » Sat Oct 10, 2015 10:17 am

Beefymcfc wrote:Why do people expect Sterling to automatically transition into our side? Most players get at least half a season to get into their stride but there seems to be unprecedented numbers believing he should become world class overnight.

Sterling has proved already that he can become an integral cog in our system, opening the space when there was very little, and as he gets used to our play, and team mates get to know him better, I think that there's little doubt in my mind that he'll go from strength to strength.

Maybe the pesimistic view comes from the medias, and Dippers, scathing reporting of his transfer and the aftermath is that he has to prove himself immediately.

Personnally I'm happy at where he is at so far and with possible injuries, will look forward to see him tear teams new arses, down the middle.

I agree! Everybody has the knives out for Sterling since he moved and as such whatever rating out off 10 he gets in a match will straight away be dropped by 2 from the press and Scouse scum!

I now worry that with Sergio injured he will be under even more scrutiny being played through the middle.
clippo22
Darius Vassell's Composure

Supporter of: City!!!
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby Beefymcfc » Sat Oct 10, 2015 10:25 am

clippo22 wrote:
Beefymcfc wrote:Why do people expect Sterling to automatically transition into our side? Most players get at least half a season to get into their stride but there seems to be unprecedented numbers believing he should become world class overnight.

I agree! Everybody has the knives out for Sterling since he moved and as such whatever rating out off 10 he gets in a match will straight away be dropped by 2 from the press and Scouse scum!

I now worry that with Sergio injured he will be under even more scrutiny being played through the middle.

And I think that is where he will shine. Everytime I've seen him play that position he always causes problems for the oppo and with good players around him I'm sure he can step up to the plate.

What shouldn't be asked is that he becomes a focus of our team, heaping huge pressure on his shoulders at such an age. Swaives of the media hoard will surely try to turn him into a scape-goat if things don't go to plan but at least we're noticing that because of his international connections, the furore is calming down and they have no choice but to support their English ties. A bit like Wiggy being shite for years but still getting accoldaes just because he turns up.
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby clippo22 » Sat Oct 10, 2015 10:40 am

Beefymcfc wrote:
clippo22 wrote:

And I think that is where he will shine. Everytime I've seen him play that position he always causes problems for the oppo and with good players around him I'm sure he can step up to the plate.

What shouldn't be asked is that he becomes a focus of our team, heaping huge pressure on his shoulders at such an age. Swaives of the media hoard will surely try to turn him into a scape-goat if things don't go to plan but at least we're noticing that because of his international connections, the furore is calming down and they have no choice but to support their English ties. A bit like Wiggy being shite for years but still getting accoldaes just because he turns up.

Yeah definitely! I think the cynical ones out to get him will class him as playing 'up front' and will judge him on goals. Whereas if he does play centrally for us it will be in a more 'false 9' position where he will be more influencing the players around him and creating space and pulling defenders out of position. So it's harder to judge him on how effective he will be at doing that making it easier for people to wheel out the stats.

I think it's important that us fans continue to encourage and support him because he isn't going to get it anywhere else! He's had a tough start to his career with us but I think he's handling it well and an upturn in form is just around the corner.
clippo22
Darius Vassell's Composure

Supporter of: City!!!
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby Beefymcfc » Sat Oct 10, 2015 10:58 am

clippo22 wrote:
Beefymcfc wrote:
clippo22 wrote:

Yeah definitely! I think the cynical ones out to get him will class him as playing 'up front' and will judge him on goals. Whereas if he does play centrally for us it will be in a more 'false 9' position where he will be more influencing the players around him and creating space and pulling defenders out of position. So it's harder to judge him on how effective he will be at doing that making it easier for people to wheel out the stats.

I think it's important that us fans continue to encourage and support him because he isn't going to get it anywhere else! He's had a tough start to his career with us but I think he's handling it well and an upturn in form is just around the corner.

And the biggest thing for us is that we can actually talk about these players and the positions they can play. To be able to talk about Sterling down the middle or KDB et al playing left, right or centre just shows our strength in depth, which can only be a good thing when in a bad situation.

Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby WhyAlwaysMe? » Sat Oct 10, 2015 1:48 pm

No, Sterling gave a fine performance & never gave up on scoring, against an Estonian side that essentially parked a bus in front of their goal, for the entire 90 minutes.
Unlike Milner, Raheem's shots were on target, including his goal.
Joe Hart had absolutely nothing to do and could have slept through the match!

There isn't any side in the world that doesn't struggle against a team that defends with every man blocking the goal. What Sterling has learned at City, is the patience to wait for that one lightning quick opening, where he can get past stonewall defending. Milner, Barkley, Lallana, Oxlade-Chamberlain & especially Kane, all blew very similar chances, right in front of the goal.

Raheem Sterling actually managed to score, from Vardy's perfect cross, even with a defender tackling him, at the same time! Sterling & Vardy created the space to score, where there had been practically no space, all match... It may not make for exciting viewing, but it was a notable achievement, nevertheless.

Since you didn't watch the match, here are plenty of photos:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... g-win.html
WhyAlwaysMe?
Superman's Underpants

Postby Saul Goodman » Sat Oct 10, 2015 5:51 pm

Cheers. Like i said, i didnt watch the match so i wanted a City fan's opinion of his play
Saul Goodman

Postby South Stand Balti » Sat Oct 10, 2015 10:21 pm

Saul Goodman wrote:Cheers. Like i said, i didnt watch the match so i wanted a City fan's opinion of his play

I think the goal did gloss over an otherwise poor performance. Sterling was no different to the rest though. We did enough to get by. I thought Sterling was massively over rated when he was a dipper, as most of us did. The media has a Scouse bias which exaggerated Sterling's talent. He is a tricky little fucker. He can be a match winner and he does look great on MOTD in edited clips. He is also very young and can improve. He seems to link up well with Silva too which was very encouraging at first. I think all of the above applied to Adam Johnson too. I'm hoping Sterling can play a central role in Agueto's absence where I think he may be far more effective.
South Stand Balti
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

My favourite player is: Yaya

Postby WhyAlwaysMe? » Sat Oct 10, 2015 10:53 pm

Saul Goodman wrote:Cheers. Like i said, i didnt watch the match so i wanted a City fan's opinion of his play

All the applause seems to have been given to media darling, Ross Barkley. However, it doesn't matter how threatening Barkley looked, if he couldn't score the goals or assists.

Vardy took Sterling's place on the left wing and placed a perfect pass to Sterling, who was able to score, once he moved to the middle. City needs Sterling to play on the left wing... However, he may need to move to the middle, in order to score more goals. Harry Kane was unable to score the goal that Sterling finally did.

The most talented forwards in the world, all have trouble scoring against a team that "parks a bus," in front of their goal. So, I give my applause & credit to Sterling & Walcott, for somehow finding a way to get past the Estonian wall!
WhyAlwaysMe?
Superman's Underpants

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum